User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
That's been their fatal mistake of creativity...caving in to the middle ground and grinding off the edge of their material. There've been plenty of bands & artists who SHUN the "hits" and still have rabid concert following (Pink Floyd & Neil Young immediately come to mind). There's is absolutely NOTHING wrong WITH leaving the audience "dazed & confused". That's what ART is all about. Shaking the comfort level of the audience. You're not guaranteed to hear "Layla" when you see Clapton (and if you do, it might not be how you EXPECT to hear it)...you're not guaranteed to hear ANYTHING you know of Bob Dylan when you see him in concert. You can never predict what you'll hear from David Bowie, either on record or in concert. Bands like the Allman Brothers (or their younger spin-offs, the Tedeschi Trucks Band or Gov't Mule ) never play the same song the same way twice.
thank you! the voice of reason. reading everybody else's posts i can't help but wonder whether these people see only FM live... or if not, who do they see? because for sure it ain't Stones, or Dylan, or Clapton, or Pearl Jam, or Bowie, or Bruce, or Prince, or Steely Dan, or NIN, or Jackson Browne... the list goes on and on.

when i saw Bowie years ago, he played only 2 of his hits. same with Dylan couple of years ago. Jackson Browne didn't do Stay. Lindsey solo never does Holiday Road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
The Rumours incarnation of the band has never really mixed up their setlists, though. I think solo artists like Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Bob Dylan, etc can get away with nightly changes & such because they're just that- solo artists.
see above. Stones are not solo artists, nor Steely Dan, nor NIN, nor Pearl Jam, and many others. yet they change setlists, from tour to tour and date to date, some of them a lot some of them a few songs or a sequence. Steely Dan had two completely different sets alternating between the dates last year. some of these bands are much older than FM, others are much younger but old enough to be considered classic rock.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stating the obvious here, but this (supposed) set list is no shocker.
Being that they usually drop 1 or 2 songs as the tour progresses, wondering which those will be is something to ponder.

Jamie
Old 09-15-2014, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac's setlist is different from the 2013 tour. According to the set from tumblr, 7 songs this tour were not played in 2013.

From 2012-2014, The Rolling Stones may not have performed the same set every night but they always play 16 warhorse songs every night and 3 change every night. If you're a hard core fan...you can guess the 3 other songs they're going to play because they're not surprises.

I like the set on tumblr. I just wish Hold Me and Over My Head were going to be performed.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
Fleetwood Mac's setlist is different from the 2013 tour. According to the set from tumblr, 7 songs this tour were not played in 2013.

From 2012-2014, The Rolling Stones may not have performed the same set every night but they always play 16 warhorse songs every night and 3 change every night. If you're a hard core fan...you can guess the 3 other songs they're going to play because they're not surprises.

I like the set on tumblr. I just wish Hold Me and Over My Head were going to be performed.
I'm really glad someone finally said it about the Stones. I love them, but go to one of their fan sites (iorr.org is the one I frequent), and you will see the exact same bitching about the setlist selections/sequencing/song arrangements as you do here. And they went from doing 23 songs during their 5 "50th anniversary" shows in NYC and London to 19 during the "14 on Fire" tour this year.

Fleetwood Mac isn't alone in their unwillingness to break the mold. For every Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan, there is a Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, or Rolling Stones. I just enjoy it for what it is and don't have any expectations at this point that they are going to drop The Chain/Dreams/Rhiannon/Say You Love Me/Big Love/Landslide/You Make Loving Fun/GYOW/Don't Stop in lieu of Frozen Love/IDWTK/Seven Wonders/Over and Over/Book of Love/That's Alright/As Long As You Follow/Family Man/Warm Ways.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I'm really glad someone finally said it about the Stones. I love them, but go to one of their fan sites (iorr.org is the one I frequent), and you will see the exact same bitching about the setlist selections/sequencing/song arrangements as you do here.
of course fans following all bands bitch. NIN fans bitch that they always end their set with Hurt. always. every tour. but you know what? it's worth following NIN around. it's worth seeing 2 different tours. it's worth seeing them at festivals vs regular tour dates. setlists are highly varied and different. when they have new album out, in 2-3 dates in a row they cover every single new song. every. single. one. or follow Pearl Jam around and you will always get surprises. and all these bands do highly solid shows, make no mistake. they are not Grateful Dead. on top of everything NIN does a huge production. Pearl Jam has amazing audience interactions. they do on the spot covers. the list goes on.

re Stones - to have most of the setlist the same and switch 3 songs between dates is very different from basically playing the EXACT same setlist for the last 40 or so years!! wouldn't we all be ecstatic if FM would switch around 3 songs from date to date??????? i mean, we call ourselves lucky if they switch 3 songs from tour to tour!! if the leaked setlist is correct, between them Stevie and Lindsey switched exactly ONE song since the last tour, and dropped a few to accommodate Christine's. that's not 7 different songs from the last tour, that's 1! (and that 1 was played on the tour just before last.)

lmao at FM changing 7 songs since the last tour. aha. how many did they switch since the Dance? oh yeah, now they dropped the ones that were new at the time, that's about it.

