User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2023, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Gypsy is a great song but does not scream hit. It has no chorus. Its a very untraditional hit song in that sense.
But it was the 80s. Video clips ruled. So Gypsy was meant to be a hit from the first time it was aired in MTV.
Old 01-18-2023, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
But it was the 80s. Video clips ruled. So Gypsy was meant to be a hit from the first time it was aired in MTV.
I never said it was not going to be a hit. I said its an unconventional hit in that it has no chorus. Stevie was at the peak of her powers with Bella Donna still high on the carts. She could do no wrong especially with a record breaking cost (at that time) for a video.
However back to the original conversation. Pretend you are listening to Mirage for the first time. What song jumps out at you as the lead single. IMHO Hold Me jumps in front of everything. Warner Bros was right because the song holds the record for most weeks in the top 10 and on the charts. It got log jammed at #4 for 7 weeks! Besides the other weeks in the top 10, it was at #4 for almost 2 months straight. If Hold Me was released about a month earlier, I think it would have claimed that #1 spot.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-18-2023 at 08:24 AM..
Old 01-18-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Yes, Macfan4life is very weird. I'm glad we agree.
They don't understand when the moon is full and bright, that's why they hide behind the mask but in Time they will dance then say they will.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Pretend you are listening to Mirage for the first time. What song jumps out at you as the lead single. .
Love in Store, and Eyes of the World. Those are my favorite songs from Mirage (with Gypsy too). I liked other songs too but those mentioned are my fave.

I guess EOTW wasn't even a single, but I remember I felt it could be a hit when I played the album at home.

And back to Tango, the title song was one of my favorites. I didn't see that song as a single or top hit in radios, but I great successor of I'm So Afraid in concerts. Unfortunately I never saw that.
Old 01-18-2023, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Love in Store, and Eyes of the World. Those are my favorite songs from Mirage (with Gypsy too). I liked other songs too but those mentioned are my fave.

I guess EOTW wasn't even a single, but I remember I felt it could be a hit when I played the album at home.

And back to Tango, the title song was one of my favorites. I didn't see that song as a single or top hit in radios, but I great successor of I'm So Afraid in concerts. Unfortunately I never saw that.
No doubt the title track is one of the highlights of the album. It should have opened the album and they should have let Lindsey play out more. As soon as he gets cooking, it fades out.
The band was not getting along and barely made it through 2 video shoots. But I always thought if they even did a basic and cheap video for Love In Store (perhaps a live lip sync), the single would have charted much better. 1982 was peak for video play on MTV. It was almost unheard of to have a hit single with no video back then.
It sucks we only got one more tour with Chris and Lindsey together. Isn't It Midnight and Tango In The Night would be stellar live tracks. Without those 2 songs, the album would all be programmed synth pop. Its nice to hear a little girth on there. Sadly it was the seasoning or appetizer and should have been the main course.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 01-18-2023 at 01:58 PM..
Old 01-19-2023, 08:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy is one of the most beautiful Fleetwood Mac songs ever, and one of the most beautiful songs ever, in general. It really showcases how amazing the five of them were/are as artists and musicians. But I can see why Hold Me was a bigger hit. Hold Me was a catchy pop tune. It was perfect for the early MTV era. And I will compliment Lindsey and Christine here by saying that only Fleetwood Mac can make a song that is 90% chorus and the chorus only being two words repeated several times sound so good and so catchy.
Old 01-19-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
Gypsy is one of the most beautiful Fleetwood Mac songs ever, and one of the most beautiful songs ever, in general. It really showcases how amazing the five of them were/are as artists and musicians. But I can see why Hold Me was a bigger hit. Hold Me was a catchy pop tune. It was perfect for the early MTV era. And I will compliment Lindsey and Christine here by saying that only Fleetwood Mac can make a song that is 90% chorus and the chorus only being two words repeated several times sound so good and so catchy.
Don't Stop! Tell me Lies!
Old 01-20-2023, 01:15 AM
Senior Ledgie

I guess I'm alone in this - but my fav Tango-era Stevie song is "Joan Of Arc" - that 80s weird dark wave sound. That def would go on my Tango track list.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:17 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGloff View Post
I guess I'm alone in this - but my fav Tango-era Stevie song is "Joan Of Arc" - that 80s weird dark wave sound. That def would go on my Tango track list.
After Seven Wonders, Joan of Arc is probably the best Tango in the Night era Stevie song. It's a shame Joan of Arc never appeared on the deluxe edition.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyGloff View Post
Love Joan of Arc.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi! The only change I would make on the album is You & I, Part I, instead of When I See You Again...that would made it a better album!
Old 01-24-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Hi! The only change I would make on the album is You & I, Part I, instead of When I See You Again...that would made it a better album!
I love that idea!