User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmanastrat View Post
I´m a firm beliver in plugging straight into the amp without any junk inbetween, cheeky touch reverb is nice and a wah wah for a change of sound every now and then, for i´m a beliver that its all in the hands, although have you heard santana these days since he stopped using the SG he has a horrible tone.
Carlos Santana plays Paul Reed Smith guitars, a great guitar company. I was never a fan of Santana's tone, so it's how he has it set up. PRS guitars and Mesa-Boogie amps in theory should give you a great sound.

In fact PRS is currently Jeremy Spencer's guitar of choice. From what I've heard of his recent work, he has a great tone.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
he uses a stock
Lab 5 Amp with 2 12 jensen speakers
on the road when requesting amplification
he uses a Fender Twin with 2 12 lansing speakers( he will not use a fender twin II)dont know what year
(this is from his road manager included with book BB King "Treasures"

In the sixties and seventies he travelled with two fender Twins He had one channel for each input of the gibson stereo. ES355TDSV
everything else was TONE

doodyhead, mel and vinnie
That Lab5 must be a special SS amp, if he's using Fender Twins the rest of the time.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Junior Ledgie

"PRS guitars and Mesa-Boogie amps in theory should give you a great sound."

Occasionally Santana does manage a good tone from this setup, so for sure it's possible, although usually he tends to opt for that overly smooth flat sounding commercial driven noise
Old 02-25-2009, 11:54 PM
Junior Ledgie

okay, so we're discussing boutique amps. here's where I'm at on this. A decent guitarplayer can get a good sound with just about any equipment, IMO.Buying a boutique amp doesn't insure good quality at all either. I spent some time at the Kendrik Amp factory in Austin, TX in the early 90's. Monkeys assembling crappy Fender knockoffs with radioshack parts, folks.
I've witnessed several performances where guitarists would use a Dumble overdrive special or steelstringer, John Mayer at the Grammy's comes to mind, sounded like a Peavey Bandit to me. Santana recently switched from Boogies to Dumble, I sure can't tell the difference. Played a gig recently with a fellow who used a Dr. Z, the treble just about killed my ears, our other guitarist used a Badcat in the studio last year and the tone wasn't happening until I gave him my WEM Dominator ($200 amp) to try, another friend owns a Victoria 4x10', the thing is a bit better than a Fender reissue but rattles at high volumes and nobody knows why or how to fix it, now to the flipside of the story, I already mentioned the WEM Dominator, another great amp is the Epiphone valvejunior ( supercheap), crate made a few really good ones and don't forget the Digital Hybrid amps ( Line 6, etc) . I saw Tom Anderson ( Dwight Yokam) using a $350 Epiphone Hollowbody and a Line 6 and he sounded spectacular. my favorite amps are regular Fenders from back in the day, they always sound good. Boutique amps are attractive to people who like to blame it on the gear.
Just my 2 cents

Last edited by yeti; 02-25-2009 at 11:57 PM..
Old 02-26-2009, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeti View Post
okay, so we're discussing boutique amps. Santana recently switched from Boogies to Dumble, I sure can't tell the difference.

I have no idea what Dumble's are, but since Mesa Boogie were the first "boutique" amp company to become successful from the late 70's, I don't understand this comparison. You mean all boutique amps are alike?

Quote:
Another friend owns a Victoria 4x10', the thing is a bit better than a Fender reissue but rattles at high volumes and nobody knows why or how to fix it, now to the flipside of the story.
I don't care about that amp, I want to know about their 35W combo tube amp the Victorilux. That amp would be heaven on earth for the likes of Keith Richards, Joe Walsh (when he cared before he joined the devil (Eagles)), and Peter Green.

Quote:
I already mentioned the WEM Dominator, another great amp is the Epiphone valvejunior ( supercheap), crate made a few really good ones and don't forget the Digital Hybrid amps ( Line 6, etc) . I saw Tom Anderson ( Dwight Yokam) using a $350 Epiphone Hollowbody and a Line 6 and he sounded spectacular. my favorite amps are regular Fenders from back in the day, they always sound good. Boutique amps are attractive to people who like to blame it on the gear.
Just my 2 cents

Now this is useful information. I will pass it along.

