The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-05-2016, 03:29 PM

35 Years Ago: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Face Another Battle on ‘Hard Promises’
By Jeff Giles May 5, 2016 1:28 PM

One notable change was the introduction of Stevie Nicks into Petty’s creative circle. Nicks, who’d been working with Petty producer Jimmy Iovine on her debut solo album, Bella Donna, developed a close working relationship with Petty and the Heartbreakers that spilled over into Hard Promises as well as her own record. “Insider,” a song Petty initially wrote with Nicks in mind, ended up on Hard Promises after Nicks tried singing harmony to Petty’s guide vocal and realized he wouldn’t want to give up the track — so instead, Petty gave Nicks “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around,” a Bella Donna duet between the two that later became a Top 5 hit.

Read More: 35 Years Ago: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Face Another Battle on 'Hard Promises' | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tom-p...ckback=tsmclip
Old 05-07-2016, 03:55 PM

Default Amazing Italian review

It's written by a professor and author of paleontology, but with a great taste if I might add:

Sixty-six years?!
The time is strange.
Our perception of time is strange.
We perceive time as a sequence of events - before, during, after.
This affects our relationship with time, its perception.
I've told the story other times - in the summer of 1984, on a hot night and infested with mosquitoes, with only Pippo Baudo on television, I fished two tapes that had long dwelled in the house.
A friend had given them to my father telling him: "give your son something good to listen," and my father had put them in a drawer and forgot them.
So, in a desperate search for something that would keep the terminal boredom at bay (and did not require to keep the lights on), I put one of those tapes in my Walkman (yes, I know, these things seems taken from the Code of Hammurabi but be patient...) and discovered ... well, this.

Listen to it, then we may go ahead.

Talking about love at first sight is wrong - it was the voice of Stevie Nicks to drag me away.
I listened to "Live" by Fleetwood Mac no less than three times that night.
Stevie Nicks' voice.

Then yes, OK, when I found out more about this group of strangers (none of my high school friends knew, they listened to Duran Duran) there was also the visual impact, and found out what faces those people who were building my personal soundtrack had- Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie were extraordinary for a boy who lived in those years.

Usually we are ashamed, when around twenty/thirty years old, of the songs we listened to as teenagers.
Those who have made up our personal sentimental education, who we may not know it, but they have helped to make us what we are.
After a bit you feel a certain embarrassment.
But Fleetwood Mac, in groups or as soloists, in their English blues or Californian pop incarnation, I have listened to them incessantly for three decades.

Yeah, thirty years old. Which should have given me a minimum defense, protection.
Because today, I found out today Stevie Nicks celebrates her 66 years. Sixty-six years!
But how?

Certainly it depends on the fact that records, books and movies, freeze people at certain moments of the time.

It also depends on the fact that we perceive time subjectively more than anything else.
And in some ways I remain that high school student who listened to Live with the Walkman, and Stevie Nicks in my imagination remains the little girl dressed as a gypsy playing the tambourine.
The one whose voice broke on Landslide...

It is not possible Stevie Nicks is sixty-six years old.
It is not possible that I am forty-seven.
Somewhere something happened.
We got swindled.

But on the other part:

Time makes you bolder
children are getting older
and I'm getting older too

We knew it also that summer night of thirty years ago, right?

Old 05-07-2016, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[from a Billboard Interview with Justin Tranter]

Billboard 4/7/2016 by Shirley Halperin

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...-stefani-songs

Can you tell us about working with Britney Spears on her new album?

It's been such a cool experience. Her voice is just so special, yeah, and she's a very underrated writer. That girl's melodies!

Who's left on your wish list?

Stevie Nicks, Stevie Nicks and... Stevie Nicks! [Laughs] I would also really love to work with Kanye West, because I think he's one of the best producers of all time. And if I could write a hook for Jay Z, that would be really cool.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[from a review of last night's Nashville, which has been canceled by ABC]

Nashville Recap: 'After You've Gone'
POSTED BY ASHLEY SPURGEON ON THU, MAY 12, 2016 AT 12:02 PM

http://www.nashvillescene.com/countr...ter-youve-gone

Some broad I couldn’t instantly recall, later revealed to be Amber, that broad they’re on tour with, tells Gunnar that cute little blond singers get pushed to the front all the time. Yep, women have it notoriously easy in the music industry, just ask this episode’s guest star! Amber compares The Exes to Fleetwood Mac (lololololololololol k) and Scarlett to Stevie Nicks, even though Scarlett’s love life and drug problems are both far, far less impressive. She then asks Gunnar to write with her, and he agrees, as if he or the story had a choice.
Old 05-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article about Bootylicious]

Entertainment Weekly, May 20, 2016 by jessica goodman

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/20...th-anniversary

By May 2001, they had reclaimed the word “Bootylicious” on one of the album’s touchstone tracks that featured the phrase “I don’t think you ready for this jelly” and a Stevie Nicks’ guitar sample. Fifteen years after it was released on May 20, 2001, some of the track’s key players remember how it all went down.

