User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Perth Review/Thoughts (Long)

Perth 27/28 Feb

These past couple of days have been the most awesome days I have ever experienced. I went with my sister to the first show, and my mother came with me to the second show. Trying to get someone to come to the second show was like pulling a tooth. No-one wanted to come! Eventually my mother said she'd take the ticket and now she's in love with Lindsey!

On the 27th my sister and I got to the gates at around 6pm which was when they were supposed to open. A security guard or someone associated with the concert came out and told us that they'd be opening the gates a bit late because they were having problems with the sound. Arrgh! Exactly what I didn't want to hear! While we were waiting, we had a look at the merchandise trailer and almost had heart attacks. $15 for a keychain, $25 for a mug, $25 for programs, $40 for a cap etc. Anyway it didn't stop me from buying a keychain, mug, program and shirt for my sister. (It had the Rumours cover of the front and the Australian cities on the back).

So while we were waiting, We heard the intro to Dreams playing. They were only just doing the soundcheck now! They played Dreams, The Chain and Big Love. That was really exciting to hear.

So we finally got inside, and went looking for our seats. We had second row seats on the floor but couldn't find our way down there. I felt so stupid.. I guess I was delirious with excitement! We eventually found our way down and were blown away with how close we were to the stage. My sister commented that Stevie would be so close she could spit on us! Not that she would want to, I reminded her.

The people started flowing in and my sister and I were just taking in the surroundings. It was windy and some of the lights and speakers were swaying a little...(or rocking a little, if you will ) On the stage were two mic stands, and off to the side there was another stand which I initailly didn't notice. Then it dawned on me...Those were all of Stevie's ribbons and beads adorning it! Why they just didn't replace that stand with the bare one I'll never know.

Anyway, this blonde chick came out and attached a red flower to Stevie's bare mic stand and then tried to attach the crystal bead strand but she was having trouble with it and spent about ten minutes trying to make it look right, without success. Then a woman in the row behind us went up and asked her whether she was really stupid or just acting. A smatter of applause went up. It was only today, after doing some searching on the net that I realise with much horror that that woman must have been rude to Cory Buckingham! I hope Cory doesn't hate us Perthites now!

The show was supposed to start at 7.30. But it didn't. 35 minutes later the lights went down and the crowd went wild. People from all different blocks started running up to the front, which kinda sucked because it wasn't fair to the people who paid big money to be front and centre only to have some yobbo standing in their way through the whole show. Being 6'4, when I stood I had a perfect view of the band but my sister was stuck standing behind some other tall guy.

There was supposed to be no flash photography at the venue, but people had their cameras out flashing away. There were also a lot of people trying to take pictures with their mobile phones. Towards the end of the show one of the security guards cam up to one guy and told him to delete his pictures from his digital camera. So he deleted one and said "Ok. they're gone" but the guard knew it was a lie and made him delete all the pics he'd taken that night. Which kinda sucked for that guy.

The show itself was phenomenal. The setlist is still the same but not having been to any of their concerts before I didn't mind that there was a large chunk devoted to all the older stuff. I do wish Stevie would've sung some newer stuff though.

I was expecting Stevie to come out in "old Blackdress", which she did but it was quite nice with its layers and sequiny type sparkly bits on it. When she first came out I thought she had on just a bra with a see through black top! I was shocked! But I think she had on a reddish top under the black one. And she had on the platform sneakers! I thought that was hilarious. They were so cute! And boy, was she tiny! She also had on these black gloves during certain songs. During other songs though they weren't on and she was wearing bright red nail polish which looked cool.

On the 28th, my mother and I were in the second block from the front, and this night they had security not allowing people who weren't from the front blocks to go up to the stage. The second concert was also different because they had the big screen up behind the band. It wasn't there on the 27th. I don't know whether it was because it was too windy or whether something else was wrong with it.

Being in the second block in the centre gave me a whole different perspective on the show. I'll try to explain some of the differences in my individual thoughts on the songs.

