User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post

The common theme here seems to be drugs. My *theory* is that, in the process of recovery, addicts take inventory of the people in their lives and determine who to keep and who to toss out. In the trash heap, theoretically, would be the enablers, the hangers-on, the triggers, etc. who can be perilous to one's recovery. In addition, there are those who have witnessed the addict's rock bottom, which can be a very, very dark place. Perhaps Joe has some kind of lingering resentment for Stevie because she was an enabler or she just couldn't/wouldn't save him from himself; after all, Stevie herself pretty much said that their addictions were spiraling out of control together. And who knows what Stevie witnessed when Joe was scraping along the bottom; perhaps he is so mortified by his own behavior that he has effectively blocked that period of time out of his mind. I suspect something similar must be going down with James Taylor...
Wow, I never even thought of that. But it makes a lot of sense, especially if it's possible that Stevie's recovery is/was fundamentally more robust than his? Because that would give Walsh a motive to want to ensure she didn't threaten to become part of his life again. I mean, if I think about what I'm like when I see people I played in bands with in my twenties, but whom I don't see regularly - mostly what we talk about are our 'war stories' of partying. So I can see how that could be a very serious reason to not want contact or even to give headspace to someone you associate with a time like that.

I still think it's vindictive, though, to not even say something blandly complimentary about her songwriting. He would know that that's hitting her where she lives.

One thing I noticed on re-reading is that he called her 'a soulmate'. Just gets curiouser.

Thanks, Hejira.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
The common theme here seems to be drugs. My *theory* is that, in the process of recovery, addicts take inventory of the people in their lives and determine who to keep and who to toss out. In the trash heap, theoretically, would be the enablers, the hangers-on, the triggers, etc. who can be perilous to one's recovery. In addition, there are those who have witnessed the addict's rock bottom, which can be a very, very dark place. Perhaps Joe has some kind of lingering resentment for Stevie because she was an enabler or she just couldn't/wouldn't save him from himself; after all, Stevie herself pretty much said that their addictions were spiraling out of control together. And who knows what Stevie witnessed when Joe was scraping along the bottom; perhaps he is so mortified by his own behavior that he has effectively blocked that period of time out of his mind. I suspect something similar must be going down with James Taylor...
I think this is it in a nutshell. Stevie saw Joe at one of the lowest points of his life and he doesn't really want to walk down that memory lane. I guess I understand that. And his silence when faced with the question about how he perceives Stevie as an artist shouldn't necessarily be taken as a diss. He probably just doesn't want to talk about that time in his life or the people associated with it. I guess he's entitled to that, however, maybe he should have thought twice about going on Howard Stern. Of COURSE Howard is going to probe and ask uncomfortable questions, hello!

What's weird is the Carly Simon/James Taylor story. I can understand him not wanting to see or associate with those who were part of his druggy past, but to forbid Carly entrance into his house at their daughter's wedding? That is really low! Sounds to me like something more than shame is operating here. Sounds like he's still very angry with her for some reason.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickingham View Post
Found it! Go here.

19:40 - 21:39
41:41 - 42:18
47:21 - 50:29
thanks for posting that... enjoying listening to it. now i really wish Lindsey went on Howard when he was scheduled last year. it's nice to hear something different, not your regular run-of-the-mill interview.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here are just the parts where he talks about Stevie.

http://www.mediafire.com/?d1c4kzvbsyiu92h
Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It seemed like he just really didn't want to talk about it, and had to force himself to say anything nice at all....

Well my opinion of him certainly hasn't changed.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Senior Ledgie

Question Maybe he really loved her!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubird98 View Post
Thanks for posting this. I am listening now. He's not perfect by any means, but at one point, he does say, "Stevie is special." That was kind of nice. But he definiely does deflect on other questions about her.
Maybe when he needed her the most her people kept him away "for her own good"!
"Something you just don't touch because it hurts too much" If there is a psychiatrist on the Ledge, can you give us your opinion? Wasn't "Talk To Me" written for him? When she sang this originally, it was with such emotion like she was trying to reach out to help him but maybe she didn't know he was trying to contact her at the same time! This may or may not be the case here! It could certainly explain any resentment issues!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM
Ledgie

That could have been the case. He said on the interview that when the tour was over that they "couldn't" be together anymore...something like that. And he did describe her as a "soulmate." Maybe I'm reading into this too much,lol. But it is nice to hear him talk about her sober.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedGirl26 View Post
Wasn't "Talk To Me" written for him? When she sang this originally, it was with such emotion like she was trying to reach out to help him but maybe she didn't know he was trying to contact her at the same time! This may or may not be the case here! It could certainly explain any resentment issues!
La Nicks did not write a word or note of "Talk to Me".It was written for her by comission by Chas Sanford after she expressed admiration for his "Missing You' as performed by John Waite.It is doubtful Chas was privy to any of the Walsh drama.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickingham View Post
Found it! Go here.

19:40 - 21:39
41:41 - 42:18
47:21 - 50:29
I love it when fans take the time to make it easier for me to hear the important parts.
Especially considering I fell asleep twice last night trying to listen to this interview.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
He doesn't sound to healthy.
Joe Walsh has always spoken like he had a phallic symbol in his mouth.

Last edited by vivfox; 06-05-2012 at 05:44 PM..
Old 06-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't fault Joe for hesitating to agree with Howard's description of Stevie as one of the greatest songwriters ever. I am quite sure Stevie herself would not put herself in the same category of Lennon/McCartney, Paul Simon, Dylan etc...
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Joe Walsh has always spoken like he had a fallic symbol in his mouth.
He sounds worst now.I'm glad Howard pick Joe's brain in the interview.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
I didn't fault Joe for hesitating to agree with Howard's description of Stevie as one of the greatest songwriters ever. I am quite sure Stevie herself would not put herself in the same category of Lennon/McCartney, Paul Simon, Dylan etc...
Eh! Surely it a subjective question to begin with. Perhaps if Howard had narrowed his question outside any realm of the exclusive "boys club" and stated that Stevie is among the greatest female songwriters ever.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
I wouldn't be too certain of that .We are talking about Stevie"you wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan" Nicks here.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Eh! Surely it a subjective question to begin with. Perhaps if Howard had narrowed his question outside any realm of the exclusive "boys club" and stated that Stevie is among the greatest female songwriters ever.
hmm - are you saying female songwriters can be great just when not judged against men?

Walsh intentionally made it VERY wide - much wider than Howard's original question was - saying that when one thinks of great composers of the 30s...