FM fans have much less reasons to see them on every tour, however great performance they give, or to see them several dates in a row. i made a mistake and thought FM might be as interesting as LB solo to see a number of times on one tour, so i made a huge mistake and saw them way to many times last year - and i got burned out. we have every reason to bitch, much more than fans of other bands.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 09-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Perfectly stated!

Unfortunately, many don't understand the beauty of that. " I paid a lot of money, so I expect to hear these songs!"
When it comes to Fleetwood Mac, if you're a true fan, you wouldn't have such stringent expectations. And, as a causal fan, even if you don't hear all the songs you're familiar with, you should still be able to be entertained, and appreciate/enjoy the show because it's being performed by an exceptional band.

I've been to many shows where I might know little to nothing about the artist or the songs (accompanying friends who are fans), but I can still appreciate and enjoy the performance. If Fleetwood feels that 90% of their show has to be the familiar well-worn road material, at least they can be a little bit more adventurous with song sequence. Open with something other than The Chain. Push Dreams near the end of the set. The band gets so set in their ways. Yet it's so perplexing to see that some fans seem to want it that way. "They have to open with The Chain, followed by Dreams." I don't understand that. I rather be surprised and challenged, expecting the unsuspected.

Elvis Costello once did a tour where he had this big wheel with dozens of songs on it; he'd spin it and perform whatever song it landed on. Pretty cool, huh? Every show was unique.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
thank you! the voice of reason. reading everybody else's posts i can't help but wonder whether these people see only FM live... or if not, who do they see? because for sure it ain't Stones, or Dylan, or Clapton, or Pearl Jam, or Bowie, or Bruce, or Prince, or Steely Dan, or NIN, or Jackson Browne... the list goes on and on.

when i saw Bowie years ago, he played only 2 of his hits. same with Dylan couple of years ago. Jackson Browne didn't do Stay. Lindsey solo never does Holiday Road.

see above. Stones are not solo artists, nor Steely Dan, nor NIN, nor Pearl Jam, and many others. yet they change setlists, from tour to tour and date to date, some of them a lot some of them a few songs or a sequence. Steely Dan had two completely different sets alternating between the dates last year. some of these bands are much older than FM, others are much younger but old enough to be considered classic rock.
Quote:
of course fans following all bands bitch. NIN fans bitch that they always end their set with Hurt. always. every tour. but you know what? it's worth following NIN around. it's worth seeing 2 different tours. it's worth seeing them at festivals vs regular tour dates. setlists are highly varied and different. when they have new album out, in 2-3 dates in a row they cover every single new song. every. single. one. or follow Pearl Jam around and you will always get surprises. and all these bands do highly solid shows, make no mistake. they are not Grateful Dead. on top of everything NIN does a huge production. Pearl Jam has amazing audience interactions. they do on the spot covers. the list goes on.

re Stones - to have most of the setlist the same and switch 3 songs between dates is very different from basically playing the EXACT same setlist for the last 40 or so years!! wouldn't we all be ecstatic if FM would switch around 3 songs from date to date??????? i mean, we call ourselves lucky if they switch 3 songs from tour to tour!! if the leaked setlist is correct, between them Stevie and Lindsey switched exactly ONE song since the last tour, and dropped a few to accommodate Christine's. that's not 7 different songs from the last tour, that's 1! (and that 1 was played on the tour just before last.)

lmao at FM changing 7 songs since the last tour. aha. how many did they switch since the Dance? oh yeah, now they dropped the ones that were new at the time, that's about it.

FM fans have much less reasons to see them on every tour, however great performance they give, or to see them several dates in a row. i made a mistake and thought FM might be as interesting as LB solo to see a number of times on one tour, so i made a huge mistake and saw them way to many times last year - and i got burned out. we have every reason to bitch, much more than fans of other bands.
Ok, you've forced me into it...

And, then there's the Grateful Dead & Phish....they don't even follow the set list they make for the NIGHT, much less two shows in a row. I think it was the Grateful Dead who played 10 shows in a row WITHOUT REPEATING A SONG! Ok, Fleetwood Mac, TRY THAT!!!!

Game, set & MATCH to chiliD!!
Old 09-15-2014, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

What do members of Fleetwood Mac say when you've asked about the set lists/their song selection? Even Lindsey's solo tours don't change, same big guitar solos, same Fleetwood Mac songs. Tusk is considered his baby, and he's played so few of his songs live. Why can't they have a fan choice every night like the Rolling Stones? Maybe Lindsey legitimately doesn't know the songs and it's been a lot of work just to go through Christine's songs again?

