Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default Most Underrated & Overrated Mac Songs

Hi everyone! With all of this talk about the worst songs by each writer, I'd like to shift focus to something a little less critical and with a little more diversity in opinion (I hope).

I think the most underrated song has to be "Crystal". I love it on Buckingham Nicks, and it's even better on the White Album. The harmonies by Lindsay and Stevie are perfect; you can really hear the love in their voices. So few new Mac fans know this song, but IMO it shows Stevie and Lindsey's musical partnership at its best.

I'd go with "Everywhere" as the most overrated. It's pretty catchy, but it's just so bland and a bit too lightweight for me. It sounds like Chris just going through the motions without putting much feeling in the song. It's often considered an 80's classic and is a frequent starting point for new Mac fans, but IMO it just doesn't deserve all the praise it gets.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think this is a great way to build on the more basic best/worst threads, and maybe we could even do most overrated and underrated for each writer.

Hmmm, going to have to go think on that.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Wow this is an impossible thread because the Mac has so many underrated songs. Just every song on Tusk is underrated. The entire Mirage album is underrated. Even worse, many Christine McVie songs are underrated especially prior to Buckingham/Nicks.
Say You Will is also full of underrated songs. Too many to list.

I cant think of an overrated song because I don't think the Mac was an overrated band. They earned success the hard way and then surprised everyone with Tusk. For a song to be overrated it has to be successful commercially where everyone knows it.
I would say the song Tusk is overrated. Its a great jam but not much of a song. It was commercially successful but only because it was the first single on a new album after Rumours. I don't think it would have charted if it was the 3rd single release. Its a good song and I enjoy it live but definitely overrated IMHO.
I forced myself to pick one so don't yell at me. I could not come up with an underrated song so forced my hand on this one.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It's way too hard to pick two from their entire catalog so I'll limit mine to singles;

- Most overrated? Don't Stop. It's good but it's not amazing.
- Most underrated? A lot of people I know always forget about As Long As You Follow and I think it's a gem of a tune.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:08 PM
Senior Ledgie

Overrated: Sara, Sisters of the Moon, Everywhere.

Underrated: most of Mirage, Honey Hi, Blue Letter, Seven Wonders.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great topic! I totally agree with the OP on this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavi4 View Post
I'd go with "Everywhere" as the most overrated. It's pretty catchy, but it's just so bland and a bit too lightweight for me. It sounds like Chris just going through the motions without putting much feeling in the song. It's often considered an 80's classic and is a frequent starting point for new Mac fans, but IMO it just doesn't deserve all the praise it gets.
For most underrated....I'll stick with another single and pick Think About Me. It's really a great, great song and I've never understood why it wasn't every bit as popular as Sara or Tusk.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenshiMaster16 View Post
- Most underrated? A lot of people I know always forget about As Long As You Follow and I think it's a gem of a tune.

oooooh that's a good one!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

most overrated: Love in Store... zzzzzzz. Dirge. long gaps between interesting bits.

Blue Letter.

I'm So Afraid. Compelling live, but the lyrics.. oy. THey're like bad Stevie lyrics.

Most underrated:
Sugar Daddy. Great story, fun piano riff. Not her best vocal maybe but still.

Think About Me. For the reasons others have said. Should have been a better single.

Tango in the Night. epic. Love most of his stuff on Tango. [His Mirage stuff not so much.]

Not That Funny.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

most overrated: Sara

most underrated - majority of Tusk and many SYW songs.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Going back a little further into Mac history.

Most underrated: Danny Kirwan's contribution to the Fleetwood Mac sound. His amazing guitar playing, arrangements and singing, is tragically over looked by both fans and the band alike. Top Song Pick: Sands of Time. Same can be said for Bob Welch but I'll leave it at one.

Most over rated: Dreams. While I love the song and it deserved to go to #1, it carries little pizazz live, Stevie seems bored with it and the band plays it way too fast, even back in the day. But most notably, the song falls apart without the high notes. We need to remember Dreams the way it was recorded and not ever hear it live again.

Last edited by On Ice; 01-18-2016 at 09:22 PM..
Old 01-18-2016, 10:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with Blue Letter being overrated. I mean, it had its place in the sun and in the early years it really was that good. But I have no nostalgia for it now. I know people will say it isn't the song that is bad just because their last live arrangement of it was lackluster. But, for me, even if they did it perfectly today, it's still not great anymore. It didn't travel well.

Michele
Old 01-18-2016, 11:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Ice View Post
Dreams. While I love the song and it deserved to go to #1, it carries little pizazz live, Stevie seems bored with it and the band plays it way too fast, even back in the day. But most notably, the song falls apart without the high notes.
-------------^ This.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Overrated:

Everywhere
Don't Stop
Over My Head
Silver Springs (studio version)

Underrated:

Illume
Family Man
Isn't It Midnight
Seven Wonders
Steal Your Heart Away
Crystal
Honey Hi
Brown Eyes
That's Alright
Caroline
Heart of Stone
Tango in the Night
Save Me a Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsavi4 View Post

I agree with this. Isn't It Midnight is much better.

Last edited by He's So Unusual; 01-19-2016 at 04:19 AM..
Old 01-19-2016, 04:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Most overrated: Go Your Own Way. It's a great song and I love it and it deserves all the praise and esteem it gets, but there are much better songs by this band.

Most underrated: Hold Me, duh lol how has no one said this yet? Another underrated song is Why. It's such a beautiful song, one of Christine's best actually. This song should still be played on the radio, it should have been a single back in the day too.

I don't think Everywhere is overrated at all. I agree with what the OP said about the song, but it's one of my favorite songs and a great comeback tune for Christine.

Last edited by Wdm6789; 01-19-2016 at 04:47 AM..
Old 01-19-2016, 05:41 AM
Senior Ledgie

That's Alright and Fireflies are, to me, hugely underrated, not talked about that much in the discussion about Stevie's best songs, which they ARE. As Long As You Follow I agree is a ridiculously underrated tune as is Sweet Girl (though I prefer Stevie's demo on Enchanted) and the entire Say You Will album is undervalued a lot too.

Though I am not about to admit that When I See You Again is a truly great song, I still like it a hell of a lot, though. Certainly it could have been better of course.

Overrated? I do think Don't Stop is slightly, but I still love it and I never have really ever gotten sick of it. You Make Loving Fun is still Chris's best song on Rumours though.

"No one ever leaves, everyone stays close 'till the fire fades..."