Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Based on whose standards?

Oh, and to the poster who said that they think Stevie has a learning disorder: Stevie didn't have enough of one not to get into college and tough it out a few semesters, so I'd say if she does in fact have a learning disorder it is negligible. And not being able to read music after all this time isn't really a good example, I mean, how do we know that she doesn't at least have an elementary knowledge anyway? She hasn't ever really gone into detail. I think maybe when she says she doesn't know how to read music it's twofold: 1.) she's no expert so she generalizes and 2.) she does this as a way of boosting herself up a bit, like, look, I wrote all these wonderful songs and I don't even know how to read music, aren't I awesome?" And yes, I'd say she is.

Even if she DOESN'T know how to read ANY music, that still doesn't mean she has a learning disorder. Learning music, like learning any code, language, or notation system takes time, interest and much hours of study. Maybe Stevie just didn't have a burning desire to master reading music, or didn't have the need . She's done alright thus far without it.
I agree. I read somewhere that Stevie in fact has a high IQ. And she did more than a few semesters at Cal State...I think its more like four years and only a semester or so from graduating. Granted she wasn't taking engineering or physics... I believe it was art or design.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Senior Ledgie

"When I See You Again" is a very sad song, indeed; however, there are moments where she doesn't just sing poorly, but she's trying to fold her voice into the Stevie Nicks sound, and it comes out sounding like baby talk. Buckingham coming in at the end was downright heartbreaking....just a tear jerker - but I could have done with less of the "whats-a-matter babeh's"....some of them were embarrasingly bad, only to be redeemed as the song carries on.

Last edited by Boots; 03-03-2006 at 01:17 PM..
Old 03-03-2006, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots
Buckingham coming in at the end was downright heartbreaking....just a tear jerker - but I could have done with less of the "whats-a-matter babeh's".
Yes and yes.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking

*I too think it's complete bull**** that Stevie stopped singing "Silver Springs" on the SYW tour.....something went down in Atlanta *I too think she does, even a little, regret not having kids. She puts sooo much emphasis on why, as if she is trying to convince herself.
*I LOVE her Tango songs and BTM songs
*I desperately want the set list changed!!!!! (I know I am not alone here) don't get me wrong, I will go see her till the end of time, but I can't lie and say there aren't many songs I want to see live
***GOD this is a great thread!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWS
I read somewhere that Stevie in fact has a high IQ.
People have all sorts of fantasies! Luckily, most of them aren't dangerous.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by THINKABOUTIT
*I too think it's complete bull**** that Stevie stopped singing "Silver Springs" on the SYW tour
Was there something about Kristen Buckingham turning up at one of the shows and she found it too hard to perform with her there, with his kids?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse
-Oh yeah...the coke deal...C'mon, even if everyone was doing it-somewhere in your mind you HAD to know it would come to no good end
The police raided Studio 54 & busted up cocaine parties on what seemed a regular basis back around 1978-1980. Cocaine was widely regarded as a dangerous, illegal drug, even then.
Quote:
Another unpopular opinion that I have is not that she didn't have children because of her love of music and her "art and craft" (the whole, I wouldn't have given myself totally to a child or children...please )
I think it is more along the lines of when she was in her 30's going through so much drama, and turmoil, ( I give the woman credit-she did have some very difficult times emotionally to struggle through)
I've never in my life met a person who didn't have difficult times & emotional struggles to contend with. I've always wondered why Stevie is singled out for praise on that point.
Quote:
I don't have the time/patience/desire to have children-simple as that, but I feel she needs to make it seem more of a selflless act as opposed to a selfish one. She makes it sound like it has been such a sacrifice..that bugs me.
Stevie fans really ram home that sacrifice angle, too. They talk about "Look what Stevie has given up just to give this precious art to us," & they wail & prostrate themselves before The Sacrifice. I find all that pretty silly.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDan
Chris Nicks' resentment of the way he was treated as a child, versus the way his precious and talented sister was treated, played a part in his ability sit back and watch his sister, as an adult, completely fall apart and reach death's door on two seperate occaisions, while he was on her payroll.
Yikes! You pull no punches, Dan. Brutal but trenchant!
Old 03-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
Based on whose standards?
I guess standards that I perceive to be widespread. Just like everybody else, I glean intelligence from another person's words & thoughts & the marshalling of mental elements. We do the same thing with George Bush, don't we? We listen to him speechify & we hear his views & both the expression & the content of those views give us a sense of his intelligence. We do this with virtually everyone we hear, know & meet.
Quote:
And not being able to read music after all this time isn't really a good example, I mean, how do we know that she doesn't at least have an elementary knowledge anyway? Even if she DOESN'T know how to read ANY music, that still doesn't mean she has a learning disorder.
Yeah, the inability to read music is a red herring in the argument. It means nothing. Most rock musicians probably don't know how to -- & don't want to -- read staff notation. For the most part, it simply isn't necessary for what they do. I would imagine a good many jazz musicians don't read notation, either, although that might have changed substantially from the old days. Rock & jazz traditionally aren't notational arts: they're improvisatory. Christine & possibly Bob Welch are probably the only two members of the band since the beginning who actually read music.

