Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Opening Acts

Who were your favorite opening acts for a Fleetwood Mac tour?

I really loved Squeeze opening for them on the Behind The Mask Tour. I enjoyed the Cruzados opening for the Shake The Cage Tour (TITN).

And for Stevie solo (The Wild Heart Tour), Joe Walsh rocked it.

Last edited by Richard B; 03-19-2006 at 04:42 PM..
Old 03-19-2006, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B
Who were your favorite opening acts for a Fleetwood Mac tour?

I really loved Squeeze opening for them on the Behind The Mask Tour. I enjoyed the Cruzados opening for the Shake The Cage Tour (TITN).

And for Stevie solo, Joe Walsh rocked it.
The only opening acts I ever liked for Fleetwood were Squeeze, as you say, & T-Bone Burnette back in San Antonio (who was like Lindsey Buckingham that year). Squeeze was just a great pop-rock band, the kind of quality in pop-rock that Fleetwood Mac also aspired to & generally reached in those days. Both bands were critics' pets in their heyday. In fact, Squeeze was a hell of a lot more interesting as a pop band by 1990 than Fleetwood Mac was. There was more rich idiosyncrasy in Squeeze's 40-minute set than in the whole two-hour Fleetwood Mac set, which lumbered along like an elephant crossing the Pyrenees. Slow & steady did not win the race that night.

There were some opening acts that I *would* have liked had I seen a concert with them -- like Bob Welch -- but Bob didn't open for Fleetwood in California. The 1978 summer tour he opened for the band didn't ever hit CA, oddly & unfortunately, but he opened for them in Dallas & Philadelphia & Cleveland & Buffalo & several other big stadiums.

In Stevie's case, I really liked John Stewart (who cracked on opening night I believe about Stevie & her broomstick), but that's about all. The others I didn't really care about: Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton, Hooters, the Bon Jovi ripoff in 1991, Darden Smith, etc. Although now that I think about it, I loved hearing a slowed down, sexy "Lowdown" by Boz Scaggs in 1998.

There was another act instead of Frampton who opened for some of the Rock a Little shows back east, but I can't remember who it was. I don't remember its being anyone special at all.

moviekinks.blogspot.com

Last edited by David; 03-19-2006 at 01:14 PM..
Old 03-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I left the show with Men at Work, as a new Men at Work fan.
Hey!, I was a kid.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The only opening acts I ever liked for Fleetwood were Squeeze, as you say, & T-Bone Burnette back in San Antonio (who was like Lindsey Buckingham that year). Squeeze was just a great pop-rock band, the kind of quality in pop-rock that Fleetwood Mac also aspired to & generally reached in those days. Both bands were critics' pets in their heyday. In fact, Squeeze was a hell of a lot more interesting as a pop band by 1990 than Fleetwood Mac was. There was more rich idiosyncrasy in Squeeze's 40-minute set than in the whole two-hour Fleetwood Mac set, which lumbered along like an elephant crossing the Pyrenees. Slow & steady did not win the race that night.

There were some opening acts that I *would* have liked had I seen a concert with them -- like Bob Welch -- but Bob didn't open for Fleetwood in California. The 1978 summer tour he opened for the band didn't ever hit CA, oddly & unfortunately, but he opened for them in Dallas & Philadelphia & Cleveland & Buffalo & several other big stadiums.

In Stevie's case, I really liked John Stewart (who cracked on opening night I believe about Stevie & her broomstick), but that's about all. The others I didn't really care about: Joe Walsh, Peter Frampton, Hooters, the Bon Jovi ripoff in 1991, Darden Smith, etc. Although now that I think about it, I loved hearing a slowed down, sexy "Lowdown" by Boz Scaggs in 1998.

There was another act instead of Frampton who opened for some of the Rock a Little shows back east, but I can't remember who it was. I don't remember its being anyone special at all.
I was a too young to see John Stewart for the White-Winged Dove Tour. I like his albums though...although I heard he is a huge a-hole.

Who was the Bon Jovi wannabe? I forgot his name. Boz blows. Frampton failed to entertain. Hooters were horrible.

I think Welch would have been a great opener.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow My fave...

My favorite was the one on the SYW tour.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
You mean that 20-man, anonymous-sounding band that played "The Chain"?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmm, I wouldnt have minded seeing Christopher Cross on Tusk, but I really enjoyed Boz Scaggs on the Enchanted tour.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
Hmm, I wouldnt have minded seeing Christopher Cross on Tusk, but I really enjoyed Boz Scaggs on the Enchanted tour.
I did, and all I wanted to hear was "Ride Like the Wind". Guess what song he played while I was stuck outside in the concession lines?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I did, and all I wanted to hear was "Ride Like the Wind". Guess what song he played while I was stuck outside in the concession lines?
You were at the enchanted show there huh? Well I'm sure you were buying hot chocolate becasue of how friggin cold it was!!! I'm sure you remnember.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMn
You were at the enchanted show there huh? Well I'm sure you were buying hot chocolate becasue of how friggin cold it was!!! I'm sure you remnember.
I was sick as a dog, and was going to the show with my older cousin. Mom didn't want to let me go, being sick, but I INSISTED that I HAD to go!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was sick as a dog, and was going to the show with my older cousin. Mom didn't want to let me go, being sick, but I INSISTED that I HAD to go!!!!!!
I'll bet the codl didnt help. I remember the Dance show the previous October there the weather was beautiful!! Go figure!! BTW, that place, whatever its called now, is my favorite outdoor venue I've ever been to.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christopher Cross was a bore & a half at the Hollywood Bowl. The only cool thing was that Nicolette Larson came out & sang with his band. She was dressed in a long, flowing dress & her hair was Pre-Raphaelite & she played a tambourine -- so it was a little "Stevie" before Stevie came out. They did do a Nicolette song: Lotta Love.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 03-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That would have been cool to see Christopher Cross and Nicolette Larsen as a bonus! I always loved that song Lotta Love.

I really enjoyed Boz Scaggs for Enchanted. I even went out and bought his Greatest Hits soon after and still enjoy it to this day!
Old 03-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847
Yeah, that one was my fav too. I have seen a lot and remember none.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Ledgie

For me, Jeffrey Gaines on TISL tour has been the only opening act I've seen, but I loved him. I'm now a big fan--I own all his albums and have seen him in concert.

Adam