The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I always think of what Cory said about having to tape up his boots. He goes on the road with 20 guitars and no spare shoes. Even when I'm not traveling, I keep both a pair of flats and a spare pair of heels at the office, just in case.

Michele
Old 05-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I assume he did get a producer's cut, per the band's agreement, at least from Tusk on. They gave him a special thanks on the album, but I think they gave him somewhat more than that contractually.

Michele
well, they are still - and over and over - making the most money off of Rumours though, where he was not officially a producer or even getting "special thanks".

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-24-2014, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I always think of what Cory said about having to tape up his boots. He goes on the road with 20 guitars and no spare shoes. Even when I'm not traveling, I keep both a pair of flats and a spare pair of heels at the office, just in case.

Michele
yeah but he does have different shoes (or slip-ons, flip-flops, or whatever) for walking around when he's off the stage that you see in all the candids people post. just his "stage boots" had broken zipper... guess they are a part of the "costume" but i would also think important to be comfortable with all that running around he does on the stage. as soon as he's off the stage, i think even maybe for after show m&gs, he immediately has different shoes on.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yeah but he does have different shoes (or slip-ons, flip-flops, or whatever) for walking around when he's off the stage that you see in all the candids people post. just his "stage boots" had broken zipper... guess they are a part of the "costume" but i would also think important to be comfortable with all that running around he does on the stage.
You'd think he'd have a back up costume boot as well. Alternate them so that both (or all) pairs get broken in and are comfortable.

Think of Tusk as his compensation for Rumours and be happy.

Quote:
Despite the conflicts, Buckingham was the major force behind "Rumours." "His contribution to the album was tremendous," confirms Richard Dashut. "If any one person had the most to do with the production and the arranging and the inspiration, it was Lindsey." Although Fleetwood Mac is listed as the producer, along with Dashut, Ken Caillat and Cris Morris, Buckingham now says, "I can't figure out why I didn't ask for production credit."
Michele
Old 05-24-2014, 11:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And she said he spent a lot less too than they did. As Mick said, Lindsey only needs a nice car and some jeans. But that was before he had a family. Kristen and the kids' expenses probably make up for the years he didn't spend anything.

Michele
Didn't be buy houses for his lovers at the time? I thought I had read on here that he bought a house for both Cheri (sp?) and Carol Ann?

I very well could be BSing right now, though.
Just a dream, just a dream.
Old 05-25-2014, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloMonster View Post
Didn't be buy houses for his lovers at the time? I thought I had read on here that he bought a house for both Cheri (sp?) and Carol Ann?

I very well could be BSing right now, though.
Carol said she got $2000 a month for three years. She said she signed away her rights to a fortune -- which is untrue. She wasn't getting half of his wealth if you look at what happened in the Michelle Triola Marvin case for precedent. The common law wife thing doesn't work in California. So, she could have sued him all she wanted and come up with nothing.

But Lindsey deeded houses to Cheri and to his family members, like Daryl, his brother's widow, and his mom.

Michele
Old 05-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That was funny in Destiny Rules when Lindsey is rhapsodizing about -- [was it Ridley Scott?? or another filmmaker] -- Ridley Scott's austerity and Mick says nothing and then when Lindsey leaves the room Mick mocks Lindsey to Ray and says, Lindsey knows that Lindsey won't ever have to live in a two room apartment. Ray kind of laughs.

Michele
Old 05-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That was funny in Destiny Rules when Lindsey is rhapsodizing about -- [was it Ridley Scott?? or another filmmaker] -- Ridley Scott's austerity and Mick says nothing and then when Lindsey leaves the room Mick mocks Lindsey to Ray and says, Lindsey knows that Lindsey won't ever have to live in a two room apartment. Ray kind of laughs.

Michele
LB referenced Todd Solondz and said his work wasn't going to make millions but it was adding more to the artistic world than say Ridley Scott ever would.

