Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac and Hollywood

Richard recently posted on twitter a memory of a New Year's party at Stevie's in the 1980s where both Jack Nicholson and Warren Beatty were present. I found this interesting since Stevie has always claimed how Hollywood actor types made her nervous with the way they looked at you with devouring eyes and how she's just not like that crowd..... and yet FM was a magnet for lots of movie stars and athletes and such. They've always left any of that footage out of their documentaries, until Stevie had some footage of Reese Witherspoon in the studio during the recording of In Your Dreams. And Lindsey likes to drop in references to filmmakers from time to time.

Do we know any good/bad/interesting Fleetwood Mac and movie stars tales??
Old 02-06-2017, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I seem to remember Richard Dashut's blog recounting when Mick and Richard bumped into Robin Williams and spent some rather interesting time with him. Those two also hung out with Janice Dickinson, not that she is known much for being an actor.

This is a rather oblique connection, but wasn't some of Bella Donna's album photography shot in Bill Cosby's house?

Fleetwood Mac seemed to be a much more private band than most during their heyday. I think perhaps the reason they never had a bigger Hollywood connection is because they were never a political band, and they never had any charitable causes. They seem to have fraternized with contemporary musicians to a degree, but to a lesser extent than most.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Robin Williams, Janice Dickinson = Cocaine

I'm sure they know a lot of Hollywood people.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
They seem to have fraternized with contemporary musicians to a degree, but to a lesser extent than most.
yeah, Mick is either related through marriages or by other ways knows almost every musician out there. sometimes he had some interesting stories during his m&gs when he'd go off on tangents.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Richard also threw major shade at Don Henley. He got asked about him and Glenn Frey and said he never met Glenn but that he did know Don and "if you don't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say anything at all".

He also told a story about when he and Lindsey hung out with George Martin.

And Stevie once said she had a bunch of actresses at her TISL sessions like Meg Ryan and Laura Dern and when Lindsey stopped by he was like "wow" and she told him he should come to more of her sessions.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Richard also threw major shade at Don Henley. He got asked about him and Glenn Frey and said he never met Glenn but that he did know Don and "if you don't have anything nice to say you shouldn't say anything at all".
"No one sucks the fun out of a room faster than Don Henley" - Glenn Frey (rip)

Henley has admitted that he's a malcontent.

Last edited by HomerMcvie; 02-07-2017 at 10:30 AM..
Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Mick and Billy were/are buddies of Gary Busey.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:24 PM

We know Stevie wrote Crying In The Night after having seen Leslie Ann Warren in "The Daughters of Joshua Cabe" and then she actually got to know her in 1983 when she was shooting the video for Stand Back with Jeffrey Hornaday who was dating her at the time and there's this funny anecdote about it from Danny Goldberg's book:

Iovine had struck up a friendship with movie producer Joel Silver, who suggested Jeffrey Hornaday, the choreographer for the recently released hit movie Flashdance, and who was anxious to prove he could direct. Stevie and Hornaday concocted a stylized performance video augmented by dancers.
Hornaday was in his mid-twenties, with long blond hair. His boyish appearance masked an intense ambition, which was stoked by his girlfriend at the time, actress Lesley Ann Warren. She accompanied him at every stage of production, sometimes literally whispering advice in his ear.
During the first rehearsal Stevie asked Jimmy to give her feedback. The two of them had maintained a strong creative connection and Jimmy was able to communicate approval, humor, and concern through body language as he paced back and forth during her run-through. Lesley misguidedly accosted Jimmy and suggested that he was “distracting” Stevie. This almost instantly shattered the video shoot into opposing camps, with Hornaday and Lesley on one side and the people who worked with Stevie on the other.
A couple of days later Hornaday showed Jimmy, Paul, and me an edit, and Jimmy quickly listed half a dozen changes he expected Stevie would want. Hornaday angrily said, “Let’s see what Stevie says.” A few minutes later Stevie made her entrance into the editing bay, looked at the video, and listed exactly the same problems that Jimmy had predicted. Hornaday began arguing with her about the merits of his “vision.” Jimmy jumped up from his chair and, waving his finger at Hornaday, insisted, “There is no argument. This isn’t a movie. This is Stevie’s video. You do what Stevie wants.” Taken aback by Iovine’s hostile tone, Hornaday answered, “**** you, man,” at which point Iovine, still standing, punched him in the face, toppling Hornaday over. Hornaday was a dancer and a natural athlete, but his attempt to retaliate was blocked as we all jumped in to restrain both angry guys and Stevie, weeping, flung her body physically in between them.
Shortly thereafter the editing room cleared out, leaving just me, Lesley Ann Warren, and Joel Silver. “You know,” said Lesley, “I think this was really good. Everybody got their feelings out.” Silver looked at her with scorn and replied, “Lesley, there is nothing good about this.”

