User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Did you ever think.....

For anyone who has been a fan for awhile.....Way back when you first started liking Fleetwood Mac, did you ever think you'd still be a fan/talking about them/seeing them in concert/awaiting new albums....all the way into 2010??
Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Not at all, I had bought Say You Will on a whim back in 2003 and mildly enjoyed it. I would have never imagined I would still be listening to them, let alone a die hard fan
Old 02-09-2010, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Good question!

I have been a fan since 1977. After some of the solo albums were released in the early 80's I had some doubt.Then after Tango came out and Lindsey left and all the back and forth between Buckingham and Nicks I really didn't think I would see that line up ever again. Then comes the Dance and all of it seemed to work out. When I look back I'm glad I have all the solo work, the many Mac line ups of music. I only wish they could of produced more work.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think any of us really had any idea how long rockers were supposed to continue rocking. If you think about it, we still have yet to determine conclusively when exactly rockers are supposed to retire. The most successful acts from the earliest phases of the rock era are still actively working today- Rolling Stones, the Who, Paul McCartney, etc. When I was a kid, I assumed people would start retiring after the age of 50, and then become incontinent and wheeling around a nursing home by the age of 60. I used to think the Rolling Stones were way too old to be rock stars... way back when Mick was in his late 30's! I guess we have to thank personal trainers, vitamins and modern medicine for enabling these altacockers to still prance around the stage.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I first became a fan, I think I assumed that it would be forever, but then after Lindsey left in 1987 I thought it was over for good. I guess I thought they would continue in some form because I used to watch talk shows where the regular guests had all been in the business for 30 or 40 years. So, even though rockers lead more physically strenuous lives than actors, comedians, and crooners, I always assumed they'd exist indefinitely, until the Tango thing happened.

After that, I got my hopes up after Bill Clinton and then was almost unbearably frenzied about what Twisted could foreshadow, but I didn't start thinking that Fleetwood Mac would really continue until The Dance. That was so successful that I thought the whole thing was starting over again. I honestly felt like it was 1977 and there'd be more tours, more records. If anything, I'm surprised there's been so little since 1997, surprise Christine left and stayed gone. I'm more surprised that what has ended than I am over what goes on.

Michele
Old 02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I did not become a fan until a friend recommended Rumours and Tusk as essential American albums. Wow. I'll never forget it. Anyway... so I kinda dove into the back catalogue and into the history, honestly thinking that there would be no new material (and I wasn't yet interested in Stevie's solo work). I ultimately got Say You Will so I could find out how the whole thing turned out . . . and I didn't much care for it on first listen. Put it aside only to have songs popping up on my Live In Boston or playing randomly and I'd be like: Oh, that's a GOOD song... so I returned the album and unexpectedly fell in love with it. Anyway, so I thought that was an honorable ending. Then, randomly lookin up new music Tuesday I discover that Under the Skin dropped that day. I was like: WUT!? And it's been surprisingly active since then, if not in the way I would like: new material, Stevie! // Mac albums, Lindsey & Mick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I honestly felt like it was 1977 and there'd be more tours, more records. If anything, I'm surprised there's been so little since 1997, surprise Christine left and stayed gone. I'm more surprised that what has ended than I am over what goes on.
From my perspective (described above) I'm surprised by what has gone on, but your surprise meets my disappointment.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
For anyone who has been a fan for awhile.....Way back when you first started liking Fleetwood Mac, did you ever think you'd still be a fan/talking about them/seeing them in concert/awaiting new albums....all the way into 2010??
I first heard Rhiannon when it was released, I was six years old. I became an instant fan, along with the rest of the world basically. It was played all the time, on every station, and in my house constantly. I grew up listening to music from the 60's and 70's. Fleetwood Mac was just one of the many bands, but Fleetwood Mac was always my favorite, even at 6 years old. But did I know my love for the Mac would bring me to 2010, still a fan? I can honestly say, Yes. I love them that much. They have gone through many changes, but that is what life is about. I am glad for their music and all the pleasure it has given me through the years. Anything from this day forward is just a gift from them that I am grateful to receive.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't think they'd even stay together after Peter Green left back in '70, much less go through all the personnel changes after that.