What is far more germane to the discussion, to me, is that Stevie, having played piano for 35 years or thereabouts, hasn't improved with that particular skill (I base my perception on a comparison of old '70s demos with her at the piano & demos through the decades up to the present). I teach piano, & that's pretty unheard-of to me.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Was Lindsey's little perfect family too difficult for Stevie to cope with?

Maybe it was hard to look down and see his happy little clan...but remember she has always stated that as much as she loves Lindsey and always will ....but "We are as compatible as a Boa Constrictor and a Rat" I sincerely think this is true-Their relationship was always about tensions/passions/conflict/arguing/and making up...
The REAL reason for all this speculation...we will never know.
I am of the opinion that perhaps one of two things happened...
One-
This time frame, was when she was starting to get, tired, pissy, not happy about the "corsets", and the way she was looking, while performing. and just all in all blaming Lindsey for__________(fill in the blank)
And she just did not want to sing it with/to him because it didn't feel REAL to her at that stage of the tour- Like it was during the Dance (on fire!) or in the earlier part of the tour....or
Two-
It was really just too draining on her, (having to always "put on the show" like she has always maintained is a requirement when you belong to Fleetwood Mac) She has more power in the band now and says Hey-Mick, I don't want to do the back and forth emotions of that song anymore- I am done for awhile..and I think Lindsey would be OK with that and they would find another song to replace it in the set list. And they did-

And the band played on....
just my thoughts**

For never have I been a blue calm sea...I have always been a storm, always been a storm... sln
~~eclipse~~
Old 03-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can think of one right off the top: I freakin LOVE Desert Angel!
Old 03-03-2006, 02:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

I agree, we'll never know. However, I think it's pretty coincidental that she stopped singing it while in Atlanta just after Stella was born and Kristin was hangin' around with the kiddies!

She and Liddy tossed the emotions back & forth on Say Goodbye, and they did that one 'til the end. They claim that the back & forth and emotions on stage are just a "show" - but having been right in front at the stage, I don't think so!!

I agree that towards the end she did get tired and pissy, when I was at Hershey she looked at Liddy with the sadest expression on her face and just stood there and shrugged her shoulders - I've often wondered what that meant.

Just my 2 cents worth
Old 03-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
I can think of one right off the top: I freakin LOVE Desert Angel!
me too.

and I love the wassumattahbaby's in WISYA.
Old 03-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazmenFlowers
me too.

and I love the wassumattahbaby's in WISYA.
Thank god there's at least someone else out there that like Desert Angel. I dont think theres another Stevie song that the fans have a love/hate relationship like this one is there?
Old 03-03-2006, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieRox2
I agree that towards the end she did get tired and pissy, when I was at Hershey she looked at Liddy with the sadest expression on her face and just stood there and shrugged her shoulders - I've often wondered what that meant.
She had gas in Hershey.

Haven't you ever seen the face of someone with gas?