User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Silver Springs from The Dance

Silver Springs from The Dance...

I just love this song, this version of the song. So soft yet full of power. Great harmonies and vocals, one of the reasons I love Fleetwood Mac.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Not only is Silver Springs my favourite Fleetwood Mac song, but this version is my all time favourite. Adore how it begins somewhat slowly, only to pick up pace until it gathers itself up into a glorious crescendo at the end. To me it's the musical equivelant of fireworks, and no feeling I ever had about an FM song will ever compare to how breathless and awed I was at this version the first time I saw it on the DVD. I fell in deep love.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacShadowsBall View Post
Silver Springs from The Dance...

I just love this song, this version of the song. So soft yet full of power. Great harmonies and vocals, one of the reasons I love Fleetwood Mac.
Ahhh, this is the first thing I ever obsessed about to do with Fleetwood Mac. It never fails to make my heart race. Stevie practically screams the last part at Lindsey, and almost tears the mike from the stand. Christine is just staring from her keyboard. It is so powerful, I think a lot of the anger from not having it on Rumours, (though she was probably over it by then) and not being able to put it on Timespace finally boiled over for Stevie and she probably said, 'Okay, I'm gonna sing the living **** out of this song... take that!'

It appears that Linds has to leave the stage after the last line for a second, I can't really tell.

I watched it with my friend and after he was like, 'What just happened?' I said, 'I can't really explain it to you, it's a Lindsey/Stevie thing'
Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Geez...Nicksy practically castrated him out there. Anyways, does anyone know of the version where she starts crying and Lindsey has to finish singing it for her?

You can add me on Facebook
Old 11-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
Geez...Nicksy practically castrated him out there. Anyways, does anyone know of the version where she starts crying and Lindsey has to finish singing it for her?
I have that version on my iPod. It would be a million times better if it were a video, of course though.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I have that version on my iPod. It would be a million times better if it were a video, of course though.
Bee, do you think you could PM me a MP3 of that version please?

You can add me on Facebook
Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyLoki View Post
Bee, do you think you could PM me a MP3 of that version please?
No problemo
Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Screw it. It'll be passed around anyway lol.

Lindsey finishes Silver Springs - http://www.mediafire.com/?544ue3qb44434s9

Enjoy!

Last edited by Silver Springs; 11-03-2010 at 08:28 PM..
Old 11-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember when I first watched The Dance. I'd been listening to the Mac since I was 7 (1977) and by 1997 I thought their days were pretty much over. I watched the show, was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the first half of it, particularly with "Temporary One" and "Bleed to Love Her," but wasn't outright blown away.

But when Stevie began singing Silver Springs I nearly **** myself. Her voice was in perfect form! The band sounded great backing her, and Christine's harmonies were fantastic (she retained her top range). When I saw Stevie turn to Lindsey and rip his face off, I jumped out of my seat and yelled "Yes! Yes!!!!!"
Old 11-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I remember when I first watched The Dance. I'd been listening to the Mac since I was 7 (1977) and by 1997 I thought their days were pretty much over. I watched the show, was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the first half of it, particularly with "Temporary One" and "Bleed to Love Her," but wasn't outright blown away.

But when Stevie began singing Silver Springs I nearly **** myself. Her voice was in perfect form! The band sounded great backing her, and Christine's harmonies were fantastic (she retained her top range). When I saw Stevie turn to Lindsey and rip his face off, I jumped out of my seat and yelled "Yes! Yes!!!!!"
I had the same response, though I'd only been following Fleetwood Mac since '93 when I was 11. For those of us who were Rumours era Mac fans in the early/mid '90s, it really did seem like Hell would freeze over before we'd see those 5 people together again. Then it indeed happened, and we all peed our pants a little.

Much like you, I was rather blah regarding the first several songs. Dreams wasn't so hot in my opinion... it sounded like a lounge band does Fleetwood Mac. Stevie's voice just sounded so... different on much of the songs on The Dance too. But the passion on Gold Dust and Silver Springs really blew my socks off, and probably caused me to lose bowel control in the process.

