Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Greatest Night In Pop

Maybe this has been discussed before (Lindsey and Stevie's participations) but since I just watched this documentary, there are some thoughts I want to share.

I didn't know Huey Lewis replaced Prince at the last time. Apparently Prince was a jerk and he snubbed them because he only agreed to play a guitar solo in a separate room, but Lionel was asking him to sing with everybody in the same room. Huey wasn't supposed to sing a solo but at the last minute he was asked to replace Prince and he did it great.

I always supposed Stevie Nicks was on the road so she couldn't be there. But checking info, in Jan '85 there was no Stevie tour in progress. I wonder if they asked her to participate.

Same as Madonna. Being a superstar in 1985, I supposed she couldn't assist because of dates conflict. But she was in LA, she was at the AMA ceremony from where many left for the studio that same night. They mention somebody wanted Cyndi instead of Madonna, but it doesn't make sense. If Lionel wished to have Michael Jackson and Prince together, why they wouldn't want to have the 2 girls together.

Lindsey was mentioned at the beginning of the doc. No details about his invitation nor participation.

And Bob Dylan's face... well, as somebody said in the doc, the 80s was not the best Bob's period.
Old 02-05-2024, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

They discussed this on Stern this morning. I was wondering if any clips of Lindsey were in the Netflix special. I thought about posting this in the Lindsey thread. Apparently Sheena Easton was dating Prince at the time and felt used. She felt they only invited her so Prince would come. Prince was a douche as usual, not wanting people to look at him singing and wanted to play guitar in a separate room alone. He was upset that Lionel and Michael told him that the music to the song was already written and did not need music. Prince then stayed home. Sheena Easton was upset and felt used to get Prince there and they did not ask her to sing a solo part.
Bob Dylan seemed really nervous and Stevie Wonder had to teach him on the piano to sing his part.
I wonder how Lindsey was asked to participate. Has he ever spoken about his role or how he participated. If Lindsey was in the special, I would watch it.

Villavic, why do you keep mentioning Stevie participating? You have information she was asked? I dont think she was asked.
I always love the way Lindsey signed his name BIG and CENTER at the beginning of the video. Cyndi Lauper stated she had a miserable time being there. The recording went on all night.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
They discussed this on Stern this morning. I was wondering if any clips of Lindsey were in the Netflix special. I thought about posting this in the Lindsey thread. Apparently Sheena Easton was dating Prince at the time and felt used. She felt they only invited her so Prince would come. Prince was a douche as usual, not wanting people to look at him singing and wanted to play guitar in a separate room alone. He was upset that Lionel and Michael told him that the music to the song was already written and did not need music. Prince then stayed home. Sheena Easton was upset and felt used to get Prince there and they did not ask her to sing a solo part.
Bob Dylan seemed really nervous and Stevie Wonder had to teach him on the piano to sing his part.
I wonder how Lindsey was asked to participate. Has he ever spoken about his role or how he participated. If Lindsey was in the special, I would watch it.

Villavic, why do you keep mentioning Stevie participating? You have information she was asked? I dont think she was asked.
I always love the way Lindsey signed his name BIG and CENTER at the beginning of the video. Cyndi Lauper stated she had a miserable time being there. The recording went on all night.
They just mentioned Lindsey and showed a picture, at the beginning. No interview.

It was Sheila E., not Sheena Easton (she wasn't there). And yes she was interviewed and talked about Prince, and explained why she felt used.

I don't have information if Stevie was asked, as I said in my first post, I wonder if they asked her to participate. But being popular in the 80s, I'm curious why they didn't ask her (and asked Lindsey instead) if they didn't. It was early 1985, she didn't release an album in '84 but The Wild Heart was a great success in '83 so she surely still was considered a star. Lindsey was included, though Go Insane ('84) just peaked at #45. He was mentioned at the beginning of the doc: "and we asked the other artists that we had on our roster, like Kim Carnes and Lindsey Buckingham ". Why they had Lindsey in their roster, they didn't explain. I was happy he was there, but angry he was back in the last row.

They asked artists who not necessarily were in LA at that time. Dionne Warwick was in Vegas and had to fly that night. So geography was not an issue.

And the purpose of We Are The World was getting money to help Ethiopians. Though there were great musicians, the presence of well known stars was a better factor to acheive the goal.

The explanation of why Madonna was not invited does not satisfy me either. But she was in Live Aid, where no Fleetwood Mac member was (Philadelfia or Wembley).
Old 02-05-2024, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
Why they had Lindsey in their roster, they didn't explain. I was happy he was there, but angry he was back in the last row.
At least he got to stand next to Dan Aykroyd rather than be mixed in with the rest of the crowd. BTW, thanks folks for the heads up. I was going to take the time to watch this because I wanted to see if there was anything on Lindsey but apparently and sadly not.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
I wanted to see if there was anything on Lindsey but apparently and sadly not.
Besides some scenes when he appears among the people, just this picture when he's mentioned.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aaa.jpg (99.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-05-2024, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have never heard Lindsey speak of this experience and I always wanted to hear from him. Who called him? What was it like with all those egos? He knew Kenny Loggins and I wonder how he got along with the others.
Just always peaked my interest. Its part of Lindsey history we don't know. Also why not interview him for the special?
Old 02-05-2024, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey was asked because Ken Kragen was involved and he managed Lindsey at the time. Many people there were on the "roster" of Ken Kragen. There is a bit of footage of him in the documentary. It's worth watching. I don't think stayed after his part was over. I do remember reading where he ended up in the bathroom with Michael Jackson but didn't talk to him. I feel like Lindsey thought he was doing this as a favor to Ken.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 02-05-2024, 03:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I found the article where he talked about that night. It was on Rob Lowes podcast. He walked into the bathroom and scared Michael Jackson who was standing in front of a mirror and in there by himself. Lindsey waved, did his business and left. Lindsey knew he was there as part of the chorus. He said there were so many people there and he was happy to be a part of it.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 02-05-2024, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
Lindsey was asked because Ken Kragen was involved and he managed Lindsey at the time. Many people there were on the "roster" of Ken Kragen. There is a bit of footage of him in the documentary. It's worth watching. I don't think stayed after his part was over. I do remember reading where he ended up in the bathroom with Michael Jackson but didn't talk to him. I feel like Lindsey thought he was doing this as a favor to Ken.
Thank you for this. That makes total sense. While famous he was probably the least recognizable artist in this bunch. I knew there had to be some connection.
I would love to know his thoughts about all those egos.