As far as still being a fan in 2010...hell, I didn't think I'd even still be ALIVE in 2010, much less be a fan of ANY band.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

For myself, I didn't become a fan until Tango. I was already a fan of LB and SN, it was then that I discovered that they were in a group together. I bought older albums (solo and FM) and discovered I already liked a lot of the songs, just didn't know who they were by. When it was announced that Lindsey was leaving, I just felt like 'How could this happen!!'. I guess some people would have stopped being fans then, but I stuck with it. Like Michele said, the inauguration gave me a little hope that they would get together again, 'Twisted' also brought hope. Then, I turn on MTV one day and there's Stevie singing 'Silver Springs' and camera pans over and it's LINDSEY!! A total dream come true! So, if you had asked me in 1987 if I thought I'd still be talking about Fleetwood Mac in 2010, I wouldn't have known what to say. But, if someone had asked in 1997, I would have said 'Well, I'm obviously in this for life'

Last edited by holidayroad; 02-10-2010 at 09:02 AM..
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've never actually been a huge fan of any band so when i was 14 and Fleetwood Mac came into my life i got really hooked. Stevie Nicks was my first concert in 2008 (one of the best weekends of my life= Friday: freshmen year ends, Saturday: 3rd place in my piano recital, Sunday: concert =]). By the time of the concert i knew every song by Stevie,Chris, and Lindsey and I knew most of the old songs from before Stevie and Lindsey.

It really doesn't surprise me that im still a fan because i never stop liking the people who i really get into (Patty Griffin, Tegan and Sara, etc.)
Even when I'm 80 and everyone in FM are dead and gone my kids and my grandkids will know who they are and hopefully they will be fans too because if they are anything like my sister (who only tolerates them because i like them) they will be disowned
Old 02-09-2010, 05:06 PM
Supporting Ledgie

I got into them because of THE DANCE... and I really believed that was going to be the last album. I am totally surprised they're still going.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't say this in my earlier post but I will die a "Fleetwood Mac" fan. The quotes represent everything that makes up Fleetwood Mac. All solo work and All line ups of the band.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by holidayroad View Post
I honestly never thought about 2010 in 1978 when I first became a fan of Fleetwood Mac. I knew I would love them for life because everything I love, I love for life. Some things to a lesser degree, but yet still, for life. There were many, many, many years where I listened to ONLY music by Fleetwood Mac. People used to tell me I should diversify my musical tastes. But I listened to my heart and played what I loved.

I knew I would always go see them in concert if they were playing near where I lived. I was in Los Angeles in August 1977 on Vacation when FM performed there but did not know it. In those days you heard the ads on your local radio stations or saw an ad in the newspaper. Plus I really didn't become a fan until the next summer, but damn, listening to the bootleg of that show, it was a great one.

I was living in the Northeast when Stevie did the Bella Donna Tour and only played the Southwest and I lived in Phoenix when she perfromed on her Timespace Tour and didn't play Phoenix-her hometown. But I was lucky enough to see 3 Wild Heart shows, 5 Rock A Little shows, 2 TOSOTM shows, 1 Street Angel show, 1 Enchanted show and every tom, dick and harry Tour she's done this Century.
I saw 1 Tusk show, 2 Mirage shows, 2 Tango shows, 1 Behind the Mask show, 1 Dance show, 1 SYW show and 2 Unleashed'es.

My fandom has never faded in all these years. I'm just as obsessed with my Fleetwood Mac as I have always been. The only difference though between this Century and last, is that this Century I really don't listen to their music much. Hip Hop rules my life now.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not an old fan but when I first heard Stevie's voice, 2007, I just fell in love with it.
It was Dreams I heard, then Seven Wonders
I had been a Kate Bush fan a year earlier and was for like 6 months, then it was Tori Amos I listened to in spring/summer 2007, so when I heard Stevie/The Mac, I was kinda like "Well, I don't wasnt more idols because then I will forget Tori and blablabla" and I never knew that I would become a diehard fan of Stevie!!! But when I first heard that magical voice of hers...it was something special, and everything changed in my life, Stevie Nicks was my guardian angel from that moment on...and I'll NEVER EVER stop loving her and Fleetwood Mac!!!!!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

...And well, the time is really flying because it feels like it was yesterday I sat in my livingroom and my dad came home with Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits...and when I first heard Stand Back was that performance Stevie did on Ellen 2007, you know So awesome and I remember how much I love her hair in that performance!