The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-06-2003, 03:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Post Tour Set List - What Will They Play?

While we’re all sitting here waiting (impatiently!) for tour dates, let’s speculate on what we think the concert set list will be like. This isn’t a “what you want them to play” list…it’s a “what you think they will play” list.

Personally, I think they’ll stick with the usual stuff and a few new songs. I won’t completely rule out a surprise or two, but I think it will strongly resemble the setlist from The Dance:

The Chain
Dreams
Say You Will
I’m So Afraid
Gold Dust Woman
Peacekeeper
Thrown Down
Big Love
Go Insane
Landslide
Bleed To Love Her
Gypsy
Not That Funny (w/ Mick solo)
Silver Springs
Second Hand News
Tusk
Rhiannon
Don’t Stop
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
Sara
Say Goodbye

Of course, I’d love more new tunes or rarities, but with their touring history, I doubt we’ll get it. I don’t know if they’ll do more than 4 or 5 new ones on this tour. It would be nice if they would rotate them out at different shows, but…

I actually do understand why they feel they have to perform certain songs. If I were to go see, say, The Rolling Stones, there are certain songs that I would expect to hear – Honky Tonk Woman, Jumping Jack Flash, Satisfaction. Being a very casual fan of that band, I’d feel disappointed if I didn’t get to hear those. So I get why FM feels like they have to do Landslide, Rhiannon, etc. But wouldn’t it be nice to do a “fan tour” where we pick the setlist?

So what do you guys think they’ll give us? Remember – it’s not a wish list…it’s a realistic list.

Mike B.

Last edited by Mike B; 02-06-2003 at 03:53 PM..
Old 02-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think they'll play more new stuff than we anticipate, being as how Christine isn't around. As usual, they won't play them TOO early in the set, but will play three or so in a row, then get back to familiar ground, then play two or three new ones in a row later in the set...plus, I think that there'll be a couple of surprises from the Buckingham Nicks album. If they do more Christine songs than just "Don't Stop" I'll be And, if they do any material outside of Lindsey & Stevie's era I'll REALLY be !!!!

Mick said something in his "notes" about being a 2-1/2 hr show...that's about a half-hour longer than their "Dance" set.

The Chain
Dreams
Monday Morning
Gold Dust Woman
Bleed To Love Her
Gypsy
Steal Your Heart Away
Say You Will
Murrow
Smile At You
Never Going Back Again
Big Love
Landslide
Don't Let Me Down Again
Crying In The Night
Peacekeeper
Thrown Down
Red Rover
Tusk
Silver Springs
Not That Funny
Rhiannon
Don’t Stop
Go Your Own Way

Encore:
Sisters Of The Moon
Say Goodbye
Old 02-06-2003, 04:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

How do I mistrust what Mick says? Let me count the ways...
Old 02-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How do I mistrust what Mick says? Let me count the ways...

LMAO

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 02-06-2003, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In terms of money making you're right. To me there's a difference between a band relying on the past or doing its own revival thing and a band that regards itself as up to date or whatever you may call it. I never cared much about the RStones. Of course I knew a lot of their stuff by radio but it wasn't mine or I just heard the same songs on the radio too often. Then being at age of ca 48-50 they released Steel wheels and I became a fan. I liked it a lot and it still is one of my favorite albums. So I went to the live show. It was called "Steel wheels" tour in the US and "Urban jungle" in Europe and so the tour was to be understood as a support for the new album!!! They played a lot of this stuff and also older hits. O.K. I really don`t need to hear Satisfaction but there's a lot of other great great stuff so this way of doing the show was great. It was vital and full of power. The vodoo lounge tour 94 then suddenly only came up with ca 3 new songs and the rest was greatest hits for older people living in the past. 98 or whenever it was they were here again and I didn't go there anymore, because it was reported that it simply was a best of. I had absolutely no interest in that anymore!

Lou Reed did his "New York" tour in 89 with the complete new material. The older stuff then was in the second part of the show. But older stuff meant also the predecessor album and not only the "Take a walk on the wild site" and so on stuff. Wouldn`t have been his style. It was a matter of course/ self evidence to him. But it also showed his way of regarding himself and taking his own position as musician.

You're still doing your work and put out the music- then play it live. If you believe in your new work and in your live skills, then again- play it live. Sorry to say that but I heard certain songs of Fleetwood Mac`s live shows so many times, I don`t need to anymore. Let there be 5 or so hits that are inevitable for the mass. And do the rest with new stuff. Possibly you wouldn`t fill the huge arenas then, but smaller ones and so it wouldn`t be a commercial failure also. This talk about the political thing- I don`t agree.

The problem is this discussion about "new" music and "old" music. Some fans, who were young during the rumours time musically seem to stay in the past. Now I know there will be complaints so I have to express it precisely. My neighbour is 48 (me I`m 33) and all I hear from beneath is music from the early 80`s or before. Pink Floyd, Stones, Beatles... Music from his past with -as I suppose- personal memorys concerning his own private life. Which is absolutely allright but which shows that he is not interested in the current developments. People regarding music and groups/solo artists this way want the revival thing. You know this Pat Benatar comment from LB... It's like that. Of course there are many many "older" fans also that don`t fit into this characterisation. And these ones are around this board. So don`t feel offended. I just want to point out that a group like FM or other older artists should be able to attract somebody at age 20 and 30 the same way as somebody at age 55. It`s not a matter of age but of music and of personal musical taste. And if the new work is good, then why hide it beyond the past? Lindsey did a good job with his OOTC tour providing a good mix as he himself called it.