Last edited by slipkid; 02-26-2009 at 08:33 AM..
Old 02-26-2009, 07:43 AM
Senior Ledgie

[QUOTE=yeti;800070]okay, so we're discussing boutique amps. here's where I'm at on this. A decent guitarplayer can get a good sound with just about any equipment, IMO.Buying a boutique amp doesn't insure good quality at all either.

As we are all obviously Greeny fans this is of course not an issue of contention. We can all agree that the most essential ingredient for a good tone is actually being able to play.
But ask me what i would prefer, tube or solid state and i would always choose tube. One thing about tubes i find is there is no hiding on them. What i mean by that is the sound can be quite exposing sometimes the clarity of it, as it really does react to what u put in IMO.
Boutique amps can be bought much cheaper than what most people think, just need to look around for independent makers. The boss of my band makes them here is his site
http://www.beteramp.com/
Old 02-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Tiny Tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodyhead View Post
like librax said, it sounds like a goot time was had. lucky folks

I also hope they are encouraged to want to take the show on the road,

or at least make a live video/audio recording for us out here in the wilderness

the road is ha harsh task master and I would not blame them for a modest adventure

doodyhead, mel and vinnie
Yes it wold be great if they filmed and recorded the five concerts. At one point Mike Dodd said - that was very appropriately - following 'Dance On' - that they had recorded and listened to the first show in Leffingen in the band car on the way to Amsterdam, and said that it was like a sixties revival for them

Wouter thanks for the set list! But to me it was like they didn't quite follow it, especially at the end. I am looking forward to see your impressions of the concert. I was with two friends who don't know anything whatsoever about PG (or music for that matter), so it would be nice to get another opinion from someone who is actually knowledgeable about PG when you get the time.

For those who asked about guitar and equipment (which I don't know so much about) - I think he played a blue stratocaster and used a funny little chubby almost "retro design" amp that I have never seen before (please don't laugh at me for this description)!

I wish some 'reviews' from Leffingen, Tillbourg, Hamburg and the 66 concert in ? will appear here soon.

Ms Moose
Old 02-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Wouter thanks for the set list! But to me it was like they didn't quite follow it, especially at the end. I am looking forward to see your impressions of the concert. I was with two friends who don't know anything whatsoever about PG (or music for that matter), so it would be nice to get another opinion from someone who is actually knowledgeable about PG when you get the time.
Ms Moose
Well, as for following the setlist, they turned Stranger Blues and Off The Hook around, but that's all.

Sorry I missed you at the show, don't know what you look like. I was standing in the middle at the right of the hall, just behind the old fireplace. That gave me the opportunity not to have anybody in front of me and thus interfering with the music getting to the microphone. I wore my GREENY T-shirt.

As for the show, during the show I felt Peter had been much better as a vocalist as well as a guitar player during his Splinter Group period. Now that I've listened to it again, I'm not as critical anymore. However, I still feel that the Splinter Group was much better at supporting Peter as well as taking lead. Mike Dodd's voice is not as powerfull as Nigel Watson's. Also he did not do any lead guitar. When he made a false attempt to the second verse of Off The Hook, he did not just proceed, making the band having to follow him. He actually apologized, which he did quite often, saying it was only their second gig. This is IMO rather amateuristic. I mean, who in a regular audience would ever notice???

The next day I walked around in Amsterdam and suddenly Peter end Mike crossed my path. Although still wearing my GREENY T-shirt I did not have the nerve to speak to him. I was afraid he might ask me what I thought of the show. I'd hate to have to lie, or to have to tell him (and Mike) what I really thought of it at the time.

