User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Man View Post
However, all through Tusk/Mirage/Tango it was always Christine that seemed to present the band with material that could make them sound like "a band."
I agree 100%. This is very well said and speaks to the enormous strengths (and selflessness, arguably) of Christine as a musician. She is absolutely vital to the success of Fleetwood Mac, going back to before the White Album as well. Mystery to Me anyone?
Old 04-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I agree 100%. This is very well said and speaks to the enormous strengths (and selflessness, arguably) of Christine as a musician. She is absolutely vital to the success of Fleetwood Mac, going back to before the White Album as well. Mystery to Me anyone?
Absolutely. Selflessness is a perfect word for Christine.

When I saw "On With The Show" I was still amazed at how much of the concert is still the Stevie/Lindsey show. Now, granted, they are both incredibly talented and I am a major fan of each of them. And, to be fair, Christine's show personality is rather calm in comparison (not much she can do from behind the piano other than play and sing). However, on a tour with the great return of Christine McVie, the show itself is still dominated by the other two. And, judging by Christine's enthusiasm each night, she seems perfectly happy with that. She seems to truly "get" what it means to be in a band - musicians should strengthen each other rather than take the spotlight. I listen to "Sisters Of The Moon" from this tour and it is miles ahead of the 2013 version for the sole reason that Christine's playing adds a little something extra to the song (especially at the beginning). "I'm So Afraid" becomes even more grandiose with her organ.

Lindsey and Stevie, while certainly the stars of the band, like the spotlight - which is just fine. However, out of the three vocalists and songwriters, Christine seems to appreciate the group dynamic and collaborative nature of a band more than the other two; certainly, this appreciation is evident in her studio work and songwriting as well.

Last edited by Andy Man; 04-09-2015 at 08:31 AM..
Old 04-09-2015, 03:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

When I saw "On With The Show" I was still amazed at how much of the concert is still the Stevie/Lindsey show. Now, granted, they are both incredibly talented and I am a major fan of each of them. And, to be fair, Christine's show personality is rather calm in comparison (not much she can do from behind the piano other than play and sing). However, on a concert with the great return of Christine McVie, the show itself is still dominated by the other two. And, judging by Christine's enthusiasm each night, she seems perfectly happy with that. She seems to truly "get" what it means to be in a band - musicians should strengthen each other rather than take the spotlight. I listen to "Sisters Of The Moon" from this tour and it is miles ahead of the 2013 version for the sole reason that Christine's playing adds a little something extra to the song (especially at the beginning). "I'm So Afraid" becomes even more grandiose with her organ.

Lindsey and Stevie, while certainly the starts of the band, like the spotlight - which is just fine. However, out of the three vocalists and songwriters, Christine seems to appreciate the group dynamic and collaborative nature of a band more than the other two; certainly, this appreciation is evident in her studio work and songwriting as well.
I really enjoyed reading you post - articulate, insightful and spot on!

It's so fortunate that Christine fell into Fleetwood Mac, which has always been an ensemble band with several lead singers/songwriters. It's a configuration that perfectly suits and appeals to Christine's style. Despite her brief solo ventures, she doesn't possess the same motives that Lindsey and Stevie share.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 04-09-2015 at 03:14 AM..
Old 04-09-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:

When I saw "On With The Show" I was still amazed at how much of the concert is still the Stevie/Lindsey show. Now, granted, they are both incredibly talented and I am a major fan of each of them. And, to be fair, Christine's show personality is rather calm in comparison (not much she can do from behind the piano other than play and sing). However, on a tour with the great return of Christine McVie, the show itself is still dominated by the other two. And, judging by Christine's enthusiasm each night, she seems perfectly happy with that. She seems to truly "get" what it means to be in a band - musicians should strengthen each other rather than take the spotlight. I listen to "Sisters Of The Moon" from this tour and it is miles ahead of the 2013 version for the sole reason that Christine's playing adds a little something extra to the song (especially at the beginning). "I'm So Afraid" becomes even more grandiose with her organ.

Lindsey and Stevie, while certainly the stars of the band, like the spotlight - which is just fine. However, out of the three vocalists and songwriters, Christine seems to appreciate the group dynamic and collaborative nature of a band more than the other two; certainly, this appreciation is evident in her studio work and songwriting as well.
I often think that's why she's had the most hits. Her hits and her return spark that massive influx of interest that the other two can't. Yes, Stevie is very popular, but she doesn't possess that inert group concept like Christine. Stevie is me me me me, and her personality carries her. Lindsey used to be like that, but he has an amazing talent to back it up. He is also realizing he has a band that he wants to play with. It should always be fun. It's so telling to me that Stevie wouldn't run over to participate in her band. I think it really ignited Lindsey because he is always looking to make new music. Stevie just wants to make new fame appearances.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-09-2015 at 09:58 AM..