Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
And preferably as Small Machine
Old 05-22-2012, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Concert Review: Lindsey Buckingham at the Neptune Theatre, Seattle, WA, 5/19/12

Author: Dusty Somers — Published: May 22, 2012 at 1:19 pm 0 comments

Fleetwood Mac singer and guitarist Lindsey Buckingham brought his solo act to Seattle’s Neptune Theatre Saturday, delivering a tight 80-minute set to an adoring audience. Spontaneity and surprises were in short order — just take a look at the track listing for Buckingham’s latest live record, and you’ll nearly find this show’s setlist — but there was no questioning his commitment to his musicianship, as intricately picked guitar solo after guitar solo brought waves of standing ovations.

In the intimate confines of the Neptune, Buckingham played songs from what he called the “small machine” as opposed to the “big machine” that is Fleetwood Mac. Alternating solo work with Fleetwood tunes he’s penned over his long career with the band, Buckingham offered up fan favorite after fan favorite — a few opening chords all that was necessary to evoke thunderous applause.

Armed only with a massive arsenal of guitars, Buckingham made it clear his wide-ranging vocals haven’t degraded over the years at all — the soulful, searching pop vocals of “Trouble” and the increasingly throaty, yelping rock strains of “Big Love” both rang out crystal clear.

When introducing “Big Love” — originally meant to be a solo work, but used as a Fleetwood Mac single — Buckingham’s explanation that the song was written in 1987 was met with an enthusiastic cry of “I wasn’t even born yet!” from an obvious mega-fan near the front. Elsewhere, Saturday’s audience certainly skewed baby boomer-ish, but Buckingham is no mere nostalgia relic. One only needed to witness the blistering, extended guitar solo that capped off “I’m So Afraid” to confirm his abilities remain vital.

Despite the show’s fairly rigid setlist construction, Buckingham mostly managed to avoid any sense of staleness, except perhaps for a rather perfunctory rendition of “Go Your Own Way,” which pretty much gets by on its massive appeal and name recognition alone. Nevertheless, Saturday’s performance was an impressive display of talent.

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/music/article...#ixzz1vXQqPccZ
Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
And preferably as Small Machine
yes, Small Machine all the way!!

we don't need another 3 year wait for a new FM album and another hits tour, paying big bucks for tickets from scalpers to see one show in some huge arena while all macsters are getting ancient as the years go by...

especially when we can instead have LB touring with several different sets of all his great solo stuff (tons we still need to hear!), and spoiling us with his phenomenally energetic solo shows in intimate venues.

Big Machine can tour in very very short legs off and on if they have to, but we need Small Machine!!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
yes, Small Machine all the way!!

we don't need another 3 year wait for a new FM album and another hits tour, paying big bucks for tickets from scalpers to see one show in some huge arena while all macsters are getting ancient as the years go by...

especially when we can instead have LB touring with several different sets of all his great solo stuff (tons we still need to hear!), and spoiling us with his phenomenally energetic solo shows in intimate venues.

Big Machine can tour in very very short legs off and on if they have to, but we need Small Machine!!
Agree with all that 100% (as you know ) - couldn't have put it any better!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.metro.us/newyork/entertai...-small-machine

Lindsey Buckingham revs up 'the Small Machine'

MICHAEL TULLBERG/GETTY IMAGES

With the aid of only his guitars and voice, Lindsey Buckingham turned in an impressive set at the Wilbur in Boston on Tuesday night.

PAT HEALY
Published: May 30, 2012 2:58 p.m.
Last modified: June 01, 2012 4:18 p.m.

When Lindsey Buckingham treated the half-full house at the Wilbur Theatre to "Go Insane," something remarkable happened. Though the Boston crowd was affectingly vocal on Tuesday night, it was impossible to overlook the empty rows on the floor and the unused third-floor balcony of the 1,200-capacity venue. But with his performance of his biggest solo hit (and frequent Fleetwood Mac live tune), a seismic shift of sympathy occurred, where instead of feeling badly for a performer who should be able to fill such a small hall, one could instead feel badly for every person who didn't buy a ticket for any of those unoccupied seats.

Standing alone on an oriental rug in front of a Jenga-like assembly of amps, Buckingham delivered a set that included material from what he calls 'the Small Machine,' (his solo work) as well as a few classics from 'the Big Machine,' (Fleetwood Mac). The set was paced perfectly, as he warmed up and let himself indulge in the amazing guitar intricacies that he makes look so effortless.

