Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:50 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default New Deluxe Edition of Then Play On due on the 19th Aug 2013

I found out about this today on another forum. It looks like there's one bonus track. Looks like the UK track listing aswell with the bonus track being World In Harmony, which is tagged on at the end. I just hope the remastering and updated packaging is acceptable. I'm also hoping that this means that the rest of the catalogue is going to get the same treatment soon. Hopefully 1970's Kiln House to 1974's Heroes Are Hard To Find and 1980's Live to 1990's Behind The Mask will follow, although I'm not holding out too much hope yet. The new Deluxe Edition of Then Play On is being released by Rhino/Warner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Then-Play-On...+play+on+rhino

Last edited by Andrew Smith; 06-22-2013 at 09:05 PM..
Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
I found out about this today on another forum. It looks like there's one bonus track. Looks like the UK track listing aswell with the bonus track being World In Harmony, which is tagged on at the end. I just hope the remastering and updated packaging is acceptable. I'm also hoping that this means that the rest of the catalogue is going to get the same treatment soon. Hopefully 1970's Kiln House to 1974's Heroes Are Hard To Find and 1980's Live to 1990's Behind The Mask will follow, although I'm not holding out too much hope yet. The new Deluxe Edition of Then Play On is being released by Rhino/Warner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Then-Play-On...+play+on+rhino
And Green Manalishi, which was never included on any previous edition of TPO.

Wish there was some material we couldn't get anywhere else. Let's face it, there has to be something. Or maybe the Vaudeville years shores up all the remaining material.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
And Green Manalishi, which was never included on any previous edition of TPO.

Wish there was some material we couldn't get anywhere else. Let's face it, there has to be something. Or maybe the Vaudeville years shores up all the remaining material.
And "Oh Well" Parts 1 and 2 tacked on at the end of the original UK track order for the album as well (as most people here know, the original album did not include "Oh Well"). I hope they do a good job of remastering the audio for all of this - it has long needed it.

I suspect you're right that the Vaudeville Years and Show-Biz Blues sets already cleaned out the vaults for unissued studio material during that period. It would be nice to have a more complete collection of BBC recordings than the one that's already been issued - wonder if the remaining tracks that we know were recorded for the BBC either no longer exist or only exist in such poor audio quality that they didn't feel they could release them with the earlier set.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
It would be nice to have a more complete collection of BBC recordings than the one that's already been issued - wonder if the remaining tracks that we know were recorded for the BBC either no longer exist or only exist in such poor audio quality that they didn't feel they could release them with the earlier set.
Yeah could be. As much as I'm clamoring to get the original World In Harmony on CD quality, I won't get my hopes up for this set sounding better as I recall Martin Birch saying there are clicks all over the place in the original master tape due to the work they had done on it at the time not realizing that was the ramification. Hopefully they can be digitally smoothed over though like a pop/click effect in mp3 editing software when transferring from vinyl etc.

I'm guessing this page relates to the same item (for those that would prefer to order from Amazon US)

http://www.amazon.com/Then-Play-Flee...c+Then+Play+On

Not much but I'll take it.

John
Old 06-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Deep joy!

I'll buy it if it has a thick little booklet. I kind of prefer Oh Well in the two parts as well.

I like Dead Shrimp Blues in the low-fi version I have, it sounds like some old Paramount/Black Patti 78 with bits of delta mud in the grooves!

Oh, you know an obvious thought for a Disc 2 would be the solo The End Of The Game and 1971-72 singles, and Jeremy's 1970 solo (or would that be best with Kiln House?)

Last edited by becca; 06-23-2013 at 02:18 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
Oh, you know an obvious thought for a Disc 2 would be the solo The End Of The Game and 1971-72 singles, and Jeremy's 1970 solo (or would that be best with Kiln House?)
Since Jeremy's first solo album was originally intended to be released simultaneously with TPO, that would be more appropos for the 2nd disc of a remastered TPO.

