User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVielhaber View Post
I'm pretty sure Stevie did not say she was knackered.
We had a discussion about that at the time! I think the verdict was that some English words may have rubbed off on LB and SN, having spent so much time around three Brits.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Fleetwood Mac's Christine McVie had 'radical life change'

Published Tuesday, May 14 2013, 11:05am EDT | By Justin Harp Digital Spy

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news...#ixzz2TJsRKkPz

Lindsey Buckingham has suggested that a "radical life change" led Christine McVie to quit Fleetwood Mac.

McVie retired from the band following their reunion tour in 1997, and has thus far refused to rejoin them for any of their subsequent concert treks.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Buckingham explained that McVie has decided to lead a secluded life in her later years.

"She was just in need of a radical life change," the guitarist explained. "She pretty much burned all her bridges in Los Angeles. She sold her house, ended her relationship, quit the band and moved back to England."

He continued: "It was a fairly sweeping set of changes, and something she needed to do for her reasons, though I'm not particularly clear on what those were."

Buckingham went on to admit that Fleetwood Mac have definitely felt McVie's absence on their subsequent world tours.

"We all miss her, and we miss the equation that fivesome made," he commented. "It's a different equation with the four. But for me, it actually opened up an opportunity to be a little more myself onstage. When you divide the material more or less down the middle, it gives me more of a chance to be the guy, and to be the kind of presence and energy I am onstage."

Stevie Nicks also recently spoke in detail about McVie's departure from the band, and insisted that her former colleague will likely never return.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news...#ixzz2TJsUyz7d
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
Interesting that DigitalSpy think Christine is worthy of a story!

Thanks for this and for your analysis, which I am coming round to. I think there was a falling out post-Dance, though it's interesting because by 2004 when she released her solo album (on those video interviews) she said she thinks of FM every day 'particularly Mick and John' so it's sad if John, especially, held a grudge when she quit. I am, however, pleased that the intervening years seem to show that they have made up.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
We had a discussion about that at the time! I think the verdict was that some English words may have rubbed off on LB and SN, having spent so much time around three Brits.
Yes!

I was going to bring up that Timespace article where she talks about her "English accent" that she sometimes has (and then goes on to unintentionally prove that she so does not have an English accent). Given her life on the rock scene, she's undoubtedly hung out with loads of Brits as well as the three in the band. And as a Canadian living in England, I'm very aware of how it rubs off on you. Knackered is just fantastic fun to say.

I wonder if she's gone as far as dabbling in rhyming-slang. I know she doesn't appreciate input on her lyrics, but if she wrote a song where she described a tired person as "cream crackered" I think my head would never stop exploding.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Yes!

I was going to bring up that Timespace article where she talks about her "English accent" that she sometimes has (and then goes on to unintentionally prove that she so does not have an English accent). Given her life on the rock scene, she's undoubtedly hung out with loads of Brits as well as the three in the band. And as a Canadian living in England, I'm very aware of how it rubs off on you. Knackered is just fantastic fun to say.

I wonder if she's gone as far as dabbling in rhyming-slang. I know she doesn't appreciate input on her lyrics, but if she wrote a song where she described a tired person as "cream crackered" I think my head would never stop exploding.
Not quite related, but I was *delighted* on the IYD track 'Everybody Loves You' when SN sings "can't" in "can't find your way home" as c-ah-n't, using the long vowel which is mostly associated with the English accent. Granted, of course, it was likely because Dave Stewart was harmonising with her and they both had to say the word one way or another.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Not quite related, but I was *delighted* on the IYD track 'Everybody Loves You' when SN sings "can't" in "can't find your way home" as c-ah-n't, using the long vowel which is mostly associated with the English accent. Granted, of course, it was likely because Dave Stewart was harmonising with her and they both had to say the word one way or another.
Yeah! Well, I probably wouldn't say it "delighted" me but it was kind of fun and something a bit different. I notice a lot of people found that choice rather annoying, but eh, as you say, when harmonizing you have to make the same sounds together.

Ulpian, feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but what accent do you have? I'm curious now we're on the subject.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Yeah! Well, I probably wouldn't say it "delighted" me but it was kind of fun and something a bit different. I notice a lot of people found that choice rather annoying, but eh, as you say, when harmonizing you have to make the same sounds together.