When he presents these Big Machine songs in the Small Machine format, it's almost difficult to imagine there being a need for any additional instruments, because Buckingham fills the sound so well with just six strings. On some of these numbers though, he did cue up a prerecorded rhythm track. It's odd to hear a recording of his voice, humbly counting in the beat to "Go Your Own Way," when one considers how notoriously expensive it was to record "Rumours," the album that houses this song. The earnest backing rhythm here sounded like he programmed it on an outdated computer. But there is a definite charm in all of this, and to watch him rip that famous solo is just as inspiring as it would be in a sold-out arena in 1977.

In the quiet after Buckingham had completed the Fleetwood Mac song, "Come," from their 2003 album, "Say You Will," a fan shouted out a request for "Tusk." Buckingham's response was as good-natured as Bill Hader's impersonation of him on "Saturday Night Live" as the guest who host Deandre Cole just never has enough time to get to on the "What Up With That?" talk show. When presented with a request for a song that has come to represent the Big Machine overindulgence that is so distinctly the opposite of what Buckingham is doing on this tour, the singer joked, "That was as close as you're going to get to 'Tusk' ... unless you brought a marching band with you."

Maybe that was the reason behind the multiple empty rows in the front; the dude who requested the song had planned to bring a marching band with him, but they never showed up. Regardless, Buckingham never appeared fazed by the small turn-out. He had no problem tapping into the passion of his compositions, and rendering these songs with whatever energies they required, whether it be whispering, shouting until his veins popped out or playing solos with his mouth open and his eyes closed.

"Boston, you were an absolute pleasure," said Buckingham as he took a final bow goodnight. The pleasure was all ours, Lindsey.

More about Lindsey Buckingham , Fleetwood Mac , Stevie Nicks , Bill Hader , Saturday Night Live , What Up With That

weird about first rows being empty - those tix were showing up as sold on TM - must be the scalpers who were not able to get what they wanted.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.masslive.com/entertainmen...owd_at_ca.html

Lindsey Buckingham pleases crowd at Calvin Theatre

Published: Sunday, June 03, 2012, 9:19 AM
Updated: Sunday, June 03, 2012, 10:09 AM
By George Lenker

There are only a few ways to review a concert, but let me try what I think is a different method for Lindsey Buckingham's Saturday night show at the Calvin Theatre in Northampton: giving you the good and the not-so-good in separate doses.

Before we start, let's acknowledge that the former Fleetwood Mac member did nothing but wow the enthusiastic crowd which filled about 3/4 of the venue. But fans are fans and performers have to be pretty bad for their faithful to turn on them.

This is not to imply Buckingham wasn't good. He was. But there were (admittedly subjective) aspects to the show that weren't wonderful.

Good: Buckingham's masterful fingerpicking
Not-as-good: His too-long guitar solos

Buckingham's talent as a finger piker is nearly unrivaled in rock music–and maybe in any genre of music. The barrage of notes that come arpeggiating off the fretboard is truly jaw-dropping. On songs such as "Not Too Late" and "Big Love" (which featured a beautiful, slower reworking of his 1987 hit with Fleetwood Mac.) He also effectively employed a looper (a device that allows you to layer parts live, or use prerecorded ones as backing tracks) to create wonderful textures.
But on several tunes, notably "I'm So Afraid," the guitarist indulged his rock-star sensibilities to get the better of his judgment. While lengthy guitar solos may be fine when jamming with a real band, shorter, tastier ones would have served Buckingham in this setting. The repetitive and sonorous solo at the close of "I'm So Afraid was at least four minutes. The crowd liked it, though.

Good: His impressively strong vocals
Not-as-good: His earnest between songs philosophical patter.

When Buckingham opens his mouth to sing, (what he's there for) amazing things happen. If anything, his voice seems to have gotten better with age. His ferocious roar on some songs was more grittier than ever. On the Fleetwood Mac hit, "Go Your Own Way," added an extra vocal oomph that isn't on the single. On his solo 1984 hit "Trouble," he held some notes for almost 10 seconds. Not too shabby for a 62-year-old.
But while his singing vocals were near-amazing, his speechifying was a little too guru-ish. There is no doubt Buckingham is a thoughtful and introspective guy, but a little of this goes a long way in a concert setting, especially when not tempered with a lot of humor. There was nothing wrong with what he said, but last time I checked, we already have a Dalai Lama.

