Old 04-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Star Ledger, April 4, 2008

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/musi...ne_bright.html

SOLO SECOND WIND

"Live at Bass Performance

Hall"

Lindsey Buckingham (Reprise CD/DVD)

Lindsey Buckingham, at 58, has gotten a second wind. Since subsuming solo songs into Fleetwood Mac's 2003 "Say You Will" album, the singer-guitarist has released the live "Soundstage" DVD and the introspective studio disc "Under the Skin." This new live CD/DVD package documents a 2007 show, with the seemingly ageless Buckingham playing solo and with a backing trio.

These performances are a shade more self-conscious than on the "Soundstage" DVD, but that release's highlights are also gems here - riveting solo versions of "Trouble," "Big Love" and "Go Insane." What's new to this set are rollicking group renditions of "Holiday Road" and "I Know I'm Not Wrong" (from "Tusk"). The DVD also includes the hour-long documentary "It's Not Too Late," simultaneously a diary, a manifesto and music video.

It's ultra-artsy in a homemade way, but Buckingham at least isn't coasting on his classic-rock past.

Download this: "Big Love"

- Bradley Bambarger
Old 04-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Ledgie

Default OOTC tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
No, there was just one. Michele
Thanks Michele, not just for this answer, but for all the others as well. And I thought I knew a lot about Lindsey! It is great to have so many contacts who share an appreciation for him.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tampa Bay weighs in:

http://blogs.tampabay.com/popmusic/2...-long-way.html

"It's a Long Way Down the Holiday Road"

Curious convergence of events going on here at Pop Life. I just received the new Lindsey Buckingham live CD/DVD, Live at the Bass Performance Hall, which is mind-blowingly faboo. Seriously, it rocks almighty. That guy might be the most underrated guitar player in the pop pantheon. His baroque reworkings of Trouble and Go Insane are iTunes-worthy and then some. He also tosses in a robust version of Holiday Road, the rollickin' theme from National Lampoon's Vacation, at the tail end of the set (yep, complete with dog barks).

Oddly enough, Steve Spears and I just recorded a raucous, Coppertone-slathered podcast about "Spring Break in the '80s," including the movies, memories and songs associated with hitting the road for rest, relaxation and demoralizing moments in tropical climes. (The show should launch in a day or two.) Anyway, one of the songs we played was Holiday Road, which I'm proud to say I also own on vinyl. Anyway, here ya go, a little Lindsey to brighten your day...or your road trip.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Performing Songwriter
May 2008
(Neil Diamond on cover)

p.32 DVD Review - there is a picture of the album cover

Lindsey Buckingham - Live at the Bass Performance Hall

Taped in January 2007 in Fort Worth, Texas, this live performance from Lindsey Buckingham is a "concert" in the old-school sense of the word. Dispensing with stage props and featuring minimal between-song patter, Buckingham runs through a mix of back-catalog solo material, Fleetwood Mac hits and songs from his most recent album, Under the Skin. The ambiance is less that of a rock show than something akin to a classical piano performance.

Whether that no-frills approach is good or bad depends on one's tastes, but there's no denying the dazzling skills with which Buckingham brings these songs to life. While the set isn't entirely "unplugged", it's Buckingham's unique finger-picking - played mostly on acoustic guitar - that drives the bulk of the material. Tracks such as "Show You How" and "Big Love" showcase his six-string prowess in all it's glory, even as Buckingham never succumbs to virtuosity for its own sake. No matter how sparkling the execution, the songs remain paramount.

Other high points include a stately rendition of Fleetwood Mac's "Second Hand News" and rollicking, rockabilly-tinged versions of the solo tracks "I Know I'm Not Wrong" and "Holiday Road." Fleshing out the DVD is a 45-minute "home" documentary, wherein an otherwise upbeat Buckingham laments the deterioration of the emphasis on artistry within the music industry. Also available is an expanded package that includes an audio CD with the same track listing (sans "Tusk") as the DVD. -RH

---

two things... i don't know how much "Show You How" shows off six-string prowess or virtuosity. i love SYH, but it's probably the simplest thing he's ever played. and also, "I Know I'm Not Wrong" is not a solo track.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I told Netflix I wanted a copy to watch, & they reported it will be a "LONG WAIT."

I got angry for a minute, but then realized, "Well, It's Lindsey, after all."

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ah, David . . .

I vacillate between being eager for your review and being afraid of it.

Michele
Old 04-14-2008, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
No matter how sparkling the execution, the songs remain paramount.

Can someone xplain what this means? I hope it's not that the songs were written as if he was movie-making.

