Show: VH1 Storytellers
Episode: (#032) Stevie Nicks
Network: (VH1C) VH1 Classic
Date: Friday - August 27, 2004
Time: 09:00 pm - 10:00 pm ET

Featured Artists
Stevie Nicks
About: (#032) Stevie Nicks
Stevie Nicks performs: "Dreams", "Landslide", "Stand Back", "Rhiannon", "After The Glitter Fades", "Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You" and "Edge Of Seventeen".
About VH1 Storytellers
VH1 Storytellers presents a wide variety of musicians in the kind of intimate setting that can't be found at a concert, getting behind the public image to reveal another side of the artists as they tell the real stories behind rock's most memorable songs with wit, humor, emotion and honesty.
About VH1C: VH1 Classic
Launched in May 2000, VH1 Classic is a 24-hour network that presents music videos, concerts and music specials featuring classic rock, soul and pop artists from the 60s, 70s and 80s. Featured artists include The Stones, Tina Turner, Led Zeppelin, Marvin Gaye, The Who, Stevie Wonder, The Police and many more.

Tina
Old 08-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish I had VH1 Classic...
Old 08-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy Storytellers

I never understood why this concert was never released on DVD. It was right on the heels of the box set, which went gold (exceeding everyone's expectations). I'm sure this concert could have sold equally as well. Seems like it was a missed opportunity.

Did anyone here attend the taping? Did she perform the entire set, or just an abbreviated one?
Old 08-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure about the set list - but I remember someone who used to post here, or maybe still does, was the one who asked her about the Blue Lamp!
Old 08-27-2004, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia
I'm not sure about the set list - but I remember someone who used to post here, or maybe still does, was the one who asked her about the Blue Lamp!
Omigod, I have that on tape and i totally remember who you're talking about! I want to know who it is if he posts here!
Amber

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 08-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote
Did she perform the entire set, or just an abbreviated one?

There's an unedited bootleg of the taping. It has each song that was aired (sung twice), Gold Dust Woman, Sleeping Angel, Rose Garden, Garbo, and the Sara snippet. The unedited question session is also included.

-Curt
Old 08-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default reply

I have this tape and its a classic. You get to hear some gems.

After the Glitter Fades- Really nice to hear something off Bella Donna

Stand Back- SHE IS GROOVIN

Rhiannon- DOes it on piano.

Incredible performance

Jimmy
Old 08-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw it for the first time last night. I loved the intimate setting and she seemed so laid back. Everything she performed was wonderful, and I even liked the piano Rhiannon, though I thought she could've ventured a bit. She sat and repeated the same phase in the same octave a hundred times. You still have to give her credit...it was her first time. HAEWAFY was beautiful too with the story included.

My one question is, what did she have on her forehead? Some kind of glitter?

Shamus

Last edited by ShamHy89; 08-28-2004 at 10:25 AM..
Old 08-28-2004, 10:45 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyNote
I never understood why this concert was never released on DVD. It was right on the heels of the box set, which went gold (exceeding everyone's expectations). I'm sure this concert could have sold equally as well. Seems like it was a missed opportunity.
You never know... Sarah McLachlan's Storytellers came out on DVD earlier this year, and it was recorded in 1997!
Old 08-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Junior Ledgie

Default anyone have?

Anyone happen to tape the showing last night? I totally forgot it was Friday and thought it was Saturday. I'd love to send a blank vid for a copy. I would like to convert it to DVD for my own purpose and possibly to share in the community.

Thanks a mill,
Josh
Old 12-31-2017, 12:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheEdgeof17 View Post
There's an unedited bootleg of the taping. It has each song that was aired (sung twice), Gold Dust Woman, Sleeping Angel, Rose Garden, Garbo, and the Sara snippet. The unedited question session is also included.

-Curt
This sounds amazing but is hard to find. Would anyone be willing to sell/trade a copy of the unedited Storytellers?
Old 11-10-2023, 03:27 AM
Senior Ledgie

So it's been a while since anyone's talked about "Storytellers."

