The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey not letting anyone else sing on his songs post Rumours is one of my biggest Mac bugbears. Think of the harmonies we have missed out on.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscountViktor View Post
Lindsey not letting anyone else sing on his songs post Rumours is one of my biggest Mac bugbears. Think of the harmonies we have missed out on.
This is a symptom of the reasons he is no longer in the band.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Lindsey adding Stevie to his awesome GOS songs and making them non-listenable with all that horrible nasality has been hurtful for my ears.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-08-2020, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Because misogyny.
i don't think so. i think that's over-simplistic lazy crutch explanation, even though there may easily be some truth to it. but John gets a pass a lot in Mac fan community, for the same stuff other guys in the band are repeatedly raked over the coals.

i think there are many nuances to various fans' reasoning as to why they blame Christine but leave John alone for not having a spine in 2018 happenings. some are shippers who blame Christine coming back for breaking up the "lovefest" version of the band. others just set a low low bar for John, while high bar for Christine. funnily enough, however low bar is set for Mick, he still manages to crawl lower than that in most fans eyes!

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-08-2020, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
i don't think so. i think that's over-simplistic lazy crutch explanation, even though there may easily be some truth to it. but John gets a pass a lot in Mac fan community, for the same stuff other guys in the band are repeatedly raked over the coals.

i think there are many nuances to various fans' reasoning as to why they blame Christine but leave John alone for not having a spine in 2018 happenings. some are shippers who blame Christine coming back for breaking up the "lovefest" version of the band. others just set a low low bar for John, while high bar for Christine. funnily enough, however low bar is set for Mick, he still manages to crawl lower than that in most fans eyes!
It really makes me laugh how shippers (not here so much). but you know some of them personally, and so do I. They HATE Christine. And only for the mere reason that she broke B/N up!! It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. They still go on and on and on to this day about how they love each other. The drugs some of these people take must be strong.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It really makes me laugh how shippers (not here so much). but you know some of them personally, and so do I. They HATE Christine. And only for the mere reason that she broke B/N up!! It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. They still go on and on and on to this day about how they love each other. The drugs some of these people take must be strong.
I know that I rub so many $tevie fans against their grain, but ^^^^^^THIS is the reason I do it. It's just SO STUPID to play this stupid game that $tevie and Lindsey are still in love. Only an idiot could believe it.

I'll bet Lindsey would strangle her to death if he thought he could get away with it.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yeah I agree with this. I think its a combination of he doesn't want them to and also at times (like TANGO) where even if he did want them to they weren't there for it (at least, the case with Stevie).
Old 05-09-2020, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Lindsey adding Stevie to his awesome GOS songs and making them non-listenable with all that horrible nasality has been hurtful for my ears.
I don't know what you're referring to, I just think it's sad that after Rumours Lindsey decided his songs were too good for anyone else to be on, seeming to forget he was actually in a band.
Old 05-09-2020, 08:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know what you're referring to, I just think it's sad that after Rumours Lindsey decided his songs were too good for anyone else to be on, seeming to forget he was actually in a band.
Yes and control freaking the bejeesus out of everyone else's songs at the same time.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i'm referring to Say You Will album. for example, listen to What's The World Coming to. nasality kicks in hard there, and makes it completely unlistenable.

to my ears, and watching Destiny rules doc, the problem was that LB didn't take all the control anymore, but shared it with Nicks to appease her. another exhibit is their 2014 EP. she co-produced, and neither was happy. he didn't take all control, and she didn't have all control either.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Yes and control freaking the bejeesus out of everyone else's songs at the same time.
WHERE would they have been without him?

Living in Behind The Mask land, that's where. Mediocrityville! He knew what he wanted, and got them there. They'd have NEVER been where they are now without his vision.

Prove me wrong.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

Living in Behind The Mask land, that's where. Mediocrityville! He knew what he wanted, and got them there. They'd have NEVER been where they are now without his vision.

Prove me wrong.
He may have been a control freak, but apparently it didn’t matter when they needed him to make them rich. They were willing to put all those differences aside for the sake of their bank accounts.

So it couldn’t have been such an horrendous experience like so many Stevie’s fans pretend to portray if she tolerated him just to be famous and rich.

That poor woman is a martyr.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The most hilarious part is how they STILL love each other And one day they will be back together....

Stevie has a very strange way of demonstrating her love.

Oh, wait, it’s all Christine’s fault.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post

So it couldn’t have been such an horrendous experience like so many Stevie’s fans pretend to portray if she tolerated him just to be famous and rich.

That poor woman is a martyr.
Hey, give her a break. Poor old thing has been in the Army for 45 years! Such a tough life.

$he I$ a martyr.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

They'd have NEVER been where they are now without his vision.

Prove me wrong.
I don’t think his production style would have improved songs like “Show Me A Smile,” “Spare Me A Little of Your Love,” “Remember Me,” “Did You Ever Love Me,” “Believe Me,” “Why,” or “Come A Little Bit Closer,” and I don’t think Christine’s writing style was radically different after Lindsey joined. “Over My Head” wasn’t too far removed from “Heroes Are Hard To Find” (especially the early demo with piano) and “Say You Love Me” is very similar to “Spare Me A Little.”

Meanwhile, the Buckingham Nicks live version of “Rhiannon” is ghastly. Funny how “the blues” elevated the live version of that song into a masterpiece. John’s bassline, in a different meter, would have been a classic blues shuffle and Christine’s keyboards during the twirling echoed songs like “No Road Is the Right Road.”

Being forced to work within the context of a proper band helped him grow as a producer. He didn’t appreciate it at the time, eventually walked away from it, and came to appreciate it when he didn’t have it. I think it forced him to get to a place he wouldn’t have organically on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
He may have been a control freak, but apparently it didn’t matter when they needed him to make them rich. They were willing to put all those differences aside for the sake of their bank accounts.
He made them rich? LOL!

How much money did he make off the songs from OOTC? How much money did he make off the songs from TITN? I’m sure “Big Love” would have been the biggest hit single of his career without the intrigue of it being the first new Fleetwood Mac song in five years and a cool video with the gang. Also, it’s interesting that TITN’s sales went up after he quit. The tour he wasn’t on significantly helped sales. So, he made money doing nothing. In other words, he did the heavy lifting of making the album and they did the heavy lifting of selling the album.

Fleetwood Mac made six albums post-Peter Green, pre-Lindsey/Stevie. Those six albums sold more than Lindsey’s six solo albums. “Law & Order,” his highest charting solo album, peaked at #32. “Heroes Are Hard To Find” peaked at #34. Meanwhile, “Bella Donna” sold more than “Tusk” and “Mirage.”

THE Stephen Hopkins