Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Default Jon Bon Jovi caught lip syncing?

The web and youtube are full of videos asking whats going on with Jon Bon Jovi. His voice is shot and his timing is way off. You can find the videos of him being lost with lyrics and not being able to sing. This guy breaks it down and it looks like the band is piping more than backing vocals into the set.

He holds the mic so close to his mouth that you cant see him singing. On the high notes, he turns his back to the audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPWv...o9eUVw&index=1
Old 06-11-2022, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not a bit surprised. My local library had a Bon Jovi live DVD, about 15 years ago, and I brought it home and copied it. Rather than cheat(like he is here), he just sang everything down an octave, which was, of course, PATHETIC.

That's the problem with recording your screaming high notes when you're twenty something. When you're sixty something, good luck trying to replicate that!

I hear that even our beloved Lindsey has been caught cheating before.

You know, I really do give kudos to guys like Robert Plant and Steve Perry. Regardless of what reason they give for not touring(with their big band), in my heart I KNOW that it's because they can no longer hit the notes. The notes that you're KNOWN for! If you can't sing Black Dog or Don't Stop Believin', and make it sound good, then you either sound like sh*t, or get busted for cheating like JBJ.
Old 06-12-2022, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'm not a bit surprised. My local library had a Bon Jovi live DVD, about 15 years ago, and I brought it home and copied it. Rather than cheat(like he is here), he just sang everything down an octave, which was, of course, PATHETIC.

That's the problem with recording your screaming high notes when you're twenty something. When you're sixty something, good luck trying to replicate that!

I hear that even our beloved Lindsey has been caught cheating before.

You know, I really do give kudos to guys like Robert Plant and Steve Perry. Regardless of what reason they give for not touring(with their big band), in my heart I KNOW that it's because they can no longer hit the notes. The notes that you're KNOWN for! If you can't sing Black Dog or Don't Stop Believin', and make it sound good, then you either sound like sh*t, or get busted for cheating like JBJ.
I also think the piped in background vocals are so cheezy and bad. Every band does it from Motley Crue to Bon Jovi.
I give Stevie props because whether or not you like her singing, its is not fake including her background vocals. Maybe one of the few true live acts around today.

Here is another analysis of Jon's performance. Its sad and in his defense he was losing his voice for years and then he got Covid which maybe was the nail in the coffin. I noticed years ago, Bon Jovi actually had a woman sing live back up vocals in concert. Like the Mac, they added all these additional musicians on stage. But with pre-recorded tracks there is no need for a back up vocalist anymore. Most important thing I learned watching these Bon Jovi videos is them not performing Runaway. OMG, that was the song that was their big break out and let them open for the Scorpions in 1984 to packed arenas. But maybe the singing is too fast for Jon to handle. They had an amazing career. Big break 1983/1984 and then fizzled mid 80s and reduced to opening for Donnie Iris and 38 Special. That professional songwriter gave the band some excellent material for Slippery When Wet and they exploded and still pack arenas. Jon goes on Stern all the time. I once heard him bash Jennifer Lopez for her fake singing and fake playing piano in videos. Now he has become what he despised the most. But part of me admires the dedication to continue and finish the tour for their fans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52fVbA1z-aU

One guy that can still hit that high note is Mike Reno of Loverboy. They are old timers but vocally can still pull it off.
:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ka_MaYX_g

Last edited by Macfan4life; 06-12-2022 at 12:21 PM..
Old 06-17-2022, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

One guy that can still hit that high note is Mike Reno of Loverboy. They are old timers but vocally can still pull it off.
:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8ka_MaYX_g
Funny story about Loverboy and Mike Reno’s headband:
A few years ago, maybe 5 or 6, they were playing a summer festival in a small north western Ontario town.
My husband and I were super excited to go see them, they were THE band of my high school years (78-81).
In the old days, Mikes headband was always thrown by him during the last song, into the audience. People would fight to own that piece of memorabilia.
Great concert, but the guys have definitely aged. Mike was sweating profusely and looked like he was working really hard, even though his singing was very very good. It really was a great concert. Outdoor venue, middle of summer, hot humid night.
During the last song, sure enough, off comes the headband, he does a few twirls on his finger and tosses the thing out into the audience.
The entire place separated like the Dead Sea, and the thing lands with a wet splat on the floor. The band is still singing, everyone in the audience is looking at this wet blob on the floor, no one picks it up. People move back in over the blobby headband, and continue to dance and sing.
After people started to leave, the cleaning crew were picking up plastic glasses, etc, and sure enough, that headband was still sitting there.
Old 06-17-2022, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
Funny story about Loverboy and Mike Reno’s headband:
A few years ago, maybe 5 or 6, they were playing a summer festival in a small north western Ontario town.
My husband and I were super excited to go see them, they were THE band of my high school years (78-81).
In the old days, Mikes headband was always thrown by him during the last song, into the audience. People would fight to own that piece of memorabilia.
Great concert, but the guys have definitely aged. Mike was sweating profusely and looked like he was working really hard, even though his singing was very very good. It really was a great concert. Outdoor venue, middle of summer, hot humid night.
During the last song, sure enough, off comes the headband, he does a few twirls on his finger and tosses the thing out into the audience.
The entire place separated like the Dead Sea, and the thing lands with a wet splat on the floor. The band is still singing, everyone in the audience is looking at this wet blob on the floor, no one picks it up. People move back in over the blobby headband, and continue to dance and sing.
After people started to leave, the cleaning crew were picking up plastic glasses, etc, and sure enough, that headband was still sitting there.
That is fu*king HILARIOUS.
25 hot, 65 not.