Ulpian, feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but what accent do you have? I'm curious now we're on the subject.
We had some discussion about singing 'accents' on the Christine forum, you'll recall, and I love hearing different people's views on that kind of thing. I know that makes me a geek, but I was a linguist in a previous career
Old 05-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
We had some discussion about singing 'accents' on the Christine forum, you'll recall, and I love hearing different people's views on that kind of thing. I know that makes me a geek, but I was a linguist in a previous career
That's fantastic! I took a linguistics course in university, and while it was very interesting, it was a lot of work and I honestly think might've been too challenging for me to pursue more seriously.

To prove myself right, I've forgotten much of what I learned in that class.

Anyway, I started an accent thread. Possibly very misguidedly. But hopefully it will inspire some of us to geek away.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Interesting that DigitalSpy think Christine is worthy of a story!
I think when she left after The Dance, she said it was permanent, but maybe the band didn't believe her. They thought after she rested and got bored that she would be ready to go again after a few years and when that didn't happen they were disappointed and upset.

And she said they weren't interested in her Meantime songs once they knew she wouldn't tour and that if she saw them they would lock her in a room and make her sign a 10 year touring contract, because they are very persuasive people. So, I think they had longer telephone discussions about her not touring in 2003 than we probably thought they did.

As you said, I'm glad that they are in a good place now and I hope we get some special moments in September that will live on on Youtube forever, for those of us who don't get to witness them.

Michele
Old 05-15-2013, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think when she left after The Dance, she said it was permanent, but maybe the band didn't believe her. They thought after she rested and got bored that she would be ready to go again after a few years and when that didn't happen they were disappointed and upset.

And she said they weren't interested in her Meantime songs once they knew she wouldn't tour and that if she saw them they would lock her in a room and make her sign a 10 year touring contract, because they are very persuasive people. So, I think they had longer telephone discussions about her not touring in 2003 than we probably thought they did.

As you said, I'm glad that they are in a good place now and I hope we get some special moments in September that will live on on Youtube forever, for those of us who don't get to witness them.

Michele
Amen.

I remember in 2000 when they did the Clinton gig that they were quite blunt about her not being involved and it sounded then as though they were quite clear that she wasn't coming back. However, they may - as you say - not have believed Christine and were secretly hoping she'd come back.

Do you remember when Stevie said that they offered to build Christine a mobile kitchen to take on the road? They were clearly going all out in 02/03. There was also mumbling from Mick or Lindsey that she would call whilst they were recording SYW, asking how how they were gettin on. I think they may have found that frustrating, as though she still wanted to be a part of things, but not too much a part of things, if you know what I mean.

I wanted to add that I have always believed that the lyrics of Fall from Grace on TISL are mostly aimed at Christine (and the remainder at Lindsey). That is an angry song, a bitter one and, I think, quite patently about the abrupt end to the reunion in the 90s. The reference to SYLM in one of the verses, too, I think deals that interpretation for me. Anyway, I just remembered that and wanted to put it out there!

Last edited by Ulpian; 05-15-2013 at 03:42 PM..
Old 05-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I always just assumed Christine was rather paraphrasing what Stevie had told her, not necessarily quoting verbatim. I'm inclined to think Stevie expressed herself in a more American fashion, saying something like "I"m beat" "I'm exhausted" "I'm wiped out" or whatever, which of course means the same thing as "I'm knackered" which is how Chris, being British, would understand what Stevie said. Just my tuppence.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I wanted to add that I have always believed that the lyrics of Fall from Grace on TISL are mostly aimed at Christine (and the remainder at Lindsey). That is an angry song, a bitter one and, I think, quite patently about the abrupt end to the reunion in the 90s. The reference to SYLM in one of the verses, too, I think deals that interpretation for me. Anyway, I just remembered that and wanted to put it out there!
I first listened to SYW in my car, so I hadn't read the lyric book yet. And I thought that Red Rover was saying:

Anyone at all could see what was missing.
Christine, you were dying though no one was crying.
And the lips you were kissing night after night.
All were bathed in blue all bathed in white.