No really, I don't understand this expression.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Can someone xplain what this means?
In other words, no matter how impressive his playing may be, it never overshadows the importance of the song itself.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
In other words, no matter how impressive his playing may be, it never overshadows the importance of the song itself.
Thanks Johnny, That is actually maybe the greatest compliment I've ever read about him, and that short sentence sums up my fandom. He always puts the song above his playing, which is - imo - the main reason why he'll never be on the greatest guitarists-lists.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
Thanks Johnny, That is actually maybe the greatest compliment I've ever read about him, and that short sentence sums up my fandom. He always puts the song above his playing, which is - imo - the main reason why he'll never be on the greatest guitarists-lists.
That's definitely the "problem" of why he's so often overlooked and underrated. The Steve Vais and Eddie Van Halens of the world get attention because of their guitar theatrics. And not that those guys aren't talented -- they certainly are -- but when you play to benefit the song, as LB does, and not just to get your audience's rocks off, your skills tend to go more unnoticed.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/04/16/002140.php

Quote:
Written by Donald Gibson
Published April 16, 2008

Lindsey Buckingham acquired a reputation over the years as that of a meticulous, often-eccentric musician and producer, one known for spending inordinate amounts of time painstakingly crafting albums until their fruition. And while his scrupulous talents certainly facilitated much of Fleetwood Mac’s greatest success, such hasn’t been the case for his infrequent solo endeavors. As Buckingham demonstrated on his superb 2006 release, Under The Skin, though, commercial success doesn’t necessarily equate with excellence.

On the road in support of the album, he treated audiences to the fruits of his labor with songs culled from both sides of his career. Live At The Bass Performance Hall, recorded in January 2007, captures the spirit of that magnificent tour.

Buckingham thrives in the intimate setting, the ruminative tone of his newer material casting an entrancing and illusory pall over much of the performance. His finger-picking style of guitar playing sustains the delicate melodies of “Not Too Late” and ”Shut Us Down” while, on “It Was You” and “Castaway Dreams,” beguiling harmonies and echoes abound.

He rearranges some older solo tracks to reflect the prevailing, pensive mood as well. Most strikingly, he strips “Go Insane” and “Trouble” of their original vim and pop gloss until they sound like harrowing confessions.

Not surprisingly yet sensational nonetheless, Buckingham delivers some of his finest, most animated moments when drawing from his catalog with Fleetwood Mac. On “Big Love” and “Never Going Back Again,” he sings with fervid intensity while further demonstrating his dexterity on the acoustic guitar. With an electric guitar in tow, he tackles “Second Hand News” and “Go Your Own Way” with rigorous enthusiasm. And he burns through a nine-minute version of “I’m So Afraid,” capping it off with a smoldering solo.

One final impression of this album – aside from the intrinsic merits of the performance – is that, for all the time and effort that he originally spent composing these songs, Lindsey Buckingham makes it all seem worthwhile. Live At The Bass Performance Hall will accordingly reward listeners for their consideration.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 04-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

St. Petersburg Times, April 13, 2008

Lindsey Buckingham

Album: Live at the Bass Performance Hall (Reprise)

In stores: Now

Why we care: The Fleetwood Mac picker and upholder of the SoCal sound is the most underrated guitarist in the pop pantheon. (Discuss.) His baroque flurries on this CD/DVD set sound like the work of five players, and the 58-year-old's gift for stuck-in-yer-head hooks is menacing.

Why we like it: There has never been a Buckingham hits collection, so this does the trick just fine. His reworkings of such solo goodies as Trouble and Go Insane are positively faboo, and the cross-current harmonies on Cast Away Dreams and It Was You were made for late-night headphone listening.

Reminds us of: "Loving you / Isn't the right thing to do..." There, now it's stuck in yours, too.

Download these: Trouble and Holiday Road

Grade: A
Old 04-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Seattle Post Intelligencer

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/pop/35...aycd19two.html

Listen Up: 'Live at the Bass Performance Hall' by Lindsey Buckingham
The Fleetwood Mac picker and upholder of the SoCal sound is the most underrated guitarist in the pop pantheon. (Discuss.) His baroque flurries on this CD/DVD set sound like the work of five players, and the 58-year-old's gift for stuck-in-yerhead hooks is menacing. There has never been a Buckingham hits collection, so this does the trick just fine. His reworkings of such solo goodies as "Trouble" and "Go Insane" are positively faboo, and the crosscurrent harmonies on "Cast Away Dreams" and "It Was You" were made for late-night headphone listening.