Good: The overall show
Not-as-good: The length of the show.

He played the hits. (the above-mentioned ones as well as "Never Going Back Again"). He played them well. He slipped in a few great new songs. He put on a show. He acknowledged the audience. In the end, I'd give it a B+.

But not counting the two-song encore, he played just an hour. While that's plenty for the likes of me, I can't help think some fans may have felt shortchanged. But everyone seemed really happy, so maybe it was good for everyone.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham creates orgasmic moment onstage

(this is a review article from the woman that shared those great photos from Lupos - especially that b&w one)

http://www.examiner.com/article/lind...moment-onstage

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
June 4, 2012

Lindsey Buckingham creates orgasmic moment onstage

Phyllis Pascazio
Providence Concert Photography Examiner
+ Subscribe

8 photos
View the full slideshow »

The night had finally arrived. Lindsey Buckingham was scheduled to perform at Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel. With the work day over, it was time to head into the city for an evening of food, photography and glorious music. I gathered my photo equipment, hopped into the Hyundai, drove up the street to pick up my assistant and headed for Providence.

The downtown area was alive with university students and couples out for the evening. The streets were not crowded by any standard, but it was nice to see the current resurgence of activity in the downtown area.

View slideshow: Images of Lindsey Buckingham 2012
Here and there, Providence's homeless community was represented as well, leaning against shadowed walls or standing in the open air. They had at least one thing in common with the students and the couples this evening: everyone was enjoying the pleasant weather after so many days of unbearable heat and intermittent rain.

It took a few minutes of circling around, but eventually I found a parking spot on the street, just two blocks from Lupo's. Although I was already in a good mood, the free parking spot put a touch more spring in my step.

As fortune would have it, I had parked directly across the street from a Japanese/Korean restaurant. When the culinary aroma wafted across to us, my assistant and I simultaneously realized we were hungry. Happily, we were both suddenly in the mood for Japanese/Korean food, so we crossed the street and entered the restaurant.

Since neither of us had been there before, we scoured the ample menu, discussed what some of the more obscure items might be, and finally asked for assistance from our very helpful server.

We chose a few items that sounded interesting, and decided to split one meal rather than stuff ourselves or deal with leftovers. After all, we were there on assignment. We ordered spicy seaweed salad, a crunchy tuna/salmon sushi roll and a dish neither of us had tried before, then relaxed with our hot tea and discussed the evening ahead, planning our attack while we waited for the food to arrive.

First came the seaweed salad. The spiciness pleasantly surprised us both. Conversely, the wasabi that came with the sushi roll did not provide that "punch in the mouth" that always makes me grimace and act like I'm on fire, theatrics that never fail to amuse my assistant whenever she witnesses it.

The meal was superb. I paid the bill, and we made our way back to the car to get the equipment.

I chose two digital camera bodies, one housing my "nifty-fifty", the other attached to a telephoto lens that always accompanies me to such events. It's not the fastest lens in the bag, but it does the trick.

We walked the two blocks fairly quickly, and arrived at the box office just minutes before the doors opened. There were two people ahead of us on line, if you can call that a line. Soon, others started arriving, and by the time the show began, the place was filled with Buckingham fans.

My assistant and I chose a safe spot off to the side, where we wouldn't be jostled or be in anyone's way. I got set up, made some test shots and waited for the show to begin.

On stage, the spotlight illuminated a lone guitar and a mike. When the announcer introduced him, Lindsey gently appeared from out of the shadows beyond the spotlight's reach, like a long anticipated lover.

Judging by the reaction of the crowd, he is indeed adored by his fans. The feeling is obviously mutual, as the first thing he did after entering the glow of combined spotlight and adoration was to place his palms together in a gesture of thanksgiving. It seemed to me that he was honoring his source, his audience and himself with that one gesture.

He needed no warm-up band, no accompaniment. It was pure Lindsey, as he strummed and sang songs old and new, touching now and then on his days with Fleetwood Mac, and filling in the rest with tunes from his solo career. It was glorious.

My favorite moment happened about half a dozen songs into the set. The room suddenly went quiet. We all knew something good, something holy was about to happen. When the familiar guitar riffs of "Never Going Back Again" gently teased their way into our psyches, the entire audience responded, then seemed to hold its breath. An act of lovemaking was about to begin.

The words came hesitantly, almost in a whisper.

