User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling View Post
i keep forgetting that the little psycho is probably skulking in the corners, watching us.

you're right, he would never start anything here . . .although it would be amusing to see him try (and then fail, miserably). christine's board was like the OK-corral- lawless, yet exciting! LOL
I thought we were all pretty lawful actually! (well most of us)

Gail
Old 10-24-2006, 03:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I thought we were all pretty lawful actually! (well most of us)

Gail
considering the level of provocation we received, i'd say that's actually more to the truth. we should give ourselves a round of applause for being so level headed.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I'd be more upset about this, if we didn't still have the Ledge. I've always wondered anyway, how long her site would stay up(how long "someone-whoever that is" would pay for it).
And, wouldn't you think we'd get more trolls here? We seemed to get alot more trolls over there.
Anyway, I'm glad that we've still got our spot here!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Well, I'd be more upset about this, if we didn't still have the Ledge. I've always wondered anyway, how long her site would stay up(how long "someone-whoever that is" would pay for it).
And, wouldn't you think we'd get more trolls here? We seemed to get alot more trolls over there.
Anyway, I'm glad that we've still got our spot here!
I'm more upset at the way that message board ended, rather than the fact that it ended. It stayed up longer than I ever thought it would.

It is weird about the trolls on that board rather than here in this forum. I still think having a moderator here helps ALOT. There was a troll on the Ledge a few years ago (before the Chris forum began)who absolutely HATED Christine. He was unbelievably vulgar. He felt that Chris persecuted Stevie. This was before you got here, Homer. I know he got at least one strike, because he complained about it. He may have eventually been banned, I'm not sure.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57 View Post
I'm more upset at the way that message board ended, rather than the fact that it ended. It stayed up longer than I ever thought it would.

It is weird about the trolls on that board rather than here in this forum. I still think having a moderator here helps ALOT. There was a troll on the Ledge a few years ago (before the Chris forum began)who absolutely HATED Christine. He was unbelievably vulgar. He felt that Chris persecuted Stevie. This was before you got here, Homer. I know he got at least one strike, because he complained about it. He may have eventually been banned, I'm not sure.
Our MIA David is the one who brought me here, from Usenet(I sure miss having him here).

I know it sucks that the board has been frozen. I too, have emailed Martin. Maybe if we cross our fingers......

Are the hackers not able to hack this site though? Is it different? I guess I don't understand all the technical stuff about programming(to say the least!).
Old 10-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are the hackers not able to hack this site though? Is it different? I guess I don't understand all the technical stuff about programming(to say the least!).
I'm not a tech wiz either. But I remember the Penguin(and the Ledge) was hacked into several years ago, supposedly by somebody in Portugal(maybe Eddy Quintela? ). Then the entire site was moved to a new server. I think it's been OK since. Maybe the new server is more secure?
Old 10-25-2006, 02:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think having moderators helps a lot as well.

also here I don't think you can register with a hotmail type email address.

Our troll on Chris' site had several different email addresses none of which would have been allowed here.

Personally I think Christine (or Martin Wyatt) need to make their minds up whether they actually want a site or not.

Either have an updated secure site with a forum or just forget about the whole thing and we'll chat here.

Gail
Old 10-25-2006, 06:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Personally I think Christine (or Martin Wyatt) need to make their minds up whether they actually want a site or not.

Either have an updated secure site with a forum or just forget about the whole thing and we'll chat here.

Gail
I agree. I wonder if the indecision has something to do with Chris being unsure whether she wants to ever record again. If she is totally, completely 100% retired, why would she even have a website?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. I wonder if the indecision has something to do with Chris being unsure whether she wants to ever record again. If she is totally, completely 100% retired, why would she even have a website?
Yes I think you could be right about that.

We thought, and probably she thought, she was retired when she came back to England and then we got In the Meantime.

Maybe she really is retired now but as you say why bother with a website?

The domain name registration expires in 2007 and was first registered in 2003.

How long do registrations last? If it's two years then it must have been renewed.

Gail
Old 10-25-2006, 09:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He felt that Chris persecuted Stevie.

what!??!?!?! in what way!?!?!?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i'm bad at explaining these things, but i'll give it a shot.

christine's board and the ledge are both built on php, which is a scripting language. hackers target scripts because they are comprised of so many parts, so the more parts, the more chances there are of finding a weakness that they can exploit.

vbulletin (which the ledge uses) and phpBB (which christine's forum used), are always on the lookout for problems in their code; it's a never ending process. you fix something, someone finds a new way to hack in. you fix that, they find a way to hack through your fix. repeat ad nauseum. so companies are constantly issuing newer versions of their product, or offering security patches, updates, trying to keep one step ahead of idiots like our turkish friends.

in a way, it's kind of like anti virus software: in order to stay alive, it has to keep updating itself.

because there was no one updating christine's site, the exploit the hackers used to get in was never covered by a security patch.

hope that was sort of helpful.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The domain name registration expires in 2007 and was first registered in 2003.

How long do registrations last? If it's two years then it must have been renewed.
unfortunately there's no way to tell because you can register a domain name for up to 10 years i think. you might even be able to do it for longer than that, i'm not quite sure.

anyways, i would think that if they had no interest, they would just take it down or put it on permanent hiatus. i mean, someone had to have gone in to take the forum link off the main page. just take the whole site down if you have no use for it anymore. it certainly doesn't benefit anyone having old information out there.

at least, this is what i tell myself as i cling to the desperate hope that something amazing is in the works for christinemcvie.com
Old 10-25-2006, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
what!??!?!?! in what way!?!?!?
He claimed that Chris spent the entire time that Stevie was in the band being mean to her, notwithstanding that these 2 ladies were/are good friends.

He used horrible, vulgar language regarding Christine. It was worse because at that time there were hardly any Christine fans on the Ledge. He tried to ruin every thread that anyone started about Chris. Someone even joked that maybe he was an old boyfriend of Chris's. But, no he was just a complete lunatic.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
i'm bad at explaining these things, but i'll give it a shot.

christine's board and the ledge are both built on php, which is a scripting language. hackers target scripts because they are comprised of so many parts, so the more parts, the more chances there are of finding a weakness that they can exploit.

vbulletin (which the ledge uses) and phpBB (which christine's forum used), are always on the lookout for problems in their code; it's a never ending process. you fix something, someone finds a new way to hack in. you fix that, they find a way to hack through your fix. repeat ad nauseum. so companies are constantly issuing newer versions of their product, or offering security patches, updates, trying to keep one step ahead of idiots like our turkish friends.

in a way, it's kind of like anti virus software: in order to stay alive, it has to keep updating itself.

because there was no one updating christine's site, the exploit the hackers used to get in was never covered by a security patch.

hope that was sort of helpful.
Yes, that does help to explain it. It kind of sounds like the Windows Updates that you have to download & install every month.

I wish you had been in charge of that website. Then those hackers wouldn't have been able to ruin that message board.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

anyways, i would think that if they had no interest, they would just take it down or put it on permanent hiatus. i mean, someone had to have gone in to take the forum link off the main page. just take the whole site down if you have no use for it anymore. it certainly doesn't benefit anyone having old information out there.

at least, this is what i tell myself as i cling to the desperate hope that something amazing is in the works for christinemcvie.com
And, Mr. Wyatt did tell Gail that he hoped to move the site to a new server & get Sanctuary out of the way.

If by chance they do decide to do something with the site, they'll have to totally re-do it. Right now, the sole purpose of the site is to promote ITM, which is nearly 2 1/2 years old.