Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

OK. Time out on the Mick bashing!!!!

MFBB is out front and honest about what it was started for. It is all over the CD booklet and DVD as well. Its origin is as a tribute to Peter Green and the music of the original Fleetwood Mac. It's as plain as day, so let's not bash Mick and accuse him of something that he's not doing. Yes, the first CD from the group is full of PG and Rick's solo material. So what?! That was probably part of the deal that was struck with Mick for Rick to be on board. And what's wrong with Rick's solo material?!

Obviously, I'm in hopes of new material with smaller doses of PG tribute songs for the next CD as well. We'll just have to see. There is obviously enough talent in MFBB to have that happen.

Show some love for Mick. He's the one that's kept FM going in one form or another for all these years.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjpdg View Post
And what's wrong with Rick's solo material?!
Absolutely nothing except those songs were exactly that - solo material. Sure not everyone is as completist as I am and would have the MFBB album AND all of Rick's solo stuff, but a few new songs that we hadn't seen before would have been fantastic.

Sure, I'll stop the Mick bashing - soon.

He has had an extrodinarily lucky career which I have no doubt he would admit himself. He has had the fortune to work with some very talented people, he has achieved fame and success that he would not have on his own.

His contribution to keeping the band together is at times questionable. It was Bob Welch that dragged them through the fake FM saga, it was Mick that so badly managed them they were losing money, it was Mick that refused Stevie's request to use Silver Springs on her solo best of album and led her, at least in part, to quit.

He's a likable old rogue, he manages to gather talent around him to produce some fantastic albums. Forget the MFBB for a minute (and yes I love them don't get me wrong), but you only have to look at The Visitor, I'm Not Me, Shakin' The Cage and Something Big to see that Mick's success is putting bands together.

I'm not overly confident that his motives are always pure and for the sake of his art. I think money plays a huge part in the decisions he makes, especially after the "demise" of the Rumours era FM. That doesn't make it wrong as people have pointed out, money makes the world go round, but it doesn't make it right either.

That said, I'll stop bashing the old man

Oh and Rick Vito if you are reading this: Don't let the MFBB get in the way of releasing another solo album!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
The only reason he hired Stevie Nicks was because Lindsey came with her - and hiring those two people was probably the best decison he ever made (other than joining up with PG and that was probably because he didn't have any better offers at the time).

Peter Green was easily recognised as one of the top 5 guitar players in the UK (or Europe) when he started Fleetwood Mac. Any drummer on the scene would happily have joined the band. Ever heard of John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers?

Last edited by dino; 05-04-2010 at 11:39 AM..
Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post

Peter Green was easily recognised as one of the top 5 guitar players in the UK (or Europe) when he started Fleetwood Mac. Any drummer on the scene would happily have joined the band. Ever heard of John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers?
Kudos to you Dino for reminding us all of that fact. Also, would PG have used Mick and John for his rhythm section if he didn't have the utmost respect for them? I think not.