"She broke down... and let me in..."

Another soft riff tease floated around us. There were some quick affirmations from the crowd, then silence again.

"Made me see where I've been..."

More responses. More silence. It was magic.

"Been down one time..." We were transported.

"Been down two times..." Release was imminent.

"Never goin' back again." Waves of ecstasy washed over the room. We were fulfilled.

You can be sure, if Lindsey Buckingham returns to Providence, I will go back again. And again. And again.

------

Phyllis Pascazio also writes about local and national happenings in her column on Providence genealogy. Her national column on Lyme disease helps to spread the word about this growing concern and the issues surrounding it. She hopes that you will visit and subscribe to these pages as well.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Lindsey Buckingham At B.b. Kings

wow - another stellar review (i didn't know venue was sold out both nights?):

http://www.localbozo.com/2012/06/lin...oncert-review/

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM AT B.B. KINGS: A LOCALBOZO.COM CONCERT
REVIEW

MusicReviews — 06 June 2012
Lindsey Buckingham
B.B. Kings, New York, NY
June 5th, 2012

Whenever you go see a member of a landmark band out on the road in a solo setting there exists certain expectations on both sides of the fence. For the singer-songwriter it’s hope that the audience will support their current work apart from the entity which made them notable. On the flip side, some members of the audience anxiously wonder whether the talent will omit certain hits from the set that connected them to said artist in the first place. On Tuesday night, Fleetwood Mac founding member Lindsey Buckhingham took to the stage of Manhattan’s B.B. King’s Blues Club for the second of two sold out nights and literally bull-dozed any of these expectations immediately. LocalBozo.com was front and center for a show that beautifully married his prolific work with Fleetwood Mac and his much beloved solo efforts.

At 9pm on the nose, Buckingham walked onto a bare bones stage which included a few amps, guitars, and a mic stand. The capacity crowd roared with excitement as Buckingham greeted them with an overly gracious bow and subsequent wave. And without wasting a moment he launched right into “Cast Away Dreams,” an opener from his solo work that managed to be touching, while also making us all rock out like we were teenagers again. Almost immediately, it was easy to see how Buckingham compensates for not having a full backing band on stage with him. His progressive style has armed him with an innovative collection of foot pedals that allow him to loop his own guitar playing in order to round out any song. This allows Buckingham the ability to explore the space with jams that seriously moved the New York City faithful.

The wide breadth of Buckingham’s solo career became more evident when he launched into “Not Too Late,” which demanded the audience to sit and listen to every lick which could only be played on an acoustically. Buckingham howled each heartbreaking yet reaffirming lyric as he expertly finger plucked the guitar. As the song concluded, fellow audience members were moved into one of many standing ovations throughout the set.

Buckingham is first and foremost an entertainer and one who knows exactly what the audience craves. And after receiving tons of love with all the solo tracks played, he launched into some tremendous renditions of Fleetwood Mac classics. Right before he began playing the familiar chords of “Never Going Back Again” and “Big Love,” addressed the band’s rich history and current state, describing them as the “Big Machine” an allusion to Fleetwood Mac and the “Small Machine,” a reference to his solo work. Both classic tunes made members of the crowd sing along and dance in the aisles. Although it would certainly have been incredible to see longtime stage partner Stevie Nicks harmonize with him, Buckingham’s raw ability allowed him to own the stage with the depth of a full band standing beside him on the intimate stage.

The hour and a half set time blew right by. It was just that good. Buckingham had easily won us over with his solo work that sounded on par with the great tunes of the “Big Machine.” But as a perfect cherry on top to a perfect evening of classic rock n’ roll, Buckingham surprised many in attendance by bursting into the Fleetwood Mac super-hit, “Go Your Own Way.” The song was an instant face melter for the audience. We sang it word for word, while looking on in awe to an artist who gave us everything we wanted and then some.

- Jay Rubin
Old 06-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.examiner.com/review/linds...-42nd-street-1

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM
June 7, 20121 COMMENT

Lindsey Buckingham: Going Solo on 42nd Street

Katie Handlon
NY Music Scene Examiner

Tuesday night, Fleetwood Mac singer/guitarist, Lindsey Buckingham graced the stage at B.B. King Blues Club for an evening of intricate and powerful solo work, sprinkled with a dash of Fleetwood folk-rock.

