Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Dance

Was having a stressful day so put on The Dance. Does it piss anyone off that all these people were there for this reunion of the greatest band ever and sat the whole time? Do you think they had to sit because it was filmed? Because I watch it thinking they did not have their best fans at this taping.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It was an invitation only taping which consisted of their closest friends, families and industry execs. I was pissied that I wasn't invited.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
Was having a stressful day so put on The Dance. Does it piss anyone off that all these people were there for this reunion of the greatest band ever and sat the whole time? Do you think they had to sit because it was filmed? Because I watch it thinking they did not have their best fans at this taping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
It was an invitation only taping which consisted of their closest friends, families and industry execs. I was pissied that I wasn't invited.
It also has to do with the fact all of the songs were done multiple times (often with large breaks in between songs), and the filming took place over two consecutive days. I know even being the superfan that I am, I'd get tired and bored after only a few hours of that. So given that the audience was mainly industry people, you can imagine why everyone seemed so unamused.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
It also has to do with the fact all of the songs were done multiple times (often with large breaks in between songs), and the filming took place over two consecutive days. I know even being the superfan that I am, I'd get tired and bored after only a few hours of that. So given that the audience was mainly industry people, you can imagine why everyone seemed so unamused.
Me too. And lord only knows how "stalker fans" might react, to hearing a Christine song, multiple times!

Thanks for inspiring me...think I'll watch TD now!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Why do people act like it's the greatest insult ever for someone to sit down during a concert? I go to hear a band play or sing, not bump @sses with thousands of other people.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Really? I was always told that they did three nights and only had to do a couple songs more than once.

What I would have killed to hear is the rehearsal versions of Twisted and Little Lies.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
What I would have killed to hear is the rehearsal versions of Twisted and Little Lies.
Did they actually rehearse those?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
Did they actually rehearse those?
I've heard it from a few sources, actually. Someone else told me they rehearsed Isn't it Midnight as well, but I'm not sure on that one. Lindsey's live version probably would have been out of this world. Vito did a great job, but I bet Lindsey would have a field day with that one. Chris should have dumped SYLM and Over My Head for Little Lies and Isn't it Midnight. Also, Lindsey should have recorded Twist of Fate with the band (when it was Twist of Fate). I bet it would have been a hit single.

Also, someone said they rehearsed a song I had never seen before, had the word 'shadow' in it.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post
I always feel like this when I watch SFTSM at the Saban - the DVD gives the impression that it was dull and no atmosphere there. But yes, I reckon the reason is cos it's being filmed.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
I've heard it from a few sources, actually. Someone else told me they rehearsed Isn't it Midnight as well, but I'm not sure on that one. Lindsey's live version probably would have been out of this world. Vito did a great job, but I bet Lindsey would have a field day with that one. Chris should have dumped SYLM and Over My Head for Little Lies and Isn't it Midnight. Also, Lindsey should have recorded Twist of Fate with the band (when it was Twist of Fate). I bet it would have been a hit single.

Also, someone said they rehearsed a song I had never seen before, had the word 'shadow' in it.
Over My Head should definitely have been dumped in favor of Isn't it Midnight. That'd been a real crowd pleaser--especially at the near-the-end-of-the-set part of the show. As much as SYLM live has never been as good as its studio version, the Dance banjo jamboree arrangement charming as hell. I'd have dumped "Everywhere" in favor or Little Lies--or hell, Spare Me a Little!
Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I'd have dumped "Everywhere" in favor or Little Lies--or hell, Spare Me a Little!
Now see, I love "Everywhere" live but I don't care for the studio version at all. With "Little Lies" it's the opposite. The studio track is nice (though not a fave), but I don't like it live.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Now see, I love "Everywhere" live but I don't care for the studio version at all. With "Little Lies" it's the opposite. The studio track is nice (though not a fave), but I don't like it live.
I feel the same way... I have a feeling if they did rehearse Little Lies, it likely was cut because it didn't flow well with the rest of the set.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas View Post
Why do people act like it's the greatest insult ever for someone to sit down during a concert? I go to hear a band play or sing, not bump @sses with thousands of other people.
I agree. When I was in my teens and twenties I could stand for two hours at a concert, no problem. Now that I'm older, that's just not happening.

