The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love Linda. And I hope no one stones me, but I think I'm kinda over Stevie.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas
Take that back!
Old 01-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by markolas
oh fooey!

no, seriously, when I first got into FM/SN I went in spurts but now a day does not go by that I don't rock out to some La Nicks.

if you're over it, at least you can appreciate what her music has given/meant to you
Old 01-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: under beautiful desert skies of the Tri-cities in WA.

Check the necklace Linda is wearing in the bottom photo. Looks familiar She and Stevie have alot in common

http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/index.html
Old 01-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGypsy
Check the necklace Linda is wearing in the bottom photo. Looks familiar She and Stevie have alot in common

http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/index.html
From that very site the following statement

"Linda achieved her greatest commercial success in the mid-'70s when she became the first female rock superstar and became the top-selling female vocalist for that decade. During this era, she became known as The Queen of Rock and The Queen of Country Rock."

That's news to me. I always thought Stevie Nicks was the "Queen of Rock". Has anyone ever heard of LR called that?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS

"Linda achieved her greatest commercial success in the mid-'70s when she became the first female rock superstar and became the top-selling female vocalist for that decade. During this era, she became known as The Queen of Rock and The Queen of Country Rock."

That's news to me. I always thought Stevie Nicks was the "Queen of Rock". Has anyone ever heard of LR called that?
I vaugely recall Linda being referred to as the Queen of rock in the late 1970s and she was huge then and topped the Rolling Stone reader's polls at that time .Stevie was called the Queen of Rock and Roll by Rolling Stone in 1981 ,by then Linda's 'rock' career had cooled after the overreaching misfire "Mad Love' where Linda tried out New Wave and proved, while vocally gifted as usual ,she was no Debby Harry.Linda 's 1982 album "Get Closer' sold very poorly and she then swicthed successfully to Standards leaving Nicks and Benatar to vie for the title.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3
I vaugely recall Linda being referred to as the Queen of rock in the late 1970s and she was huge then and topped the Rolling Stone reader's polls at that time .Stevie was called the Queen of Rock and Roll by Rolling Stone in 1981 ,by then Linda's 'rock' career had cooled after the overreaching misfire "Mad Love' where Linda tried out New Wave and proved, while vocally gifted as usual ,she was no Debby Harry.Linda 's 1982 album "Get Closer' sold very poorly and she then swicthed successfully to Standards leaving Nicks and Benatar to vie for the title.
Two "Queen of Rock"?!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS
Two "Queen of Rock"?!!!
I was just speaking in terms of early 1980s popularity .Pat and Stevie actually tied in the Rolling Stone Reader's poll in 1981 .I cursed myself for not sending in a ballot that year.Pat took it in 1982 and Stevie by a wide margin in 1983.IMO Pat was never Queen of anything but shrieking and spandex.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: In a dream. looking through a crystal glass or a piece of crystal or a diamond or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
And Waddy Wachtell used to be her guitarist.
I believe Kunkel and Glaub also played with Ronstadt.

I imagine that boning Henley would be another connection.

Regarding confidence, I've seen Linda in concert and she exudes nothing but. Plus she's not afraid to spout her political views and tell people who don't share them that they are stupid!
Old 01-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickypt

Regarding confidence, I've seen Linda in concert and she exudes nothing but. Plus she's not afraid to spout her political views and tell people who don't share them that they are stupid!
which regarding the Iraq invasion she was right on the money .I do disagree with her about one thing though.Stupid is too mild a word.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS

"Linda achieved her greatest commercial success in the mid-'70s when she became the first female rock superstar
Sheesh! Havn't the people on that site ever heard of Connie Francis?!!!

Old 01-20-2006, 06:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Stevie v Linda

I have been a long time fan of Linda Ronstadt's, but have to admit, she cannot hold a candle to Stevie. I agree with the previous comments that Linda technically is a wonderful vocalist, and has sang on some of my favourite albums (Trio-with Dolly & Emmylou, Hasten down the wind, Simple dreams) but she does not have the heart or soul that Stevie does. Stevie has the whole package. The voice, the songwriting ability and the image.
However, i have never seen Linda Ronstadt live (living in the UK!), but she is someone i would dearly love to see. Don't think it's going to happen though, as , i have read she has terrible stage fright (another similarity to Stevie!)
Old 01-20-2006, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

I would tend to agree with what you said, except that as far as "having the whole package" Stevie is probably most deficient in the area that is Ronstadt is most proficient - technical ability.

I like them both, but it's hard for me to compare them because...in some important ways they are too dissimilar. Partly in the way that I have experienced them in my life, but more concrete ways, too.

Anyway, as my first sentence alluded to, my sensibility experiences them in such a way that they balance each other out and I enjoy each very, very much. It's like, together they could make the ubersinger.

Of course I listen to Stevie more, and am more passionate and attached to all things Stevie, but several of Linda's songs/vocals are my very favorite around, and really move me. And I really don't know much of her body of material, mostly the main songs - to me that indicates the high quality of her work. But now that I've heard about it I must hear the album where she tries to go...New Wave?

Oh, man. I just know that's going to be awesomely cheesy-with-good-vocal and I'm going to love it.

Also? Linda was so, so cute. Just cute. Cutie cute.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -

Last edited by amber; 01-20-2006 at 06:22 AM..
Old 01-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Senior Ledgie

Listen to Mad love - that should show you!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Tracker
How about Pat Benatar???
Oh lord, don't bring up Pat...someone may rail you for comparing Stevie to such a contrived, corporate rocker!

But yes, both Stevie and Pat can belt with the best of them. Personally, I think Stevie is definitely the more creative of the two, but when it comes to vocal ability, we all have to admit that Pat has better range and is a better overall singer than Stevie, although even given that, I still enjoy Stevie's voice more.

As far as Linda and Stevie are concerned, the people who said that Linda was not interested in maintaining a fan base and preferred to keep her career more low profile than Stevie's hit the nail on the head. Linda really preferred to keep her personal life under wraps and concentrate more on being a consumate vocalist and interpreter of others' songs than being a songwriter or pop icon. I respect her for this, I also loved the interview she gave not long ago when after being asked by the interviewer how she felt about her influence as a country artist Linda without batting an eye said something to the effect of, "if you want to be influenced by a real country artist, pick up a Kitty Wells record, I am NOT a country singer, don't lay that on me." She is so incredibly humorous and frank in her interviews and will completely shut down if the interviewer asks her anything about her personal life. As far as personalities go, that is one thing she definitely does NOT share with Stevie...Stevie will talk your ear off about her relationships ad nauseum even if it is the canned stuff we hear all the time.