Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-05-2015, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default New Interview - The Mirror (05.06.2015)

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...d-tour-5832210

Fleetwood Mac on 18th world tour: Still rock and roll but pills and joints now all about arthritis

Multi-million dollars of cocaine ordered in bulk, 14 black limousines on tours where pink-painted dressing rooms had to have a white piano installed, and, of course, alcohol. Lots of it.

For years Fleetwood Mac rode a wave of drug-fuelled excess.

Drummer Mick Fleetwood last year revealed how he’d worked out that all the cocaine he’d snorted would make a line seven miles long.

And singer Stevie Nicks took so much she has a hole bigger than a 5p piece in her septum.

They once hired Hitler’s private railway car to travel across Europe, allegedly to avoid drug searches. It even came with the same elderly attendant who served the Fuhrer.

But as we meet it’s clear their days of hell-raising are well and truly over. They’ve swapped cocaine and champagne for, er, ice baths and physio.

Cornwall-born Mick says he has ice wraps in his dressing room to help combat arthritis.

“I’m like an old race horse – it’s not like I’m ancient ancient, but these things are sort of worn out a bit,” says Mick, rubbing his shoulders. He’s has wristbands for his tendonitis too.

“I’ve got a deep-freeze in my room in order to do what I’m doing... you take care of yourself.”

He’s 70 this month but insists: “I’m not letting up any – I’m playing harder than I ever played, apparently.”

Fleetwood Mac descend on the Isle Of Wight Festival next week for 91st performance in current On With The Show tour.

It’s been an epic journey for Mick, Stevie, 67, bassist John McVie, 69, his ex-wife Chrissie, 71, who sings and plays keyboards, and singer-guitarist Lindsey Buckingham, 65. And not without its battle wounds.

“I have a bone spur in my toe from wearing my ballerina platform shoes on stage every night,” explains Arizona-born Stevie.

“And I had a fall in 2013 where I really hurt my left knee. Somehow a couple of weeks ago I reinjured it. I think I stepped down a little too hard on it on stage.

“I have to find new boots. Steel-toe capped boots that do not touch the toe. If anything is lying on that bone spur it’s going to make it bigger and I’m going to have surgery.

"And I am not having somebody cut my toe open. There’s just no way!”

Bandmate Chrissie, meanwhile, is getting used to being back on board. Born in Cumbria and once a solo singer called Christine Perfect, she quit in 1997, quoting exhaustion and fear of flying.

She sold her house in LA and spent 16 years living a reclusive life in a village near Canterbury.

Although she’s loves being back, she has her own medical issues.

As a blues player, she has to spread her fingers for keyboard octaves, which means she now needs a wrist cuff for her tendons and she clutches a squidgy bag in her right hand.

“You have to mobilise your fingers. I’ve had this since before Christmas,” she says of a lump on her hand.

“It takes a long time to heal. If I was 16 it would be better by now.”

She and Stevie go through half an hour of vocal training every night. Does she drink soothing stuff like honey tinctures?

“Spritzers,” she says with a wink. “Wine and soda water.”

Her ex John, meanwhile, was diagnosed with cancer in 2013 during rehearsals for their mammoth tour.

Mick says: “He’s 100% better. It’s super cool. It wasn’t allowed to be devastating ’cause John’s so strong.

“With me it would be more of a drama. With him it was like, ‘Let me get this put right. This is what I’ve got to do. Gonna do it. Done.’ ”

Was Londoner John’s illness why Chrissie decided to return?

“I’ve always loved John. And I always will. But that was not part of why I came back,” she says. “And I always knew he’d beat it.”

Things aren’t too awkward on stage for Chrissie and John. They married in 1969, split in 1976, and John has a daughter in her 20s with his second wife.

For Stevie and Lindsey it’s more complicated.

They were a couple when they joined the band in 1975, split just before 1977’s mega-selling Rumours, album, then Stevie had a secret affair with Mick.

So is having Chrissie back good for Stevie?

“Oh absolutely,” chuckles Mick. “She’s there on stage with two of her ex-boyfriends. One really more than a boyfriend. One really half of her life. So it’s all been a positive thing.”

The “half her life” man is Californian Lindsey. They have what you might call a love-hate relationship.

Asked whether things are now “chill”, Lindsey laughs: “Chill or chilly?” No, things are great.

"It’s odd to think on that on some strange level Stevie and I could still possibly be a work in progress. In a way it’s sort of touching, isn’t it?”

Stevie is less convinced. “He is who he is,” she says. He and I have our rifts. We don’t agree on anything. And that’s just the way it is.

“Has he changed and become this really graciously, charmingly loving guy all of sudden? No. He never will. He’s always gonna be Lindsey.”

But they’ve clearly found a way to make it work. An 18th world tour is an accomplishment only rivalled by the likes of the Rolling Stones.

Mick says: “Mick Jagger literally doing somersaults and running around the stage at 72 is truly astonishing. We’re much more consistent. We’re in good shape. And all the voices are really very, very intact. Which is not always the case.”

One unlikely friend of the band is One Direction’s Harry Styles, who gave Stevie a handmade birthday cake in London last week.

Mick says: “We’re penpals! I took my two 13-year-old daughters and their mates to see One Direction. And that point, the girls are going, ‘Dad, just don’t embarrass us! No dad-dancing!’

“But had the meet-and-greet thing... and what happened in front of my daughters was Dad became a superstar!

“They all wanted to meet me! My ante got upped! All their songwriting team wanted to meet me. That’s when I met Harry and he’s come to three of our shows. He writes to me from weird places.”

