User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Greeny Pvk era

Hello from Italy.

"In The Skies", "Little Dreamer" and "Watcha Gonna Do" will be out on Sanctuary next April 18th.

All the 3 cds have been remastered and have sleeve notes written by Martin Celmins.

Sorry, no unreleased tracks here!

Mario.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg green with vernon-kell.jpg (19.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 03-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

That's great, but what about "White sky"? I always thought that was a PVK album.
And they could at least have tagged on the outtakes from the album sessions as released on
"Kolors" and "Legend" as bonus, without overdubs.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Firstly, I must say the the 3 cds are on Castle, rather than on Sanctuary...

Then I agree 100% with you. I don't like reissues when they are a straight copy of the actual LP.

Fori stance, Peter's brother Mike said that "Black Woman" was a good track from the "Little Dreamer" sessions and that Peter was disappointed because it was left off the LP. (it ended up to be part of Kolors).

Last, but not the least, I think that "White Sky" was on Creole and was the first solo album not Pvk.

Mario.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

CDUniverse.com shows the April 18th release date. Amazon.com shows the release date as April 25th.

Too bad they couldn't bring themselves to add the 45 version of "Apostle" to the In The Skies album.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes Chili,

the street date has been posponed to April 25th 2005.

Just like you, I have been dissapointed by the lack of unreleased and/or altenate takes, but I hope Martin sleeve notes will make up for that.

Mario.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad that these three are being released. Maybe it will stop the flood of "anthologies" of these tracks. To get ALL the songs from these three albums, you'd have to buy about 10 of the anthologies and then you'd end up with a severe redundancy of tunes.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
Yes Chili,
Just like you, I have been dissapointed by the lack of unreleased and/or altenate takes, but I hope Martin sleeve notes will make up for that.

Mario.
hi mario, cD and everyone-

i don't understand this re-release strategy at all. i'd definitely get the pvk reissues if there were extra unreleased tracks or outtakes.

is it correct that material not on the original releases of the pvk and pre splinter group solo records (in the skies, little dreamer, what cha gonna do, white sky) that has been released (on kolors, legend etc) are not from in the skies? i do have kolors and it seems to be from sessions after in the skies and the credits are consistent with that. but i'm not entirely sure about this because i don't have legend or any of the other compliations.

there are outtakes from in the skies on snowy's goldtop compilation, i understand. are these worth getting?

zero
Old 04-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You'd hope they would stop the anthologies, but all of these albums were issued on CD by Castle years ago. My only hope with the new reissues is that they use the original covers.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero
there are outtakes from in the skies on snowy's goldtop compilation, i understand. are these worth getting?

zero

Hello

"Goldtop" is a great album. I was a fan of Snowy's even before I was a fan of Peter's, and this CD was partly how I discovered Peter's music. There are two outtakes - "In The Skies" and "Slabo Day" (both instrumentals) and they're pretty damn good, particularly Slabo Day. There is a load of Snowy's other stuff on there too and it's a good way to start if you don't know much of his music.

In the sleeve notes Snowy says that these two tracks were rehearsals from the first day, down at the Who's studios in Shepperton, England. It is suggested that Peter was still unsure of himself in the studio and relied on Snowy to take the lead during these first rehearsals. Snowy plays lead on both tracks of course.

Also, I understood that most/all of the Kolors album consists of outtakes from the White Sky album sessions, rather than earlier albums. Could be wrong though - doesn't it say in the Celmins biography? My copy is hundreds of miles away and I can't check
Old 04-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet

"Goldtop" is a great album. I was a fan of Snowy's even before I was a fan of Peter's, and this CD was partly how I discovered Peter's music. There are two outtakes - "In The Skies" and "Slabo Day" (both instrumentals) and they're pretty damn good, particularly Slabo Day. There is a load of Snowy's other stuff on there too and it's a good way to start if you don't know much of his music.
bb- thanks, this is a big help. i am a big snowy fan. i did it the other way round from you. when in the skies came out i wondered who the hell snowy white was. i didn't really discover snowy's solo material until many years later when i got 'highway to the sun' which i love. i've been chipping away at his back catalog ever since. to my taste snowy's much better than bernie marsden and infinitely better gary moore as upholder of peter's legacy. makes gary sound like a hack which is quite a trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
Also, I understood that most/all of the Kolors album consists of outtakes from the White Sky album sessions, rather than earlier albums. Could be wrong though - doesn't it say in the Celmins biography? My copy is hundreds of miles away and I can't check
i believe you are right about kolors- my understanding too was that it is white sky material- the band is white sky composition. i don't know where the legend material comes from though- i thought it was pvk but i'm out of my depth there.

zero
Old 04-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Weren't Snowy White & Gary Moore TOGETHER in one incarnation of Thin Lizzy?
Old 04-01-2005, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Weren't Snowy White & Gary Moore TOGETHER in one incarnation of Thin Lizzy?
cD - i don't think so. i believe snowy joined in 80 and that gary left for good in 79. but i could be entirely wrong!

zero
Old 04-02-2005, 03:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as I know, Kolors and Legend contains mostly outtakes from White sky, Little dreamer and Whatcha gonna do. "Bandit", "black woman" etc. are from the Little dreamer sessions. Big boy now and Corner of my mind are likely White Sky outtakes. None of the tracks seem to originate from the sessions with the Kolors band in 1982 though. Wonder where those are?
Old 04-02-2005, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Hello from sunny Italy!

1- I agree with Chili that it's time to stop all those "anthologies", at least I think they are good only for complestits/collectors...

2-It's true that all those records were already released by Castle in Europe and Rhino in Usa, but they have both poor sound quality and poor sleeve notes.

These new reissues have been remastered and have sleeve notes written by Martin Celmins, so maybe we will know something new about Peter's era with PVK.

3-Yes, of course, both Kolors and (part) of Legend were made with outtakes from the Pvk albums, but it's fairly difficult to understand from which session every single track comes from.
I'm pretty sure that "Bandit", "Woman Don't", "Watcha Gonna Do" and "Black Woman" are from the "Little Dreamer" sessions, but don't have a clue about many other numbers......

4-From an old NME article (June 1979) we know that six more tracks were recorded during the "In The Skies" sessions. So where they are?

Least, but not the least, I want to spent some words about the track "Slabo Day" from Snowy White's "Glod Top". Now the sleeve notes stated that Snowy played lead guitar (as he actualy did on the album version), with a still "unsure" Peter playing rhythm guitar, but quoting Martin's own words.."Slabo Day's guitar playing sounds as Greeny's, 95% quite plain, 5% absoluty brilliant".....

Hope you find this at least interesting.

Mario.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the info Mario!
I have a theory that the track "Rubbing my eyes" from the Legend collection, is from the In the skies sessions.
My (rather thin) arguments:
1. It's an instrumental, and half of the In the skies album is instrumental, while only one other early 80's album (White sky) contains an instrumental. It sounds spontaneously developed, which would fit with In the skies, as that album was partly "jammed" judging from Peter VK's comments.

2. The percussion sounds really similar to some tracks on In the skies. Compare with Slabo day, for example.