The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

BTW, am I the only straight guy here who's a little pissed that the GLBT community turned rainbows gay? I mean, now I have to explain to my kids that before ninteen eighty something, rainbows didn't mean you were gay, or were even bi-curious, whenever I show the pics of my youth. And then I have to explain bi-curious, and why they'll go to HELL if they even think about it. It's either that, or the OTHER two choices, which are make them watch "Philadelphia" until they're too scared to have sex OR just crush their self-esteem at an early age and make them feel overly self-consious for the rest of their lives. Oh sure, they'll have issuses, and will no doubt have to go through a lot of therapy. On second though, if I play that last card too hard, then they'll give it up to the first buck-tooth idiot they find. So, what I should do is make them watch "Philadelphia" AND crush their self-essteem early on, thus sending them the message that sex COULD be deadly, but honestly, nobody would want to have sex with you in the first place. Yeah, that will work. THAT'S good parenting. But, ONCE AGAIN, thanks gay community for making EVERYBODY else's job a litle more difficult.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
I should try to cultivate that rude and stubborn, yet not funny or deep thing that you have going.
Like it or not, there are actually people on this forum and others that appreciate my bluntness and sense of humor, even some Stevie fans. Just because it's lost on you doesn't mean that's the case for everyone.

And your telling me that I lack the knowledge or right to judge vocal abilities does not fall under the category of "banter." So don't feign innocence with me.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
BTW, am I the only straight guy here who's a little pissed that the GLBT community turned rainbows gay? I mean, now I have to explain to my kids that before ninteen eighty something, rainbows didn't mean you were gay, or were even bi-curious, whenever I show the pics of my youth. And then I have to explain bi-curious, and why they'll go to HELL if they even think about it. It's either that, or the OTHER two choices, which are make them watch "Philadelphia" until they're too scared to have sex OR just crush their self-esteem at an early age and make them feel overly self-consious for the rest of their lives. Oh sure, they'll have issuses, and will no doubt have to go through a lot of therapy. On second though, if I play that last card too hard, then they'll give it up to the first buck-tooth idiot they find. So, what I should do is make them watch "Philadelphia" AND crush their self-essteem early on, thus sending them the message that sex COULD be deadly, but honestly, nobody would want to have sex with you in the first place. Yeah, that will work. THAT'S good parenting. But, ONCE AGAIN, thanks gay community for making EVERYBODY else's job a litle more difficult.

It's time we took the rainbow back!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
BTW, am I the only straight guy here who's a little pissed that the GLBT community turned rainbows gay? I mean, now I have to explain to my kids that before ninteen eighty something, rainbows didn't mean you were gay, or were even bi-curious, whenever I show the pics of my youth. And then I have to explain bi-curious, and why they'll go to HELL if they even think about it.
Ah, but how are you going to explain that video you made in college? "Daddy was taking one for the team," just isn't gonna cut it, my man!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky
Like it or not, there are actually people on this forum and others that appreciate my bluntness and sense of humor, even some Stevie fans. Just because it's lost on you doesn't mean that's the case for everyone.

And your telling me that I lack the knowledge or right to judge vocal abilities does not fall under the category of "banter." So don't feign innocence with me.
lighten up. You dissed Stevie, I was kidding around with you, and my innocence is not feigned. Just because you're so serious and staid doesn't mean everyone is. What the heck did you expect when you said she couldn't sing? And then you get all mad when someone answers (with laughing emoticons, I may add)?
I'm sure there are people that like you, I never said otherwise. Your sense of humour isn't lost on me, It's just not clever and playful like I enjoy, it's mean and thudding like I think is very easy and obvious. Oh, wait, I guess it is lost on me. Just like you can't seem to understand my "rambling".
So don't feign innocence that you didn't expect a reaction by saying that Stevie can't sing. Oh, unless you are mentally deficient, then I might buy that. But I don't think you are.
And, if you really think Stevie "can't sing", in all seriousness, then I am now questioning your knowledge basis for judging vocal abilities. Does that make you happy? Gosh, I hope so, that would be at least one time you are happy this decade. Sorry, I'm just not much of a lumpy sour pants.

