User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
The harmonies and vocal round on Honey Hi are high points for sure--but I could also listen to that electric piano, acoustic guitar, and hand drum for hours. The groove is so satisfying!
Yep - the groove is sweeter than wine!
Old 04-03-2015, 05:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by UndoingTheLaces View Post
Thanks for posting that amazing link.
Wow, what a treat it would be live.
This is why I want Christine to sing 10 of the current tour's 22 songs live
Old 04-03-2015, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The last minute or so of Over and Over is pretty sublime too. Those harmonies are right up there with the best vocal moments on The Beatles' Revolver.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:23 PM
Ledgie

I love both of those songs, for sure. The harmonies are fabulous. There aren't enough bands out there with multiple singers anymore - at least, well-known ones - and that's something missing from present-day music. The "sha-la-la"s on Brown Eyes, though...just wow.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown View Post
The last minute or so of Over and Over is pretty sublime too. Those harmonies are right up there with the best vocal moments on The Beatles' Revolver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwelchera View Post
I love both of those songs, for sure. The harmonies are fabulous. There aren't enough bands out there with multiple singers anymore - at least, well-known ones - and that's something missing from present-day music. The "sha-la-la"s on Brown Eyes, though...just wow.
...and while we're about it the vocals on Think About Me are superb too. That's another I'd definitely love to see live. Christine's contributions to Tusk really are under-appreciated.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:30 PM

Christine McVie has been solid on every album she has put out. I love her Tusk material.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Christine McVie has been solid on every album she has put out. I love her Tusk material.
I agree. I cant even think of a Christine McVie song solo or with the Mac that I don't like. She pours everything into the songs lyrically and musically. I was hoping Lindsey and Stevie would give Chris one or two more songs this tour to catch up for being away for so long. But sadly my wish did not come true. She has such amazing songs I want to hear live.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Agreed. Her Tusk songs are essential to the success of the record. And in themselves very pleasurable.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Agreed. Her Tusk songs are essential to the success of the record. And in themselves very pleasurable.
Yes, agree completely. I've always found it odd that so many people on this forum seem to think that it is her weakest album; I could not disagree more. As much as I am a fan of Stevie's and Lindsey's material ("Tusk," "I Know I'm Not Wrong," "That's All For Everyone," "Sara," and "Sisters Of The Moon," in particular) I often find myself listening to Christine's material on Tusk more. "Over & Over," "Think About Me," and "Honey Hi" are my three Tusk go-tos, according to my iTunes.

I think what has always made Christine's material so well done is the fact that out of the three songwriters, she was the one who wrote most for the group as a whole. Quite often, I listen to Lindsey and Stevie's post-Rumours material and it sounds much more solo-centric. With the rare exceptions (i.e. "Songbird), Christine always seems to have written with the strengths of all band members in mind. This is extremely evident on "Tusk."

Old 04-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
Yes, agree completely. I've always found it odd that so many people on this forum seem to think that it is her weakest album; I could not disagree more. As much as I am a fan of Stevie's and Lindsey's material ("Tusk," "I Know I'm Not Wrong," "That's All For Everyone," "Sara," and "Sisters Of The Moon," in particular) I often find myself listening to Christine's material on Tusk more. "Over & Over," "Think About Me," and "Honey Hi" are my three Tusk go-tos, according to my iTunes.

I think what has always made Christine's material so well done is the fact that out of the three songwriters, she was the one who wrote most for the group as a whole. Quite often, I listen to Lindsey and Stevie's post-Rumours material and it sounds much more solo-centric. With the rare exceptions (i.e. "Songbird), Christine always seems to have written with the strengths of all band members in mind. This is extremely evident on "Tusk."
Yes, exactly. The majority of her songs invite the most band participation of the three songwriters. That collective effort makes them so much more pleasurable.

I feel collective band energy on all of the songs on Rumours and Fleetwood Mac, but with Tusk onwards, it's mostly Christine's songs that embody that spirit.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like Honey Hi as it is, and appreciate its simple and sweet austerity. But sometimes I wish there was more substance to it. I have fantasized how it would be performed had they included it in the Tusk tour set.

Presented as intimate acoustical break, Mick would leave his drum set and join the band on stage with Christine front and center with small keyboard.
The rest of the band would be sitting on stools gathered around her; Lindsey with his acoustic guitar, John with his bass, Mick with his bongos, Stevie with her tambourine (and the little chime that strikes after the short instrumental part). A modified arrangement would give the song more legs: the instrumental passage would be extended along with the closing vocal interplay.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
As always, she provides the essential center balance between Lindsey and Stevie.

The Say You Will album has it's own merits, but Christine would have given it equilibrium and a sense of levity and dimension that it lacked.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:06 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, exactly. The majority of her songs invite the most band participation of the three songwriters. That collective effort makes them so much more pleasurable.

I feel collective band energy on all of the songs on Rumours and Fleetwood Mac, but with Tusk onwards, it's mostly Christine's songs that embody that spirit.
Exactly. I think that Lindsey's material is most guilty of not emodying the "spirit" of the band in post-Rumours work. I'm a massive fan of all the writers and do believe that Lindsey's material, although very Buckingham-centered, is superb and innovative. However, all through Tusk/Mirage/Tango it was always Christine that seemed to present the band with material that could make them sound like "a band." Not only are her Tusk songs evidence of this, as we've discussed in this thread, but songs like "Love In Store," "Mystified," "Hold Me," "Little Lies," "Everywhere," among others are all examples of how the band could really work as unit on her material.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I like Honey Hi as it is, and appreciate its simple and sweet austerity. But sometimes I wish there was more substance to it. I have fantasized how it would be performed had they included it in the Tusk tour set.

Presented as intimate acoustical break, Mick would leave his drum set and join the band on stage with Christine front and center with small keyboard.
The rest of the band would be sitting on stools gathered around her; Lindsey with his acoustic guitar, John with his bass, Mick with his bongos, Stevie with her tambourine (and the little chime that strikes after the short instrumental part). A modified arrangement would give the song more legs: the instrumental passage would be extended along with the closing vocal interplay.
I disagree, there is plenty of substance. It is beautifully simple, yet full of ear candy.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I disagree, there is plenty of substance. It is beautifully simple, yet full of ear candy.
It's nothing but substance. So beautifully crafted, as well.