The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Condi Rice to testify--in public and under oath. . .

Breaking news on CNN.com. Well, this ought to be interesting. Wonder when it suddenly became alright for her to testify?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Polling suggested it would be a wise thing. But, W is rising in the polls according to all major news sources. Then again K has been on vacation and undergoing surgery.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's mighty generous of her.

- Jake
Old 03-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
Polling suggested it would be a wise thing. But, W is rising in the polls according to all major news sources. Then again K has been on vacation and undergoing surgery.
CNN/USA Today has Bush rising. Rasmussen and Zogby both have Kerry in front.
I fully expect Dr. Rice to lie her ass off. Hope they nail her.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:07 PM

Evidently it doesn't seem to matter much to the American people that the Bush facists get caught in lie after lie. Dubya is gaining against Kerry as the Republican thugs continue to paint Kerry as a tax-and-spend liberal:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ain/index.html

How they could make the tax-and-spend charge stick at this point is beyond me, considering the economic mess the Bush cadre has gotten us in.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
I fully expect Dr. Rice to lie her ass off. Hope they nail her.

After her public displays this last week, I have no respect for the woman. I didn't have much before this, but now? What a cold and calculating sow.

Old 03-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

See, this is the thing that I just don't understand. How many times has the Bush administration flip-flopped under public pressure in just the last couple of months alone? The economy is in the toilet, and it seems like every other job in this country is being outsourced, and to top it all off, gas prices are skyrocketing. Meanwhile, we've got hundreds of innocent Americans dying in Iraq in a war which was begun under less than truthful pretexts by the Bush administration. And yet he's still this high up in the polls? WTF is that about? Are these people asleep or just stupid? I'm not that wild about Kerry either but he's got to be a damn sight better than what we've got in there now!
Old 03-30-2004, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

May I add cold, calculating, GAP TOOTHED sow ?
Hated it last year when Oprah was kissing Rice's sorry butt. I love me some Oprah, but that made me a little suspicious.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default it's all a distraction, imho..

should Condi testify under oath in public? Absolulety. And so should President Clinton, President Bush, Gore, Cheney, etc. Something as horrific as 9/11 deserves complete transparancy, and I say start at the top.

Condi Rice is too bright to perjure herself, so I think she'll be honest, although she will choose her words carefully. Something that is getting lost in this whole media driven story are some of the findings of the 9/11 commission that have been released.

Instead, we focus on Clarke's credibility and Rice's public under oath testimony. I once again shake my head at the American press for not making some of the findings of the commission more relevant in their reporting.

Some of the commission's findings have not been too flattering for both the Bush and Clinton Administrations, and since there is quite a bit of evidence before the committee, Rice will not take the risk under oath. Like I said, she will choose her words wisely.

It should be interesting. I'll be watching.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: it's all a distraction, imho..

Quote:
Originally posted by Keith
Condi Rice is too bright to perjure herself, so I think she'll be honest, although she will choose her words carefully. Something that is getting lost in this whole media driven story are some of the findings of the 9/11 commission that have been released.
She's not bright enough to stop contradicting herself with every new television appearance. First she said that Clarke wasn't a part of most meetings, then she said he was involved in all of them two days later. Then, she says that he didn't do a very good job and wasn't aggressive enough in his terror plans. Three days later, she says that his plans were brilliant and he was very hands on. She's a major part of ChimpCo, of course she'll perjure herself. Do any of us actually think that she'll say *anything* that's even somewhat negative about the admin? Hell no. She's going to get up there and say that everything was done to prevent terrorism. The same old ****. Typical Republican...now begins the cover-up.

If Richard Clarke is as big a liar as they're making him out to be, why won't they declassify the emails and letters that he asked to be made public? Because they just support what he's been saying. Also, no one is even mentioning that his story is almost exactly like O'Neill's.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
should Condi testify under oath in public? Absolulety. And so should President Clinton, President Bush, Gore, Cheney, etc. Something as horrific as 9/11 deserves complete transparancy, and I say start at the top.

Instead, we focus on Clarke's credibility and Rice's public under oath testimony. I once again shake my head at the American press for not making some of the findings of the commission more relevant in their reporting.

Some of the commission's findings have not been too flattering for both the Bush and Clinton Administrations, and since there is quite a bit of evidence before the committee, Rice will not take the risk under oath. Like I said, she will choose her words wisely.