Mick is hoping for a new Fleetwood Mac album because they have “a s***load of new songs”.

But Stevie says: “Honestly, I just don’t know about it. This tour has been so hard and so breathtakingly overwhelming.”

She adds: “I have to look great, I have to feel great, I have to sound great. And I cannot be thinking about future albums or poetry or songs right now.

“Now we have Europe to conquer. It’s really important that we are spectacular. And that’s all that I can worry about right now.”

With that we leave the band to their spritzers and deep freeze...

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"

Last edited by nicole21290; 06-05-2015 at 08:36 PM..
Old 06-05-2015, 09:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

But Stevie says: “Honestly, I just don’t know about it. This tour has been so hard and so breathtakingly overwhelming.”

She adds: “I have to look great, I have to feel great, I have to sound great. And I cannot be thinking about future albums or poetry or songs right now.

“Now we have Europe to conquer. It’s really important that we are spectacular. And that’s all that I can worry about right now.”

Jeez....Stevie has become quite the complainer. I'm actually kind of tired of her negativity. Clearly, she's no longer having fun with the Mac (even though she's raking in the cash). Maybe she should retire from the road and just concentrate on recording. Seems she just can't physically manage it anymore.

Hang up the shawls, put away the boots, wrap up the ribbons and bows. You've had a long run, Stevie. If you don't enjoy it anymore, don't do it.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I love that they're all talking about their ailments. It makes the quotes seem particularly candid. Ouch my shoulder, ooh my knee, this lump won't go away. I wonder what hurts Lindsey. He wouldn't say. The guy won't even say he had mono. I mean, maybe he didn't, but if he did he wouldn't say.

Michele
Old 06-06-2015, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

the one thing I've noticed about all of this album talk is, Stevie has not said "no", she seems to be saying she's not focused on that during the tour. Maybe I'm just a Stevie partisan, but no one has said she's NOT going to do it. the most we've heard is from Lindsey saying she's not on board at the moment.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It seems Christine feels confident that Stevie will be on board after reading the NZ Herald post.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

In Cologne, 2 days ago, during one of Lindseys songs, Christine and John were sitting together, she showed him her hand, moved her fingers and then showed him her leg/foot, she was jokingly complaining. He nodded in agreement and shared something, too. They both laughed before they stood up and resumed playing. It was nice to see how well they got along.
At least they have a sense of humour, unlike some people... I'm looking at Stevie here.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
In Cologne, 2 days ago, during one of Lindseys songs, Christine and John were sitting together, she showed him her hand, moved her fingers and then showed him her leg/foot, she was jokingly complaining. He nodded in agreement and shared something, too. They both laughed before they stood up and resumed playing. It was nice to see how well they got along.
At least they have a sense of humour, unlike some people... I'm looking at Stevie here.
LOL. Cute!

I don't think her sense of humour has been completely displaced, even with her brusque complaints recently. You can see her seemingly egging Linds on to be playful here.

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 06-06-2015, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
the one thing I've noticed about all of this album talk is, Stevie has not said "no", she seems to be saying she's not focused on that during the tour. Maybe I'm just a Stevie partisan, but no one has said she's NOT going to do it. the most we've heard is from Lindsey saying she's not on board at the moment.
That's her excuse now. The tour, she's tired.....no one else is tired and can only focus on or commit to one thing. She could've participated before the tour or anytime in the last several years when they tried to do a new album. Nobody's saying she's said no to a new album. She doesn't even seem open to the idea. She may never say no, but she actually has to say yes. She seems resentful that the band is taking up all of her time.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 06-06-2015 at 10:15 AM..
Old 06-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Bandmate Chrissie.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole21290 View Post

I don't think her sense of humour has been completely displaced, even with her brusque complaints recently. You can see her seemingly egging Linds on to be playful here.
I'm still working on finding MY humour about Stevie after the concert, please allow me a little more time to find it, I'm at it right now
Chris.jpg
Old 06-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
That's her excuse now. The tour, she's tired......
Yes, NOW. But has she been tired for the last 10 years. She didn't want to do an album any of those times either.

Also, if she had done an album, she could have put off this looooong tour for a few months.

She hasn't said no, but keeping everyone dangling for a year and a half is nothing to be hopeful about. It would have been better if she'd said "No". Equivocation keeps them begging, prolongs the frustration and compounds the inevitable strains of tour.

Michele
Old 06-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Chrissie
Ugh.

I find this almost as irritating as L-i-n-d-s-a-y.
Old 06-06-2015, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart View Post
It seems Christine feels confident that Stevie will be on board after reading the NZ Herald post.
That seems like an old article. Sorry to disappoint .
Old 06-07-2015, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by editme2 View Post

Jeez....Stevie has become quite the complainer. I'm actually kind of tired of her negativity. Clearly, she's no longer having fun with the Mac (even though she's raking in the cash). Maybe she should retire from the road and just concentrate on recording. Seems she just can't physically manage it anymore.

Hang up the shawls, put away the boots, wrap up the ribbons and bows. You've had a long run, Stevie. If you don't enjoy it anymore, don't do it.
I can tell she doesn't want to do another tour. She is probably not against doing another Fleetwood Mac album, but she definitely doesn't want to tour with it. She may not do the new album and who can blame her.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I can tell she doesn't want to do another tour.
Not with FM anyway...

In the Stevie section there is a new interview with Waddy and he is talking new music and a solo tour with Stevie in 2016.