The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: what next for LB?
More US solo tour dates before the end of the year 8 19.51%
Some UK/EU solo dates (either this year or interspersed with FM tour next year) 4 9.76%
New solo album or EP 5 12.20%
FM EP before starting the tour next year 6 14.63%
BN reissue and a short tour somewhere before or after FM tour 2 4.88%
All of the above 11 26.83%
None of the above 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
That just wounds.
I'm really sorry, CAD. That was definitley not my intent, to wound a friend. I love FM and I like BN too. You know that. But I prefer solo Lindsey (live or album) over everything else, no question about it. Stevie's voice hasn't been good in years. And as has been mentioned, songs such as Peacekeeper and SYHA are what I was thinking of (among others) when I said I didn't want her voice on his songs. I like the way he did them on his own. Lindsey harmonizing with Lindsey is a thing of beauty But I could have said it nicer. Which isn't to say I don't still like earlier work between them. I also think the original GOS is a masterpiece and I don't want to take the 8 songs Lindsey supposedly has written and break them up into 4 or 5 and maybe never even hear the others. I want all eight together - not 4 here, 2 there, and 2 more not at all. If he did in fact write them with FM in mind though, then it will be easier to accept. In a perfect world I'd get a new solo album AND a new FM album. But our band is not getting any younger, so I want as much Lindsey solo first and foremost.

And since we already know FM is touring, I do hope very much that they include BN songs...and not just one or two of them. That would be sweet. I get the impression Lindsey would like that too, so I'm guessing it'll be up to Stevie What I don't want is a BN tour following a FM tour, since it will simply take too much time.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i don't really understand this... are you saying he's making up this stuff for some reason? why would he need to do that?
Ham.

Michele
Old 09-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
This much is true. The only example that comes to mind where Stevie DID ruin one of Lindsey's songs with her vocals is Peacekeeper. I thought it was far superior without Stevie's overly reedy backing vocals.

But there are a hundred instances where her backing vocals had the exact opposite effect. Songs like I'm So Afraid just seem bare & almost one dimensional without Stevie's presence.
This exactly - always.

I love the FM Peacekeeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
I'm So Afraid is absolutely amazing on this current tour - best version I have EVER heard. He certainly does not need Stevie anywhere near it!!!!!
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtulip View Post
Agree, totally. I don't think Stevie and Lindsey's voices mesh as well as they used to and Stevie's voice doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it did say, 20 or even 10 years ago. I much prefer Lindsey's current solo version of I'm So Afraid to any version he's done previously, with or without FM.
No, thanks. I thoroughly enjoy Lindsey's version, but it is 1000 times better with Stevie's harmony and the subtleness of it.

Quote:
While they are at it, throw some Buckingham Nicks songs in the set so we don't have to sit through that tour next and Lindsey can get back to where he belongs, doing his solo work.
OMG! That's just blasphemous. Please don't go to a BN show if they do tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Always thought the slow, low key way Stevie walks off the stage at the end of her ISA vocals is so amusing. She probably wanted to hitch up her dress and run off the stage full speed screaming. Poor girl has had to live with that thing since the BN days.

Quote:
Thought Stevie's vocals on Miranda were especially nice.
Love.

Quote:
i feel the same way. Lindsey may have let her and/or wanted her to be on those songs, but that doesn't mean we have to like how they ended up sounding. for example, a song we were listening to on our recent trip is What's The World Coming To, which i don't like much anyway... but i just physically can't stand it once when Stevie comes in with her quacking nasal voice. have to turn it off, and move to the next song.
I really want to be mad at you for that, but it's sort of funny... even though I of course 1000% totally DISAGREE!

Quote:
I don't think it is entirely myth. I think TiTN did delay a solo album and that wasn't Lindsey's choosing. SYW was a different matter. Ultimately, he wanted his songs on an FM album when he kept hitting a brick wall getting the label interest for a solo. And true, I agree that his songs sounded like he wanted (though maybe not SYHA and BTLH or My Little Demon before that) and he would have even had Stevie on Come. She is the one who demurred. Michele
Yeah, I'm talking more about The post Dance period. But, I still think the whole hi-jacking thing is exaggerated. They knew they were going to be doing SYW after The Dance. Stevie even said at an interview at the end of The Dance, they would be doing an album and they knew Christine was retiring and she wouldn't be involved, but they would be doing one in 5 years. So, Lindsey had songs in the can and he chose to use them on SYW. And then he says his stuff is "hi-jacked" by FM. LOL!!! That makes for good copy. By the way, he could have used their version of "I Am Waiting" on SYW. I would have liked to have heard a completed version of that instead of LB hi-jacking it for his solo project.

