User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by krrrby View Post
Some of you here have some real damn issues with these 5 living up to your individual-specific expectations. I think Stevie spelled it out perfectly here.

They've been touring 3 years solid. She wants a break and as far as I'm concerned it is well deserved of her to take time off as she damn well pleases.

Stevie and Lindsey don't get along, what's new?

Did you all really expect FM to pull an album out of their ass just like that and then giving Stevie all the hate because she wants to take some time off?

I think some of you in here should be ashamed of your comments. New music or not we should be lucky they are still around doing what they do, and politics aside, we should be savoring these moments of music that they are delivering despite how old the songs are, how often they play them, and how tired they are.

It is NOT for anyone here to be judging how this group wants to create an album, and some of you need to take it down a notch.

In my opinion, I would rather have a great sounding Fleetwood Mac record from 5 well-rested individuals who want to love to make music and take the time to make a great record, not being shoved, forced, or coerced into a record because we have to have it right this second without care of the feelings of certain people in this band.

Geezaloo people. Get a grip.
I think you're ignoring the nuances of the situation. First of all, Stevie is partially to blame for the situation she's in. She has a say in what the band does and does not do and yet she seems to hold resentment in having to do this tour. Second I don't think people are complaining so much that There isn't an album being released imminently, so much as Stevie shows no interest in doing an album or writing songs for the band. She didn't last year before the tour when the rest were in the studio and she hasn't at any point since. She didn't say and has not expressed or implied at any point that she would be interested in doing a Fleetwood Mac album after she takes a break (Lindsey basically confirms this....she's not committed to doing a studio album at all). She's the reason there hasn't been an album since 2003 and she barely contributed to the 2013 EP and even with the return of Christine her stance on the subject still has not changed. So this isn't all about her situation right at this moment and that "she's tired and she needs some rest" because this has been going on for a long time. The rest of the band understands this and they all want to do it now. The fact that Christine's return didn't motivate Stevie one bit to get back in the studio with the band should be a concern. It may never happen with Stevie on board.

But all that aside they don't have all the time in the world. Time catches up to everyone.

Last edited by MikeVielhaber; 05-25-2015 at 05:09 PM..
Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I never heard any of this before. I agree with SpyNote.
Well, then you don't listen to Stevie -- which is to be advised.

Michele
Old 05-25-2015, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie1980 View Post
Well that article sure took off some of the excitement about spending tons of money on flying to London from Sweden on Wednesday to see the show Thursday😔
They'll all be rested and in a better frame of mind. I'm sure the show will be great.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Some of you here have some real damn issues with these 5 living up to your individual-specific expectations. I think Stevie spelled it out perfectly here.

They've been touring 3 years solid. She wants a break and as far as I'm concerned it is well deserved of her to take time off as she damn well pleases.

Did you all really expect FM to pull an album out of their ass just like that and then giving Stevie all the hate because she wants to take some time off?

I think some of you in here should be ashamed of your comments. New music or not we should be lucky they are still around doing what they do, and politics aside, we should be savoring these moments of music that they are delivering despite how old the songs are, how often they play them, and how tired they are.

It is NOT for anyone here to be judging how this group wants to create an album, and some of you need to take it down a notch.

In my opinion, I would rather have a great sounding Fleetwood Mac record from 5 well-rested individuals who want to love to make music and take the time to make a great record, not being shoved, forced, or coerced into a record because we have to have it right this second without care of the feelings of certain people in this band.

Well said. Applause!
Old 05-25-2015, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While I keep reminding myself of the playboy interview Mick did and what a shock that was, I'd like to take the attitude of this too shall pass...but that was Mick we're talking about. Stevie is entirely different and when she is not happy, she is really not happy and it takes years to fix her kind of unhappiness it seems like....but years is something that this band doesn't necessarily have.

This whole situation baffles me and saddens me. Lindsey and Stevie are nearly 70 years old and as Mick said - they will probably never be able to sit on the amp and enjoy each others company. Nobody will ever know the true extent of the issues between them, but I hope when I'm at that age I will be able to make peace with whatever issues or demons I may have. I don't know what shocks me more, being at that age and not being able to make peace or being that age after a lifetime of spending time with people who are like family, making beautiful music, traveling the world, surviving all of the crap that has happened and STILL not be able to.

I'm not going to dig into Stevie because there is something very "off" about these recent remarks in this interview and now Mojo. I think it's something larger than the usual Lindsey/Stevie friction going on. I think there is an overall unhappiness coming from something/somewhere else she is struggling with, but I don't know what it is. Is it something related to the passing of her mother or possible disappointment with 24K...I don't know. Something is very off, she's dropping four letter words and is about as resentful and bitter as it gets. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but there always seemed to be that anger that come from a loving place...but I'm not seeing that anywhere from Stevie. That's why I say, there is something else at the core of all of this anger.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well Lindsey sort of says something similar in his interview in Mojo, that "I think Stevie's a little torn. It has a lot to do with her life in general and trying to figure out what means something to her."
Old 05-25-2015, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

