User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post

^^^ or 4 posts above, not just the small excerpt above, but all of it was great to read, Hejira. 'Eynam Pkutoh' especially sounds really worth investing the time in to watch. I still have not seen 'Brokeback Mountain' but this sounds like it could be more socially and culturally rewarding than 'BM' which I'd heard enough about from people I respected to know I wasn't going to feel uplifted by watching a negative depiction of what could have been a positive, life-affirming film. I was curious to see the peformances in it, which I'm sure are excellent but I knew the story's outcome, and didn't want to support the film's ulitmately negative premise, though I know the director is brilliant. 'Eyes Wide Open' (easier to type) seems like it will be more of something I'd enjoy, then another account of a gay guy destined for promiscuity and death or hiding behind a wife while really in love with a man.
Well, if you're looking for something "uplifting," "Eyes Wide Open" is not that movie. It is brutally frank in its depiction of the orthodox society, but it does raise some interesting philosophical questions about the role of man on earth and whether it is his prerogative to indulge in earthly pleasures per the Jewish Code. Maybe it's because of living in NYC and knowing lots of Jewish people throughout my life, but I have always found the Jewish customs/traditions to be incredibly fascinating and enigmatic. As such, this movie was just as much a cultural odyssey for me as well as a tale of forbidden love. And forbidden love is forbidden love- whether gay or straight. And we all know how these kinds of stories end...

The trailer is a little bit sensationalized compared to the understated, langorous, moody tone of the movie, but you get the gist...

Quote:
Hmm, guess I figured out why I haven't seen it!
"More Tales" --as you wrote, really couldn't compare to the first 'Tales of The City'- the grandmother brothel owner was kind of too painfully homely to ever really let your eyes not hurt watching her, though her acting was fine, she was just too freaky. The second actor to play 'Bear' -in 'More Tales' - was likeable enough, I guess, but the actor in the first 'Tales' really seemed to be missed, by everyone I knew and in every review I read, at the time.
What stands out now,besides how Laura Linney showed such ripe talent so long before she went mainstream and had the Oscar nominations, is how brave it was of Thomas Gibson to take on some of the male-on-male scenes he played as the bisexual married to a woman man. I respect his talent even more now, because there was no 'Harry Hamlin stigma' for him afterwards. He just has worked steadily ever since 'Tales,' refusing to believe or accept that portraying homosexual or bisexual or, really, maybe just a homo-erotic character should leave him unemployable for long stretches. He's remained a working actor ever since. Hamlin had a promising film career way, way back (I remember 'King of The Mountain' fondly, but vaguely) then along came 'Making Love' and there went his film career.
I don't think Thomas Gibson was exactly a household name back then either, so I'm not sure if one could call him "brave" for taking on the Beauchamp Day role; any struggling actor would have jumped at the chance. And it's not like he was humping every man walking by- he was "straight" for 95% of the series and wasn't even shown actively doing it with a guy. And as for Harry Hamlin, I think he faded into obscurity for two reasons- he couldn't act for sh*t and his looks hit the wall very rapidly and suddenly about 15 years ago. Nobody from LA Law has gone on to any major success, with maybe the exception of Blair Underwood, who continues to get lots of work (and he sold his soul to the devil or something because he looks exactly the same as he did over 20 years ago).

Quote:
I liked the 'Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman' references in 'Tales Of The City', too.
To me, 'MHMH' is an example of television that is on the level of 'Tales'-- Youtube has a clip of Louise Lasser in what Norman Lear called 'the greatest performance ever given by an actress in the history of television'-- its a very long scene where 'Mary' has a nervous breakdown while on The David Susskind Show, and by the end of the clip, it does seem that Lasser took television acting to an entirely new level- she's brilliant. That very episode isn't even available on DVD, and there doesn't seem to be any followup dvd releases beyond the MHMH dvd that's been out for years .
Suddenly feeling nostalgic for the 7os, between 'Tales Of The City' and 'MHMH.'
Will track down the movie of the Israeli duo Hejira mentioned. It sounds promising, even if one of the guys is married. It happens.
I will have to check out Mary Hartman on youtube! I think I was just a little bit too young to really understand that show back when it was on. I remember thinking it was really weird and boring. I suspect I would totally love it now.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, after the Lord Voldemort twitter account kept posting things like -

I can't stop watching Mean Girls. It's such a brilliant movie, it does everything right. I think it's Lindsey Lohan's ONLY good movie. It's so totally quotable too.

That is so fetch.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I will have to check out Mary Hartman on youtube!
Its an incredible show. A crime that all the episodes aren't out on DVD.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:22 AM
Supporting Ledgie

"Boy" - a NZ film... absolutely fantastic.

Jackie Brown - still a great movie

and

Mary & Max... very wacky
Old 10-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post

Mary & Max... very wacky
I saw that recently too! I think it's the first animated Asperger's character ever!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
I saw that recently too! I think it's the first animated Asperger's character ever!
Droopy Dog.
Old 10-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA View Post
Droopy Dog.
Ah... perhaps... but Droopy was not diagnosed as such officially. I would say he was more likely experiencing the negative symptoms of schizophrenia, in particular, lack of motivation, anhedonia, apathy and flat affect.

BTW, Max was actually diagnosed with Aspergers in the movie.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Finally!!!

ELVIS ON TOUR BLU RAY

I saw this when I was a child on TV, had the VHS & Laser Disc.
But now finally I have it on Blu ray, and it's awesome. Even
though WB tried to sabotage it by substituting "Don't Be Cruel"
over "Johnny B. Goode" over the opening credits. $$$ talks or
$$$ walks (walks in this case). But other than that the sound is
great and the video is good considering it was filmed in 16mm.
Buy it, and then crank it up. Elvis is in the house.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I've seen a lot of movies lately, but I just watched Neverwas, and truly enjoyed it. It was really a sweet little movie... in my eyes it hearkened back to a time of simpler moviemaking and storytelling. There was no sex or violence, it was just a story about human compassion. I just found the entire experience of watching this one to be so refreshing.
Old 10-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

The First Men In The Moon

Adaptation of HG Well's science fiction classic. As the Apollo Astronaughts are set to land on the Moon in 1969, and old Man tells of how he and a Professor were first there in 1909. A made for TV movie that promises what it delivers with the expected quality (or lack thereof) of a Television Show.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

How To Train Your Dragon - cute and great looking on blu-ray.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:53 PM
Supporting Ledgie

Legion... Whew boy, what a stinker!

World's Greatest Dad (Robin Williams)... Surprised me actually...

Old Boy... A graphic and shockingly entertaining revenge tale

Chaplin... Robert Downey Jr was fab

Robin Hood... Not really much better than the Kevin Costner one. Ridley Scott kinda disappoints here.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This week for DVD's.. hmm..

I think all I watched was Roseanne Season 8, and Talladega Nights!

Oh yeah, and DESTINY RULES.
a-maz-ing
Old 11-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Human Centipede - all I can say is why, why, why?
Old 11-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

MEGAMIND - I'm a sucker for kids movies that don't involve talking animals, and I really enjoyed this one! Cliche plot, but great casting with Will Ferrell and Brad Pitt. Definitely worth watching if you are a fan of the genre.