Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-19-2004, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default "At Last" Stormy Weather 01

I discovered this song last friday, and WOW, i just have to share this with everyone. What a fabulous song! I was so surprised at how fabulous Stevie's voice sounded with this kind of song!
Old 04-19-2004, 09:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Oooooh, you smiled......YOU SMILED.....oh and then the spell was cast.....For you are miiine...........AT LAAAAAAAAAAAAAST!!!!!!!!!!!........ooooooo yeah!"
She kicks this song's A$$!!!!!
I have loved loved loved her version.
Yeah, you tell me that woman can't rip into a song!!!!

Stephanie

He fell for her again...she watched it happen...every day...day by day...but MORE important...NIGHT BY NIGHT!!--Thrown Down
Old 04-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know!! I was in absolute shock when i heard it! I was driving home at like 8pm Friday night and i was blown away... Just when you think you've heard Stevie sing all different songs and know what her voice can do.. BANG she throws you for a six and "at last" comes out!

HAD TO SHARE
Old 04-20-2004, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know, I love it, it's great.

(BTW, this thread probably belongs on the Stevie forum. )

- Jake
Old 04-20-2004, 01:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklinensuit

(BTW, this thread probably belongs on the Stevie forum. )

- Jake
Yes i realised that after i posted it, i seem to only go on the Rumours page and only clicked after i had read Stephanie's post...

Dont hurt me jake
Old 04-20-2004, 09:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

I went to that show! Stevie sounded wonderful. I was a little worried about how she would do because she was kinda coming back into the scene around that time and she would be performing along with many women that have excellent voices, but she came off so well. She recieved the loudest aplause out of any of them. You could really feel how much everyone loved her.

~CH~
Old 04-20-2004, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was thinking of starting this same thread, because I too just finally heard this song after hearing about it for so long! I could go on and on, but I think I'll just condense it down to Holy Sh*t!
Old 04-21-2004, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryHour
I was thinking of starting this same thread, because I too just finally heard this song after hearing about it for so long! I could go on and on, but I think I'll just condense it down to Holy Sh*t!
I'd never heard anyone talk about it, but im new on these fan chats, and i also didn't recognize the song, which is why i didn't listen to it till last friday even though i had downloaded it on Jan 20th!!

What a wonderful surprise it was
Old 04-22-2004, 11:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was startled when I heard this for the first time (but not surprised). It was so exciting when Stevie first "got her voice back". I remember reading in the local LA papers how the crowd at the Wiltern Theater stood up for a long ovation for Stevie when she finished the song. I think she converted a lot of skeptics that night in LA.

It kind of makes me wonder if she could pull off an album of standards the way Joni Mitchell did a few years ago. Maybe not, but I think she should keep "At Last" up her sleeve and roll it out every once in a while as a surprise. She really is a terrific singer - whether or not you're a fan of her songs. I wish more people could hear this - and I wonder why it was never broadcast on TV - for some reason I remember hearing it was filmed/taped.

You kind of get the impression that she took her rehearsals for this really seriously - sort of the way Silver Springs rolled out of her throat for the Dance taping. Very studied, very careful, but oh so perfect. If I were the kind of guy who used sports metaphors, I'd say she hit this one out of the park.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll never forget when my friends mother had that cd and gave it to me. That was 1999 right? Or 98? I don't remember. But what a great song. It's like Somebody Stand By Me, she does those "torch" songs very well.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown
I remember reading in the local LA papers how the crowd at the Wiltern Theater stood up for a long ovation for Stevie when she finished the song.
She got a standing ovation after "Sunday Kind of Love" at the last Stormy Weather, too. I would guess that most people were there to see Joni Mitchell or the country ladies (Trisha, Reba)... but Stevie clearly impressed the crowd!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlookdown
and I wonder why it was never broadcast on TV - for some reason I remember hearing it was filmed/taped.
I spoke with a woman from the Walden Woods Project who had a hand in organizing both benefits. When I asked if we could expect a release on cd/dvd, she said a cd was doubtful, and a video was absolutely out of the question. Then she laughed and said she didn't even know why they filmed them. They had a really difficult time getting the ok from each artist's record company for the AT&T cd, and didn't want to bother going through that again and finding a way to release it. It's a shame lots of great performances from both benefits... I would think a dvd of either one could have sold pretty well and raised a lot of additional money for the cause.