I mean, I have been of the opinion for eons that what that song was missing was a quacking, nasal voice doing harmony....

Quote:
i don't really understand this... are you saying he's making up this stuff for some reason? why would he need to do that?
Entertainment.

No, I think it's an exaggeration used for press purposes. Look, they have to create a little drama otherwise it's just a big snoozefest. So, when he says it was "hi-jacked" by Fleetwood Mac what he means is he was working on a solo project (because is just always working on stuff) and they were planning on doing the record and he looked up one day (because he was still working on the solo project) and it was time for FM to "reconvene" and damn he still wasn't finished with his solo project (because he's always working on one) and then he thought "hey, we'll just use this stuff I've already been conveniently working on and see if we like how Stevie and the guys sound on 'em" and the label said "we'd like the FM project first" and then Destiny Rules business stuff, blah, blah, blah...and you're gonna fall asleep here so -- Fleetwood Mac HIJACKED his stuff!

Quote:
Ham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
I'm really sorry, CAD. That was definitley not my intent, to wound a friend. I love FM and I like BN too. You know that. But I prefer solo Lindsey (live or album) over everything else, no question about it. Stevie's voice hasn't been good in years. And as has been mentioned, songs such as Peacekeeper and SYHA are what I was thinking of (among others) when I said I didn't want her voice on his songs. I like the way he did them on his own. Lindsey harmonizing with Lindsey is a thing of beauty But I could have said it nicer. Which isn't to say I don't still like earlier work between them. I also think the original GOS is a masterpiece and I don't want to take the 8 songs Lindsey supposedly has written and break them up into 4 or 5 and maybe never even hear the others. I want all eight together - not 4 here, 2 there, and 2 more not at all. If he did in fact write them with FM in mind though, then it will be easier to accept. In a perfect world I'd get a new solo album AND a new FM album. But our band is not getting any younger, so I want as much Lindsey solo first and foremost.

And since we already know FM is touring, I do hope very much that they include BN songs...and not just one or two of them. That would be sweet. I get the impression Lindsey would like that too, so I'm guessing it'll be up to Stevie What I don't want is a BN tour following a FM tour, since it will simply take too much time.
You're sweet. I understand your Lindsey love. I get it -- I really do!

But, they have both said time and time again they do not specifically write songs and put them in a "solo" bucket or a "FM" bucket. They just write and then they get together and see what works. Stevie has said only after they try things together or after she does a demo does she think it might work better as a solo song or a Fleetwood Mac song. I think Lindsey is the same way -- it's just stuff you're working on, ya know?

I want a BN tour. If it was presented in the right way - meaning not rolled into a FM show or a FM greatest hits - it would be something Stevie & Lindsey fans have never experienced before. If they worked the set list right and had other players involved. Eh. I dream, I know.

And, Stevie's voice isn't what it once when she was younger - neither is Lindsey's. But, her voice is still good and she can still sing awesome harmony.

Two is better than one!

Last edited by CADreaming; 09-13-2012 at 09:25 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I mean, I have been of the opinion for eons that what that song was missing was a quacking, nasal voice doing harmony....
actually i never liked IAW on UTS (although i loved LB's 92Y version), so wouldn't mind the version that we heard snippets of in DR doc.

Quote:
And, Stevie's voice isn't what it once when she was younger - neither is Lindsey's. But, her voice is still good and she can still sing awesome harmony.

Two is better than one!
yeah his voice is very different now, but Lindsey's current mature voice is much deeper and fuller than his young voice was. i love his current voice, and although in deeper register, it's incredibly strong these days, as you also experienced a month or so ago when you saw him, i'm sure. (and i strongly disliked his young voice regardless of the range he had).

so i'm with all who said two is not always better than one. yeah Lindsey would like BN tour, and that's one of the reasons i checked "all of the above" which includes that one, however much i personally may not care about it. but i've noticed BN tour/reissues received no votes so far as a preference even though if you go to some of the m&gs after LB's shows you'd think that's what so many people want.

