User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-16-2022, 06:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Arrow Timespace era

We all know the Timespace era was sort of messed up. Stevie's "best of" album got delayed because of the unexpected delay in the Fleetwood Mac Behind the Mask/Farewell tour. The band made up for months of postponed gigs because of Chris's father's passing. Stevie was brought songs to make her "hip and current" and she was not crazy about doing them. She toured prior to the album's release. Its hard to promote something that is not available yet. Stevie was in bad shape almost at her peak of tranquilizer addiction. Even her song Desert Angel written for the troops missed its release and the war was over by the time the album was released. The whole era sort of encompasses her life at that time......sort of unorganized. 1991 was a recession year and not many were going to concerts. I saw the Whole Lotta Trouble show in Pittsburgh and she had only about 7,500 in attendance. Her 1989 OSOTM tour had almost twice the crowd.
Having said that, there are some definite highlights of this era. Even though Stevie was probably in poor physical health with tranquilizer addiction, she sounded really good. Her tour, while short, had some highlights. After several tours not performing If Anyone Falls, it made it back into the set. Her band was the best IMHO. I loved Mark from Heart as the bassist. Les Dudek is an incredible guitarist. She had 2 guitarists for the first time in her band it it rocked giving her songs so many edges they never had before. Songs like Talk To Me were really good and Stevie could still throw her voice around. The added sax to If Anyone Falls was unexpected and good. Stand Back had its first extended ending. The explosions during the beginning of Edge of 17 were a bit much but.....ok. Landslide was brought back into the set during the BTM tour. But Stevie continued to do it during this tour and it was an electric version. At the time the song performed live was new again but looking back and listening now, it seems cutting edge to perform the song with electric guitars. And her band brought in an acoustic guy while the other guitarists played electric. During the Timespace/Whole Lotta Trouble tour we got Les's electric guitar solo. During the Whiskey live broadcast we got the keyboard solo in Landslide. I just love it. She rocked the house down during her Live at the Whiskey show that was broadcast in 1991. I remember seeing Stevie with Rhonda Shear on the UP ALL NIGHT shows on USA in the early 90s. Stevie mentioned how she just got off the road and missed it already. But this broadcast also features the only other live performance of Love's A Hard Game To Play. She does a great job. The most rocking version of SDMHA too.

Live at the Whiskey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqq2pBuoW_o

Stevie with Rhonda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk9Kwuz-dj8

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-16-2022 at 06:29 AM..
Old 07-17-2022, 06:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another odd thing from the Timespace era was the IRS audit of Stevie's 1991 taxes. The IRS did not buy her claim of clothing deductions from the Whole Lotta Trouble tour.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...545-story.html
Old 07-17-2022, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

And there was the Stevie and Mick falling out too.

I wonder if the two new tracks were included on TimeSpace because her people saw how well Madonna's 1990 compilation did with new songs on it.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnwindedDreams View Post
And there was the Stevie and Mick falling out too.

I wonder if the two new tracks were included on TimeSpace because her people saw how well Madonna's 1990 compilation did with new songs on it.
Yeah Stevie going on the record bashing Mick was pretty cool I think her record company saw the decline in her brand and sales. It was the early 90s and both OSOTM and BTM were not considered big successes. I dont think Sometimes Its a Bitch is a bad song but if it was the first single from OSTOM I think it would have been a hit. Bon Jovi was at its prime in 1989.

Another highlight for me in 1991 was Rhiannon. I loved the full rock encore and no piano intro. The "will you take me with you" was pretty cool too
Old 07-17-2022, 10:43 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:

Even prior to that, Fleetwood Mac's 1988 Greatest Hits album included two new tracks and eventually went 8x platinum in the US. None of the new singles from either Greatest Hits or Timespace performed well on the charts, although their inclusion on the compilations was certainly a selling point for those who already owned the studio albums.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Even prior to that, Fleetwood Mac's 1988 Greatest Hits album included two new tracks and eventually went 8x platinum in the US. None of the new singles from either Greatest Hits or Timespace performed well on the charts, although their inclusion on the compilations was certainly a selling point for those who already owned the studio albums.
Was the Greatest Hits album a hot seller when it was first released in 1988?
Old 07-17-2022, 11:05 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Was the Greatest Hits album a hot seller when it was first released in 1988?
Not particularly, although like many compilations by established artists, it continued to rack up sales long after its initial release.

As you can see here, Greatest Hits only achieved 2X platinum status by 1993, but by 2000, it sold another six million units.

