User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Slabo Day question

Hi y'all,

GJK and I have a question. Just recently I ran into a version of Slabo Day with Peter playin the lead and Snowy playing the rhythm guitar. Does anybody have any clue about the origin of this version? And is there any more to find about the In The Skies recording sessions???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUfl...&feature=share
Rob van Unnik let me know that he doesn't know the origin, he just ran in to it and posted it on YT.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:06 AM
Ledgie

Hi Wouter,

This version is on the Snowy White 'Goldtop' album

I started a thread asking much the same.

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=38559

Here is an edited précis of that thread .. listen to the voice right at the start of the track... :-

I have two versions of Slabo Day.
The first is from PG’s 'In The Skies' and is credited with Snowy White playing the lead and PG playing rhythm

The second, which I guess was recorded at the same time is on a Snowy White album ‘Goldtop’.

Right at the beginning of this version, a voice can be heard saying ‘I’ll take it this time’. I am 99% sure that the voice is Peter Green, also the playing seems to have much more depth…
I know the voice that says 'I’ll take it this time’ (with an East London accent) on the 'Goldtop' Slabo Day track is definately Peter. Why would he say that, and not take the lead? (Snowy came from Devon... and grew up on the Isle of Wight, totally different accent)
With the quality of playing on that track, I am convinced that this is Peter on lead.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is another thread earlier than mine that Sharksfan2000 pointed to:-

Norton, this question has come up before - check out this thread:
http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=35327

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still believe that Peter played lead on the 'Goldtop' version

Regards Norton (best bikes ever)
Old 07-26-2014, 07:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Unfortunately, the Goldtop liner notes state that these 2 tracks were from a tape Snowy had before the original was recorded over so I'm guessing there's nothing else left from those sessions.

John
Old 07-29-2014, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Speaking of "Slabo Day", has anyone else heard Tom Petty's song "The Trip To Pirate Cove" from his Mojo album?

To me, it's just "Slabo Day" with lyrics.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Hi Wouter,

Right at the beginning of this version, a voice can be heard saying ‘I’ll take it this time’. I am 99% sure that the voice is Peter Green, also the playing seems to have much more depth…
I know the voice that says 'I’ll take it this time’ (with an East London accent) on the 'Goldtop' Slabo Day track is definately Peter. Why would he say that, and not take the lead?

Regards Norton (best bikes ever)

hi norton, wouter

thanks very much. i've never heard this version and somehow missed the earlier threads. 100% its peter saying 'i'll take it this time' and i agree w/ your interpretation of his intention and that it is peter's lead throughout

just like him to leave this version off in the skies. and just like snowy to put a peter green solo track w/ peter on lead on his career summary

regardless its timeless

you reminded me of the earlier threads about post mac period recordings. snowy was there and close to peter then and over the subsequent years. a very together guy

snowy would be a good person to ask about live peter green recordings from that period and unreleased sessions. also about other outtakes from in the skies though john is probably right about the latter

z
Old 07-30-2014, 03:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Speaking of "Slabo Day", has anyone else heard Tom Petty's song "The Trip To Pirate Cove" from his Mojo album?

To me, it's just "Slabo Day" with lyrics.
It is Slabo Day with lyrics. Even Tom Petty has said so. Unfortunately he didn't credit Green.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:46 PM
Junior Ledgie

Thanks for that brilliant link. Greeny is in fine form... wow. I also did not realize Pirates cove by TP was basically the same song. I love TP and Mike Campbell; I know they play Oh Well Live sometimes and talk up Greeny, but give credit where credit is due my friends. Thanks again.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes the Goldtop version sounds like Peter is soloing and the comment "I'll take it this time" as mentioned by me in the old thread is a clue. Question is why Snowy would put it on a compilation showcasing his own lead work.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Yes the Goldtop version sounds like Peter is soloing and the comment "I'll take it this time" as mentioned by me in the old thread is a clue. Question is why Snowy would put it on a compilation showcasing his own lead work.
This is why I often wondered if when PG said "take it this time" if he meant to Snowy "Do you want to (take it this time)?" as I can hear him say Take It This Time but not the "I'll" and it does have a tone more of a question to me... Just a thought.