One problem I see is that the band doesn't really have contact with their fans. It seems like it takes a decade for messages to be relayed to them; it took that long for Stevie to do Sisters of the Moon again. I said this many pages back but Lindsey and Stevie only changing 1 song from the last tour is unacceptable
Old 09-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Metallica this year did a "by request" tour where fans voted on the set list every show. Turns out the fans want to hear the staples. There weren't any songs fans collectively were sick of and chose not to vote for. They had one remaining song from their classic 80s albums that had never been played and that didn't get picked until midway through the tour. I have a feeling if Fleetwood Mac gave the vote to the fans it would be mostly their biggest hits. Yeah you'd get a few interesting choices which would be nice but it wouldn't be filled with them and you wouldn't get rid of those staples.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post

One problem I see is that the band doesn't really have contact with their fans. It seems like it takes a decade for messages to be relayed to them; it took that long for Stevie to do Sisters of the Moon again. I said this many pages back but Lindsey and Stevie only changing 1 song from the last tour is unacceptable
I agree. Do they think this is a different audience than they had last year? It's probably a large portion of the same people going.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
What do members of Fleetwood Mac say when you've asked about the set lists/their song selection? Even Lindsey's solo tours don't change, same big guitar solos, same Fleetwood Mac songs. Tusk is considered his baby, and he's played so few of his songs live. Why can't they have a fan choice every night like the Rolling Stones? Maybe Lindsey legitimately doesn't know the songs and it's been a lot of work just to go through Christine's songs again?

One problem I see is that the band doesn't really have contact with their fans. It seems like it takes a decade for messages to be relayed to them;
i'm not sure what are you talking about re LB solo tours. the main problem with his last year's tour was too short setlist and no requests. and while i complain non-stop that there's not enough change from tour to tour and barely any change from date to date, compared to FM, his sets between tours are extremely different . for one thing, at most of his solo tours he promotes whatever is the most recent album he has, so he plays at least 6 completely new songs. his sets are usually half FM and half solo. so while he may play the same FM songs he considers staples his solo songs change (and i consider his SYW songs like Come or BTLH basically solo).

i do agree with you re his not playing nearly enough Tusk songs. other than Tusk, he only played IKINW and SMAP at solo tours, i think? (that WATL verse doesn't count. ) which would be completely ok if he would play other songs on FM tours, but he doesn't.

lol at LB not knowing songs... yeah that's what he claims, but to him not knowing means doing them like he was doing Rock Away Blind.

oh band has enough contact to know. Mick and Lindsey talked to tons of fans in the last 2 years. they know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Metallica this year did a "by request" tour where fans voted on the set list every show. Turns out the fans want to hear the staples. There weren't any songs fans collectively were sick of and chose not to vote for. They had one remaining song from their classic 80s albums that had never been played and that didn't get picked until midway through the tour. I have a feeling if Fleetwood Mac gave the vote to the fans it would be mostly their biggest hits. Yeah you'd get a few interesting choices which would be nice but it wouldn't be filled with them and you wouldn't get rid of those staples.
exactly. just read the posts in these setlist threads here and you'll see that rare are the fans coming up with something really different. i think i once made a list, actually, of what songs fans ask for and there's not much new. i was shocked by that ffor a while, but now i know better... i mean, just look at all the crocodile tears over the staple Sara being announced as gone from the set this year, replaced by SOTM that they almost never played lately? it tells you all you need to know.

it's different at LB solo shows, you could actually get some rarities and one-offs, and if this Mac album ever comes out and these never-ending cash grabbing tours finally get to the end, maybe we'll finally get that request solo tour he promised us 2 years ago. the way it's been going, he'll be 80 by then, probably.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Yeah you'd get a few interesting choices which would be nice but it wouldn't be filled with them and you wouldn't get rid of those staples.
As a musician myself, I just can't see playing the same songs night after night as a fun exercise. I understand changing up the set might cause some logistic adjustments, but the men who go with the tours are pros, they can change the lighting. It probably comes down to the confidence of the musicians...maybe they just don't have that and it's harder than we think to just come out and play a song without rehearsing (or ever doing it live)?

Example: This just in from Christine McVie... fan choice tonight:
a. Isn't It Midnight
b. Over My Head
c. Oh Daddy
d. Think About Me
e. Why
Old 09-16-2014, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's my consolation idea:

They come out & play Fleetwood Mac from beginning to end, take a 20 minute intermission...return & play Rumours + "Silver Springs" from beginning to end. The encore would consist in any order, "Tusk", "Sisters Of The Moon", "Brown Eyes"...one more encore? Ok, "Gypsy", then good night, Irene, good night.

They have enough security hired that anyone overheard complaining about the concert would be killed where they stand and their lifeless body hung from the rafters of the next concert venue.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Here's my consolation idea:

They come out & play Fleetwood Mac from beginning to end, take a 20 minute intermission...return & play Rumours + "Silver Springs" from beginning to end. The encore would consist in any order, "Tusk", "Sisters Of The Moon", "Brown Eyes"...one more encore? Ok, "Gypsy", then good night, Irene, good night.

They have enough security hired that anyone overheard complaining about the concert would be killed where they stand and their lifeless body hung from the rafters of the next concert venue.
I think I would sell everything I own and live on the street for a while just for a chance to see that show. Holy cow.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
t Lindsey solo never does Holiday Road.
He sure as hail did when I saw him "come on, bark like a dawwwg"
Old 09-16-2014, 06:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
He sure as hail did when I saw him "come on, bark like a dawwwg"
yeah UTS tour. wish i've seen it!

of course he's had 3 tours since then and it's been consistently out.