Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eponymous View Post
I agree. She is listed as a contributor for numerous Democratic candidates even though she seems to choose to be apolitical publicly. As far as her comment on Letterman is concerned, I believe she was attempting to be humorous in suggesting that a younger candidate does not have enough experience to make the tough decisions required of the President, i.e. her comment about how she has trouble deciding which bus to travel in or something to that effect. She seems eager to do concerts in honor of Bill Clinton, whether with FM or solo. I doubt a Tea Party Republican would do that. I believe in one interview around the time FM did the first Clinton gig, they mentioned that John was the only real Republican in the group.
I do not think she was being humorous when she stated that on Letterman in 1994 she was serious and stated her opinion.I don't care whatever she political party she is part of it don't matter to me. Still love her regardless and any other artists too,If you want to state your political opinion is fine too will still go to concerts regardless. I love Madonna too and U2 and they are very political in there concerts still go to there shows,. Again all politicians are liars to get your vote in my opinion I am a libertarian I used to be a democrat.
Old 05-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I highly doubt that Stevie is a Tea Partier..Anyone remember in 2008 when she made the remark that Obama was the one and even wrote a poem about it tying it in with the Kennedys?.There is no way in HE double toothpicks that a Tea Party member would do that.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandbackStevie View Post
I do not think she was being humorous when she stated that on Letterman in 1994 she was serious and stated her opinion.
Let's reexamine the Letterman comment. Clinton had been in office about a year and a half at that point, and had had a mix of successes and failures. But the failure of his health-care reform and the resonance of the Whitewater scandal were still strong. Plus, Clinton's party had recently lost control of Congress, and the Sunday-morning news shows were full of opinions that Clinton himself was in over his head as president.

Dave asked Stevie, in late summer 1994, what she thought of Clinton (after asking her about Fleetwood Mac's inaugural participation). She just said, "I think he's too young," and then qualified with an exaggerated but funny joke about his being her age, and she could barely remember which bus to get on, let alone fix major problems as the leader of the free world.

Stevie was essentially parroting the press meme that Clinton was a young guy who was being whipped about by the tempests in Congress and the White House. I think it would be very misguided to extrapolate from her comments that she voted Republican or right wing. Her parents—big business WASP Southwesterners—probably voted Repub. But Stevie herself has always been a Hollywood bohemian and a '60s hippie.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Let's reexamine the Letterman comment. Clinton had been in office about a year and a half at that point, and had had a mix of successes and failures. But the failure of his health-care reform and the resonance of the Whitewater scandal were still strong. Plus, Clinton's party had recently lost control of Congress, and the Sunday-morning news shows were full of opinions that Clinton himself was in over his head as president.

Dave asked Stevie, in late summer 1994, what she thought of Clinton (after asking her about Fleetwood Mac's inaugural participation). She just said, "I think he's too young," and then qualified with an exaggerated but funny joke about his being her age, and she could barely remember which bus to get on, let alone fix major problems as the leader of the free world.

Stevie was essentially parroting the press meme that Clinton was a young guy who was being whipped about by the tempests in Congress and the White House. I think it would be very misguided to extrapolate from her comments that she voted Republican or right wing. Her parents—big business WASP Southwesterners—probably voted Repub. But Stevie herself has always been a Hollywood bohemian and a '60s hippie.
She also stated in my opinion first before she stated that and the audience chuckled not her so she was serious when she said that on Letterman.Libertarians are more for Freedom less government than the democrats.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

There is little doubt in my mind that her parents were almost certainly Republican.Stevie has given little indication that she might be as well though.On the other hand I think her bohemian and hippie personae was/is more style over substance.She was in the right place and time for it no doubt but compared to many of her peers she was by no means a political activist.She even warned Jackson Browne about participating in no nukes demonstrations while Bonnie Raitt was right there with him.She did not hesitate to voice her displeasure over Dixie Chick Natalie Maines anti- Bush and Iraqi war comments, of course some of that had to do with lost Landslide royalties.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
When does Stevie travel on buses? Except when she's trying to storm out on Lindsey leaving Aspen or romancing some mystery guy, for what it's worth?

Other than that, whither the confusing Greyhounds?

Michele
Old 05-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Soldier's Angel alone told me a lot about Stevie's political views.

Michele
Old 05-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
When does Stevie travel on buses? Except when she's trying to storm out on Lindsey leaving Aspen or romancing some mystery guy, for what it's worth?

Other than that, whither the confusing Greyhounds?

Michele
On the Street Angel tour in 1994 she traveled by bus.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll vote for Stevie . If she was running for office.Atlease she's honest.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 05-27-2012, 05:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I'll vote for Stevie . If she was running for office.Atlease she's honest.
I agree Mac she has my vote in november we all should just write her in as a write in candidate, she might win by a landslide.

Last edited by StandbackStevie; 05-27-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Old 05-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
I think Soldier's Angel alone told me a lot about Stevie's political views.

Michele
Feeling bad for young people who were severely injured in combat is not a political view.

"Soldier's Angel" doesn't take a clear stand, as far as politics; liberals and conservatives could both easily argue that the song supports their side, because people often conflate having compassion and "supporting the troops" with political policy.

Last edited by egg cream; 05-27-2012 at 10:20 PM..
Old 05-27-2012, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg cream View Post
"Soldier's Angel" doesn't take a clear stand, as far as politics; liberals and conservatives could both easily argue that the song supports their side, because people often conflate having compassion and "supporting the troops" with political policy.
The song is more than compassionate, in fact her empathy for the troops is the least interesting, and certainly least informative, aspect of the track.

Michele
Old 05-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was rather surprised in Ken's book when he said Lindsey was moaning about Sally Stanford, a former madam, being re-elected as mayor of Sausalito. I would have thought Lindsey'd be too busy concentrating on pot to worry about a local election and to voice disapproval.

I don't recall the book mentioning the Carter/Ford election and the bandmates' reaction to it at all. Michele
Old 05-28-2012, 04:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg cream View Post
Feeling bad for young people who were severely injured in combat is not a political view.

I agree with you on this as well the song doesn't discuss stevie's political party she supports she was talking about her experience going into walter reed and feels very sad with soldiers that were injured during this war.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
The song is more than compassionate, in fact her empathy for the troops is the least interesting, and certainly least informative, aspect of the track.

Michele
Okay, so enlighten me. What parts of it make a political statement clearly supporting a particular side?