Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Could Lindsey Please the masses

I was just thinking about if Lindsey Released his new rock album, but it was totaly modern rock. Not revived 80's rock songs.

Wouldnt it be really great it was similar to stuff like the Killers or Stereophonics or Oasis, sort of that Indie Rock n Roll music. I would be 100%confident that if it appealed to the 16 - 30 age group who are all in to that sort of stuff it would go straight to No:1.

This age group in general arent very familiar with lindsey and I really think he should introduce himself to them.

I remember hearing him say do the destiny rules DVD " We'll show them punks" Well i dont think SYW really showed them.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
I was just thinking about if Lindsey Released his new rock album, but it was totaly modern rock. Not revived 80's rock songs.

Wouldnt it be really great it was similar to stuff like the Killers or Stereophonics or Oasis, sort of that Indie Rock n Roll music. I would be 100%confident that if it appealed to the 16 - 30 age group who are all in to that sort of stuff it would go straight to No:1.

This age group in general arent very familiar with lindsey and I really think he should introduce himself to them.

I remember hearing him say do the destiny rules DVD " We'll show them punks" Well i dont think SYW really showed them.
I always believe that Lindsey will appeal to that age group and sell crap loads of records and have people notice him and think he's wonderful, but it seems that typically kids/young adults (not all I realize) have a problem liking/listening to someone over 35 unless it's someone culturally huge like Zepplin, Beatles, Stones, U2 etc... It also takes some damn good publicity behind you which honestly, Lindsey hasn't gotten. (Take a look at Paul McCartney's recent situation/Starbucks deal. Excellent album, excellent publicity, debuted at No.3...still sitting in the top 30) Hardly anyone knew UTS was released. But I certainly agree with you that Lindsey needs to introduce himself to that age bracket. I always wish I could mention Lindsey Buckingham without tacking on "guitarist for Fleetwood Mac" because to me he's so much more than that but now I'm getting a problem of people not giving a crap about FM too. But, that's the hand that's he's been dealt career wise. I don't know about hitting number 1, but I think he would definitely make a load of new fans especially if he shows his chops off a little bit more in this next album.

As far as SYW went...I thought their live tour did his statement "Let's show these young punks..." justice. (This is just my opinion.) Lindsey dominated that tour with the press it seemed. He wow-ed everyone. They totally kicked ass on stage and Lindsey seemed to really make people sit up and take notice of his skills once again.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I personally hope he doesn't try releasing something like that. I hope he just tries to be Lindsey and releases whatever is next in his plan.

Maybe it's because I'm not a big fan of Killers etc. and I think Lindsey's music is much more interesting. And IMO changing his style just to sell records would be selling out. Something that the guy who pushed to make Tusk different from Rumours should never do.

Regardless of the style of album he releases it will never, ever get to number one. He wouldn't get the promotion, no matter how good the album is and that's what makes and breaks albums these days. Releasing an album that's trying to appeal to the youth (of which I am a member) would mean that he'd be ignored by them because he's old and isn't cool and would upset a lot of his older fans because he's trying to do "young whippersnapper music" :P
Old 07-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know, I never liked artists who only tried to please the masses, to make the music that sells well.
I prefer those who stick to their own style / taste and try to be the best at that. Because you can tell their hearts are in it, rather than $$ signs in their eyes!

I think it's disrespecting to the listener to make music you think will please them. They can make up for themselves what they want to listen to. If they get the ff-ing choice!

I'm all for diversity, not yet another band sounding just like the former.

and those aren't exactly indie bands you name, are they
Old 07-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

I dont think Lindsey has the mentality of pleasing the masses. He's gonna stay true to his music, and whoever likes it likes it. I think he's more chances of 'pleasing' the masses if they do another Fleetwood Mac album and tour. Which is getting more unlikely by the day.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Some really interesting points are being brought up.

I have to agree that Lindsey would never "sell out" his style just to sound like the other popular bands.

Having to tack on "the fleetwood mac guitarist" bit too all the time gets repetitave too. Its a rut that in time may pass. I think after another album or two he will be well knows. What does expect with a 14 year solo break.

