User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
lol. i've been trying to listen to it to see whether that will change my opinion.... now it's not just that i don't like it, now i can't stand it! i even went back to listen To Her Door (LB's song with EOTS) and even that one is not sounding so bad anymore but nothing's helping this one.
Wow, elle, I know how much you wanted new music, so I'm hoping the rest of the album is more pleasing to you!

I actually love the song. It's very catchy. I am just REALLY annoyed that Christine isn't singing or even probably playing on it. (And no, her voice has not been mixed down or altered--she's just not on it.) How much effort would it have taken to layer her vocals into the chorus? And doing so would have made a very good song even more compelling! The fact that she wasn't tells me LB is being his by-now typically isolated, unbendable self. Like I said, the song is very good. But can I believe any of the duo's comments about their magical collaboration when he doesn't invite her to appear on the LEAD SINGLE?!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Wow, elle, I know how much you wanted new music, so I'm hoping the rest of the album is more pleasing to you!

I actually love the song. It's very catchy. I am just REALLY annoyed that Christine isn't singing or even probably playing on it. (And no, her voice has not been mixed down or altered--she's just not on it.) How much effort would it have taken to layer her vocals into the chorus? And doing so would have made a very good song even more compelling! The fact that she wasn't tells me LB is being his by-now typically isolated, unbendable self. Like I said, the song is very good. But can I believe any of the duo's comments about their magical collaboration when he doesn't invite her to appear on the LEAD SINGLE?!
I'm sure it wasn't written as a "lead single" nor was it necessarily up to him which song was chosen.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I'm sure it wasn't written as a "lead single" nor was it necessarily up to him which song was chosen.
That's a good point. Still, whether it was meant to be an album track or lead single, Christine should be on it. And she should be on it in a prominent way. And the fact that this is being touted as a collaboration necessitates this.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:51 AM
Ledgie

I hope it's the 'Oh, Diane' of the album.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanJT View Post
I hope it's the 'Oh, Diane' of the album.
Haha! Yes!
Old 04-17-2017, 09:39 AM
Senior Ledgie

After repeated listenings, I've figured out what it is that I don't like about In My World. It's that repetitive triple guitar strum that's at the end of every single line of the verses. As far as I can tell, it's the same chord EVERY SINGLE STRUM, which means you hear it twelve times in each verse. And that ends up overwhelming the rest of the song; it's the only thing you remember after the song's over. And even that wouldn't be so bad -- every pop song needs a hook, after all -- but it's not even a pleasant-sounding chord: it's a group of notes that, strummed together, sound "unfinished." (I'm sure there's a technial term for this, but I'm not a musician.) It seems like a small thing, but for me it turns the song from a decent but unspectacular pop song to an annoying-sounding mess that I'm sorta glad when it ends.

My hope is that the label only chose this as the single because the lyrics might be interpreted as being about Stevie, playing into the drama that some people find appealing. In any case, I've been waiting for this album for years and I hope I like the other songs better.
Old 04-17-2017, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB View Post
After repeated listenings, I've figured out what it is that I don't like about In My World. It's that repetitive triple guitar strum that's at the end of every single line of the verses. As far as I can tell, it's the same chord EVERY SINGLE STRUM, which means you hear it twelve times in each verse. And that ends up overwhelming the rest of the song; it's the only thing you remember after the song's over. And even that wouldn't be so bad -- every pop song needs a hook, after all -- but it's not even a pleasant-sounding chord: it's a group of notes that, strummed together, sound "unfinished." (I'm sure there's a technial term for this, but I'm not a musician.) It seems like a small thing, but for me it turns the song from a decent but unspectacular pop song to an annoying-sounding mess that I'm sorta glad when it ends.

My hope is that the label only chose this as the single because the lyrics might be interpreted as being about Stevie, playing into the drama that some people find appealing. In any case, I've been waiting for this album for years and I hope I like the other songs better.
I agree that the song is highly repetitive, but I seriously doubt that the record label is "playing into the drama".
Old 04-17-2017, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

What you're referring to is dissonance.. or clashing notes. And this too is what irritates me so much about this as well. When done tastefully, it can sound interesting - pretty even. But this gets on my last nerve!
Old 04-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Run View Post
As a 21 year ledgie....Let me say Christ on a Stick people, do you all way over analyze, emote, and complain. 70 year old musicians are creating new music. Be happy your favorite group not only is upright but some of its members are capable of actually making new, well crafted pop songs. It is a catchy, fun melody, with some pointed lyrics. Enjoy. You all are not going to get too much more new music from these folks.

57 year old Ledgie says thank you..
Old 04-17-2017, 01:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The song to me is typical Lindsey. Tight and creative production, with something new in every listen, really interesting. However, the song itself is a poor wisp of a thing, very simple repetitive melody and ho-hum lyrics. I never like his vocals, but would have given him a break on this if it had Chris and Stevie strongly blended into some lush harmonies. The album looks to me to be a SYW type of deal, with half Lindsey songs (mostly either annoying or dreary) with a scrap of Chris thrown in here and there, and half Chris songs, gorgeously produced by Lindsey. Let's see. The production here makes me curious.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say You Will View Post
57 year old Ledgie says thank you..
You're welcome!! I'm really digging this song. I went from love to like, now back to loving it.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, I'm not a musician, but isn't that lead instrument a keyboard? I hear a keyboard being played, not a guitar being strummed. And definitely at the end of the song some real electric piano comes in. I am ready to be corrected by one of you musicians, but when I first listened to this I thought, hey they are featuring Christine as a musician (not as a vocalist) on the first single.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
The song to me is typical Lindsey. Tight and creative production, with something new in every listen, really interesting. However, the song itself is a poor wisp of a thing, very simple repetitive melody and ho-hum lyrics. I never like his vocals, but would have given him a break on this if it had Chris and Stevie strongly blended into some lush harmonies. The album looks to me to be a SYW type of deal, with half Lindsey songs (mostly either annoying or dreary) with a scrap of Chris thrown in here and there, and half Chris songs, gorgeously produced by Lindsey. Let's see. The production here makes me curious.
Except SYW didn't feature any co-writes. So that would make this album more collaborative than that one.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:33 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Okay, I'm not a musician, but isn't that lead instrument a keyboard? I hear a keyboard being played, not a guitar being strummed. And definitely at the end of the song some real electric piano comes in. I am ready to be corrected by one of you musicians, but when I first listened to this I thought, hey they are featuring Christine as a musician (not as a vocalist) on the first single.
I guess that's entirely possible. One of the things I've always liked about Buckingham's production style is that he seems to enjoy blurring the lines between musical elements: using one instrument to sound like another, or blending voices in a way that's hard to differentiate male from female. (Think of the songs where it takes a couple of listens to know which vocals are Christine's and which are Lindsey's.)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I guess that's entirely possible. One of the things I've always liked about Buckingham's production style is that he seems to enjoy blurring the lines between musical elements: using one instrument to sound like another, or blending voices in a way that's hard to differentiate male from female. (Think of the songs where it takes a couple of listens to know which vocals are Christine's and which are Lindsey's.)
I've been mocked. And rightfully so, however, I hear Christine's keys and vocals in the blend.