Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:28 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Record Store Day

Is anyone getting the Alternate Tusk vinyl today during Record Store Day?

Worth it or not?
"It was, because we demanded it from the very beginning. You can't be a wimp, and then one or two years later decide not to be a wimp anymore. Because people will always treat you like a wimp, once they have decided that's what you are. So you can never be that. You have to be strong, tough, smart, and know who you are. So, people will get that. Then, they're always going to be great to you. Then, they listen to you; they listen to your songs. They give you a chance. Otherwise, you get nowhere."
Old 04-16-2016, 09:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

EARMILK’s picks for Record Store Day 2016
7 mins ago by Mike Waite

Read more at http://earmilk.com/2016/04/16/earmil...qoBcZQZ9SPj.99

Fleetwood Mac – The Alternate Tusk
Fleetwood Mac’s music is just so prolific and more personally, I’ve always been obsessed with Stevie Nicks as a feminist figure and just plain badass. I go by Steph and consider myself to be pretty cool, but I’m not sure if I could ever get to the level where people would call me “Stevie” without blinking an eye – Steph
Old 04-16-2016, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetofRhiannon View Post
Is anyone getting the Alternate Tusk vinyl today during Record Store Day?

Me got's 1.

Not in my hands yet, so I can't say
if it's worth it or not.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:28 AM
Ledgie

I snagged one at Record Theatre in Buffalo, idk i love vinyl..So far it's side 3 of the deluxe tusk re-issue that I've listened to on Spotify. I'm loving the extra Stevie vocals, and Brown Eyes with Peter Green is amazing!
Old 04-17-2016, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Half of vinyl buyers never play their records

http://teamrock.com/news/2016-04-16/...r-play-records

Survey suggests that nearly 50% of all those who buy vinyl discs never play them - and that streaming services are leading to record sales

Nearly half of the UK’s vinyl buyers never play the records they’ve purchased, a survey suggests.

And a similar number of people first heard the music they bought via a streaming service.

The resurgence of vinyl sales continues, with 637,000 units sold during the first quarter of this year, compared with 2.1million throughout 2014.

The ICM survey, reported by the BBC, says that 52% of those who buy vinyl have a turntable they use, while 41% own a turntable but don’t use it, and 7% don’t have one at all.

People in the 25-34 age group buy nearly a third of all vinyl, with 35-44 the second-largest buying group, followed by 45-54, 18-24 and 55-64.

Meanwhile, 45% of those polled said the music they’d bought was first heard online.

Geoff Taylor, chief executive of the British Phonographic Industry, says: “Younger fans increasingly discover on digital, but collect on vinyl. They appreciate the immediacy and convenience of Spotify, Apple Music and Google Play, but still want to own and collect albums by artists they love.”

Sony Music International chairman Edgar Berger agrees: “You will find people having a paid streaming subscription, and at the same time buying vinyl, and I do believe that's not an uncommon pattern. Streaming is for the convenience and, for some fans, vinyl is for the experience.”

The ratio of male buyers has remained constant at 8% of the population for several years, while the female buyer ratio has increased from 5% to 8% in the past year. A total of around one in ten people have bought vinyl over the previous twelve months, with awareness boosted by the annual Record Store Day, which takes place today (April 16).

RSD ambassadors Metallica will stream their performance from a California store later today.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by estranged4life View Post

Survey suggests that nearly 50% of all those who buy vinyl discs never play them - and that streaming services are leading to record sales

Nearly half of the UK’s vinyl buyers never play the records they’ve purchased, a survey suggests.

And a similar number of people first heard the music they bought via a streaming service.

The resurgence of vinyl sales continues, with 637,000 units sold during the first quarter of this year, compared with 2.1million throughout 2014.

The ICM survey, reported by the BBC, says that 52% of those who buy vinyl have a turntable they use, while 41% own a turntable but don’t use it, and 7% don’t have one at all.

People in the 25-34 age group buy nearly a third of all vinyl, with 35-44 the second-largest buying group, followed by 45-54, 18-24 and 55-64.

Meanwhile, 45% of those polled said the music they’d bought was first heard online.