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 04-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Ah, but how are you going to explain that video you made in college? "Daddy was taking one for the team," just isn't gonna cut it, my man!
Hey, I was the only person in that Fleetwood Mac tribute band who could even remotely sing like... All I'm saying is that SOMEBODY had to sing "Rhiannon," and, honestly, the chiffon really did a great job of covering up my then large arse.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-21-2006, 11:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
What the heck did you expect when you said she couldn't sing?
My original post was in response to one by Michael (Foxyluva), who has been having true "banter" with me about our respective musical tastes both here and on SevenWonders.

I certainly did not expect to find you posting in the "Post-Rumours" forum.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
My original post was in response to one by Michael (Foxyluva), who has been having true "banter" with me about our respective musical tastes both here and on SevenWonders.

I certainly did not expect to find you posting in the "Post-Rumours" forum.
Not my fault. No way for me to know that you only wanted one person to read and respond to your replies, or banter with you. I do think it's funny that two people say the same thing, and you only get mad at one. Sounds personal, which is why I thought your aggression was funny, because it so obviously was personal, rather than relating to the actual content of what I said. Especially when you take into account my use of the smiley, and the fact that we both already know you don't like Stevie and I do.
Just because I don't know much about post rumours, doesn't mean that I'm never interested. I read a lot of things.
Anyway, you obviously don't like me, I'm sure if I said "I love phil collins more than anyone, and the Time lineup is my favorite" you'd still have a problem. Which is probably why you might want to put me on ignore. I mean, why read posts from someone you hate no matter what they say? Just so you can yell at them for no reason?
But honestly, I'm really not that invested in this, it just seems strange and absurd to me. I certainly don't want people yelling at me that I'm just trying to banter with! I was just trying to have a good time, not offend you. If you love bluntness so much, I'm suprised you took offense at all. I mean, I was trying to kid around, but either way I'm suprised you took offense, you valueing honesty and bluntness so highly.
So take care

Last edited by amber; 04-21-2006 at 11:19 PM..
Old 04-21-2006, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay... you maintain that your posts are just friendly banter. Obviously, your sense of humor is as lost on me as mine is on you. Take this quote for example:

Quote:
Also, people who rile people just for the sake of riling them piss me off. Isn't there enough to argue about/debate without that? There certainly is for me. Plus, sadism is ugly in people.
Smiley faces not withstanding, I fail to see how this could in any way, shape, or form be construed as a joke.

Also, back to your implication that I might be speaking out of ignorance, I'd like to point out that while I am a former Stevie fan and am pretty well versed in her career, you - by your own admission - know nothing of Bekka's

Quote:
I'm not really familiar with Bekka, thanks for the info. I have nothing against her, I'm sure she's outstanding, I would just never like anyone's voice as well as Stevie's. I don't love it, I'm in love with it.
And who is it again that has no right to compare their vocal abilities?

Last edited by Miss Vicky; 04-21-2006 at 11:24 PM..
Old 04-21-2006, 11:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Okay... you maintain that your posts are just friendly banter. Obviously, your sense of humor is as lost on me as mine is on you. Take this quote for example:

Smiley faces not withstanding, I fail to see how this could in any way, shape, or form be construed as a joke.