reading through message string in this thread, sure - tastes are really really different (nothing new there!):

while people who prefer LB solo seem to all strongly prefer current extremely dark solo version of ISA, people who are more FM fans seem to prefer one or the other FM version... and there are some very different versions of ISA live, as we all well know, all great, but some just stir something deeper in you... the current one-man version just sent shivers down my spine every single time i heard it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-13-2012, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah, I'm talking more about The post Dance period. But, I still think the whole hi-jacking thing is exaggerated. They knew they were going to be doing SYW after The Dance. Stevie even said at an interview at the end of The Dance, they would be doing an album and they knew Christine was retiring and she wouldn't be involved, but they would be doing one in 5 years. So, Lindsey had songs in the can and he chose to use them on SYW.
But I don't think most of the GOS songs he had were unisex songs (so to speak). I think they were meant to be solo, not just up for grabs. I don't think it's just the sound that was meant to be his solo expression, but the words too for some of those songs. I just don't see Come (the starkest example) or even the more mellow Peacekeeper as something that he'd want to say from an FM pulpit.

Sure, I don't think the songs were hijacked. In the end, he wanted them on an FM album as his best bet of getting them to the listener of listeners, but I think when they were created they had another purpose and he was really hoping for a solo album, which hope didn't end up panning out.

Some of these songs I think he not only did not write for FM, but he would have been upset by the way FM would have made him compromise them. Of course, when Christine left, he didn't have to compromise as much. But sometimes he has it in his head that keyboards soften his message and I think, before the Dance, he wrote some of those songs definitely NOT wanting them to have that smooth FM sound. Unless he was girding for another Tusk battle, I just can't imagine him writing those songs without contemplating a definite solo purpose for them. His voice, his playing, only.

Obviously, he did want that sound, and those keyboards, for other songs, Steal Your Heart Away, for example.

I don't agree with the oft-cited argument that SYW sounds like two solo albums slapped together. But I do think some of those songs were geared solo on LB's part. Of course, the stuff he's written since then is an entirely different matter. All of UTS . . . definitely I see your argument there: that he just wrote and the songs didn't have a label, no FM versus LB. They were just songs that could have gone either way.

Michele
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ and if you listen to GOS 2001 version, that album just holds together so nicely... one of the most perfect albums i've ever heard.

(i know i always say all this, but it bears repeating and keeping in mind - and i also know i'm definitely not the only person who feels this way!)

SYW is not even close to the perfection GOS1 was. whoever's fault it is, and in my opinion it was mostly someone's in WB, every time i listen to that GOS1 from the beginning to the end, i just can't help but thinking they didn't allow us to have one of the best albums ever to see the light of the day. LB is much bigger person that i would ever be since he was apparently able to get over any resentment, chop those songs apart and disperse them over different albums.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
OMG! That's just blasphemous. Please don't go to a BN show if they do tour.
Oh I'll go. And I'll sit on Lindsey's side and scream for him and use Stevie's songs for bathroom breaks.

Quote:
You're right. Lindsey's voice isn't what it was when he was younger, it's matured and sounds 1000 times better.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Because the guitar solo on ISA just totally overshadows the rest of it, I can't say I have super strong feelings about the vocal, but this tour I did like the way he interpreted it. His vocal sounded fresh and inspired to me. When they can find new feeling in the way they sing such old songs (the way there are just always little new nuances in GDW, for example) I am always very impressed and reinvigorated as a fan.

Michele
Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Oh I'll go. And I'll sit on Lindsey's side and scream for him and use Stevie's songs for bathroom breaks.

although i hear watching LB playing on stage when he doesn't have to carry a song is a lot of fun too.

Quote:
You're right. Lindsey's voice isn't what it was when he was younger, it's matured and sounds 1000 times better.
exactly! (see my post above)
if only Lindsey would realize it too and stop trying to make it sound thin like his young voice was on his studio recordings.

Last edited by elle; 09-13-2012 at 10:30 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This needs no comment on its utter superiority.

*edit* I do have a comment now that I've thought it over a bit, ISA is all about the guitar solo really, no Stevie necessary. Exhibit A-Z is posted above.