Geoff Taylor, chief executive of the British Phonographic Industry, says: “Younger fans increasingly discover on digital, but collect on vinyl. They appreciate the immediacy and convenience of Spotify, Apple Music and Google Play, but still want to own and collect albums by artists they love.”

Sony Music International chairman Edgar Berger agrees: “You will find people having a paid streaming subscription, and at the same time buying vinyl, and I do believe that's not an uncommon pattern. Streaming is for the convenience and, for some fans, vinyl is for the experience.”

The ratio of male buyers has remained constant at 8% of the population for several years, while the female buyer ratio has increased from 5% to 8% in the past year. A total of around one in ten people have bought vinyl over the previous twelve months, with awareness boosted by the annual Record Store Day, which takes place today (April 16).
Interesting. I'm 24-years-old, and I do have a vinyl collection (one that started by adopting most of my parents' albums) and a record player. And I don't have a streaming service...

But has anyone had the chance to listen to it yet?
"It was, because we demanded it from the very beginning. You can't be a wimp, and then one or two years later decide not to be a wimp anymore. Because people will always treat you like a wimp, once they have decided that's what you are. So you can never be that. You have to be strong, tough, smart, and know who you are. So, people will get that. Then, they're always going to be great to you. Then, they listen to you; they listen to your songs. They give you a chance. Otherwise, you get nowhere."
Old 04-17-2016, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Survey suggests that nearly 50% of all those who buy vinyl discs never play them...
My turntable died on me several years back.
But I've bought more vinyl in the past two years
than the last twenty combined. I'm leaning towards
a Pro Ject turntable.

Someone's (meaning me) is going to have a lot of
vinyl to listen to when the new turntable arrives.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
yep. yep. yep.
i have an 80s turntable and listen to ALL my records
24KG is still in its plastic though because I don't want to open it
don't have a streaming service
don't buy cds anymore.
occassionally i will buy albums/songs off itunes but maybe like once a year
Old 04-20-2016, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetofRhiannon View Post

But has anyone had the chance to listen to it yet?
I scored one here in WA and it sounds really, really good. I have the Tusk Deluxe set and was quite pleased with the sound from the CDs, but I since purchased the live set on vinyl and the now the Alternate Tusk, and they both blow the CDs away as far as depth and warmth (for me at least).

I have an extensive vinyl collection and I listen to every single record. I take really good care of my vinyl, but I was never one to buy a car just to let it sit in the garage to collect dust. Listen to your vinyl folks!!!

Tim
Old 04-22-2016, 01:42 PM
Senior Ledgie

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by badanimals87 View Post
I scored one here in WA and it sounds really, really good. I have the Tusk Deluxe set and was quite pleased with the sound from the CDs, but I since purchased the live set on vinyl and the now the Alternate Tusk, and they both blow the CDs away as far as depth and warmth (for me at least).

I have an extensive vinyl collection and I listen to every single record. I take really good care of my vinyl, but I was never one to buy a car just to let it sit in the garage to collect dust. Listen to your vinyl folks!!!

Tim
Thanks!
I managed to get one just a little while ago. Haven't listened to it yet!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:06 PM

I really need to get a turntable.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Go to the fleamarket if you have one in your area or go tag sales.also check Craigslist and your local papers..Atlease those old ones are made better then these new ones out there.If it needs a needle and cartridge .Theres places online that sell them.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-23-2016, 07:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I own...

a huge Peaches (Record and Tapes) crate full of vinyl LP's that belonged to my parents, and almost all are in mint condition, and opened (Mom was the rocker and Dad only cared for Surf/County & Western)...and played!!!

Add to it I also have a crate full of 45's & 78's...so I am fine in the vinyl category for the foreseeable future (Just don't get me started on my music collection...not enough time to describe it - hell, not enough room in my apartment for it now, hehe!!!)

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 04-23-2016 at 07:42 AM..
Old 04-23-2016, 08:37 AM

There was a huge Peaches Record Store near my house in Cleveland when I grew up there.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
The recent vinylreleases from Lindsey and the Mac all sound spectacular. Oh, the Seeds we Sow special red vinyledition is worth quadruple the price of the pretty harsh digital cd release. So is Gift Of Screws.