And I thought it was a reference to how unhappy she had been on The Dance tour and that the "lips" she was kissing night after night were the people in the audience, bathed in the glow of the stage lights, blue and white.

So, needless to say when I read the actual lyrics and saw that he was not saying Christine, but saying "could see" again, I was disappointed. I guess I just like to let my imagination run wild.

Michele
Old 05-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
If she played the whole show, the London audience would be in for a real treat. But unless she rehearsed the songs, I find it pretty unlikely. She would never put herself in a position that is uncomfortable, not being sure about certain songs or how the band is performing them, especially in front of an audience. I also realize though for a performer you get such a drive when it's your song and you have haven't played it in a long time, how it sounds and what it means to you and to the real fans for the band to be doing it.
She ought to do "Get Like You Used to Be" with the band. Fantastically inspired choice for her & Vito to do that one with Mick recently. I heard it and I thought, "Where did that come from all of a sudden?" It just made me smile all over.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 05-16-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
She ought to do "Get Like You Used to Be" with the band. Fantastically inspired choice for her & Vito to do that one with Mick recently. I heard it and I thought, "Where did that come from all of a sudden?" It just made me smile all over.
It made me feel like I used to be.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default LB says he and SN are actors playing a part

http://oldies1017.com/The_Music_World.php

LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM SAYS HE AND STEVIE NICKS ARE ACTORS PLAYING A PART

Lindsey Buckingham says that due to his and Stevie Nicks' longstanding history, these days the pair are able to take on the roles of actors playing a part. Buckingham, who'll be on the road with Fleetwood Mac through the end of the year, told Hitfix.com, "You can slip into these roles and it's not that the feelings that you have aren't. . . it doesn't mean they are any less authentic. But at this point, to some degree, what Stevie and I have, we've played these characters for so long, y'know, and it doesn't threaten anything having to do with my home life, my wife completely understands the dynamic of it. There's a certain aspect of professionalism to it."

He touched upon the fact that his relationship with Nicks -- whom he officially split up with romantically in 1976 -- has changed substantially over the past decade: "I think that difference between Stevie and me right now on this tour: If you go back two tours to 2003, we had just finished doing our last album, Say You Will, and I had produced that. And there was a certain, I wouldn't call it an animosity, but there was a lot of tension between Stevie and me. Some of that polarity clearly played out on stage and, in a way, it made for a very interesting show. When you cut to 2009, that had been kind of neutralized, but there was nothing so tangible between us. And now, it's sort of swung the other way where there's more of a connection. There's more of a mutual acknowledgment of what we've been through, an openness to acknowledge it on stage."

Lindsey Buckingham explained to us how the Buckingham-Nicks relationship evolved on the road over the past decade: "Well, y'know, it's funny, if you go back 10 years ago when we toured behind the Say You Will album, there was one dynamic (a) very marked difference from now in terms of -- especially in terms of Stevie and myself. And I thinking in some ways our polarity was service and was being dealt with, but had sort of come to a head on that tour and it kind of made it interesting. In 2009 when we toured, it had kind of been neutralized, but y'know, it was sort of nothing, y'know, in terms of that."

Fleetwood Mac North American tour dates (subject to change):
June 7 - Tampa, FL - Tampa Bay Times Forum
June 8 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL - BB&T Center
June 10 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena
June 12 - Detroit, MI - Joe Louis Arena
June 14 - Rosemont, IL - Allstate Arena
June 15 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena
June 18 - Montreal, QC - Bell Centre
June 19 - Albany, NY - Times Union Center
June 21 - Mansfield, MA - Comcast Center
June 22 - Wantagh, NY - Nikon At Jones Beach Theater
June 24 - Charlotte, NC - Time Warner Cable Arena
June 26 - Des Moines, IA - Wells Fargo Arena
June 29 - Spokane, WA - Spokane Arena
June 30 - Portland, OR - Rose Garden Arena
July 3 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center
July 5 - San Diego, CA Viejas Arena
July 6 - Sacramento, CA - Sleep Train Arena

AUDIO: LINDSEY BUCKINGHAM ON 2003 AND 2009 FLEETWOOD MAC TOURS

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i read an article a little while ago where he pretty much said the same exact thing. i dont really buy it though i think he says it so he doesnt get in trouble with his wife -ha ha!