User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post

That said her vocals on some of the songs would have added to them.
She would have sounded good on Lay Down for Free.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
that's the thing. She had no new material even for SYW-- hence the asking for an additional month delay in starting so she could bust a$$ trying to crank out at least a couple new songs so that, as Mick himself notes in the doc, she wasn't the only one not coming with new material.

She couldn't or wouldn't fork over even one.single.new.song for the EP.

She scribbles words in her notebooks but there's no ability to write any decent tunes anymore.... e.g., Silver Girl, Sweet Girl......

That said her vocals on some of the songs would have added to them.
Not true. Illume, Say You Will, Silver Girl and Destiny Rules were all newly written by Stevie explicitly for the Say You Will album. She also gave the band a CD of 18 demos of unreleased songs, including Trouble in Shangri-La outtakes Thrown Down and Everybody Finds Out.

I am dying to hear My Mother's Rings. It must be the only finished song Stevie Nicks has managed to keep locked in the vault. Just about every other demo she has made has miraculously leaked to YouTube. She really does have crappy friends constantly leaking her musical works to the inter webs.

Neil Finn could add some magical vocal harmonies to Julia. I can also hear Mike Campbell's baritone on Space Needle. But both Julia and Space Needle could be sent into the stratosphere with Lindsey's vocals and finger picking.

Last edited by secret love; 03-10-2019 at 05:04 AM..
Old 03-10-2019, 05:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
She would have sounded good on Lay Down for Free.
She refused to sing on Come, do you really think she would have sang on a song with the line "I stood by, beside our broken bed"? Lay Down for Free is an even more suggestive title than Come. LDFF evokes a sense of not having sex for nothing. Come is just another word for climaxing.
Obviously Buckingham McVie did not come to Australia, so I have never and will never get to hear Lay Down for Free, save for the chance of Lindsey getting his voice back and performing it solo in Sydney one day.
But tell me, what is stopping Fleetwood Mac from performing Christine's song Carnival Begin? No issues with royalties, she wrote it by herself, so they would not need to give any money to Lindsey from the performance... unless he gets some other form of royalty other than a writing one. But so what? When Neil sings Second Hand News, doesn't Lindsey get royalties from that performance?

Last edited by secret love; 03-10-2019 at 05:19 AM..
Old 03-10-2019, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
. . . do you really think she would have sang on a song with the line "I stood by, beside our broken bed"? Lay Down for Free is an even more suggestive title than Come. LDFF evokes a sense of not having sex for nothing.
While Lindsey will utilize double entendres in his lyrics, I believe in this case the lyric “I won’t lay down for free” has to do with the fact that there is very little money in recording new music - the “lay down” refers to laying down tracks for a new album. Those who stand to profit would prefer their clients to tour in lieu of spending time recording new music, as well as some band members and back-up musicians.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought LDFF lyrics were pretty ****ing obvious, who honestly thought it was about sex! really?
Old 03-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She really does have crappy friends constantly leaking her musical works to the inter webs.
Errrr sorry but she only has herself to blame for this. It’s a well known fact that Stevie would hand out demo cassettes to just about anybody, especially at parties. She was just too stoned/high/drunk to remember and now blames everyone else.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She refused to sing on Come, do you really think she would have sang on a song with the line "I stood by, beside our broken bed"? Lay Down for Free is an even more suggestive title than Come. LDFF evokes a sense of not having sex for nothing. Come is just another word for climaxing.
Thanks for the sex education.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcrazylove View Post
I thought LDFF lyrics were pretty ****ing obvious, who honestly thought it was about sex! really?
I know. It’s about what all of Lindsey’s songs are about, front Wrong to Bel Air Rain. Heck, even the Holiday Road video is about the same thing.

I guess SHN is just about sex too.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfan View Post
While Lindsey will utilize double entendres in his lyrics, I believe in this case the lyric “I won’t lay down for free” has to do with the fact that there is very little money in recording new music - the “lay down” refers to laying down tracks for a new album. Those who stand to profit would prefer their clients to tour in lieu of spending time recording new music, as well as some band members and back-up musicians.
And I love the double entendres, for instance Time Bomb Town is one of my favorite songs.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubrick2788 View Post
@iamnotafraid, I'm glad someone thinks the same way I do about the Buckingham/McVie album. It certainly has its moments, and some that scream 'I was supposed to be a FM song,' but overall it still feels halfhearted.
Good then, at least there's two of us.

Some of those songs scream to me that
they should have never made the album.

Makes me wonder if any of them can actually sing
anymore. Which leads me to think if Lindsey's
vocal chords were damaged during surgery, is
it possible with an operation to repair his vocal
chords, that his voice might actually improve
over the way it's been for the past decade or
more?
Old 03-11-2019, 01:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Good then, at least there's two of us.

Some of those songs scream to me that
they should have never made the album.

Makes me wonder if any of them can actually sing
anymore. Which leads me to think if Lindsey's
vocal chords were damaged during surgery, is
it possible with an operation to repair his vocal
chords, that his voice might actually improve
over the way it's been for the past decade or
more?
I think that that's completely wishful thinking.

I sure hope you're right.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Game of Pretend and On with the Show are bad songs and because the album has only 10, they really skewer the album quality down as a whole. If it was an album with 12 songs and only those 2 clunkers it would not have mattered so much.

And my problem is that because I am not hip, I still play an album in the sequence that it comes in. So those two awful songs are back to back for me. I could remove them from the whole album when I stream or I could create a playlist where they fall in a different order and are not back to back. But I don’t do that. Those 2 are a negative weight, but I love the other songs.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I think Game of Pretend and On with the Show are bad songs and because the album has only 10, they really skewer the album quality down as a whole. If it was an album with 12 songs and only those 2 clunkers it would not have mattered so much.

And my problem is that because I am not hip, I still play an album in the sequence that it comes in. So those two awful songs are back to back for me. I could remove them from the whole album when I stream or I could create a playlist where they fall in a different order and are not back to back. But I don’t do that. Those 2 are a negative weight, but I love the other songs.
It's weird, the differences in taste. While I agree that Game of Pretend is a snooze fest, I love OWTS! And yet I find Lay Down FF to be a complete filler song. LDFF is the worst song on there, imo.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think LDFF might be my favorite on the album.

I love SATC but was disappointed that it was so unchanged from the original. Duet! I really wanted more Chris involvement in it, because it “felt” like Chris the minute I first heard it.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Errrr sorry but she only has herself to blame for this. It’s a well known fact that Stevie would hand out demo cassettes to just about anybody, especially at parties. She was just too stoned/high/drunk to remember and now blames everyone else.
Space Needle and Thrown Down were recorded for the Trouble in Shangri-La record, around the time when Stevie gave up tobacco cigarettes and indulged only in the occasional joint or bong. I highly doubt she was drunk or high when Space Needle leaked to YouTube. She would have given it to Jeremy Doe or some other schmuck who leaked it without her knowledge.