It should be interesting. I'll be watching.
ITA agree.

Moreover, I think Rice's 60 Minutes interview was her chance to spin it before millions of 60 minute watchers. I think she is far to bright to attempt to lie under oath, esp. when she does not have to in that everyone already knows what she is going to say because she said it Sun. night. But, we shall see.

Interestingly, everyone knows W's WH dropped the ball in that they did not connect the dots and no one seems to fault them for that. So it is sort of a tempest in a teapot unless she drops a bombshell, which I can assure you she is rehearsing right now to avoid doing.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/03/op...03SAT1.html?th

The Mystery Deepens

Published: April 3, 2004

The Bush administration's handling of the bipartisan commission investigating the 9/11 tragedy grows worse β€” and more oddly self-destructive β€” with each passing day. Following its earlier attempts to withhold documents from the panel and then to deny its members vital testimony, we now learn that President Bush's staff has been withholding thousands of pages of Clinton administration papers as well.

Bill Clinton authorized the release of nearly 11,000 pages of files on his administration's antiterrorism efforts for use by the commission. But aides to Mr. Clinton said the White House, which now has control of the papers, vetoed the transfer of over three-quarters of them. The White House held the documents for more than six weeks, apparently without notifying the commission, and might have kept them indefinitely if Bruce Lindsey, the general counsel of Mr. Clinton's presidential foundation, had not publicly complained this week. Yesterday the commission said the White House had agreed to allow its lawyers to review the withheld documents, but without guaranteeing any would be released.

This latest distressing episode followed the White House's pattern of resisting the commission in private and then, once the dispute becomes public, reluctantly giving up the minimum amount of ground. Earlier in the week, Mr. Bush finally agreed to allow Condoleezza Rice, the national security adviser, to testify under oath β€” but only after extracting a commitment that the commission would not seek any further public testimony from any White House official. After months of foot-dragging, Mr. Bush also grudgingly agreed to let the panel question him and Vice President Dick Cheney privately. Last year the Pentagon, the Justice Department and other agencies stonewalled the commission's requests for documents until its chairman, Thomas Kean, the former Republican governor of New Jersey, complained publicly.

Explaining the latest act of obstruction, Scott McClellan, the president's spokesman, said on Thursday that some documents were duplicative, unrelated or "highly sensitive." The White House, he said, had given the commission "all the information they need." Mr. Bush's staff should not be making that judgment. The commission's 10 members can be trusted with sensitive material.

Moreover, given the repeated criticism of this administration's obsessive secrecy on other issues, it is astonishing that it would still withhold anything that did not pose an immediate and dire threat to national security. The American people would like to know that they have a government that freely gives information to legitimate investigations on matters of grave national interest, not one that fights each reasonable request until it is exposed and forced to submit. The White House is serving no public purpose by acting less interested than the rest of us in having this commission do its vital work. Its ham-handed behavior is also gravely damaging the entire concept of executive privilege
Old 04-05-2004, 01:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

These are the same People who stole an election, lied to the American people about WMD's and uranium to lead us into an illegal war which they had been planning all along. They outed the identity of a CIA agent when they thought her husband would blow the whistle on them. Our vice president conducted secret meetings with an energy task force and won't tell the American people what they talked about. He's now being sued for it and one of the Supreme Court Justices goes on Air Force Two on a duck hunting trip with him but refuses to recuse himself from the case. The same vice president's former employer, of which he was an officer and whom he is still being paid by, is awarded lucrative no bid contracts for a variety of services here and in Iraq. They're brazen liars. I see no reason why they would conduct themselves any differently in this situation.
And yes, people have a right to know how this could have happened to us. But do you honestly think we're going to get a straight answer from this crew?
Condoleeza Rice is an expert on the Cold War. However when it comes to the Middle East, she was grossly underqualified for the role of National Security Advisor. They were told and told again, Islamic jihadists were our biggest threat, not Poland, Czechoslovokia or Russia.

Last edited by gldstwmn; 04-05-2004 at 01:35 AM..
Old 04-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Tomorrow should be an interesting day.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by gldstwmn
Tomorrow should be an interesting day.

They'll have to play fake appaulse for her like they did for Shrub at that baseball game.