I still think some new rock songs that have a modern day flavour to them along with some good publicity would work wonders.

I have a friend who said that theres no way I could make him like Lindsey Buckingham. Well I proved him totally wrong. But it took all the Live Rocking songs on the LIB DVD to do so. COME, EYOTW, GYOW, and TUSK.
Now he says hes amazing.

It just takes a few really good singles that appeal to the mainstream listeners
Old 07-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades View Post
It just takes a few really good singles that appeal to the mainstream listeners
NO. Sorry, but no. It does NOT take a few singles that appeal to mainstream listeners. It takes ONE single that sticks but, more important, DIFFERS from mainstream and asks attention. Something like the titletrack from Gift Of Screws, maybe with an amazing acoustic guitarintermezzo in the middle like those few bars in Shut Us Down. Very Buckingham, sticky, weird and amazing. He can do that. But does the recordcompany?

Old 07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i don't think the mainstream would appreciate his quirkiness.. particularly when he uses quirky voices.. like in the gift of screws title track.

that being said, i am so tired of killers-esque ****, and would be super disappointed if lindsey went that route. i don't think that would happen, anyway... i'm just stating for the record.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
NO. Sorry, but no. It does NOT take a few singles that appeal to mainstream listeners. It takes ONE single that sticks but, more important, DIFFERS from mainstream and asks attention.
It takes a song that differs from the mainstream to appeal to the mainstream? Sort of the definition of contradiction there.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
NO. Sorry, but no. It does NOT take a few singles that appeal to mainstream listeners. It takes ONE single that sticks but, more important, DIFFERS from mainstream and asks attention. Something like the titletrack from Gift Of Screws, maybe with an amazing acoustic guitarintermezzo in the middle like those few bars in Shut Us Down. Very Buckingham, sticky, weird and amazing. He can do that. But does the recordcompany?
I actually agree with you Gerald I think most, if not all of his GOS music would be relevant today, as it was then and I just wish he could have released it as is. It's fun and crazy stuff, which is what we all need to hear and indeed shows us that he can still rock with the best of them.Surely , whoever said, we don't need to hear his "quirky voices" have just had a whole album full (UTS) and for whatever reason UTS has done quite well.Goes to show, he can get away with "quirky" and quiet, "quirky" and rock, would, imo, be even better.
I'm looking forward to this "rockier" album immensely, just hope it happens.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i love his quirky voices - more than his standard voice in some cases - i'm just saying that the mainstream might not be so quick to accept.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sarah..I was suggesting in my post, that in fact the mainstream, have accepted his "quirky" voice because UTS is full of it, and it's proven to be reasonably popular, sales wise, I think (I guess, I'm right there, I don't know for sure,it's not my cup of tea and I haven't got it).
I'm holding out for a better album, next time around...whenever that may be.(fingers crossed)
Old 07-24-2007, 05:33 AM
Senior Ledgie

He wouldn't need to change his style at all its the production that some people may find a barrier. Personally I think Lindsey is so much better when listening to him playing live (never actually seen him play live refering to the Dance etc.) as apose to listening to his albums, fleetwood mac or solo. It would be great to have an album that captures his live esence and leaves behind the production. That wouldn't be selling out either.

I think publicity would actually hurt his chances of having a No.1 album. I know he wears a leather jacket and all but that still doesn't change the fact he would be 30+ years older than his potential audience and like someone else mentioned a lot of them would not precieve that as cool. All it would take here in the UK for him to get a No.1 album is to have one song reach one of the big Radio station 'A playlists' and people would lap it up.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Dylan & springsteen have managed to get a fairly respectable position with their recent new albums and I would say UTS is better than Both.......put together
Old 07-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac aren't even as big as Dylan or Springsteen let alone Lindsey. I like both albums especially Sprignsteens however it is probably the existing fans that bought these albums. I don't think either two got much radio air play. For lindsey to get a good chart position existing fans alone aren't enough, Radio 1 would have to put him on the 'A playlist'.