The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

What do you guys think of "Do You Know"? Is it poignant and beautiful? or is it saccharine and insubstantial?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-28-2012, 12:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
What do you guys think of "Do You Know"? Is it poignant and beautiful? or is it saccharine and insubstantial?
DYK was my favorite song on BTM. I was very much in love at the time, and that song held a very special place in my heart...
Old 04-28-2012, 12:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I vote for the latter.

Michele
Old 04-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I vote for the latter.

Michele
Well, I hadn't heard it for about 50 years so I just went to YouTube to listen to it, and now ... well, I'm not sure what I think of it. I've spoken of Greg Ladanyi's cauliflower ear before, but I'm trying to discount that nonsense in the hopes of "hearing" the song bare so I can judge it rather than Ladanyi.

I just don't know what to make of it. I know I like it but I don't know whether it's any good.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's amazing, & people are too quick to pan songs that aren't on mega-hit million selling albums.I keep an open ear to everything
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
On paper it delicate, quite pretty. In execution is is overproduced, saccharine-slick in a way that doesn't complement Christine's earthy, imperfect voice.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
It's amazing, & people are too quick to pan songs that aren't on mega-hit million selling albums.I keep an open ear to everything
I love a lot of Christine's non-hits. A LOT of them. In fact, songs like Honey Hi, Hollywood, Only Over You, Oh Daddy, and Brown Eyes are among my favorites of hers. I just really hate the production job on all the songs from Mask.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Registered

Honey Hi - I love the harmonies. I also think Heart of Stone is underrated.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Come A Little Bit Closer
The Smile I Live For
Just Crazy Love
Never Make Me Cry
Wish You Were Here
Honey Hi (perfect harmonies with Stevie Nicks)
Get Like You Used To Be
Love In Store
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In my opinion, Christine barely put a hoof wrong until the Mirage album. That's when my adoration for her songwriting abilities and vocal prowess began to wane. I think most of her output since 1982 has been insubstantial and pedestrian with the occasional highlight in the form of Isn't It Midnight, As Long As You Follow, Behind The Mask and Heart Of Stone.
I liked aspects of the 1984 solo album, but the production was so mundane overall, which was a shame when you consider that she had composed a decent batch of songs on that outing.
This comment is bound to alienate the majority of you, but I found Christine's vocals on the Tango album to be wispy, non-engaging and lightweight. It almost seemed as though she was mimicking Lindsey's vocal stylings at the time, lending a synthetic sheen to her songs.
I also thought Christine's contributions to the Time album were the nadir of her career - this was songwriting by numbers, prosaic and perfunctory in the extreme.
In The Meantime just further cemented her deterioration as a songwriter and features the dullest production of all time. Once again, I realise I'm on my own here, but I consider her vocals to be truly awful on this occasion. I've never been able to play this album all the way through, it's just too embarrassing for everyone concerned (most of all, the listener).
I definitely feel as though Christine was underrated from her origins in Chicken Shack all the way through to the Heroes Are Hard To Find album, before finally being properly recognised from the White Album onwards. Her work during this period (1967 - 1974) had been consistently brilliant and she continued to produce stellar work all the way through to Tusk in 1979. Her first side-step occurred with One More Night and yet, I still found it difficult to resist. It was from 1982 onwards that she began to lose my interest, but I still yearn for one last burst of greatness from her, perhaps courtesy of the ever-looming final Mac album...
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
It's amazing that you assume it matters to David what album it was on.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well, I hadn't heard it for about 50 years so I just went to YouTube to listen to it, and now ... well, I'm not sure what I think of it. I've spoken of Greg Ladanyi's cauliflower ear before, but I'm trying to discount that nonsense in the hopes of "hearing" the song bare so I can judge it rather than Ladanyi.

I just don't know what to make of it. I know I like it but I don't know whether it's any good.
I'm not sure it's poignant, but I also don't think it's either saccharine and insubstantial. It IS a beautiful pop song, and it is possibly the best moment on that record.

"Behind The Mask" is the album that could have been.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
In my opinion, Christine barely put a hoof wrong until the Mirage album. That's when my adoration for her songwriting abilities and vocal prowess began to wane. I think most of her output since 1982 has been insubstantial and pedestrian with the occasional highlight in the form of Isn't It Midnight, As Long As You Follow, Behind The Mask and Heart Of Stone.
I liked aspects of the 1984 solo album, but the production was so mundane overall, which was a shame when you consider that she had composed a decent batch of songs on that outing.
This comment is bound to alienate the majority of you, but I found Christine's vocals on the Tango album to be wispy, non-engaging and lightweight. It almost seemed as though she was mimicking Lindsey's vocal stylings at the time, lending a synthetic sheen to her songs.
I also thought Christine's contributions to the Time album were the nadir of her career - this was songwriting by numbers, prosaic and perfunctory in the extreme.
In The Meantime just further cemented her deterioration as a songwriter and features the dullest production of all time. Once again, I realise I'm on my own here, but I consider her vocals to be truly awful on this occasion. I've never been able to play this album all the way through, it's just too embarrassing for everyone concerned (most of all, the listener).
I definitely feel as though Christine was underrated from her origins in Chicken Shack all the way through to the Heroes Are Hard To Find album, before finally being properly recognised from the White Album onwards. Her work during this period (1967 - 1974) had been consistently brilliant and she continued to produce stellar work all the way through to Tusk in 1979. Her first side-step occurred with One More Night and yet, I still found it difficult to resist. It was from 1982 onwards that she began to lose my interest, but I still yearn for one last burst of greatness from her, perhaps courtesy of the ever-looming final Mac album...
I was always struck by how Christine was able to evolve from era to era of the band, and wondered if perhaps my lack of enthusiasm for her later songs (Mirage onward for me as well, although a few of her Tusk songs fail to captivate me too) is a product of Christine trying to be commercial for evolving markets. If she ever records with the band again I want to hear her play the blues.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
We live on different planets. Her ITM songs and vocals are outstanding. Far superior, imo, to the 1984 record. Career highlights, in fact.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I accept this and realise that I am in the minority regarding my views, but believe me, I truly wanted to like In The Meantime. I bought it on the day of release and was praying it would mark a return to form (in my opinion), but alas, it was not to be. I lament what I consider to be the loss of Christine's talents. Such a shame.