I happened to recently get "Billy Idol Storytellers," which I didn't even know was on DVD, and really liked it. It included 8 songs that never made the version broadcast on TV, so all in all it was about 1 hour forty-some minutes. Really good performance.

It reminded me I had Stevie's broadcast version which I recorded on VHS (oh the VCR days) and transferred to DVD and I pulled it out tonight and gave it a watch. First thing that struck me was how good she was voice-wise. Aside from the piano version of "Rhiannon" (which I've never cared for...neither here or on the "Enchanted" box set), she was at the top of her game. Never was a huge fan of HAEWAFY, but I definitely dug the "Storytellers" version. Secondly, I chuckled out loud when she tells the audience how she's going to ease into the whole talking thing about her songs, as though it was something she never really did and wasn't used to, which I found funny considering how the "talking thing" these days has become such a grating, eye-rolling experience. But for "Storytellers" she was actually quite engaging and, dare I say, she had a genuineness (humor, even) that in my opinion has sadly faded from her.

Like others have previously mentioned, I can't understand why this was never released commercially, both as a DVD and CD. The performance happened on the heels of Fleetwood Mac's huge resurgence with "The Dance." You'd think a DVD/CD release would be no-brainer. And it's not like VH1 wasn't releasing other "Storyteller" performances (DVDs include matchbox twenty, Alicia Keys, Dixie Chicks; CDs include Meatloaf and Ringo Starr). Makes no sense to me. I see mention of a bootleg version, but I've yet to find it. But I can't help but wonder, after watching Billy Idol's, what songs would have been included on a DVD had it been released that didn't air on TV. Does anyone know what the full set list was?

Anyway, as someone whose fandom for Stevie has sadly waned somewhat in recent years like many other posters on this forum, it was nice to go back and experience this show and feel a little bit of that thing that made me at one time such an ardent fan of hers.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the reminder about this show! I always especially enjoyed her rendition of “After the Glitter Fades” from this set. She sounded really good (aside from a few strained notes in the first couple lines), and it’s a song not heard live much before or since. Beautiful piano solo too.
Old 11-10-2023, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Sigh....'97-'98 Stevie was the Stevie that initially made me a huge fan. That kind of understated, soft-spoken, but could be really funny and not super ego-driven...It was so refreshing and completely different compared to all of the Boy Bands and the entire 90's pop music scene at that time. That era of Stevie slowly eroded away and was mostly gone by 2004-2005.

I remember listening to bootleg recordings of the Enchanted Tour on cassette. Wow. It didn't matter how crappy the recording could be, some of those performances were amazing. Her voice had this elastic quality, well before the "shouting" approach she's slowly evolved into over the years.

There is/was an unedited version of Storytellers that I haven't seen in years. The screen is divided up into 4 quadrants with a different camera angle in each. If my memory is correct the quality was pretty grainy and the audio had a lot of static. It was great to see and hear all of the unreleased parts.

Last edited by BigAl84; 11-10-2023 at 09:33 AM..
Old 11-10-2023, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I saw Stevie 3 times in 98. For the 2nd show I was over the moon when I got to hold her hand during the edge walk. All the shows were great and different because of the venues where I saw them. The Storytellers aired shortly after the shows I went to and I was shocked how bad the show was. The performance on Storytellers was like she was on sedatives. No energy at all and nothing like the performances I had just attended. I know that watching performances on TV can't compare to actual shows, but the difference was so vast I had a hard time watching it. Completely dull and like 2 different people performing. Most of the stories she told on show she had already told many times. I guess she was telling them for the masses.

The other thing I noticed is that on the broadcast she has a dark line under her eyes that also crosses over her nose that I think looks really bad. Seems like some makeup could've have covered that up. My thought was she had some surgery to repair the hole in her nose from the 80s but who knows. I had never noticed that before and thought she look bad on the show. Actually I thought her appearance on the Sheryl Crow episode around the same time was much better.

I'm not here to hate on Stevie, but to give my honest review on the show. Obviously if I went to see her 3 times and loved all the shows I was a big fan, but the Storytellers episode was a shocking dud to me.