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-07-2017 at 12:37 PM..
Old 02-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not an interesting Hollywood story per se...
Apparently at the end of the 80's when Stevie Nicks was making The Other Side of The Mirror she liked to throw big A list parties at her house. Rupert Hine (who she was in a relationship with at that time) felt a bit out of his depth. She threw a party to celebrate U2 being in town for Rattle and Hum and Rupert opened the door to the first guest and found Jack Nicholson- sounds as if she's really pally with Jack (that and Jack Nicholson at the time probably attended every possible celebrity party). The rest of the party consisted of U2, John MacEnroe & Tatum O'Neele, Cher and plenty of other A listers. This party was November 4th 1988 and just a few days after she'd already hosted a big celebrity Halloween party (Mick went as Jesus and arrived with a real donkey).

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 02-07-2017, 09:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I seem to remember Richard Dashut's blog recounting when Mick and Richard bumped into Robin Williams and spent some rather interesting time with him. Those two also hung out with Janice Dickinson, not that she is known much for being an actor.

This is a rather oblique connection, but wasn't some of Bella Donna's album photography shot in Bill Cosby's house?

Fleetwood Mac seemed to be a much more private band than most during their heyday. I think perhaps the reason they never had a bigger Hollywood connection is because they were never a political band, and they never had any charitable causes. They seem to have fraternized with contemporary musicians to a degree, but to a lesser extent than most.
see I think in fact it's just the opposite. When you start reading people's accounts of those days and all the parties they went to or other celebrities went to Fleetwood Mac was in the center of Hollywood connections. I mean Jack Nicholson, Warren Beatty, Stevie was invited to a big bash with Liz Taylor right after she (Stevie) got out of rehab, Ken's accounts of recording Rumours and Tusk talk about all the A-listers and big names who were there in and out of the studio the whole time. Their PR people carefully didn't put any of that footage in any of their docs from the time but....they were with everyone. Sean Penn talked in an interview about hanging with them and attending several of their parties, Stevie hung out with Jose Eber who was THE hairstylist of the stars, etc. So as much as she paints herself a little miss thing she's very much on the Hollywood circuit. Andy Summers talked about how she hung out at the Rainbow which was a MAJOR hangout/pickup joint for top rock stars. Lindsey is friends with a lot of top film people. I think they're all into it and always have been, just not blabby about it.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-07-2017, 10:46 PM

Haha.. Christine got her fair share of it..
Old 02-07-2017, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Your comment reminded me of something in Carol Ann's book. She wrote about how FM would throw big parties and spend just an hour or two meeting with the celebrities in attendance. Then FM and their crew/friends would separate themselves and form their own private party.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think that FM was more private than most at all... Probably less private.

For Stevie, I instantly think of many female celebrities: Sheryl Crow, Haim, Taylor Swift, Adele, Lady Gaga, Florence Welch, Katy Perry, Vanessa Carlton, Mariah Carey, Beyonce... That list is endless.

And of actresses: Tavi Gevinson, Christina Applegate, Reese Witherspoon, to name a few.

In terms of FM's contemporaries, it seems they hung out with mostly people in the music business like them so I wouldn't call them reclusive by a long shot.

Can someone post the article where Stevie talks about Hollywood types?
Old 02-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Not an interesting Hollywood story per se...
Apparently at the end of the 80's when Stevie Nicks was making The Other Side of The Mirror she liked to throw big A list parties at her house. Rupert Hine (who she was in a relationship with at that time) felt a bit out of his depth. She threw a party to celebrate U2 being in town for Rattle and Hum and Rupert opened the door to the first guest and found Jack Nicholson- sounds as if she's really pally with Jack (that and Jack Nicholson at the time probably attended every possible celebrity party). The rest of the party consisted of U2, John MacEnroe & Tatum O'Neele, Cher and plenty of other A listers. This party was November 4th 1988 and just a few days after she'd already hosted a big celebrity Halloween party (Mick went as Jesus and arrived with a real donkey).

HOW THE HECK DID HE GET A DONKEY?!