right! and I think he's onto something..
Old 05-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
Nobody will ever know the true extent of the issues between them, but I hope when I'm at that age I will be able to make peace with whatever issues or demons I may have. I don't know what shocks me more, being at that age and not being able to make peace or being that age after a lifetime of spending time with people who are like family, making beautiful music, traveling the world, surviving all of the crap that has happened and STILL not be able to.
yes, that's what Lindsey seems to baffled with too. he said many times he feels like FM are a family in a sense. and also this:
Quote:
I think it's something larger than the usual Lindsey/Stevie friction going on. I think there is an overall unhappiness coming from something/somewhere else she is struggling with, but I don't know what it is. Is it something related to the passing of her mother or possible disappointment with 24K...I don't know. Something is very off, she's dropping four letter words and is about as resentful and bitter as it gets. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but there always seemed to be that anger that come from a loving place...but I'm not seeing that anywhere from Stevie. That's why I say, there is something else at the core of all of this anger.
so who knows, you may be right. although she may be just purely annoyed by someone in the band who rubs her the wrong way (and maybe even all of them), it may be something else entirely.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-25-2015, 10:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
While I keep reminding myself of the playboy interview Mick did and what a shock that was, I'd like to take the attitude of this too shall pass...but that was Mick we're talking about. Stevie is entirely different and when she is not happy, she is really not happy and it takes years to fix her kind of unhappiness it seems like....but years is something that this band doesn't necessarily have.
It reminds me of Lindsey's explanation of his song, Under the Skin. He eventually conceded it was about Stevie and said it was about someone who was having trouble getting from point A to point B.

I know it's hard, being so hard to find. Your passion swallows you whole, deaf dumb, and blind ... Lay your head down. No one will see. Cry me a river of new dreams; float yourself free.

I'm also reminded of her telling Jim Ladd in 1979:

Quote:
I love to be miserable. I love to walk around in the passion of the throes of miserability. I made that word up years ago: miserabilty. I don't like to suffer. I hate pain. But I do like to suffer to the point where I can get to my typewriter and write down my wonderful philosophy on why I'm suffering. I love that part of it.
Michele
Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I get what you're saying and there's a lot of sense there. However, the "individual-specific expectations" so many of us have are really the result of having devoted so much of our lives--for many of us decades--to this band and, now, when the possibility of this line-up's first studio album in 25 years is about to happen, to see the rug yanked out from under us--well, that FEELS cruel, just plain cruel. Is Stevie the scapegoat for a lot of this anger? Yes, right now she is. But Lindsey once was, too. I was devastated when Christine left the band in 1998. And angry at the remaining four for not allowing her to make a studio release with them.

I guess what I'm saying is, at one point or another, these five people have driven each other AND their hardcore fans right up the wall. As much as it seems silly to type this, I realize that this band and their music have been such an important part of me for most of my life. I take their business VERY seriously. And so, rationally or otherwise, I take the news of a "mooted," contentious and therefore delayed studio album as serious as I would something proportionally more "important."
Old 05-25-2015, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Anyway, this is not the case of fans wanting instant gratification. Their last album came out in 2003. No one is unreasonably expecting anything. Michele
Old 05-25-2015, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Anyway, this is not the case of fans wanting instant gratification. Their last album came out in 2003. No one is unreasonably expecting anything. Michele
Agreed. We're not being consumer sluts. We've waited a looooooong time.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default i've held back on this thread for quite a while

had a few glasses of wine though, so here goes.
It is unsettling to me to see where these interviews are casting Stevie. Now it could be publicity, just building up the tension for a big announcement of her participation.
BUT if she is truly in the place she seems to be, I can't blame her.
the band members (sans Chris) seem to minimize her, if not infantilize her. The 2013 interview where Mick is making "loon" motions with his hands as she speaks, Lindsey saying he has to craft her songs for them to be any good!
She has had great success with AND without him. To still be saying "no one" can make her songs successful but him probably pisses her off. Watching IYD dvd, she has clearly become much more attuned to song-craft than she was as a 20-30 yo woman. She knows how she wants to sound. And she's done quite well on her own and with FM since Lindsey's departure.. I would even argue the TITN songs (other than 7 wonders) were not as good as what she did on BTM.. those were Lindsey productions.
Add to that the pressure of being nearly 70, and still having to work to support Lori, Sharon, Karen, Jess and Chris (since no one else is clamoring for his "art - direction" ) has to be tiring and difficult.
I honestly miss the free-flow of ideas this site used to be.. Now it seems like everyone is polarized into camps.
From the recent interviews, it seems Stevie is troubled... but I can't blame her. I paint.. if I had a friend who said "you should change that color" and I told him why I chose that color, he'd say "ok"... but when Stevie explained her verb-tense choice to Lindsey, he STILL felt the need to get t he last word..
Either it's all for show, or they really are hopelessly at logger-heads... ( I said "logger-heads" )
thanks to anyone who read this and doesn't flame me for it.
JS

Last edited by johnnystorms; 05-26-2015 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: adding text
Old 05-26-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
well Lindsey sort of says something similar in his interview in Mojo, that "I think Stevie's a little torn. It has a lot to do with her life in general and trying to figure out what means something to her."
To me, this refers to writing new material. I could be wrong, but we write about things that are important to us. Perhaps, the well run dry from writing about her past relationship. Or, she doesn't want to write about LB, anymore.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Senior Ledgie

They should take a vacation after the tour. They will probably take 6 months off. People including band members that were talking about releasing the album in 2016 were so unrealistic. 2017 is more likely. I still think we will see an album in 2017.