Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Buckingham strips down

Buckingham strips down with latest album
gotorenotahoe.com

Lindsey Buckingham’s newest career turn stemmed from a risk during his time with Fleetwood Mac, the band that made him a star.

After millions in sales — and a soap-opera back story as famed as its hits — Buckingham left the band in the mid-1980s, but he returned for a 1990s reunion that still continues. It was during more recent reunion shows that Buckingham went out on a limb.

“I was doing (Fleetwood Mac hit) ‘Big Love’ on stage as just a single guitar piece, and I would do (solo hit) ‘Go Insane’ the same way,” he said in a Best Bets interview in January. “I think the transformation of those two songs from ensemble pieces on the records ended up being very profound in terms of my awareness. You really can connect with an audience with just a stripped down, voice-and-guitar approach.

“So for a few years, I was thinking about how you could capture that spirit, the real essence of it, and have it be the thread for the album. One or two guitars would do the entire work of the track, but I also would apply production over that,” he said.

That is the basis for “Under The Skin,” Buckingham’s 2006 CD that mostly features just guitar and voice. Buckingham will play those songs and past favorites at his show June 16 at Harrah’s Lake Tahoe.

Born in Palo Alto, Calif., in 1949, Buckingham was singing songs off the radio at age 2 and started playing guitar at age 5, according to his official biography.

By high school, Buckingham was playing in a band called Fritz, which later had Stevie Nicks as its singer. Soon after, Buckingham and Nicks had moved to Los Angeles as both a romantic duo and musical team. A Buckingham-Nicks album, released in 1974, did not do well, but it was heard by one important fan: Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood. Looking for new band members for the then-decades-old rock group, Fleetwood offered both Buckingham and Nicks the work.

With then-married bassist John McVie and keyboardist-singer Christine McVie, the 1975 version of Mac released a self-titled album. It became a big hit that was surpassed by its 1977 follow-up “Rumours.” But with that success came an emotional price exacted on the members of the band, as both couples split during the making of “Rumours.”

Buckingham stayed with the band through three more albums, but he left in 1986 after deciding not to tour with the band.

There are two future plans for Buckingham. First, there is another solo record in 2007, which he said may have more of a rock band feel. Then, Buckingham said at least a Fleetwood Mac tour would take place in 2008.

“I can’t answer whether there will be a new (Mac) album or not,” he told Best Bets. “A lot of groups from our generation seem to want to tour and fall back on the body of work, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

“But, if it had been up to me, after (2003’s album) ‘Say You Will,’ we’d just be a band and make albums and continue to evolve as a band. We’d do what we always have done, and there’s no reason bands from our generation can’t do that,” he said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6350.jpg (29.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
“I can’t answer whether there will be a new (Mac) album or not,” he told Best Bets.
No, Stevie pretty much answered that for you, Lindsey.

Quote:
“A lot of groups from our generation seem to want to tour and fall back on the body of work, and there’s nothing wrong with that.
Meh.

Quote:
“But, if it had been up to me, after (2003’s album) ‘Say You Will,’ we’d just be a band and make albums and continue to evolve as a band. We’d do what we always have done, and there’s no reason bands from our generation can’t do that,” he said.
Sigh. Yes.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Buckingham strips down with latest album
gotorenotahoe.com

Lindsey Buckingham’s newest career turn stemmed from a risk during his time with Fleetwood Mac, the band that made him a star.

After millions in sales — and a soap-opera back story as famed as its hits — Buckingham left the band in the mid-1980s, but he returned for a 1990s reunion that still continues. It was during more recent reunion shows that Buckingham went out on a limb.

“I was doing (Fleetwood Mac hit) ‘Big Love’ on stage as just a single guitar piece, and I would do (solo hit) ‘Go Insane’ the same way,” he said in a Best Bets interview in January. “I think the transformation of those two songs from ensemble pieces on the records ended up being very profound in terms of my awareness. You really can connect with an audience with just a stripped down, voice-and-guitar approach.

“So for a few years, I was thinking about how you could capture that spirit, the real essence of it, and have it be the thread for the album. One or two guitars would do the entire work of the track, but I also would apply production over that,” he said.

That is the basis for “Under The Skin,” Buckingham’s 2006 CD that mostly features just guitar and voice. Buckingham will play those songs and past favorites at his show June 16 at Harrah’s Lake Tahoe.

Born in Palo Alto, Calif., in 1949, Buckingham was singing songs off the radio at age 2 and started playing guitar at age 5, according to his official biography.

By high school, Buckingham was playing in a band called Fritz, which later had Stevie Nicks as its singer. Soon after, Buckingham and Nicks had moved to Los Angeles as both a romantic duo and musical team. A Buckingham-Nicks album, released in 1974, did not do well, but it was heard by one important fan: Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood. Looking for new band members for the then-decades-old rock group, Fleetwood offered both Buckingham and Nicks the work.

With then-married bassist John McVie and keyboardist-singer Christine McVie, the 1975 version of Mac released a self-titled album. It became a big hit that was surpassed by its 1977 follow-up “Rumours.” But with that success came an emotional price exacted on the members of the band, as both couples split during the making of “Rumours.”

Buckingham stayed with the band through three more albums, but he left in 1986 after deciding not to tour with the band.

There are two future plans for Buckingham. First, there is another solo record in 2007, which he said may have more of a rock band feel. Then, Buckingham said at least a Fleetwood Mac tour would take place in 2008.

“I can’t answer whether there will be a new (Mac) album or not,” he told Best Bets. “A lot of groups from our generation seem to want to tour and fall back on the body of work, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

Oh how I love him. The title of this article is nice.

If it was up to him, they would have went back into the studio after SYW. Damn you Stevie for not wanting to record!

"She has an exquisite femininity"......Lindsey
Old 06-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey, I think I wuv you.

(Sigh), all it takes is compromise! Maybe if everybody could agree on an outside producer, or if Richard Dashut and Ken Caillat were back, things could work. Rick Rubin? Don Was? Daniel Lanois? John Shanks? Diddy? Or maybe Stevie should produce the next FM album. It's just such a shame that these kids can't find a way to make it work at this late stage of the game.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

What a crying shame.

MacMan, your new sig pic kicks ass!!
Old 06-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The title of the article is very special. It's a shame it was not used literally...oh, and with lots of pictures added.