Buckingham is currently touring the Northeast region, playing to small crowds for an intimate effect. His vocal strength and superior musicianship make for an unforgettable experience. The sold out crowds cheered him on throughout his two-day run at the mid level capacity, Times Square nightclub.

With a simple stage; a few amps, a couple of monitors and a mic, Buckingham glided onto stage and launched into “Cast Away Dreams,” an airy, mellow piece. His 75-minute set included various solo pieces like, ”Rock Away Blind,” “Trouble,” and finished with, “You Can Go Your Own Way,” of Fleetwood Mac fame.

Buckingham described his career-long musical relationship between Fleetwood Mac to his solo material as, “The big machine is Fleetwood Mac and the small machine is the solo stuff. The small scale projects allow you to keep growing and keep taking risks.”

Buckingham’s superior skill as a guitarist may go overlooked within Fleetwood due to his being ‘part of a whole,’ but his solo performance highlights his self-taught classical technique, using finger-picking rather than a pick to create lush, multi-layered pieces. As one of Rolling Stone’s 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time, Buckingham stands firmly as a virtuoso and showman.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.examiner.com/review/linds...udience-ithaca

Lindsey Buckingham captures the audience in Ithaca

David Garlow
Syracuse Local Music Examiner

8 photos
View the full slideshow »

Lindsey Buckingham romanced a small crowd in Ithaca at the State Theater on Friday, delighting those in attendance. His set lasted about one hour and featured a mix of new and old as well as some Fleetwood Mac songs. As I was ready to make the trek, I was unfortunately unable to actually do so, but I did have a talented photographer there to take some photos and asked him about the evening.

Mr. Jack Bocchino is not only a top quality person first and foremost; he is exceptionally honest and a gem in the area with his eye for the scenes, support of local music, and a contributing writer for our local Syracuse area Table Hopping magazine. In short, one hell of a guy! Here is what I asked and what he had to say.

View slideshow: Lindsey Buckingham captures the audience in Ithaca
Dave- I have friends that tell me it’s a tight fit in that venue, old school; what were your observations?

Advertisement

Jack - Tight squeeze? Size of seats seemed typical for an old venue. Number of seats? It’s about 1600. His audience filled less than half, perhaps 400 to 500.

Dave- Normally these places have excellent acoustics, was that true?

Jack - Acoustics were good. I think that maybe a slight less volume would have led to a warmer sound, but I don't think it was overpowering by any means.

Dave – What were some of the highlights of the show in your opinion?

Jack - Highlight? His style of guitar picking was impeccable and his vocals were spot on; unmistakably Lindsey Buckingham. He did have some nice stories to accompany his songs; at one point he talked about the importance of change and another he mentioned solo versus Fleetwood Mac and how he doesn't think one could exist for him without the other. Another highlight was when he took a moment to shake a few hands and sign some autographs, just before his encore.

Dave – Do you remember what he played as the encore?

Jack - I honestly cannot remember which songs he played in the encore.

Fair enough, and thank you Jack for these wonderful photos and being my eyes and ears in a pinch, you sir are a gem!

While Jack O Bocchino has become established as a strong supporter of live and local music scene, he prefers to consider it partial payment to the local music community for the support and entertainment they have given him over many years. He dabbles in amateur photography and posts many photos of local musicians on his Facebook page, which can be found by searching on his name. He can be reached at jobocchino@gmail.com
Old 06-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://blogs.mcall.com/lehighvalleym...est-cafe-.html

June 11, 2012
Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham goes his own way, solo at Musikfest Cafe

Categories: Concert Reviews, Music, Music News, Musikfest
Posted by John J. Moser at 09:03:54 AM on June 11, 2012

When he plays for Fleetwood Mac, Lindsey Buckingham always seems like the intense lead guitarist whose fervor is about to bubble over at any moment.

Playing alone and acoustic Sunday at Musikfest Café at SteelStacks in Bethlehem, Buckingham was precisely that: a fervent singer and guitarist who performed every song with such intensity that it did, at points, boil over.

Lindsey Buckingham in file photo

Through a 13-song set that covered his solo work as well as his songs with Fleetwood Mac, standing at a single microphone all night, Buckingham’s guitar work was virtuoso, his voice stronger than it is in the group.

At 62, his hair gray and receding but his body slim and fit in a black leather jacket and jeans, Buckingham seemed both sage and springfully sanguine.

He opened the show at full-tilt with “Cast Away Dreams” from his 2006 solo album “Under The Skin,” his voice – with its familiar Fleetwood Mac ring – ranging from dramatic to almost a whisper.