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 08-04-2014 at 06:02 PM..
Old 08-04-2014, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
i can't say for sure but it is a great version and snowy is a good friend, admirer and was mentored by peter. my interpretation (assuming that it is peter's lead) is that he put it on goldtop as a tribute

z
Old 08-05-2014, 12:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I always thought the "take it this time" was meant to be part of something like: "We've rehearsed enough, let's take/record it this time."
In the sleeve notes of that Goldtop album, Snowy writes that he included those songs (Slabo Day and In The Skies) because he himself played lead guitar. And the reason for that, was that Goldtop was HIS album.
But the lead guitar on the Goldtop version of Slabo Day does indeed sound like Peter.

Hmmm......
Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
I always thought the "take it this time" was meant to be part of something like: "We've rehearsed enough, let's take/record it this time."
In the sleeve notes of that Goldtop album, Snowy writes that he included those songs (Slabo Day and In The Skies) because he himself played lead guitar. And the reason for that, was that Goldtop was HIS album.
But the lead guitar on the Goldtop version of Slabo Day does indeed sound like Peter.

Hmmm......
Agreed that it does sound like Peter but I forgot about Snowy saying in the liner notes it was him playing the lead. After all, Snowy does a good Dave Gilmour on Pigs On The Wing etc. so though it may sound like Peter on the lead on Slabo Day, maybe it is Snowy trying to sound like Peter?

John
Old 08-06-2014, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, I've never thought about this. I've always assumed that it was Snowy on lead guitar, the same as on the LP. But the more I listen to it, the more I think it sounds like Peter. Could it be that Snowy is wrong???

Listen to the beginning: There's the rhythm guitar starting off. And then Peter chatting in the background?!? It doesn't sound as if the chatting is coming from the same person who is playing the rhythm guitar. I know it sounds stupid, but the thing is that the rhythm guitar is going on uninterrupted by the voice. Instead there is a few doodles from another guitar in the background, coming between Peters chatting. It would be much more likely that this guitar comes from the same person speaking (i.e. Peter). And this guitar eventually starts the real solo in the song.

And the same thing goes for that other outtake on the Goldtop CD: "In the Skies". Again, the solo here really sounds like Peter. And of course, we know from the In The Skies LP sleeve notes that Peter is playing the 2nd lead guitar on that particular song.

Of course, it could be Snowy trying to sound like Peter. But wouldn't it be more likely (especially from a record company point of view) to try to sound like Peter Green 1970 style?? Instead, this guitar solo really sound like Peter Green's laidback 1979 style.

Whoever is playing, the solos are great. Personally, my money now is on Peter.

Last edited by dansven; 08-06-2014 at 09:13 AM..
Old 08-09-2014, 09:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
This is why I often wondered if when PG said "take it this time" if he meant to Snowy "Do you want to (take it this time)?" as I can hear him say Take It This Time but not the "I'll" and it does have a tone more of a question to me... Just a thought.

John
I agree with you, that PG says "(?)...take it this time" not "I'll take it this time".

I don't think it is PG playing the lead on this take. There is something "wrong" with the rhythm and the dynamics in the way it is played. In a way certain parts are too hurried to be PG. These things are hard to explain, it's about that tone again, I suppose....

Ms Moose
Old 08-09-2014, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

. . . to throw in my humble opinion: i wouldn't wanna bet my car (sorry, slipkid, couldn't resist that one ), but i'm sure it's NOT peter on lead - the solo is way too "snowy white"!

don't forget: we're talking 1979! i loved "in the skies" and i still do, very much. but on a listen to the lead guitar style pg displayed on the "skies" album, it's plain to hear that by this time peter didn't have such a flowing in his playing any more. i always admired snowy for the fact that his playing showed such a strong greeny influence - there's nobody i know out there, who is capable of that like snowy white. and for my money the best solos on this album are by snowy.

too bad, i wasn't aware that this version exists when i met snowy last time 'round - i would've asked him about it. maybe someone else can try to make contact to him these days . . .