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section

Last edited by WalkAThinLine.; 07-17-2022 at 11:11 AM..
Old 07-17-2022, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkAThinLine. View Post
Not particularly, although like many compilations by established artists, it continued to rack up sales long after its initial release.

As you can see here, Greatest Hits only achieved 2X platinum status by 1993, but by 2000, it sold another six million units.

https://www.riaa.com/gold-platinum/?...search_section
Unless you're an addict like us, it's perfect for the casual fan.

You know, the ones who think that Stevie is THE lead singer for the band.
Old 07-17-2022, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Timespace should have had After The Glitter Fades instead of Beauty and The Beast.

Greatest Hits packages made by record companies usually contain a packaged song they think will be a hit to promote the album. Sometimes it works but sometimes it does not work. Both Nicks and the Mac had their lead "new" song from their package tank. But the albums still sold fairly well. Timespace sold more during its release than OSOTM.

Pat Benatar was brilliant in promoting her Live from Earth album and included Love IS A Battlefied which won her a grammy. I still believe its the only solo female rock artist to have a platinum live album. Yet she is still excluded from the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame.

Speaking of Timespace, I loved the remix that Chris did. But as the years go by (like a strand in the wind), a few things changed. Now I prefer the Wild Heart version of Stand Back. I always missed the drum part mid song that was toned down. I loved when the echo of repeating Just like the white winged dove was taken out when Timespace was released. As the years go by, I have went back to liking the studio version of Edge of 17 better.

The Dance made ALL Fleetwood Mac albums sell tons more and most especially the Greatest Hits album.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-17-2022 at 11:59 AM..
Old 07-17-2022, 12:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Timespace should have had After The Glitter Fades instead of Beauty and The Beast.

Pat Benatar was brilliant in promoting her Live from Earth album and included Love IS A Battlefied which won her a grammy. I still believe its the only solo female rock artist to have a platinum live album. Yet she is still excluded from the Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame.
Pat Benatar was accepted into the RRHOF this year, so she’s not excluded. She will be inducted in November.

I think Beauty and the Beast deserves to be on Stevie’s greatest hits album. I like After the Glitter Fades, but B&B is quintessential Stevie and more representative of her as a whole, I think. I’m just glad Nightbird wasn’t on the album. Whole Lotta Trouble is questionable for me, but I appreciate she probably wanted two songs from OSOTM.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Pat Benatar was accepted into the RRHOF this year, so she’s not excluded. She will be inducted in November.

I think Beauty and the Beast deserves to be on Stevie’s greatest hits album. I like After the Glitter Fades, but B&B is quintessential Stevie and more representative of her as a whole, I think. I’m just glad Nightbird wasn’t on the album. Whole Lotta Trouble is questionable for me, but I appreciate she probably wanted two songs from OSOTM.
After The Glitter Fades was a song in the top 40. Beauty and the Beast is just Stevie's preference. I get it.
The most annoying part was leaving Think About Me off the Greatest hits album. Its so short so don't tell me there was no room. Just edit Sara down another 3 minutes

It would have given the album a Christine Tusk song and would have made millions rediscover the song.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The most annoying part was leaving Think About Me off the Greatest hits album.
It is not in The Very Best of UK 2002 release either. Though it is in the US release.
Old 07-17-2022, 02:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The most annoying part was leaving Think About Me off the Greatest hits album. Its so short so don't tell me there was no room. Just edit Sara down another 3 minutes

It would have given the album a Christine Tusk song and would have made millions rediscover the song.
As I recall, the vinyl Greatest Hits was short 2, maybe even 3 songs that were on the CD, so there really wasn’t room for Think About Me. But I agree, the exposure would have helped Think About Me.

Does anyone remember what songs were on the CD that weren’t on the vinyl? I want to say Big Love, Hold Me, and You Make Loving Fun, but I can’t remember.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In this interview, Stevie tells how she hates Greatest Hits albums and refused to go along with idea and refused to call it "Greatest Hits." She got to add new songs and pick the songs she wanted to include besides some of the greatest hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xlKhkqZT2E

Talks about Edge walk with fans
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlwQ24Tvx9Y

why she refuses to read Mick's book and called BTM tour a book promo tour and talks about her argument with Mick and she refuses to talk to him or tour with him. Also not happy with the way this interview ends (last few seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W39V53oCZ_c

Last edited by Macfan4life; 07-17-2022 at 04:15 PM..
Old 07-17-2022, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So I’ll never understand that whole Silver Springs fight with Mick which she goes into in that interview. Why didn’t she just re-record it for Timespace? Why would she want the Fleetwood Mac version on her solo compilation? There were no other Mac songs included. She always seems so over the top regarding this during this era.