It's interesting, I never watch the Dance anymore... so just seeing Silver Springs here is like such a time machine. It just really takes me back to being a dorky kid in high school who idolized this dinosaur band which couldn't have been less cool at the time . Hard to believe the Dance was almost a decade and a half ago now!
Old 11-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Just saw this article about rejected songs. It's from last year, but since SS was being discussed and I didn't see it posted before, I thought I'd put up the FM excerpt]

Yahoo, NME Music Blog 11-28-2009, by Luke Lewis
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/new...d-from-albums/

Tell a certain kind of serious-minded music fan that Fleetwood Mac's Rumours isn't perfect, and he'll give you an uppercut to the jaw. And he'd be right to. I love that album more than is probably healthy. Yet even a tragic Fleetwood Mac nerd like me would admit that it could have been better.

This morning, during a rain-lashed trudge to work, "Oh Daddy"came on my iPod--the closest thing Rumours has to a filler track--and I thought, "What, you included this, yet you rejected Stevie Nicks' astonishing, hymn-like ballad 'Silver Springs,' a song that positively bellows: Rousing Album-Closer?"
Fortunately, that song was rescued from obscurity when it was included on the 2004 reissue. It's now a live favorite. But it makes you wonder what on earth was going through the band's coke- and heartbreak-addled minds back in 1977. It also set me thinking about other
Old 11-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
[Just saw this article about rejected songs. It's from last year, but since SS was being discussed and I didn't see it posted before, I thought I'd put up the FM excerpt]

Yahoo, NME Music Blog 11-28-2009, by Luke Lewis
http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/new...d-from-albums/

Tell a certain kind of serious-minded music fan that Fleetwood Mac's Rumours isn't perfect, and he'll give you an uppercut to the jaw. And he'd be right to. I love that album more than is probably healthy. Yet even a tragic Fleetwood Mac nerd like me would admit that it could have been better.

This morning, during a rain-lashed trudge to work, "Oh Daddy"came on my iPod--the closest thing Rumours has to a filler track--and I thought, "What, you included this, yet you rejected Stevie Nicks' astonishing, hymn-like ballad 'Silver Springs,' a song that positively bellows: Rousing Album-Closer?"
Fortunately, that song was rescued from obscurity when it was included on the 2004 reissue. It's now a live favorite. But it makes you wonder what on earth was going through the band's coke- and heartbreak-addled minds back in 1977. It also set me thinking about other
I just don't understand all the universal hatred for Oh Daddy. I think it's Christine's Gold Dust Woman. It's gorgeous and ethereal. To me, the one filler song on Rumours is I Don't Want To Know. I love it, it's fun and foot tapping, always makes me smile... but it's pop fluff. While I adore Silver Springs, I think Mick was right to pull it... it was just too long, heavy, and didn't necessarily lay well with the other Rumours tracks.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I just don't understand all the universal hatred for Oh Daddy.
Count me as part of the universe. Thought I had dodged a bullet when this wasn't on the Dance DVD then I get to the concert and There. It. Is.

Tragic, surprise. How do you make a decision like that? We are going to dump Over My Head and put Oh Daddy in its place. Yeah, who does this?

Michele

Last edited by michelej1; 11-03-2010 at 09:59 PM..
Old 11-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Count me as part of the universe. Thought I had dodged a bullet when this wasn't on the Dance DVD then I get to the concert and There. It. Is.

Tragic, surprise. How do you make a decision like that? We are going to dump Over My Head and put Oh Daddy in its place. Yeah, who does this?

Michele
That 1997 version of "Over My Head" was worth dropping in my opinion anyway. Compared to the earlier versions (see the 1980 live album, I believe that one is from 1977 and is a great version), the Dance DVD version is beyond boring!
Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I just don't understand all the universal hatred for Oh Daddy. I think it's Christine's Gold Dust Woman. It's gorgeous and ethereal. To me, the one filler song on Rumours is I Don't Want To Know. I love it, it's fun and foot tapping, always makes me smile... but it's pop fluff. While I adore Silver Springs, I think Mick was right to pull it... it was just too long, heavy, and didn't necessarily lay well with the other Rumours tracks.
I agree about "Oh Daddy," it's a favorite Christine song of mine though I admit it has grown on me a lot over the years. I could see people not really LOVING it, but I never could get the hatred that is out there for it. There are some other stinkers Chris has (count me amongst those that think "Only Over You" is one of the crappiest tunes Chris ever put on an album) which would get my hate vote long before "Oh Daddy."