Also, back to your implication that I might be speaking out of ignorance, I'd like to point out that while I am a former Stevie fan and am pretty well versed in her career, you admittedly, know nothing of Bekka's

And who is it again that has no right to compare their vocal abilities?
Whatever Vicky. Apparently it's okay for you to be blunt and rude in your jokes, but no one else? Do you expect people to love everything you say and agree with it?
And it's not my fault if you don't find that humorous. And you seem to be missing my point (is it too rambling?) that you don't like me, and so therefore look for things to find offense at, ie, anything I say.
I told you I wasn't trying to offend you, so just let it go.
And I wasn't comparing Bekka and Stevie, I was countering your statement that Stevie can't sing, or rather that the diff between Bekka and Stevie is that Bekka can sing (which obviously implies Stevie can't), to be exact. And then I said I wouldn't ever like anyone's voice as well as Stevie's, and never did I comment at all on bekka's voice, except to say "I'm sure she's outstanding, but..."
Sorry to blow holes in your theory, or to take away one of your reasons to try to argue with me and be mad at me. And if you are well versed in Stevie's career and still think she can't sing (notice again I make no mention of bekka, I'm only talking of Stevie) then I still think you must not have a good ear. I think even her worst critic would still acknowledge that she can sing, in fact I believe some of her worst critics have.

Sheesh. I try to come to read what SteveMacD says, cause he's hella funny, and to read a review, and to try to joke around, and I get pounced on by someone who likes to be rude for the sake of amusing herself. Great.
I wasn't trying to offend you. Get it?

Last edited by amber; 04-21-2006 at 11:37 PM..
Old 04-21-2006, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Do you expect people to love everything you say and agree with it?
Obviously not. Just as I don't love or agree with everything other people say, even those I have great respect for.

You've still failed to explain how your statement could be construed as a joke. Shall I just assume that there is no such explanation?

Quote:
And if you are well versed in Stevie's career and still think she can't sing (notice again I make no mention of bekka, I'm only talking of Stevie) then I still think you must not have a good ear. I think even her worst critic would still acknowledge that she can sing.
Yeah, sure. Stevie can sing.

And that's why even her own fans wonder at what caused such a drastic deterioration in her voice.

Quote:
Sheesh. I try to come to read what SteveMacD says, cause he's hella funny, and to read a review, and to try to joke around, and I get pounced on by someone who likes to be rude for the sake of amusing herself. Great.
Oh poor, poor Amber.

I'm sorry. I should be more sensitive to your feelings because you don't like what I have to say. I'm rude and stubborn and not at all deep and since you want to be here to read SteveMacD's posts, I should vacate the premises so that you can do so in peace.

Here's a hint: If you don't want to read my posts because you feel like you're being "pounced on," then take your own advice and put that "someone who likes to be rude for the sake of amusing herself" on ignore.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

And that's why even her own fans wonder at what caused such a drastic deterioration in her voice.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're referring more to technique than anything -- and that may be where the difference of opinions is arising between you and Amber (well, at least in this situation), who is, I believe, referring to the more intuitive aspects of Stevie's singing.

Technique is important, true... but I think being an intuitive singer is equally important. Celine Dion has technique in spades, but I'd rather listen to voices such as Dylan's or Marianne Faithful's. Both are ravaged by time (and drugs and alcohol and whatever else), but endlessly more interesting to me than voices such as Celine's or Mariah's or, hell, Anne Murray's.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you're referring more to technique than anything -- and that may be where the difference of opinions is arising between you and Amber (well, at least in this situation), who is, I believe, referring to the more intuitive aspects of Stevie's singing.
I was mostly referring to range, which I suppose would fall under the category of "technique" but to me, it equates more to overall talent than anything.

I also think that Bekka is quite adept at harmonizing, as evidenced by her collaborations with Billy Burnette.

In any case, when I first heard Stevie Nicks, I liked what I heard but was not blown away by it. Also my opinion of her may have been swayed a little by the fact that my introduction to her came in the form of "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" and I was already a rabid Petty-head at the time.

Bekka, on the other hand, absolutely floored me when I first heard her. I didn't know who she was and had no internet connection at the time to facilitate the necessary research to find out, but I knew that whoever that was singing backup on Jonny Lang's "Lie to Me" was a talent to be reckoned with.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Obviously not. Just as I don't love or agree with everything other people say, even those I have great respect for.