And he did both throughout the set. On the second song, Fleetwood Mac’s “Bleed to Love Her,” he wailed in a near scream, his guitar playing as bold and loud as his voice. “Not Too Late,” also from “Under The Skin,” showed Buckingham’s signature swirling, intricate finger-picking; his voice just as intricate.

He even offered an instrumental, “Stephanie,” from his little-heard 1973 album “Buckingham Nicks” with future Fleetwood Mac partner Stevie Nicks. On it, his guitar playing was masterful – his eyes closed, his head bobbing.

By the time he started the fifth song, Fleetwood Mac’s “Come,” he was playing his fifth guitar from a collection of 12 he brought on stage (with similar-looking instruments, I lost track after that). And his playing was similarly new: using looped sonic solos, it was moody and ominous. It brought a big cheer from the sold-out audience of 650.

On “Shut Us Down,” he wailed with desperation, coming to the front of the stage and learning forward to play blindingly fast, but quiet. It was an amazing display of talent.

“Go Insane,” one of his biggest solo hits, came halfway through the set. Slow and strikingly, startlingly different from the recorded version, it, indeed, conveyed impending insanity, with strong, barely controlled strumming and him singing a long, strong note as he pointed to the audience. It brought the first of several standing ovations.
That started the show’s better-known songs. Fleetwood Mac’s “Never Going Back Again” was greeted by cheers but sung literally in a whisper as the crowd whooped him along. That brought the first instance of Buckingham boiling over, as he finished by stomping his feet to another standing ovation.

He introduced the band’s “Big Love” with an explanation that he wrote it in 1987 as a song of alienation, but it has grown into one of meditation. As he sang it, he convulsed as he growled the lyrics.
For Fleetwood Mac’s “I’m So Afraid,” he hypnotically rocked back and forth, eyes closed, as his fingers plucked the strings. And he again boiled over, leaping and nearly kneeling and pounding the strings. It brought another standing ovation.

And “Go Your Own Way,” which closed the main part of his set, was far less subtle than on the record, as Buckingham pounced and pounded the strings. But a dozen people danced, and afterward he shook hands with the front row.

The biggest complaint about Buckingham’s show is that there wasn’t more of it.

With sparse crowd interaction – he broke from playing to speak at any length just three times – a show that was billed as “An intimate evening with” seemed even shorter than its 73 minutes. There also were some significant omissions, among them his solo “Holiday Road” and Fleetwood Mac’s “Second Hand News.”

But he returned for an encore of his biggest solo song, 1981’s “Trouble,” offering his most nuanced performance of the night.
And he closed in the same way with “Seeds We Sow,” the title song from his most recent solo CD. He introduced it as “a song about choices,” and he offered it quietly and whispered, with gentle guitar.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.starsightings.com/photo/v...st-Center.html

Lindsey Buckingham Sighting in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania on 06/10/12 at 11:00 AM at ArtsQuest Center

1 DAY AGO
Lindsey Buckingham

Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham performs for a sold out crowd during an intimate solo show Sunday evening at the Musikfest Cafe in the ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks in Bethlehem, Pa
Reported by: www.apimages.com

Larger photo and full story:

Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham performs for a sold out crowd during an intimate solo show Sunday evening at the Musikfest Cafe in the ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks in Bethlehem, Pa.

(AP Photo/The Express-Times, Matt Smith)

Use Information: This content is intended for editorial use only. For other uses, additional clearances may be required.

Contributor: Newspaper Member
Fleetwood Mac guitarist Lindsey Buckingham performs for a sold out crowd during an intimate solo show Sunday evening at the Musikfest Cafe in the ArtsQuest Center at SteelStacks in Bethlehem, Pa. (AP Photo/The Express-Times, Matt Smith)
Location Bethlehem, PENNSYLVANIA, United States
Event Lindsey Buckingham
Creation Date Monday, June 11, 2012
Submit Date Monday, June 11, 2012 4:43 AM
Subject Rock music, Celebrity, Music festivals, Music, Entertainment, Arts and entertainment
Transmission Reference PAEAS103
Image ID 12061104343
Image Resolution‡ 2000 x 1422 - 291.54 KB
Byline Title MBR
Credit ASSOCIATED PRESS
Featured Person Lindsey Buckingham
Person Lindsey Buckingham
Photographer Uncredited
Category Domestic News
Source Express-Times
Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