Anyway.... I have my recording ready. Just wondering how to get it to you all. I don't know how to transform to a torrent file and upload.
Anybdy got any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2009, 04:08 AM
Ledgie

Hi Wouter, Register at, for example

http://www.thetradersden.org

There's a FAQ there on how to seed files and create a bittorrent. There's some learning and work involved especially if it's your first time but not overly complicated. Looking forward to hear the show!

Bjorn
Old 02-27-2009, 04:49 AM
Junior Ledgie

"Mike Dodd's voice is not as powerfull as Nigel Watson's. Also he did not do any lead guitar."

That sounds like good news to me

And Albert ross sounded like good news too!
Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Paradiso Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Well, as for following the setlist, they turned Stranger Blues and Off The Hook around, but that's all.

Sorry I missed you at the show, don't know what you look like. I was standing in the middle at the right of the hall, just behind the old fireplace. That gave me the opportunity not to have anybody in front of me and thus interfering with the music getting to the microphone. I wore my GREENY T-shirt.

As for the show, during the show I felt Peter had been much better as a vocalist as well as a guitar player during his Splinter Group period. Now that I've listened to it again, I'm not as critical anymore. However, I still feel that the Splinter Group was much better at supporting Peter as well as taking lead. Mike Dodd's voice is not as powerfull as Nigel Watson's. Also he did not do any lead guitar. When he made a false attempt to the second verse of Off The Hook, he did not just proceed, making the band having to follow him. He actually apologized, which he did quite often, saying it was only their second gig. This is IMO rather amateuristic. I mean, who in a regular audience would ever notice???

The next day I walked around in Amsterdam and suddenly Peter end Mike crossed my path. Although still wearing my GREENY T-shirt I did not have the nerve to speak to him. I was afraid he might ask me what I thought of the show. I'd hate to have to lie, or to have to tell him (and Mike) what I really thought of it at the time.

Anyway.... I have my recording ready. Just wondering how to get it to you all. I don't know how to transform to a torrent file and upload.
Thank you very much, Wouter! I was standing at the right side too, but close to the stage wearing a large orange scarf. I know that music is actually better heard at the back, but I was worried that I wouldn't be able to see anything if I didn't get close to the stage (the dutch seem very tall!). I knew that PG is usually standing at the right side of the stage (from the audience point of view) but I hadn't counted on him sitting almost sideways, so I couldn't see his fingerwork proberly or the print on the guitar, but it gave me a pretty good view of the dynamics on the stage. Compared to my memory of Splintergroup - where Peter seemed to want to hide most of the time - it didn't appear like that here. He seemed more relaxed and part of things.

I had never been to a concert in Amsterdam and did not know the building. I had brought case for The Anthology for him to sign (as I could not drag my entire record/cd collection with me on a plane) but it was hopeless getting near him. A good thing maybe if they want to keep him away from stress and horrible fans I can understand your reluctancy about contacting him on the street.
I never noticed the GREENY T-shirt! I would certainly have asked were you got that from if I had! What is it?

Thanks for all the trouble you have had recording it and now trying to distribute it to all us grateful ledgies.

Ms Moose
Old 02-27-2009, 10:02 AM
Ledgie

I think you need a bit torrent program to turn your files into a torrent. I have bit-torrent on my system but have only very occasionally used it to download TV programmes I have missed, and one live Peter Gabriel concert.

I think what the people who recorded the Gabriel concert did was convert each individual track into an mp3, then make a torrent...with bit torrent you can choose to download all the files within a torrent or just some.

Hope that helps a bit. Try downloading bittorrent and experimenting!
Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wouter Vuijk View Post
Would uploading to something like Rapidshare work also? I'm also not that familiar with this stuff.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
I never noticed the GREENY T-shirt! I would certainly have asked were you got that from if I had! What is it?

Ms Moose
This is where I got it from:
http://www.djtees.com/tshop/store/li...idCategory=706

Wouter
Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
Would uploading to something like Rapidshare work also? I'm also not that familiar with this stuff.

Mediafire works fine too.
I would very much like to have wav files,
but we're not going to demand stuff from our generous friend!