Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Mirage: The Most Underrated Pop Record

I know that this discussion has been raised many times, however I have been playing the Mirage album non-stop lately.

Out of all five "classic era" albums, Mirage has always been my least favourite (and probably still is). The reason for my ambivalence to the album has always been the fact that it is the furthest thing FM ever did from being a rock band. However, as I have been listening to it over the last few days it dawned on me that it is perhaps the most underrated pop album ever made.

The first half of the record consists six perfectly crafted pop creations. In fact, I'd say that Lindsey's two most underrated pop songs are present on this side ("Can't Go Back" and "Book Of Love"). Stevie's contributions are sublime; "Gypsy", of course, is in a world of its own and, alongside "Everywhere", I think it's the best example of Lindsey's pop production with the band. Christine's "Love In Store" is simply stunning and presents some of the best harmonies the band ever did. And while "Only Over You" may be the weakest number among the first six, on close listen there is a lot of studio beauty used (along with Christine's beautiful vocal singing with Lindsey's guitar).

The second half is somewhat inconsistent and does not flow nearly as well, however each song does have its merits. Lindsey's contributions of "Empire State" and "Eyes Of The World" are perfect examples of the quirkiness that he was still trying to incorporate within the group (flashbacks to "Tusk" for sure). The less said about "Oh Diane" the better (never liked it, never will). I've always thought that "Goodbye Angel" should have without a doubt been included over "Oh Diane." Stevie's "Straight Back" may be her most underrated Mac song, and is the track I first gravitated to from the album (mostly because of its rock style). "Straight Back" also gives us a rare Stevie/Christine vocal mashup - a combo the band rarely ever used, much to my disappointment. Christine's "Hold Me" is, again, a perfect example of how brilliant of a pop writer she is. Like much of her material, the song is deceivingly simplistic (lyrically and musically there is a lot going on). I always enjoy when the Mac used a piano part from Christine as the basis for a track, like in "Hold Me." "Wish You Were Here" is a somewhat "safe" track and has never been one of my favourites. However, the final minute is beautiful and I am glad that the song did not make it to the point in the 80s where it would have been bombarded with synthesized strings and massive overproduction.

Overall, the popiest album the band ever made. However, I do not think it deserves to be neglected in the bands history as much as it has been. When Lindsey was being interviewed at USC I really wished that the interview would have spent some time talking about the Mirage sessions as there is so much musical merit to what the band did on the album.

While I will probably never put Mirage anywhere near the other four albums, I am glad that I have finally come around to appreciating what the band was doing; a perfect pop album that at times showcases the perfection FM was capable of in the studio.

Last edited by Andy Man; 07-26-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Old 07-26-2015, 03:36 PM

I agree, but I think that the most commercial album of the Rumours line-up is Tango In The Night.
Lately I've seen most music magazines have revaluated Mirage along with Tusk as well. Many times in the reviews since the 80s I've read that Mirage is seen as a refreshing come-back to the Rumours simplicity after the experimentation and eccentricity of Tusk.
I think the key word with this album is ambivalence. It seems everyone thinks that Mirage is the album the band needed to do after Tusk, but noone ended up truly satisfied by it.
I think this album is simple and beautiful and as a whole I prefer it on Tango In The Night. It's a true pop record, in the good meaning of the word; If it had included Smile at you as well it would have been almost perfect to me.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 07-27-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Old 07-26-2015, 05:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm always baffled as to why Mirage has never been mentioned in interviews. A number one album from a time when the Mac and especially Stevie were extremely popular.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I LOVE Mirage
Mirage was an unusual time and it is my favorite of the Mac history. Stevie has a #1 solo album and tour to go back to the studio to record with the group. I know the pressure was on them to be commercial after Tusk. Its soft rock and not many chances but still great music. I think the band looked their best and sounded their best on the Mirage tour. I just love very early 80's rock.....right before the drum machine and synthesizer took over.
My favorites on this album (almost every song)
Love in Store
That's alright
Gypsy
Only over you
Hold Me
Book of love
Straight back
Wish you were here

Rolling Stone gave it a positive review in 1982. They were not blown away but I will never forget their line ......something like.......its the perfect album to have a romantic dinner to with a bottle of wine.

I wish Love in Store had a video. I think that would have launched it into the top 10.

But this also welcomed the Mac to MTV and video age with ground breaking videos Hold Me and Gypsy. Total class and the best videos on 1982 IMHO.

But the harmonies on this record are so good. Yes I would love to have heard some more rock n roll but a wonderful effort nonetheless.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For me, Mirage is very easy to like but, outside of Stevie's songs, not memorable enough to love. I do listen to it far more often than Tango though.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Mirage, except Oh Diane and Wish you were here. I think Oh Diane should have been cut to fit a longer That's Alright, which I feel, other than Gypsy, is Stevie's best song on the album. It's also a very underrated Fleetwood Mac song. They should have played it live in 1982 and the video should be on youtube. I have said that countless times on this thread. Love in store and Only over you are great Christine songs, Hold Me is my favorite song. Wish You were here kinda bores me, I would put it in the same category as Oh daddy or Sugar Daddy or Honey Hi. Lindsey's songs are all very Lindsey, which I like. Oh Diane is the only song on the album that seems like filler. It could have been cut and they could have made That's Alright and Love in Store or Hold Me longer.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mirage had alot of radio airplay and MTV airplay .It probably gotten unnoticed with whoever was hot on the charts and got overrated super status at that time.