By Matt Smith

Lindsey Buckingham takes a risk by performing at the Musikfest Cafe
Published: Monday, June 11, 2012, 12:14 AM

Lindsey Buckingham and his music can be described as quirky and eccentric, but it cannot be overlooked that the man is a risk-taker.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame member is on the tail end of a six-week tour billed as "An Intimate Evening with Lindsey Buckingham." And that is mostly what the show was for the sold-out crowd of 642 gathered Sunday night at the Musikfest Café in the Artsquest Center at Steelstacks in Bethlehem.
A man, a guitar and a microphone, all amplified out over the room. Add to the situation a varied songbook from which to draw, be it in his time with Fleetwood Mac or his solo career, which has been reinvigorated recently having seen the release of three studio albums over the past six years.
The night began smoothly with "Cast Away Dreams," off of 2006's Under the Skin, with more songs played from that album than any of his other solo efforts.

The instantly recognized stripped down version of "Go Insane" started a run of songs that were made popular with different arrangements and styles, including the Fleetwood Mac classics "Never Going Back Again" and "Big Love."
The former gained a vast amount of sincerity over the bouncy recording found on the 1977 mega-selling album Rumours. "Never Going Back Again," about the optimism of finding new love, is aided by Buckingham's trademark soft to loud guitar playing and singing finishing with an emphasis on the chorus that had the crowd thoroughly convinced.

The on again/off again member of Fleetwood Mac mentioned the band a few times over the course of the swift 70-minute show, mostly while talking about the "Big Machine," which referenced the band, and the "Small Machine," a nod to his solo career.

"Tonight I am here on my own," Buckingham stated between songs. "Artists need to take risks in order to grow."

Indeed it is a big risk to perform alone, though some songs, including the blistering "I'm So Afraid," were accompanied by a rhythm track giving the 62 year-old guitarist a chance to show he has not lost the ability to command a room with his searing solos.

His frenzied finger-picking style was on display to close out the set with the 1982 Top 10 hit "Trouble" and the title track off his most recent solo effort, "Seeds We Sow," released back in 2011. A humble and much appreciative Buckingham thanked the enamored crowd and enthusiastically stomped his way off the stage knowing that he proved to himself and everyone on their feet that the risk was well worth taking after all.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Lantern
http://www.thelantern.com/a-e/review...show-1.2877966

Review: Lindsey Buckingham impresses Columbus with one-man show

By Lindsey Barrett
barrett.684@osu.edu, Published: Saturday, June 16, 2012

Before heading back to his home state of California, singer, guitarist and songwriter Lindsey Buckingham made a tour stop in downtown Columbus for a one-man show that while in some ways understated, was no less impressive.

Buckingham performed Saturday at the Southern Theatre and was sponsored by the Wexner Center for the Arts.

There was no opening act for the artist who rose to fame as one-fifth of the band Fleetwood Mac. Nor was there a backup band, fancy lighting, sound effects or any other kind of theatrics.

But Buckingham didn’t need any of it.

With just his amps behind him, and joined onstage only by a guitar technician in between songs to switch guitars, 62-year-old Buckingham sang and played guitar for 80 minutes to a crowd of about 900 people. He performed more than a half dozen songs drawn from both his solo albums and those associated with Fleetwood Mac.

While the concert was a sit-down affair, the audience could hardly be contained in their seats. They gave Buckingham a standing ovation after each song and some stood to dance and sing along throughout the show. Buckingham rewarded his impassioned and devoted followers with three encores, which included two songs from his newest album “Seeds We Sow,” “Rock Away Blind” and the album’s title track.

Throughout the concert, and often throughout each individual song, Buckingham showcased his vocal range. Some lyrics he belted out, while others he sang as near whispers.

Buckingham sang a solo version of “Big Love,” a song that originally appeared on Fleetwood Mac’s 1987 album “Tango in the Night.” Buckingham said lyrics such as “I wake up alone with it all / I wake up but only to fall / Looking out for love / Big, big love,” once expressed his reluctance to love again after his breakup with bandmate Stevie Nicks. The song, which he said reminds him of the peace he has since found in life, was one of the more upbeat songs.

