The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-20-2017, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
you never know, he does know some fans from just seeing them over and over from the stage. but yeah, 2007 was long time ago!
Vegas was 2007

2008 and 2009 were Seattle
Old 07-20-2017, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Your enthusiasm for this tour is infectious. I am sorry I gave a bad review earlier in their tour and that my words had a domino effect. If they add another local show I would like to go. After all, these are my people and I love their new songs. They deserve our support.
very nice, thanks for saying that. but yeah, you didn't see their show so you couldn't really give a review. glad you changed your mind about trying to see it after all - there's NYC show on Aug 10th and Bethlehem on Aug 11, i think those are easily driveable from where you are?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 07-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Vegas was 2007

2008 and 2009 were Seattle
you my friend are really slacking on LB shows! you do know he also toured in 2011 and 2012?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you my friend are really slacking on LB shows! you do know he also toured in 2011 and 2012?
yep. reflects my schedule
Old 07-20-2017, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok I *think* I've loaded most of the relevant videos. You'll need to go back through and find the videos for each song in the post that was made during that song in the show.

I hope they sound good for most people; when I listen on my desktop with my Bose speakers it sounds amazingly like you are there. When I listen on my laptop with just its little speaker they sound quite tinny.

Her voice could be rather pitchy across the show. Some songs I thought she sounded great, like Red Sun and then others really bad like You Make Loving Fun.

I thought he sounded great on his acoustic numbers, but his harmonies with her were pretty rough.

I'll be curious what others think of this show from the videos.

Enjoy.

edited to add: I have the band intros as well, but didn't know that anyone really cares to see those.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 07-20-2017 at 07:31 PM..
Old 07-20-2017, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Red Sun. I'm right in front of speakers. The harmonies are a bit off. Especially him. But great energy! Fake oooh oooh oooh.

Ok, here's the thing with this one-- I did NOT KNOW I was recording this. I was not INTENDING to record this. However, being the doof I am, with the phone in my hand as I was waving my hands all over and embarrassing myself bopping around, I clearly hit the record button. I am including it here because you can clearly hear the vocals on Red Sun, and I think the audio addresses some of the discussions that have been going on about the quality of her vocals during shows. I think she sounds terrific, very on-key. I think he does NOT sound as good... And he seems to be so much louder in the mix, and I wish he wasn't. It's her song and I would have preferred to hear her voice louder than his.

This was followed by You Make Loving Fun, which she really seemed to struggle with. It's painful at the start. (I think I stayed on Brett for so long coz I was intrigued to try and figure out which keyboard part he was playing and if he was playing more than her).
ohh this is really interesting to hear from that speaker / filtered through your phone! what i'm going to say you need to take with a perspective that all 3 shows i was right in the middle between speakers, so sounds filtered can be different.

so i can tell you that at the first show i've seen, he did not sing at all with her on Red Sun verses. she sang alone, and skipped half of them. if you mentally filter his harmonies out on your recording, she is mostly singing the whole verse now, but at the times she goes pitchy she just skips some little parts. at my 2nd show, he sang the main melody with her, but really quietly. so there were some verses there but not complete. she barely sang, at my 3rd show (they performed another show in between), they kinda sang similarly to your recording - she main melody he harmonies, except you did not hear him louder - wonder whether that was a fluke (like his mic was set too loud) or that is just the way speaker in front of you and/or your phone filtered it. when i record with certain cameras i can hear nothing but bass or drums on my recordings while with other cameras you can hear the whole spectrum of sounds. happy to say that her main melody sounds much better now than at my shows!! so by august they should have it down perfectly!!

Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'll be curious what others think of this show from the videos. Enjoy.
Well so far I can tell you that I loved the Red Rover video. You made excuses for your filming but I'd say you did a wonderful job and your device records beautifully. Thank you.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
edited to add: I have the band intros as well, but didn't know that anyone really cares to see those.
don't see them on your youtube site?

Old 07-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
ohh this is really interesting to hear from that speaker / filtered through your phone! what i'm going to say you need to take with a perspective that all 3 shows i was right in the middle between speakers, so sounds filtered can be different.

so i can tell you that at the first show i've seen, he did not sing at all with her on Red Sun verses. she sang alone, and skipped half of them. if you mentally filter his harmonies out on your recording, she is mostly singing the whole verse now, but at the times she goes pitchy she just skips some little parts. at my 2nd show, he sang the main melody with her, but really quietly. so there were some verses there but not complete. she barely sang, at my 3rd show (they performed another show in between), they kinda sang similarly to your recording - she main melody he harmonies, except you did not hear him louder - wonder whether that was a fluke (like his mic was set too loud) or that is just the way speaker in front of you and/or your phone filtered it. when i record with certain cameras i can hear nothing but bass or drums on my recordings while with other cameras you can hear the whole spectrum of sounds. happy to say that her main melody sounds much better now than at my shows!! so by august they should have it down perfectly!!
it definitely wasn't the phone, because that's how it sounded in person as well. So if anything it could have been the speakers. There were two side by side sitting on the stage and because he was so much louder it was hard to tell but it seemed like maybe one speaker was off his mic and one off hers...?

Like I mentioned earlier he seemed mixed very up front in the mix last night, and too loud-- even when he spoke between songs he was so loud that it distorted his voice.

You'd think they'd be traveling with their own sound mixer and not using locals at each show, but...
Old 07-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
don't see them on your youtube site?
no, haven't posted so far. wasn't sure anyone wanted to see them.

I can post them later.....I've been mucking around with these damned things all afternoon...... I need a break from them for a bit!
Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like I mentioned earlier he seemed mixed very up front in the mix last night, and too loud-- even when he spoke between songs he was so loud that it distorted his voice.

You'd think they'd be traveling with their own sound mixer and not using locals at each show, but...
you would! even on those OMS shows when he travelled with bare minimum he had a sound guy with him. hope it gets better on the next 4 shows! still, glad you enjoyed it and found time to record and report all that in between!!

Old 07-20-2017, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Well so far I can tell you that I loved the Red Rover video. You made excuses for your filming but I'd say you did a wonderful job and your device records beautifully. Thank you.
Red Rover videos came from elle. I posted some pre recorded audio that was playing before BuckVie came onstage that I couldn't recognize, and elle thought it might be RR. I'm not sure.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
you would! even on those OMS shows when he travelled with bare minimum he had a sound guy with him. hope it gets better on the next 4 shows! still, glad you enjoyed it and found time to record and report all that in between!!
I'm not saying they are using locals, I would definitely think he travels with his own person. But then it raises the question about why so much seeming variability between shows??

The videos from our seats should give you a better sense of the overall mixed sound.. we were in the middle and not too far back but far enough (maybe like 20 rows) so that we were getting sound from all directions.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

His vocal on Little Lies were rather rough also