Last edited by redtulip; 09-13-2012 at 10:50 PM..
Old 09-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i feel the same way. Lindsey may have let her and/or wanted her to be on those songs, but that doesn't mean we have to like how they ended up sounding. for example, a song we were listening to on our recent trip is What's The World Coming To, which i don't like much anyway... but i just physically can't stand it once when Stevie comes in with her quacking nasal voice. have to turn it off, and move to the next song.

quacking nasal voice! Best and most accurate description ever! And funny as hell!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

So true!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome to Multi-Quote night at The Ledge

Quote:
Of course it's not. Age does that. But Lindsey's voice has actually gotten better in many ways! You saw his solo concert. Shut Us Down? Go Insane? Seeds We Sow? His control from the softest, sweetest notes in SWS or NGBA, to the jaw-dropping big notes he reaches - and holds - in SUD or GI, for example is stunning! His range may not be what it used to be, but it's still pretty vast. The hair on my arms stands up listening to him. Like his songwriting, his voice seems to always be underrated...until people actually hear him live.

Quote:
yeah his voice is very different now, but Lindsey's current mature voice is much deeper and fuller than his young voice was. i love his current voice, and although in deeper register, it's incredibly strong these days, as you also experienced a month or so ago when you saw him, i'm sure. (and i strongly disliked his young voice regardless of the range he had).
Agreed! His mature voice is beautiful. It really is. He's known for his guitar skills, but people at the many concerts I went to were taken aback by the strength of his voice. It's another reason I liked SUD so much as an opener on the SWS tour. It so perfectly showcased both his guitar playing AND his voice, right out of the gate.

Quote:
In the end, he wanted them on an FM album as his best bet of getting them to the listener of listeners, but I think when they were created they had another purpose and he was really hoping for a solo album, which hope didn't end up panning out.
Agreed. And it's one of the things I love and admire about Lindsey. The fact that he wants to be heard more than anything - including the money. that's why he was willing to take a hit on SYW to make it a double album. It's why he gave aways Seeds We Sow (song) for free, and released the album on Amazon for $4.99 or something (it changed by a buck or two periodically). He wants people to at least give it a chance, and I know of a number of people unfamiliar with his solo stuff who did in fact listen because of the minimal cost - and became instant fans!

Quote:
I actually almost spilled my wine when I read this That's awesome.

Quote:
When they can find new feeling in the way they sing such old songs (the way there are just always little new nuances in GDW, for example) I am always very impressed and reinvigorated as a fan.
GDW is a perfect example of when they get it right. It was one of my favorite parts of the Unleashed tour, and I always look forward to hearing it. I'd love to see them work that kind of magic on more of the songs.

Quote:
This needs no comment on its utter superiority.

Exhibit A-Z is posted above.
I almost spilled my drink again And I really want to comment on the video...it's a show-stopper no matter who he plays it with or if he plays it alone. I love it in all it's forms, but in a extra-intimate venue, all alone on the stage, with the emotion he never fails to bring forth, it's chilling and breathtaking. Seeing it played at arm's length truly is like a religious experience, it's that emotional.

--------------------------------
Old 09-14-2012, 12:00 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
^ and if you listen to GOS 2001 version, that album just holds together so nicely... one of the most perfect albums i've ever heard.

(i know i always say all this, but it bears repeating and keeping in mind - and i also know i'm definitely not the only person who feels this way!)

SYW is not even close to the perfection GOS1 was. whoever's fault it is, and in my opinion it was mostly someone's in WB, every time i listen to that GOS1 from the beginning to the end, i just can't help but thinking they didn't allow us to have one of the best albums ever to see the light of the day. LB is much bigger person that i would ever be since he was apparently able to get over any resentment, chop those songs apart and disperse them over different albums.
I just downloaded GOS I a few weeks ago and was blown away. I don't know how to explain it, but all of the songs just sound so good one right after the other. I think when he split them up to three albums, it just lost some of the excellence of having all of these songs on one disc. I just saw an interview with Mick & Lindsey in 1998 and Lindsey was explaining how he had just finished up a solo album which he was releasing in the fall. It just sounds like the success of The Dance pushed Lindsey into scrapping the release of GOS I and lending the songs to a new FM album. What bothers me is the fact that his album was finished and ready to be released and somehow that was thwarted and prevented Lindsey from releasing a truly magnificent album.

I hope that there are extended dates for the solo tour before the big FM tour in 2013. I did enjoy seeing both of them in '09, though I have to say Lindsey's voice has matured nicely, while Stevie's has gotten a bit too nasally for my taste and it can take away from some of the harmonies. Just my opinion, of course
Old 09-14-2012, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

jetta07, I love you! You were at Council Bluffs or Des Moines? I was at both shows so we missed each other. Wish we would have met because I love everything you just posted!