He performed a rendition of “Go Insane,” from a 1984 solo album of the same name. The song became more melancholic in the quieter, slowed delivery of lines such as “Two kinds of people in this world / Winners … losers / I lost my power in this world / Cause I did not use it / So I go insane / Like I always do / And I call your name / She's a lot like you.” The changes added a vulnerability to the song that the original fast-paced album version lacks.

Buckingham performed “Never Going Back Again” and crowd-favorite “Go Your Own Way” from Fleetwood Mac’s 1977 “Rumours,” which reportedly sold more than 40 million copies and landed No. 26 on Rolling Stones’ 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list. Other songs from Fleetwood Mac albums included “Bleed to Love Her” off the 1997 “The Dance” and “Come” from the 2003 album “Say You Will."

But if there was one shining moment of the night, it was Buckingham’s solo guitar performance in “I’m So Afraid,” off the 1975 album “Fleetwood Mac,” the first album he and Nicks made with the band. Rolling Stone ranks Buckingham as one of the 100 best guitarists, and the solo left little question as to why.

Buckingham seemed to put everything he had into the more than five-minute guitar solo, and the audience couldn’t get enough. Audience members closest to the stage on either side reached up to touch Buckingham’s guitar, to be a part of the magic Buckingham seemed to be creating before their eyes.

The guitar solo was stunning, leaving some people bowing to Buckingham by the song’s end. While such a gesture may have seemed overstated, even ridiculous, in most other situations, it somehow seemed completely warranted and deserved in this one.

Buckingham proved Saturday night that, alone on stage with a guitar in hand and the more folksy sounds of Fleetwood Mac with the more modern songs of his solo career, he had all he needed to entertain the crowd.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Washington DC show review

http://cosmosgaming.com/articles.php...letype=feature

Music: Lindsey Buckingham at the Howard Theatre

Our Take

I can't remember how long it has been since I last went to a seated show, but it is always nice to be able to sit and be able to focus entirely on what is happening onstage. This time around I was seeing Lindsey Buckingham, who most people are familiar with from his work with Fleetwood Mac. But Buckingham has also established himself as a talented solo artist capable of creating interesting material without the assistance of a full band. His progression has taken numerous steps, first touring with a large crew of backing musicians and on this most recent set of dates opting to perform without any support. His set at the Howard Theatre in Washington D.C. lasted for about an hour and fifteen minutes after a two song encore, and while this may have been one of the first times he was letting his guitar and vocal work stand on its own Buckingham showcased that he was well prepared.

Buckingham took the stage without a word and immediately began playing, going through some familiar material that filled the theatre with melody. The earlier numbers were some of his mellower tracks, and being up close it was easy to observe the way that Lindsey was playing his instrument and how it resulted in the breathtaking sounds. After a few songs he finally addressed the audience, talking about the difference between the "big machine" (Fleetwood Mac) and the "small machine" (his solo work) and how he had finally struck a true balance between the two. This was evident not just from what he was saying, but from his overall stage presence for the entire performance. One element that impressed me was the number of guitars being utilized throughout, as a guitar tech was on hand at the side of the stage switching off instruments for Lindsey on every song and I don't think that there were very many songs in a row that used the same guitar. For those who might be wondering, even though he may be 62 Lindsey Buckingham doesn't sound as though he has aged at all and he was still able to reach some higher ranges that I didn't know he was still capable of doing. This was most evident during some of the Fleetwood Mac songs that were performed when the guitar and vocal work soared to a much louder volume than you would have expected from a show of this nature. Although the focus was put on Buckingham's solo work, he did slip in more Fleetwood Mac tracks into the set than I predicted and this fit what he was talking about earlier in the show about finding a balance between the two. The performance lasted for about an hour with very little time in between songs, as aside from the opening statement the audience was only addressed a few more times which gave time for more material to be played. A two song encore brought the total time up to about 75 minutes or so, and it felt appropriate that the show ended with "Seeds We Sow", which is the title track from Buckingham's last solo album.

Solo performances can be hit or miss, as when the audience is focusing entirely on one person's contributions they have to be able to play flawlessly while also keeping everyone's attention. But Lindsey Buckingham's clearly still got it as his performance was technically proficient (and I noticed that he helped keep himself in time with a metronome counting off before many of the songs just to be sure) and the songs had so much energy that the audience seemed to be hanging on every note. Whether you're overly familiar with his solo efforts or just like Fleetwood Mac, Buckingham's solo tour is worth experiencing as he has proven himself to be more than capable outside of the confines of a large band.

Chris Dahlberg
June 16, 2012