~Maria
Old 01-08-2012, 12:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm in complete agreement that Everywhere is MUCH better live than it was on record, and Little Lies is exactly the opposite. Hearing Lindsey's take on it might be interesting, but I think it would still suffer in the same way that I think it did in 1987-1990 with Billy and Rick. Gypsy is another one but that's been addressed ad nauseum on this board over the years!

The selection of Over My Head for inclusion on The Dance DVD (and performance at those shows) remains a head scratcher for me. It's technically accurate, but it's incredibly boring. Nothing like the 70's versions the band played (listen to Live 1980 vs. The Dance DVD...not even in the same ballpark).
Old 08-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleet...ance-turns-15/

Fleetwood Mac’s Reunion Album ‘The Dance’ Turns 15

by: Chad Childers, August 19, 2012

Coming off one of the more disappointing eras of the band, the most well-known lineup of Fleetwood Mac put aside past differences to reunite for the concert release, ‘The Dance,’ which arrived in stores Aug. 19, 1997.

The disc found the vocal trio of Lindsey Buckingham, Stevie Nicks, and Christine McVie all agreeing to one more run with the group that would be highlighted by an ‘MTV Unplugged’ special. Wanting to take advantage of the rare opportunity that all of the members were together, they also created a number of new tracks that would intermingle with their classic songs.

By the time they hit Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, Calif. on May 23 of 1997, the veteran outfit was fully up to speed on both old and new material. While tracks like ‘Bleed to Love Her’ and “My Little Demon’ were standouts during the sessions, neither got much of a look once the album was released. Instead, fans gravitated toward the newly stripped-down versions of past favorites like ‘Landslide,’ and ‘Silver Springs,’ both of which spent a fair number of weeks on the Adult Contemporary chart. ‘Landslide’ had the better run of the two, cracking the Top 10 at radio.

Speaking of the charts, ‘The Dance’ was the first new album from the five-piece since 1987′s ‘Tango in the Night’ a full decade earlier. Just prior to the return of all three singers, John McVie and Mick Fleetwood attempted to continue unsuccessfully with several new additions. But the success of ‘The Dance,’ which catapulted the group to No. 1 on the charts and knocked off red hot rapper Sean “Puff Daddy” Combs, led the group to reconsider the future and work in one more tour together. The album would go on to become the fifth best-selling live album of all time in the U.S., with over five million copies sold.

As for the MTV Special, it was also a rousing success. Fans were able to latch back onto such favorites as ‘The Chain,’ ‘Dreams,’ ‘Rihannon,’ ‘You Make Lovin’ Fun,’ and ‘Don’t Stop,’ and there was an added bonus as the modern day USC Marching Band followed in the footsteps of their predecessors by playing ‘Tusk’ with the group on the recording. They also stuck around for ‘Don’t Stop.’

Those who eventually purchased the DVD were able to see a fuller version of the actual performance, which also showed off the skills of the various members. Lindsey Buckingham worked in a banjo for the song ‘Say You Love Me,’ which also featured Christine McVie on tambourine and John McVie on backing vocals. Meanwhile Christine McVie ran through a number of instruments, playing keyboards, piano, accordion, and maracas in addition to her singing.

In keeping with the bit of nostalgia provided with the record, the band offered a few nods to their past work in the cover art for the disc. Photographer David LaChappelle snapped a group photo with Mick Fleetwood recreating his pose from the cover of ‘Rumours’ and Lindsey Buckingham holding the cane from the band’s self-titled release.

With things lining up this year, there’s hope of catching lightning in a bottle again. The new tribute album, ‘Just Tell Me That You Want Me,’ received a positive buzz with both old and new rockers lining up to pay homage to the band. Plus, earlier this summer, Stevie Nicks revealed that another reunion was in the works for 2013.