Individual thoughts on songs:

The Chain: Amazing! Stevie's voice suprised me. I thought she might be a little croakier after being on the road for so many months but she was in great voice. Lindsey's voice surprised me a little as well. I'd downloaded some concert stuff beforehand but nothing could prepare me for the strength of his voice either.

Dreams. The crowd went crazy both nights when this one started. During this song and many others, at least on the first night, Stevie's eyes would flash when she sang certain words, giving them emphasis.

Eyes Of The World: I'd never really liked this song much, but this rocked live! In fact, every song of Lindsey's rocked! Stevie had her tambourine during this one and I swear, the ribbons and stuff attached to the tambo looked like it was a part of one of Cher's old wigs.

Peackeeper: Wicked! He made the little "when justice is gone" speech (I can't remember the full thing).

Second Hand News: Those Bam Bam Bams really rocked! (I'm still so speechless I can't think of a word to replace "rocked"

Say You Will sounded great. And this made me wish we could have heard some more new upbeat songs on the tour. Everybody Finds Out would have been so cool! And the little Say You Will dance was very cute. Stevie also did the lasso part during another song but I don't remember which one.

Never Going Back Again was sweet. Stevie swivelled her mic around so she could look into Lindsey's eyes. I know they do exactly the same thing at every show but it still seems sweet when they sing to each other.

Rhiannon: Another crowd pleaser. But I swear Stevie sang a couple of different words than normal on the first show, but I can't remember what they were. I knew I should have taken a notepad with me!

Come: Astonishing. I didn't like this song on the cd at first but now I love it. I thought Lindsey was going to burst into flames he was playing so hard! And he broke a string during this song towards the end. After it was over I heard a woman near me comment that she needed to lay down and have a cigarette! LOL!

Gypsy: On the second night, with the screen behind them showing shots of the videoclips this song was even better than the previous night. Seeing the part where SN & LB were dancing in the nightclub and SN running out into the rain while Stevie was singing almost brought a tear to my eye! Also, I don't know why I remember this but when she sang "With a little bit of fear" she made a motion with her thumb and forefinger to indicate "just a little bit". And the red Gypsy coat was beautiful. Stevie definitely looks great in colours

Big Love: To quote my mother (Who previously though LB was more of a backing singer than a frontman!!!!) "That was brilliant! The man is a genius!"

Landslide: When Stevie introduced it the first night she said "As we come to the end of our show, we'd like to thank..." Oops! She also made a reference to the audience maybe knowing the song from someone else singing it (with a smile on her face)

Say goodbye was very touching and sad.

What's the World Coming To: My mother liked the words to this one. Maybe I can convert her into a fan..The song rocked and the crowds loved it.

Beautiful Child: In a word...Beautiful. And on both nights she mentioned how "her boys said, if you love it, you do it!"

Gold Dust Woman: Bewitching! The gold shawl was fantastic. She looked so great in it. At the end of the song when Stevie goes into her dragonish type pose the smoke swirled all around her and I swear it looked like a scene from The Exorcist. Totally cool and fitting to the song

I'm So Afraid: Another song I wasn't really a fan of....until I heard it live! When Lindsey was doing the solo at the end he was near us (on the first night), my jaw was just on the floor. I was so stunned by this man's energy and ability. He was so energetic (not just during this song) on both nights that he would've wiped the floor with a guy even half his age! After Come and this song, I am definitely a huge Lindsey fan now!

Silver Springs: My sister went wild for this song. And Stevie was great. I don't remember what she was singing at the end but it was so much more intense than on any other version of the song I've heard. I don't know if it was just me but the music seemed to be getting faster as Stevie was shouting out her end bits. Fantastic!

Tusk: Amazing! Lindsey ran up and threw and arm around John towards the end and John patted LB's hand. Then LB and SN started their little boxing act and then fell into each others arms. I know Lindsey's got his family and he must be happy but he and Stevie looked like they were so in love as they were holding on to each other and twirling around. It reminded me exactly of the dancing scene in the Gypsy clip.

