The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Peter Green
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Junior Ledgie

Wow, Danny was some seriously talented guy, no way PG could compete with that...
Old 01-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsonP View Post

Wow, Danny was some seriously talented guy, no way PG could compete with that...
Whoa, I must check out the soundtrack to the cheesy Clint Eastwood movie.
I take your word for it, Daniel.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Never said he couldn't play. He was jamming like a firebrand right thru End Of The Game. But sorry to bust precious bubbles, his mind had already taken a hit into '69. What do you think most of his TPO songs were cast from? The beginning of the unraveling - and Peter was aware of it, at least partially, you can hear the anguish and frustration clearly setting in. It makes for much of the dark and even intriguing pastel that TPO is. It only got worse into 1970 and beyond, but the heavy drug indulgence went back earlier, with LSD entering the picture with the band's introduction to the Dead and Bear while on tour stateside. [There is even a connection to the Mac riding shotgun in their signature anthem Truckin']. He wasn't the pillar he once was in the studio by TPO either. Thought you boys knew more about the Green God than you're letting onto.

PS. Be careful in taking Mick's word or recollections on all things Mac as gospel truth. At times it's a convenient menagerie of how he chooses to paint or revisit the past, subject to the tricks of time and space. Fleetwood has always been selective (look no further than who he deems selectively "worthy" of HOF consideration), and there are clearly some faulty memory spikes in the works. We all have 'em to some extent, so I don't fault him completely as he is often put under the spotlight in that regard, and what he shoots from the hip a lot of times ends up in print - without the ability to edit thereafter. Green was kind to turn the amount of weight he did to Kirwan for the TPO project as Mick suggests, but he also had little choice by then, not if he wanted to complete that project with any realistic hopes of meeting the production budgets and certain contractual deadlines. Peter also didn't go south at Munich "just like that" [with the snap of his fingers] as Mick conveniently contends, that affair was a long time in the making. If you don't know that by now, you need to start digging for better answers.

I'd suggest being cognizant about pointing fingers on "obsessing" here too. I see lots of shades of green in this forum in that regard. A good percentage of its borders on blind faith, from folks who don't even trail back to those turbulent days, and now hope to glimpse that haze and whirlwind with the clarity of psychics.

EDIT: Good points made by Evan, but sadly Peter had overplayed his hand on the substance end of things while fronting the Mac, and there's no way to turn back the clock once your cup fill'eth and overflows in that regard.

Last edited by snoot; 01-21-2009 at 05:13 PM..
Old 01-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
If you don't know that by now, you need start digging for better answers.
But where should we start digging, folks? ...other than listening to Snoot's intelligent lectures. Where can we read more about this?

I've asked Snoot himself this question a number of times, but it has only been answered by his own assuring words. Perhaps he has a nice little hole where we can all dig together?

Here's a new theory: Someone ....s-o-m-e-o-n-e ..... here.... longtime Mac fan .. heard that Peter Green was forming a new band again..... someone... made a call ... and showed up................................
but didn't pass the audition!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
But where should we start digging, folks? ...other than listening to Snoot's intelligent lectures. Where can we read more about this?
I've given you a lot to chew I admit (maybe too much to digest?), but if the chicks don't want to listen to the hen...

If you'd stop acting like a kid and get off yer whimsical butt, you'd no doubt figure it out. Consider yourself lucky yours truly showed up with more than just obsessive praise and lickspittle panting for master Greenie. You're only the wiser for it, or are you? Hmmm ... nah. There's this thing about leading horses to water. ..

No more with you on this Daniel, I've said enough. "Evil" one OUT.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
I've given you a lot to chew I admit (maybe too much to digest?), but if the chicks don't want to listen to the hen...

If you'd stop acting like a kid and get off yer whimsical butt, you'd no doubt figure it out. Consider yourself lucky yours truly showed up with more than just obsessive praise and lickspittle panting for master Greenie. You're only the wiser for it, or are you? Hmmm ... nah. There's this thing about leading horses to water. ..

No more with you on this Daniel, I've said enough. "Evil" one OUT.
Yeah, I guess it's the end.. because you never got off YOUR whimsical butt and gave us other references to this. That's the only thing I've asked for all the way!

Last edited by dansven; 01-22-2009 at 08:55 PM..
Old 01-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Damn straight, 'dansven' had the ammo that a kid that was born just under one year after PG left FM didn't!! Thank you 'dansven'!
(...)
For dansven, is the Toe Fat material still available? I know the Memphis Slim album is.
Haha, thanks again slipkid!

The album is called Toe Fat Two and is still available at Amazon. It was reissued in 2001 by the mighty Repertiore label. I have a twofer from 1996 with Toe Fat "One" and "Two". Peter plays great guitar on 2 tracks on "Two".

The Memphis Slim album is available on CD from two different labels: One from Wounded Bird Records (the original album), and one from Universal Music France/Sunnyside Communication (the original album + 2 bonus studio outtakes feat. Green).

Hope you get hold of those albums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Yep, that Kirwan obsession is annoying. He was great, but why to try pit him against Greeny? He was a pupil, a kid, in awe of Peter.
I'll say: Just from listening evidence (oh, maybe CIA doctored the live tapes :), Greeny was on fire to the end of his tenure with Mac. Listen to the Boston Tea tapes, listen to the London gig from April 1970 (AFTER Munich, remember).
It's frighteningly imaginative playing. The fact that Danny has lots of space on Then Play On was more a case of generosity on somone's part than burn-out. How many guitar heroes give over half their new album to a protegée? Danny's songs are fine, but immature. He wrote far better material for Kiln House, Future Games and Bare Trees. His disctinctive vibrato can be heard on his own songs, Oh Well and the Madge jams. The Madge jams are a good example for those who have trouble telling the styles apart. Not pointing any fingers, of course
Thanks for the support, Dino!
We could make jokes about this topic. But you are indeed saying wise words here! The Boston recordings are proof.. marvellous playing from Peter!!!
"He was great, but why to try pit him against Greeny? He was a pupil, a kid, in awe of Peter." -- Totally agree!! It's just a stupid and pointless discussion really, that I don't think belongs on any Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac forum.