By the way- Christines absence makes the upcoming tour different than the dance anyway. Besides the loss it`s a very interesting opportunity!
Old 02-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i'm going to miss "everywhere." (i could seriously do without You Make Lovin' Fun and Don't Stop.)

i'm hoping they'll do a bunch of new stuff.. but i don't want to miss out on the old. my guess is that they'll jumble it up.. get us hooked & interested with the hits we know.. then play a couple new ones.. etc back & forth.

Sarah
Old 02-06-2003, 06:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Chili, your setlist makes my heart leap! I hope you're right on the money.

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan

You're still doing your work and put out the music- then play it live. If you believe in your new work and in your live skills, then again- play it live.
Exactly! I feel the same way. I'd love to see them play every song on the new album and a sampling of the hits. Or at least mix it up - pick ten tracks and play at least five at each show.

I keep thinking back to one of the TISL shows - after Stevie did Planets, she told us "It's hard to do new songs." And I know why. The energy in the crowd just came to a stand still when a new song started. People took the new songs as bathroom/beer breaks. Still, if you don't play the new songs, the crowd won't grow to love them.

Quote:
By the way- Christines absence makes the upcoming tour different than the dance anyway. Besides the loss it`s a very interesting opportunity!
It is, isn't it? It's hard coming up with a setlist for songs - Lindsey/Stevie/Lindsey/Stevie. That extra voice helped mix it up alot.

Mike B.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Tour song lineup

I think the line up will look something like this :-

Monday Morning
Say You Will
Dreams
Bleed To Love Her
Gold Dust Woman
Never Going Back Again
Big Love
Gypsy
Illume
Peacekeeper
Come
Silver Springs
Rhiannon
Tusk
Go Your Own Way

Encore:

The Chain
What's The World Coming To
Say Goodbye

I'd love Murrow Live but I think Lindsey will play Come instead, I've got a very good idea that this will happen.

Old 02-06-2003, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, I guess I just have this block against "Come". I'm sure they'll play it.

BUT!!! I think that they might forego "I'm So Afraid" and play "Murrow" instead...after all, they're virtually alike. I definitely don't think they'd play 'em BOTH.
Old 02-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
BUT!!! I think that they might forego "I'm So Afraid" and play "Murrow" instead...after all, they're virtually alike. I definitely don't think they'd play 'em BOTH.
How could I forget ISA?

I think maybe Murrow, with an extended solo may rotate with I'm So Afraid during the tour maybe.

I'll take what I'm given as long as they play the UK!

Old 02-06-2003, 10:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Chain
Thrown Down
Red Rover
Gold Dust Woman
I'm So Afraid
Illume
Big Love
Go Insane
Landslide
Say You Will
Bleed To Love Her
Rhiannon
Never Going Back Again (Full band)
Storms
Come

Go Your Own Way
Sisters Of The Moon
Say Goodbye

Old 02-06-2003, 11:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Do you guys really think they will haul out Sisters of the Moon? I mean I'd love to see it...I just always associate that with Stevie being all whacked out. Whatever they play I hope Stevie will bust out and "throw down" at least a little like she used to. I want to see her tear it up!! Maybe she can get hooked on something just for this tour that will bring out a little of the old Stevie!
Old 02-06-2003, 11:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I hope they have the confidence to play a large chunk of the new album. They certainly seem to be very excited about it. It won't happen in a million years, but I feel like songs like Dreams, Gold Dust Woman, Landslide and Rhiannon have become painfully redundant.

Yes, they are defining Stevie songs, but she has played them to death! I wish she would give them a rest. She has plenty of other signature songs...Gypsy, Sara, Sisters Of The Moon, Seven Wonders. Would you miss the well-worn hits and live classics for Crystal, I Don't Want To Know, Angel , or, in honor of them coming full circle back to a Buckingham Nicks situation, Frozen Love?

It must be have been very difficult to arrive at a balanced set list. Maybe that's why they seem very resistant to expand or radically change their set list. Since Fleetwood Mac as a democracy had three writers they needed to divide the set list up fairly, as well as consider what songs were expected to be performed.

Now without Christine, I hope they feel freer to come up with a few surprises. Don't they know we'll love and accept whatever they do????

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-07-2003 at 10:17 AM..
Old 02-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinHead
Yes, they are defining Stevie songs, but she has played them to death! I wish she would give them a rest. She has plenty of other signature songs...Gypsy, Sara, Sisters Of The Moon, Seven Wonders. Would you miss the well-worn hits and live classics for Crystal, I Don't Want To Know, Angel , or, in honor of them coming full circle back to a Buckingham Nicks situation, Frozen Love?
i would LOVE for them to bring out the acoustic version of gypsy.. sisters of the moon (with lindsey singing the "some call her sister of the moon, some say illusions.." etc. part like back in the DAY.) .. and angel is like, one of my favorite stevie songs, so, of course i'd like to hear that live.

i like your suggestions.. i was kind of thinking along those same lines. well, i like rhiannon, so i wouldn't can that.. but, personally, i think they should 86 the slow intro & just get it on like before.

Sarah
Old 02-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I know for the reunion "The Chain" was a great way tp start off shows, but now I think we need something fresh. They need to start off their show with a new song, something upbeat. I just hope we get a lot of new songs played and songs that we don't get to see usually performed - performed.