Stand Back: Stevie was so pumped during this song! Her vocals were great and she seemed to really come alive for this song. ON the first night she did a couple of tiny little kicks (like if you were kicking smeone in the shin) and she was twirling around with such passion it was amaizng to watch.

Go Your Own Way was fun to watch. Especially when Lindsey let the audience strum his guitar. One woman wiped the sweat off his forehead instead of having a strum. One thing I found funny was when Lindsey went "mad" during his solos and was slapping at the guitar like a monkey.

World Turning: Great Song! I really would have loved to hear Christine doing her part but Stevie did a great job with it. The drum solo was cool too! Everyone was on their feet cheering Mick on and he seemed to thrive on everyone's energy.

Don't Stop: This was great but again I would've loved to her Chris. Stevie sang a tiny bit different version on each night. the first night she sang "If your life wasn't good to you.." the second night it was "If your life isn't good for you". Don't know why I remember that but it just stuck out to me.

Goodbye Baby was sweet and tender and sad. When the band came out to play this last song on the second night a couple of women behind me were wondering what song they would play. One said Songbird...(Don't know how that would sound with Stevie singing it ). But what really surprised me was the other woman said Rose Garden!

Overall the shows were so fantastic it's hard to do justice to them by describing them like this. Oh...I forgot...As they were leaving the stage for the last time, on the first night someone gave Stevie and little koala with a note attached (which she handed to Mick), and some others also gave her flowers. On the second night someone gave Stevie this big bear thing which she handed to John. Someone gave Lindsey some flowers, and Lindsey signed someone's Tusk LP.

Random thoughts. At the first show during one of the songs Stevie was facing Mick and playing the tambourine, and she was shaking her booty like there was no tomorrow! During the second show she seemed to be doing a kind of shimmy on the top half during Stand Back. I don't know how to describe it without sounding rude but she had her arms stretched out forward and was shaking her bosom for all it was worth! It wasn't vulgar...it was just amazingly energetic and I really didn't expect her to be so animated.

As we were leaving my mother made the comment again that Lindsey is a genius and after seeing him live I totally agree. Ok, hope this wasn't too long or boring for you all!

Nick!

Last edited by TheBlueLamp; 02-29-2004 at 11:46 AM..
Old 02-29-2004, 08:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

That was an excellent review! Thanks so much Nick!
Old 02-29-2004, 09:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Hey Nick, your review was not long and boring at all. It was great. I loved the part about Stevie shaking her booty. I hope that she does that in the US in May.

Lindsey is just the best. You are right when you said that people half his age do not have his energy.

Well, thanks again for you review.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the review!!!

Pip
Old 02-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great Review! Thanks for posting it.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So glad you had such a great time! Thanks for posting your review!

Patti
Old 02-29-2004, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Perth Review/Thoughts (Long)

Thanks for the detailed review! Love it!

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBlueLamp
Anyway, this blonde chick came out and attached a red flower to Stevie's bare mic stand and then tried to attach the crystal bead strand but she was having trouble with it and spent about ten minutes trying to make it look right, without success. Then a woman in the row behind us went up and asked her whether she was really stupid or just acting. A smatter of applause went up. It was only today, after doing some searching on the net that I realise with much horror that that woman must have been rude to Cory Buckingham! I hope Cory doesn't hate us Perthites now!
Aw, poor Cory! Shame on that lady! lol

Old 02-29-2004, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Poor Cory....that woman was rather rude!

That was an excellent review!! So glad you had an amazing time and yes...I think in May when I see them again, I'll have to have a cigarette after Lindsey sings Come He's amazing. I'm happy that everyone down under including you has got to experience what we've all been talking about for the past year
Old 02-29-2004, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i cant wait to see some pics of stevie's new costumes

Chris
Old 03-01-2004, 04:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm sure Cory wasn't blond in London! The other wardrobe lady is tho...