You've still failed to explain how your statement could be construed as a joke. Shall I just assume that there is no such explanation?

Oh poor, poor Amber.

I'm sorry. I should be more sensitive to your feelings because you don't like what I have to say. I'm rude and stubborn and not at all deep and since you want to be here to read SteveMacD's posts, I should vacate the premises so that you can do so in peace.

Here's a hint: If you don't want to read my posts because you feel like you're being "pounced on," then take your own advice and put that "someone who likes to be rude for the sake of amusing herself" on ignore.
Um, after reading this, I realize you aren't really reading what I say carefully, just continuing insults and...um...I don't know what, but it's not logical.
again:
1. I'm sorry you don't get my jokes, or see what is funny. In that case, though, my opinion was real about people who bother people just for their own amusement. Are you actually saying it's offensive to you that someone would think it was appalling that anyone enjoys make other people mad for their own amusement???? I'm pretty sure most people would find a person who pisses people off/hurts them/riles them/etc for their own amusement...lets just say they would think that sadism was a less than stellar personality trait. Seriously, you're mad that someone disagreed with you about that? I actually thought you were kidding, which is why I put the smileys.
2. Well, now, that is different. Are you saying Stevie can't sing now, or can't sing at all? You said she couldn't sing, I thought you meant she couldn't sing. But even if you mean right now, yes, her voice is diminished, but she can still sing. If you think she can't, we'll never agree. But I don't understand how you could seriously be offended that I questioned you for saying Stevie couldn't sing. Maybe I give you more credit for intelligence and awareness than is warranted. I mean, that can't have come as a shock.

3. I don't care if you are sensitive to my feelings, but the problem with your little paragraph preceded by "poor, poor, Amber" - is that you didn't attack me for not agreeing with your assessment of Stevie (jokingly) - I know that because someone else said the same thing I did - You attacked me for reasons you made up, because you don't like me. I didn't say you should vacate any premises, in fact you implied that I was out of place on the forum. If you'll recall, I was joking around with you - or as it turns out, at you - and you took actual offense at someone saying stevie can sing. As if millions of people on the forum wouldn't disagree with you and say Stevie can sing, just like I did. I mean, unless you're a mental midget you had to have anticipated that, right?

4. I'm just confused because it's like you're yelling at me in some foreign language about things that don't have any relation at all to what I actually say to you, or the intent behind my words, or to what I say about Bekka. It's almost exactly like you didn't actually read what I wrote. And I would call that pouncing, because it's violent, unexpected, and totally inexplicable. It feels the same as if....say...I was walking down the street, and someone I didn't know threw something at me from their car - not because of anything I did, but just becuase that person (you) was really pissed off and wanted to hit someone for no reason. Of course, you are self admittedly rude, I just didn't know you were so illogical and obtuse about it, and so obviously vengeful.
Oh, and I didn't have you on ignore b/c I don't usually care one way or the other what you say. On this fateful day, I made the mistake of trying to converse with you like a normal person.

Last edited by amber; 04-22-2006 at 12:26 AM..
Old 04-22-2006, 12:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I was mostly referring to range, which I suppose would fall under the category of "technique" but to me, it equates more to overall talent than anything.

I also think that Bekka is quite adept at harmonizing, as evidenced by her collaborations with Billy Burnette.

In any case, when I first heard Stevie Nicks, I liked what I heard but was not blown away by it. Also my opinion of her may have been swayed a little by the fact that my introduction to her came in the form of "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" and I was already a rabid Petty-head at the time.

Bekka, on the other hand, absolutely floored me when I first heard her. I didn't know who she was and had no internet connection at the time to facilitate the necessary research to find out, but I knew that whoever that was singing backup on Jonny Lang's "Lie to Me" was a talent to be reckoned with.
Im sorry dear - but Bekka's voice is just another voice - just turn on American Idol and you hear a million other Bekka's. Stevie is an original