I love that Mick called him out (indirectly) by saying LB most certainly *would* be devastated if the Mac album only sold a few hundred thousand, and that Lindsey could talk about a guy living in a tiny apartment in Pocoima because Lindsey won't ever and knows he won't ever have to live in such a place. Which I think is very true-- Lindsey romanticizes the whole 'artist sacrificing commerce for art' yet has untold millions in the bank and will never really have to put his money where his mouth is.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn It On View Post
I think it says something along the lines of "Produced by Ken Caillat, Richard Dashut and Fleetwood Mac, with special thanks to Lindsey Buckingham" on the earlier albums, so he might get a cut for that?
the band being listed as producers means they all got a cut. The special thanks may or may not mean that LB got a different percentage than the rest of the band. Though from past comments by LB he may well not have-- he has commented about begin rather pissed by the "special thanks" and not a full production credit.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And she said he spent a lot less too than they did. As Mick said, Lindsey only needs a nice car and some jeans. But that was before he had a family. Kristen and the kids' expenses probably make up for the years he didn't spend anything.

Michele
yes, I think we've discussed this on a past thread once-- all that living at the Four Seasons with the wife and kid adds up. And building that big ass new house on the hill. And financing the wife's decorating business. And paying (I'm assuming) the tuition for nieces and nephews and such...
Old 05-25-2014, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Michele
Maybe he's superstitious about his road costume.. like baseball players and the like who, when on a winning streak, never change their socks or wash their shirts and all that sort of silliness.

Sorry, I would have put all of these comments into one reply if I were talented enough to know how to do multiple quotes in one reply. Yikes.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:52 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i do think he swims in money... but i wonder how can someone get a producer's cut if they are not listed as a producer? you don't get the cut just because everybody says you were de facto producer. their biggest selling album by far was Rumours and he was not listed as a producer there, it was the whole band so they'd all get the same cut, right?

i guess he was listed as a producer on Mirage, Tango and SYW?

then, there are royalty cuts songwriters get. i'm guessing there SN must have made by far the most with Landslide. although Don't Stop must have made tons for Christine, as well as her Tango hits. GYOW probably made tons for LB, as well as HR.
The producer's cut does tend to follow whoever is named as the producer, but ultimately it follows whatever the contract says in terms of the appropriation of "points." Points can be appropriated to whomever and in whatever amounts that the interested parties are willing to accept.

There's a very interesting and very brief video done by the late "Left Eye" of TLC in which she explains how a bad contract can leave an artist broke even after selling 10 million+ albums: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E92q9pYnaYo

Lindsey received 100% of the writers cut for GYOW, Big Love, Tusk, Oh Diane, Trouble and Peacekeeper, 50% of the writers cut for Family Man, and 20% of the writers cut for The Chain, along with all of the non single cuts that inevitably got a fair amount of airplay. Remember as well that he got all royalties from the licensing of any of his songs, including recent projects like two songs being used in Elizabethtown and three songs being used in This Is 40. It adds up.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Maybe he's superstitious about his road costume.. like baseball players and the like who, when on a winning streak, never change their socks or wash their shirts and all that sort of silliness.
I once read that Steve Jobs wore the same thing everyday so he could focus on more important things. Not sure that is necessary to preserve "brain power," but that could be the justification. I actually like that he wears a different "uniform" for each tour - it is usually easy to pinpoint what tour a photo is from by the outfit he is wearing. Although there are only so many shades of black (or is that gray?).
Old 05-26-2014, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
I once read that Steve Jobs wore the same thing everyday so he could focus on more important things. Not sure that is necessary to preserve "brain power," but that could be the justification. I actually like that he wears a different "uniform" for each tour - it is usually easy to pinpoint what tour a photo is from by the outfit he is wearing. Although there are only so many shades of black (or is that gray?).
Yes, it's easy to tell what tour it was, but hard to tell one tour date from the other, within a single tour. All of the pictures look identical. But that's not just Lindsey. It's all of them. Even if John and Mick changed things up, it would help us to say what date it was, when we looked at the group bows.

Michele
Old 10-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://ttmccs.com/?p=434