Heres what was on the charts in 1982 from Billboard.

http://www.billboard.com/archive/charts/1982/hot-100

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Have to agree in regards to WYWH...it would have lost it all with synths all over. The last minute is really great music. For me Mirage ranks above Tango for sure and it has moments that remind me of the first Buckingham/Nicks FM album. Had Hold Me remained closer to the demo version it would have been better for me. I can enjoy the slick, pop production on it, but hearing Christine a little funkier is always welcome. No point in discussing Gypsy...it's a classic. Empire State is a constant skip unless I'm playing it start to finish randomly. I like Tusk weirdness...but ES is just silly. I do like Oh Diane for some reason. Overall, Mirage might tie with the white album out of the five the lineup released.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:23 PM

I love Mirage. I love how concise LB's songs are. I love the further exploration of the McVie/ Buckingham duet. The harmonies that those two sing on this album are amazing.

I love how they thought this was like Rumours when it was nothing close to Rumours. I love Straight Back, Gypsy and That's Alright. Christine's backing vocals throughout this whole album are tantamount.

Christine and Stevie knocked two hits out of the park on this one. Also, first real video shoot for them (Hold Me/Gypsy). Yes, they have Sara, but it was not a video shoot.

I love the looks of the women in this period. Stevie was just gorgeous and Christine's name and face were exploding on MTV. They constantly called her Christy McVie.

Mirage Tour was too short, but I love the way intensely played the tunes. And it was just raw and fantastic.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
For me Mirage ranks above Tango for sure and it has moments that remind me of the first Buckingham/Nicks FM album. Overall, Mirage might tie with the white album out of the five the lineup released.
I concur with your statements. Mirage has a organic sense of intimacy. Tango has a different vibe. Over many years, I've come to appreciate the divergent aspects of Lindsey's songs. Empire State is so uniquely Lindsey; its quirkiness gives a jolt to a rather safe album. Can't Go Back is the should have been single.

For years I've derided the merits of Oh Diane for years, but I now digress. It's just a thin blip of a song channeling Buddy Holly. Undemanding and pleasant, it serves its intended purpose and asks for nothing in return. In its brevity, it's sort of like his song That's Enough for Me. Issued as a single in the UK, it was a minor hit. I have the 12" picture single. Nice artwork.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-27-2015 at 03:03 AM..
Old 07-27-2015, 03:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Probably only me, but I like "Oh Diane" in the context that Jeremy Spencer did some Buddy Holly stuff earlier on and that Lindsey reintegrated that into the Rumours version of FM. He's following a tradition.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:07 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I agree, but I think that the most commercial album of the Rumours line-up is Tango In The Night.
Lately I've seen most music magazines have revaluated Mirage along with Tusk as well. Many times in the reviews since the 80s I've read that Mirage is seen as a refreshing come-back to the Rumours simplicity after the experimentation and eccentricity of Tusk.
I think the key word with this album is ambivalence. It seems everyone thinks that Mirage is the album the band needed to do after Tusk, but noone ended up truly satisfied by this.
I think this album is simple and beautiful and as a whole I prefer it on Tango In The Night. It's a true pop record, in the good meaning of the word; If it had included smile at you as well it would have been almost perfect to me.
I don't really know what you mean by "Commercial" but here's a quick sales chart by most successful of Rumours lineup to least.

US Sales

Rumours - 20 Million
Greatest Hits - 8 Million
Fleetwood Mac - 5 Million
The Dance - 5 Million
Tango In The Night - 3 Million
Tusk - 2 Million
Mirage - 2 Million
Live - 500,000
Old 07-27-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcomechris View Post
I don't really know what you mean by "Commercial" but here's a quick sales chart by most successful of Rumours lineup to least.

US Sales

Rumours - 20 Million
Greatest Hits - 8 Million
Fleetwood Mac - 5 Million
The Dance - 5 Million
Tango In The Night - 3 Million
Tusk - 2 Million
Mirage - 2 Million
Live - 500,000
I checked if I had been mis-translated the term but I see in english is quite the same than in my country. Commercial means "of high consumption" or "popular" and is a term that in my country, when it's referred to music, can also imply that the thing in question is thought as being first of all profitable and then artistic and thus can be of lower quality.
That being said I guess you could say that I just think Tango In the Night is more "pop" than Mirage, as it followed more the trends of its age.
Your list is not completely accurate on the matter because it's just about sales in the US, while if you take into account Europe Tango In The Night is the second most sold Fleetwood Mac album.
However commercial doesn't even necessarily mean successful and vice-versa, as you can see in the opposite cases of Mirage and Tusk.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 07-27-2015 at 09:58 AM..
Old 07-27-2015, 11:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Looking at Billboards summer 1982 charts .

As I see .

Paul McCartney And Stevie Wonder,The Human League and Survivor clogging up the charts for weeks and months of that summer. No offense to great music from them but FM could had a chance if these artists and bands were not present on the charts at that time .

"Hold Me" got into a traffic jam for weeks at number 4.It could of been number one if the heavyweights were not in the way.

Mirage probably could sold more then 2 mill .

Always thanks Joe Welcomechris for your hard work with the numbers and info.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg summer 1982 billboard hot 100.jpg (45.1 KB, 9 views)

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 07-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
"Hold Me" got into a traffic jam for weeks at number 4.It could of been number one if the heavyweights were not in the way.

Mirage probably could sold more then 2 mill .
Well, with the exception of Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac were more of a "heavyweight" than those other artists. Human League and Survivor were very successful, but only for a short moment in time. Compared to FM, they were relative flashes-in-the-pan, commercially speaking.

As far as those acts' Hot 100 positions preventing Mirage from selling better, the charts don't really work that way. An album doesn't sell more copies because its singles happened to reach #1. Rather, what drives the album chart is simply the number of people who choose to buy the music.

On the topic at hand, Mirage was my favorite Mac album for a very long time. And on some days it still is. I like it better than the '75 white album and MUCH better than Tango. With the exception of Oh Diane and Wish You Were Here, I like every track on it.