The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Would you be interested in buying...?

Due to lackluster album sales these days and with the industry in the proverbial toilet, a lot of artists find themselves without record contracts. Even though certain acts made the record companies they worked for millions of dollars at one time or another. Some artists have taken to recording on their own and either releasing said material on say iTunes or using a distributor to help release the music. Much like we saw Lindsey do with Seeds We Sow and his live work. On the other hand, because record companies still make tons of money off older released material and also because most bands do not own their masters some have decided to rerecord their most famous hits and release them. This way they can reap 100% of royalties when used in a commercial and such. My long winded rant concludes like this; would you like to see FM go this route and do an album of all rerecords and would you buy it?
Old 12-01-2012, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I bet ALL of us would buy it. Because who wouldn't want an all new recording using state of the art recording techniques? I wasn't keen on the idea when I first found out FM were redoing Silver Springs but then look how that turned out; it was magnificent! Most fans love Stevie's version of Crystal. I wish they'd all release songs independently from record companies.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

I'd buy it but I must admit, I'd really see that as them throwing up the white flag, it just seems too cornball, what would be next, a Christmas album, or some other Vegas type deals? In a sense they've already done this with The Dance & Live In Boston with the exception of an outside audience being present. I dunno, I guess I just got used to so many years of elite level rercordings, maybe I took them for granted. In the end I would buy though with reservations.

John
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Kid Creole did a re-recording of his hits. I bought it (as I would if it were the Mac). Some of the re-do's were quite interesting (maybe like 3 of them). The rest were just fine (obvs). I listened to it once. Returned to the 3 I found interesting and the (wonderful) new songs a few times after, but the whole package caused cognitive dissonance.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Ledgie

I wouldn't buy it because I don't see Christine going back into the studio to record with them, and without her, their classic songs just wouldn't be the same. If, however, the remaining members want to record new music on their own, or Lindsey's, new label, I'd be the first in line to buy it!
Old 12-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBielski View Post
Due to lackluster album sales these days and with the industry in the proverbial toilet, a lot of artists find themselves without record contracts. Even though certain acts made the record companies they worked for millions of dollars at one time or another. Some artists have taken to recording on their own and either releasing said material on say iTunes or using a distributor to help release the music. Much like we saw Lindsey do with Seeds We Sow and his live work. On the other hand, because record companies still make tons of money off older released material and also because most bands do not own their masters some have decided to rerecord their most famous hits and release them. This way they can reap 100% of royalties when used in a commercial and such. My long winded rant concludes like this; would you like to see FM go this route and do an album of all rerecords and would you buy it?
YES!!!!! in complete agreement with you.

(for me, it's a definite yes for LB material - solo and with FM, not necessarily all the rest of FM stuff)

i've been saying this since LB went indie - that he should re-record most of his material, and put it out in a box set on his own label.

(i don't know enough about rights etc, and what he owns vs what his past labels own, but it may be the easiest way he can put out the box set on his own?)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"

Last edited by elle; 12-01-2012 at 11:43 AM..
Old 12-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori40 View Post
I wouldn't buy it because I don't see Christine going back into the studio to record with them, and without her, their classic songs just wouldn't be the same. If, however, the remaining members want to record new music on their own, or Lindsey's, new label, I'd be the first in line to buy it!
yes, another thing that i think they should do... they make all their big money on the road anyway. so they should leave the big label (do they even give advances to artists anymore? maybe to some big current money makers), and just keep putting stuff on their own as they feel like it. just look at LB's output since he's gone indie!!

if they do that all this talk about years needed for making new music and putting albums out could finally stop.

and if the rumors that they are releasing digitally 2 of the new tracks before the start of the tour turn out to be true, they already seem to be doing it. (hope it will really happen! )

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

There's some amazingly awesome things that happen in a studio while recording new songs. And the passion and craziness of the time made Rumors and Tusk the masterpieces they are. One of the reasons Tusk is so amazing is Lindsey banging on telephone books and laying on the tile floor going Ooh ooh... ooh ooh, and the untamed passion of heartbreak that gave us Storms and Sara. The total newness of Songbird before Christine sang it 50,000 times to close out every Mac concert since rumors. Or the ferociousness of Stevie and Lindsey singing Dreams and Go Your Own Way for the first time in the studio. I love The Dance and Live in Boston but those concerts are well seasoned musicians playing songs they've lived comfortably with for decades (as well as some new material). Going into the studio to re-record them might make for a fun listen but it will never hold a candle to the originals. And certainly will never replace them.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No, I wouldn't buy it. For one, Stevie can't hit the high notes anymore, and I sure wouldn't want to hear her redo Dreams. She pulled off the Deep Dish dance mixes but that had to do with the production. Second, I am already burned out on the "hits" from all the tours, live albums, and repacking of the greatest hit collections. Something new please!
Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
No, I wouldn't buy it. For one, Stevie can't hit the high notes anymore, and I sure wouldn't want to hear her redo Dreams.
I agree 100%, and not only Stevie. Lindsey's voice is not the same and I wouldn't want to hear GYOW in a 2013 studio version. It's fine for live shows, but not a re-record. Let the magic be as it always has been.

And of course I agree about the Christine absence. Imagine World Turning and Don't Stop without her. No way!!!

But I'm still waiting for the Mirage and Tango special editions. I'm not satisfied with the 3 first albums .
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by soul_drifter333 View Post
No, I wouldn't buy it. For one, Stevie can't hit the high notes anymore, and I sure wouldn't want to hear her redo Dreams. She pulled off the Deep Dish dance mixes but that had to do with the production.
She can hit the notes, and the Deep Dish song was proof. We've heard it more recently too (can't think of exactly where, but it was some spontaneous thing she did during the promotion of IYD). I think that she may not be able to hit them reliably enough to attempt them on stage every night, but for a studio recording, where another take is always possible, it wouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
I agree 100%, and not only Stevie. Lindsey's voice is not the same and I wouldn't want to hear GYOW in a 2013 studio version. It's fine for live shows, but not a re-record. Let the magic be as it always has been.
yup, luckily! it's much better now

Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Your right Mike. I think that it was a clip from her new documentary, but I still wouldn't buy a redo CD. Good point that she can still hit the high notes but she still didn't sing them like she used to on IYD either. Maybe because she knew that it would be hard to hit them live night after night. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan I just prefer the 75-83 Stevie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
She can hit the notes, and the Deep Dish song was proof. We've heard it more recently too (can't think of exactly where, but it was some spontaneous thing she did during the promotion of IYD). I think that she may not be able to hit them reliably enough to attempt them on stage every night, but for a studio recording, where another take is always possible, it wouldn't be a problem.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default They Should Do An Album Of All Christine Songs

I liked their version of "Say You Love Me" from the last tour. They should work up arrangements of ten or twelve of Christine's songs. It would give a new twist on some really great material.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I would be interested in seeing what they would re-record. More than that, I'd love to see the Mac go indie and record new material. Why rehash the past if you don't have to? I get the idea of being able to own the masters that way and get more of the royalties, makes sense, but do we really think that Lindsey wants to re-record "Rumours"? "Tusk"? "Mirage"? I don't think so. Stevie either for that matter.

Would I be interested in at least hearing a re-recording of some of the hits? Sure, why not? Would I buy it? Depends. New material with a re-recording of a classic as a "B-side"? Absolutely.