The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Oh Well will be played in Europe (Mick says)

There is a detailed report from Terry Makedon on Prudential M&G with Mick (http://tmakworld.com/2013/04/fleetwo...ld-fleetwood-3).

At that particular M&G, Mick apparently said there will be 2 changes for European leg -

1. They will get rid of the moving lights that are not working properly (John McVie pointed that's great way to save money apparently )

2. They will be playing Oh Well.

Mick's also hoping that during the large time gaps they have in this year's tour Stevie will add 3-4 of her songs to the ones the rest of the Mac already recorded so they can get the album out by the end of the year or start of the next.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if there will be any more changes to the setlist. What would they drop to fit Oh Well? hmmm I don't think they will be adding without subtracting too. Maybe Lindsey will drop Not That Funny?? It should be noted that I do think that even with the extended room the setlist provides without Christine, both Lindsey and Stevie will always stick to their own songs, they will never rework a Christine song and they will never choose Blue Letter or Seven Wonders (two examples) over songs they see as their own. So if they do Oh Well again, that continues to be the only non-Lindsey Buckingham song he will do.

I doubt we'll see more than this change. But if they feel the need to go back to pre-1975 Fleetwood Mac, I'd love if they tried Albatross, which remains hugely popular in the UK, rather than Oh Well again. That reminds me: why hasn't Fleetwood Mac ever embraced medleys in their shows to fit more songs in? Since Albatross is an instrumental, I wonder if they'd be able to combine that with Oh Well, or use it to play into Oh Well as a tribute to the older blues incarnation. I don't know, they'd probably never do that or spend the time to get something like that right.

Another point: the song Everywhere actually charted this year in the UK, the only Fleetwood Mac song. I wonder if that will play into a certain London show. Probably not.

Last edited by bethelblues; 04-26-2013 at 11:18 AM..
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well It's about time!!! Oh Well is an amazing song and rocks live! Great news!!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

WHAT?!? The US audience isn't good enough for them to include "Oh Well" NOW??? That's BS.

And, again, they can't find it in their dark black souls to add ONE Bob Welch song in the set as a tribute to his passing? That's just downright disgusting.

HEY, MICK, how about tossing a bone or two to the fans who kept your money-grubbing a$$ a-float until Buckingham & Nicks came along!

Last edited by chiliD; 04-26-2013 at 11:24 AM..
Old 04-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
WHAT?!? The US audience isn't good enough for them to include "Oh Well" NOW??? That's BS.

And, again, they can't find it in their dark black souls to add ONE Bob Welch song in the set as a tribute to his passing? That's just downright disgusting.

HEY, MICK, how about tossing a bone or two to the fans who kept your money-grubbing a$$ a-float until Buckingham & Nicks came along!
And I'm on the other side of the Oh Well coin... I just wish that song would DIE. I can see why they'd play it in Europe, though... Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac was a much bigger deal there than later incarnations of the band, and Peter Green is basically unheard of here in the States.

However, I agree wholeheartedly that they really, really should be doing a Bob Welch song as a tribute this tour. I have to wonder if there's more to that than meets the eye, though. We know Bob sued the band for royalties some years back, and on those grounds, Christine got his entry into the Rock Hall Of Fame blocked. I wonder if there's some legal reason why the band is not performing any of Bob's songs? Perhaps it was part of the settlement? Maybe they don't want to give Wendy Welch any royalties from performing Bob's songs live due to her recent scathing online critiques of the band?
Old 04-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm glad that Oh Well is gonna be played in Europe. I was kinda wondering if the setlist was gonna be different when they go overseas. Perhaps playing more of the Peter Green/Blues era and/or the songs that were more popular in overseas markets, like those from Tango in the Night.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
Another point: the song Everywhere actually charted this year in the UK, the only Fleetwood Mac song. I wonder if that will play into a certain London show. Probably not.
Christine's song Everywhere, while a pleasant listen, is a lightweight gem. There are very ew songs from her catalog that Buckingham/Nicks could do justice with, but this unfortunately isn't one of them. The charm of this song rests solely with Christine.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Ahh come on, dude. I understand your sentiments but they plan to play your favorite song, and you p1ss acid again. They can never do good. And you hate LB's Oh Well anyway, so what's your point? I agree on Bob welch, But be fair: only hardcore macfans are waiting for such tribute. Including me, but I can't blame them for not doing so. A tribute in europe to greeny is a nice
thoughtful choice. It's the bands cradle.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
It should be noted that I do think that even with the extended room the setlist provides without Christine, both Lindsey and Stevie will always stick to their own songs, they will never rework a Christine song and they will never choose Blue Letter or Seven Wonders (two examples) over songs they see as their own.
Maybe they won't on this tour since the set is already...um....set. But they aren't against doing a Christine song in theory because they did it in 2009 with "Say You Love Me".
Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was originally hoping they would do Oh Well in the USA set like they did on the Unleashed Tour..but "oh well"!
Old 04-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Ledgie

I'm glad they're adding Oh Well.
I wish they were doing a Bob Welch song (Hypnotized?) as tribute. But, ah...I guess that's complicated
Old 04-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Christine's song Everywhere, while a pleasant listen, is a lightweight gem. There are very ew songs from her catalog that Buckingham/Nicks could do justice with, but this unfortunately isn't one of them. The charm of this song rests solely with Christine.
I think you missed my point. I said at a certain London show, alluding that they could possibly add that song with Christine onstage. But as I said, probably not. They could never pull it off otherwise---though some of her other songs, Little Lies for instance, I'm convinced could work if Lindsey and Stevie slowed them down and played them more like a ballad.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
Maybe they won't on this tour since the set is already...um....set. But they aren't against doing a Christine song in theory because they did it in 2009 with "Say You Love Me".
I'm just saying that that seems to be the trend. When was the last time the band rehearsed "a new take on a very old song?" The Dance tour, though they of course have added in songs they haven't played in a long time or at all (I'm talking changing the structure of the song: Rhiannon and Say You Love Me intros). Over the last few years, Lindsey and Stevie have chosen their own songs over songs that were written for them or re-adapting a Christine song or pre-1975 Mac song (a la Albatross would be amazing!! and I'd prefer that over Lindsey performing Oh Well again). Like I said, some kind of medley tribute, Albatross intro + Oh Well, would be really cool...I just feel like they probably don't want to put all that effort into reworking and relearning songs they really haven't played before. All that being said, I think my first point was that if they add Oh Well, what song will they drop??
Old 04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
I agree on Bob welch, But be fair: only hardcore macfans are waiting for such tribute.
And that is such a smaller portion of their fans, I think anyway. I might be wrong but from my observations that's what I gather.. here in the US, anyway. Was Albatross a Bob Welch song? Cause if it is, they should at least perform that one in Europe, come on guys!
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraRhiannon View Post
And that is such a smaller portion of their fans, I think anyway. I might be wrong but from my observations that's what I gather.. here in the US, anyway. Was Albatross a Bob Welch song? Cause if it is, they should at least perform that one in Europe, come on guys!
Nope, that one's Peter Green.