“I had this track that had a Stevie Nicks’ [1981 hit “Edge of Seventeen”] guitar loop on it,” producer Rob Fusari, who has since worked closely with Lady Gaga, told EW in an interview earlier this year. He said hip-hop group Bell Biv Devoe wanted the song, but he gave it to Destiny’s Child’s manager and Beyoncé’s father, Mathew Knowles, instead.

But Mathew Knowles went back and forth with Fusari about the track, debating whether to pull out the Nicks sample, which proved to be a fiscal splurge. “Initially the loop I wanted in the track was from ‘Eye of the Tiger’ which is the same riff,” Fusari said. “I didn’t have the vinyl to handle it, but I did have the Stevie Nicks record. Needless to say, Mathew was adamant about not replacing that loop because I knew it was going to come with a significant sample fee and a copyright that Stevie Nicks would want and sure enough it did. It was 50 percent of everything. He said, ‘The record’s perfect the way it is,’ so I didn’t get to change that. We kind of had a pissing match in terms of what the record needed.”

The sample worked to their advantage when the iconic Fleetwood Mac singer made a cameo in the “Bootylicious” music video, directed by Matthew Rolston. Nicks plays herself in a dressing room, strapped with a glittery guitar and magenta flared pants.

“Putting [Nicks] in the video… I don’t know what better way to put it than it’s woman-centric positioning,” said the album’s mixer Tony Maserati. “It’s super smart.”

Fans and critics agreed when the track hit No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song went on to sell 485,000 units to date, has been streamed more than 36.7 million times, and had a radio audience of 974 million, according to Nielsen Soundscan.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Stevie Scarf in Memory Lane Museum]

http://if.com.au/2016/05/31/article/...GDUBEUBKE.html

Fremont Tribune Patti Jo Peterson Managing editor May 31, 2016

Music is in the air at Memory Lane Museum in Weeping Water as collector Kevin Brack revealed his newest display of song and artists memorabilia in May.

A new display case features a shawl/scarf worn by former Fleetwood Mac singer Stevie Nicks. Carley Simon’s Platinum award for her Greatest Hits album.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:16 PM

Chris Isaak on collaborative songwriting: ‘Like taking your clothes off in front of strangers’

Q: What made you record most of your new album in Nashville?

A: I’m friends with Stevie Nicks, and she did an album called “24 Karat Gold” that I heard and I thought it really sounded great. She said, “Yeah, Nashville.” I thought, well, you’re Stevie Nicks, you’re a legend, you go wherever you want. But I thought that would be expensive. I should have known better. I’ve played Nashville and been there and had friends there. But I thought of Nashville as only country music. I started looking at the songs I had written and I was wondering, “Are they going to look at me and say this isn’t country enough for us to produce?”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...d7d_story.html
Old 06-04-2016, 11:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Top Ten Facts about Frankie on Just Jared

One of our favorite emerging artists has to be Frankie, whose song “New Obsession” has been in our heads for months!

Source: 10 Fun Facts News, Photos, and Videos | Just Jared | http://www.justjared.com/tags/10-fun...ckback=tsmclip

Visit:Just Jared | Twitter | Facebook

#5 . Stevie Nicks is my ultimate queen. When I was nine I dressed up as her for Halloween and no one my age knew who I was but I didn’t care.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[excerpt from Constance Zimmer interview]

Backstage By Rebecca Strassberg | Posted June 9, 2016, 11 a.m.

http://www.backstage.com/interview/9...stance-zimmer/

What’s your go-to karaoke song?

“Don’t Stop Believin’ ” by Journey. That one’s really good. Or anything by Stevie Nicks, really, because I can kind of hit the majority of Stevie Nicks’ chords, so I also tend to sing a lot [of her], too.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Barbra Streisand visited the Winter Garden Theatre and the 'Funny Girl' dressing room and look who's there on the wall next to the orginal Funny Girl:

Wonder if Babs got a little jealous.

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
Barbra Streisand visited the Winter Garden Theatre and the 'Funny Girl' dressing room and look who's there on the wall next to the orginal Funny Girl:

Wonder if Babs got a little jealous.
Wow look at the Stevie stuff on the walls. I always enjoyed Barbra Streisand's music and movies.She looked great on the Tony's the other night.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 06-14-2016, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sierra Boggess from School Of Rock is a huge Streisand fan. I am too.

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

oh a ohhhh, too much pulling or too much something there........................

That's Barbra???
Old 06-15-2016, 05:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post
oh a ohhhh, too much pulling or too much something there........................

That's Barbra???
I know. Yes, she doesn't look like 74 years old and I guess that's great, if you can get used to looking at a stranger in the mirror.

Michele
Old 06-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newzchspy View Post

That's Barbra???
thought the same thing!!!!