I keep reading every now & then that there are plans to remaster The End Of The Game, and many comments from those involved have said that there's both better takes & better material that was left in the can than what eventually was used for the album.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have my own End Of The Game cobbled together from vinyl and the Reprise CD of the six LP tracks. I would definitely be interested in an official expanded edition though.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

More info here:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...rprise.321538/
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Junior Ledgie

Brilliant! Hope they remaster and reissue the other albums, some really need it.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
The Steve Hoffman forum is where I first heard about the Deluxe Edition of Then Play On.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

The big question is whether this is just the start of a Fleetwood Mac back-catologue reissue programme (apart from Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Tusk which have already been remastered & expanded)?
Old 06-24-2013, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The big question is whether this is just the start of a Fleetwood Mac back-catologue reissue programme (apart from Fleetwood Mac, Rumours and Tusk which have already been remastered & expanded)?
And, in the case of Rumours, more than once...twice...(hey, I'm starting to sound like LeBron James here)
Old 06-24-2013, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The Steve Hoffman forum is where I first heard about the Deluxe Edition of Then Play On.
I just discovered them (Steve Hoffman forums) last week!
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-24-2013, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Morton Report

http://www.themortonreport.com/enter...d-mac-classic/

Rhino to Reissue Early Fleetwood Mac Classic Then Play On

1969's Then Play On represents a brave but highly desired reach back into time for Fleetwood Mac fans.

June 24, 2013 By Matt Rowe, Columnist

If we begin to talk about Fleetwood Mac, most will immediately think of the version that employed Lindsay Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. They will remember "Second Hand News," "Sara," and"Go Your Own Way," but likely couldn't hum the first note of a song called "Oh Well." What may surprise many is that the Fleetwood Mac they remember is a refresh of a much older band, older than they realize.

As a brief biographical sketch, Fleetwood Mac began way back in 1967, a full eight years before the self-titled 1975 classic that broke them wide open with "Over My Head," "Say You Love Me," and "Rhiannon." Moreover, the band had already released nine studio albums with several different incarnations of the band. Essentially, the band began with the highly regarded (among fans) but heavily underrated guitarist, Peter Green as well as Jeremy Spencer, soon transitioning with both Danny Kirwan and Bob Welch. The great thing was that all incarnations of the band were great in their own way. And they created vastly different sets of albums. All their albums are loved by various groups of fans. Believe it or not, some fans find earlier incarnations of Fleetwood Mac to be intrinsically better than the one that most know, you know—that famous version.

Without getting into a grand discussion of what albums preceded that groundbreaking 1975 classic, and their various virtues (and we could do that, easily), it is sufficient for the sake of brevity to just simply announced that Rhino Records will be releasing a deluxe edition reissue of the last Peter Green involved album, Then Play On (1969).

Then Play On was Fleetwood Mac's third studio album and is highly regarded by many FM fans. It comes as a bit of a surprise that the major label would green-light an early era reissue of this band that doesn't guarantee a rabid reaction by most people like Rumours would. But there we have it. They are. And early fans couldn't be happier.

The details are quite sketchy at this point concerning bonus track inclusions (if any) or whether they will go with the original UK track-listing rather than the punctured US release that left several songs off from the UK edition. Nevertheless, it's exciting news.

Currently scheduled for August 19 (UK) and August 20 (US), the Rhino-shine edition of Then Play On will make scores of early Fleetwood Mac fans very, very happy. And what is even more exciting is the possibility that if this does well, Rhino Records might revisit Heroes Are Hard To Find (1974), Bare Trees (1972), Kiln House
(1970), and even Mystery To Me (1973). Of course, there are others. But the above mentioned hopefuls will be a great start if they see the light of day.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've had a vinyl copy of Then Play On since 1987, handed down from my uncle...and admittedly never really given it a chance. There's no Stevie, no Christine, no Lindsey - why would I?

That said, I'll be picking up this reissue and using it to get aquainted with this era of the band. Hopefully, more will follow.

I do wonder though if it will be remastered, or if it is just a new release of an old master? It's not really clear.